Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Men in tights [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Replying to everyone, can we discuss women in tights? Running in them is fine, I assume. Yes?

Is wearing running tights or capris to the store so bad? EVERYBODY complains about it, but is it truly bad? If the general rule is that it's bad, does that rule have to apply to ME if I'm fine doing it?

Two nights ago, I hung out with my girlfriends. They said they see me running all the time, and they complained that I never wave back. I've only seen them three (3!) times while running this school year. I guess I don't look in cars that pass. This makes me think we (runners) are much more visible than we know! I guess I thought we are anonymous and mysterious. Turns out everyone knows what we're doing!

I don't know what my point is. Perhaps I don't have a point. Or, perhaps we DO need to consider our clothing choices since everyone sees us. The world is a stage!

I know that I've mentioned this before, but I have found that in the weight room, a tech race shirt is a pretty effective Invisibility Cloak

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:

This!
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!! Just a quick kudos... since everyone else seems to have either missed your response or not appreciated it.

In search of the righteous life... we all fall down
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Thermal-Cycling-Tights-Black/dp/B00PVXNC92/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1547505141&sr=8-8&keywords=baleaf+men

Picked these up over the weekend and ran with them on Sunday, temp was in the low 20's with windchill in the teens and I was really warm, almost too warm with them. Definitely a fan after the first run, will be interested in how they work this weekend with a high of 15 on Sunday for my long run, for $23 though you can't really go wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Replying to everyone, can we discuss women in tights? Running in them is fine, I assume. Yes?

Is wearing running tights or capris to the store so bad? EVERYBODY complains about it, but is it truly bad? If the general rule is that it's bad, does that rule have to apply to ME if I'm fine doing it?

Two nights ago, I hung out with my girlfriends. They said they see me running all the time, and they complained that I never wave back. I've only seen them three (3!) times while running this school year. I guess I don't look in cars that pass. This makes me think we (runners) are much more visible than we know! I guess I thought we are anonymous and mysterious. Turns out everyone knows what we're doing!

I don't know what my point is. Perhaps I don't have a point. Or, perhaps we DO need to consider our clothing choices since everyone sees us. The world is a stage!

If I may ask, whereabouts are you located? Here in Austin, it's almost more odd to see women not in running tights/ capris/ boogie shorts/ leggings than in them. Young, old, fit, round, working out, errands, whatever. The "tights are not pants" battle was won (by the non-puritans) years ago. Go right ahead and wear them.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:

I don't know about SD these days, but women's leggings are all the rage for normal wear amongst women in Arizona it seems. My girlfriend has way too many, let's just put it that way. She doesn't run in shorts at all.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From one of the most northern parts (true northerner) of the country here almost Canadian / US border...now transplanted elsewhere. No shorts under/over. Use something like a fleece lined tights such as Adidas Clima-Warm tights (fantastic for almost all winter running). If it gets really cold (in the teens or low 20's, then use something like a Craft Windproof boxer or Lifa Windbrief. Colder than teens, definitely another light layer such as a Craft thermal underwear under that for single digits, or a windproof pant.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
women's leggings are all the rage for normal wear amongst women in Arizona it seems.

I think my post about women and running tights was silly. Yes, lots of women in SD run in tights and capris.

Maybe the young ones are still wearing leggings, but women in my area really don't wear them. I'm frequently the only one at the schools or grocery stores in workout clothes. I feel like my friends and other people in my immediate community just might have higher standards than I have. Or maybe just different standards.

Whatever. It's all silly. The end.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgoehner wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Thermal-Cycling-Tights-Black/dp/B00PVXNC92/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1547505141&sr=8-8&keywords=baleaf+men

Picked these up over the weekend and ran with them on Sunday, temp was in the low 20's with windchill in the teens and I was really warm, almost too warm with them. Definitely a fan after the first run, will be interested in how they work this weekend with a high of 15 on Sunday for my long run, for $23 though you can't really go wrong.

Thanks, just picked up a pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Ok, those northerners. How do you run in tights? Shorts underneath, shorts on top? Of junktastic?

Wait, shorts under tights is an option? Oh dear.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Ok, those northerners. How do you run in tights? Shorts underneath, shorts on top? Of junktastic?

Wait, shorts under tights is an option? Oh dear.

Ok some explaination as OP. I bought my tights when I was in college, they were spring tights but that was all I could get at the time as I was poor and they were on clearance. Never bothered to buy better tights (but perhaps I should) and when putting them on not only was there a dick print but I could see right through them. Like folds and details. So I put shorts underneath thinking on top looked dumb. But they were wrinkled. Then I saw someone go on top, looked like a dress but more comfortable. Never thought of putting tri shorts underneath. Probably give that a go, along with some heavier weighted tights.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full Disclosure: I don't own any tights

If I want to run outside, in the cold, I wear regular baggy cotton sweatpants, with compression shorts underneath

OR I'll find an excuse to go to the gym and use the Treadmill; that's why I have a membership anyway, right?

Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Triathletes making fun of other triathletes for fashion choices.

Now that's rich.
This

I'm surprised at the number of derogatory comments suggesting you don't need more than shorts down to freezing point. Need? Perhaps not. But why wouldn't you wear tights if they're more comfortable? Sheep. Now you see, it's infectious - I'm being insulting too!

Seriously. A slow run is not enough to keep me warm in cold, wet, windy weather. I'll wear what I like and not care in the least what anyone else thinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Full Disclosure: I don't own any tights

If I want to run outside, in the cold, I wear regular baggy cotton sweatpants, with compression shorts underneath

OR I'll find an excuse to go to the gym and use the Treadmill; that's why I have a membership anyway, right?

Also why I never bought heavier tights. While working at a gym during a particularly ice and snow covered Massachusetts winter I was doing more dreadmill workouts and discovered that I was actually getting a better workout without the snow and cold to screw everything up.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorts over tights only slightly less hilarious than wife beater + camo cargo shorts + crocs (all of which should never be worn - ever)
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is hilarious. The tunnel vision exhibited here is priceless.

But again, the difference is that the entire (including non-tri) population would have an adverse reaction to the wife beater. In contrast, the miniscule tri (and perhaps running) population appears to be adverse to short over tights whereas the population at large I have NO doubt would (1) prefer a male to wear shorts over the tights and (2) cringe at the thought of the man in long tights with nothing else

I can only assume that everyone here voting for tights with nothing on top also blithely assumes that they look normal, perhaps even cool, riding outdoors with their cycling kits and/or trisuits.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been proven miserably wrong, twice now, about the tights/sweats.

A 10k night run at about 45deg and also a 30 deg 5k last night....my overdressing proved to become a disgusting sweat locker mess. 2 miles into the 5k my outfit felt like two high schoolers trying to have sex with their clothes on and windows up in the summertime. It was that much sweat and heat.

So stupid.

No joke, I’m trying the shorts the next run. It’s a route with no stops anyway.

I’ve been defeated. There is something to the half naked runners when it’s cold outside.

I will now join your ranks. I have been proven stupid and ignorant.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bros this reading this exercise my imagination lol. Tights is more convenient in many scenarios when it come to triathlon but I always think it would be best if what you think will fit for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I’ve been defeated. There is something to the half naked runners when it’s cold outside.

VICTORY!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
TJ56 wrote:
Same guys that wear a towel to the shower and back are the ones wearing the shorts over the tights :)

That's me in both cases
There are some sights you just don't deliberately inflict upon the world

just so.

wore shorts over tights in the bad old days before fleece-lined tights and windbriefs, it was the only option for seriously cold weather. Once clothing tech caught up, windbriefs under the tights.

Now I'm old and flabby, wear shorts over tights, or running pants. No-one needs to see old men in tights.. still wear them because I'm not going to throw them away, but not going to replace them either. Meantime the shorts cover up the old man going down the road..
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
No-one needs to see old men in tights..

Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
shorts over tights, especially since that combo is on this list: https://www.runnersworld.com/...t-50-years/?slide=30

thanks, a trip down memory lane.. remember most of those magazine covers, and perpetrated many of the dress code violations..

triathletes got nothing to say about fashion, though - Dave Scott and Kenny..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
So, there was a dad hanging out at the basketball courts during my kids' league's practice yesterday and today. He was wearing bright white tights under dark shorts. I didn't really look at him b/c his clothes looked too new and he looked too well-groomed. I'm not into fastidious guys. (His hair was neither feathered nor flowing.)

This evening my husband asked me if I had seen Eric Weddle at the practices. He's apparently some NFL guy who just returned to town after the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. I googled his pic. Yep, the guy in tights and shorts was Eric Weddle.

Is that where they fight each other with the oval ball or one of the round ones?

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
This thread is hilarious. The tunnel vision exhibited here is priceless.

But again, the difference is that the entire (including non-tri) population would have an adverse reaction to the wife beater. In contrast, the miniscule tri (and perhaps running) population appears to be adverse to short over tights whereas the population at large I have NO doubt would (1) prefer a male to wear shorts over the tights and (2) cringe at the thought of the man in long tights with nothing else

I can only assume that everyone here voting for tights with nothing on top also blithely assumes that they look normal, perhaps even cool, riding outdoors with their cycling kits and/or trisuits.

Maybe it's a bit different on the other side of the ocean, but in the Netherlands almost every runner runs in tights. Without something over those tights. I don't see why you would put shorts on top of tights. If your junk shows, maybe people should try tights with a better quality fabric ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [wilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt it is different across the pond; that is cultural
Quote Reply

Prev Next