Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Men in tights [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair we’re they 3/4 length compression shorts under a baggy basketball type of short vs a shorter running short? The baggy short/longer compression short combo is pretty common especially with basketball players (see Russell Westbrook). I know Weddle is a pro football player but I’ve seen guys wear that combo often during training.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Same guys that wear a towel to the shower and back are the ones wearing the shorts over the tights :)

I actually think these are completely different issues! The fit younger guys who know how to run never wear shorts over their tights but they all wear towels to/from the shower. It's the fat old men who, IF they run at all in the winter, do it with shorts over their tights that are letting it swing free all over the locker room.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
To be fair we’re they 3/4 length compression shorts under a baggy basketball type of short vs a shorter running short? The baggy short/longer compression short combo is pretty common especially with basketball players (see Russell Westbrook). I know Weddle is a pro football player but I’ve seen guys wear that combo often during training.

For Weddle, he had mid-calf length tights. Not full length tights. Not traditional capris that end just below the knee. Half of his enormous calves were exposed. The shorts were dark and baggy and knee length. I'm not sure if they were basketball shorts. I did not look carefully.

I just came home from the USD v. Pepperdine basketball game. Great game. Tragic loss for USD. ALL of the players on USD's team wore compression shorts, capris or mid-calf tights. No long tights. I didn't count the number of tights on Pepperdine's team. I'm a USD fan! Go Toreros!

What was your question?
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
People can do as they wish.

It seems like this issue is tearing our Slowtwitch family apart! I didn't think it mattered, but I was wrong. (Again!) This issue should be submitted to binding arbitration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No real question but more of a comment. Mid calf compression tights under basketball type shorts- common and ok. Full length running tights under running shorts- less ok.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear shorts over my tights and wear a towel to the shower. So what's the problem?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone can wear tights. Anyone can wear speedos.

Hell, women now wear tights everywhere. I've started seeing them on girls working in cafes, and I'm not complaining. I think it's more than fair to run in a junktastic pair of tights and make the world a better place.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Junktastic. I have a range of tights in different thicknesses, the warmest ones are good down to a bit below freezing, where I live it doesn't get colder than that. My cold weather running tops are loose and fairly long so give a bit of cover, and I'm running from the moment I leave the house to the moment I get back to it, I'm not hanging around in coffee shops displaying my lycra-clad junk to all and sundry (not that there's much to see when it's that cold anyway!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Ok, those northerners. How do you run in tights? Shorts underneath, shorts on top? Of junktastic?

This comes straight from the late, great Arthur Lydiard - women's underwear - just the briefs. He told us this at one of his Dallas training camps way back when there were still men running in jock straps.

Women's undies are like the briefs that are sewn into many old school running shorts, except better because they are independent of the short or tights in this case.

Finding the right size could be tricky as the women's undies are sold by hip size rather than waist size???

They are way better than men's underwear because there is nothing to rub against in front while running.

Relatively cheap at Walmart. Hope you find some colors/prints that work for you.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seamless wicking briefs underneath
Shorts on top

Primary purpose of the shorts (in my mind) is to carry a phone.. I like running with music and have several pairs wear my phone fits snugly, centered, in a back zip pocket.I'm happier in a pair of shorts then an arm band or something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorts over is a big no no. Junktastic or nothing!
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Anyone can wear tights. Anyone can wear speedos.

Anyone can. Few should
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my dick print is the least embarrassing thing about being in tights. my leg layering goes like this in order of how cold it gets

shorts
tights
tights with shorts
tights with light pants
tights with mid weight pants
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was on the swim team in highschool - everyone wore Jammers.
In college - haha youd be laughed off the pool deck. It was speedo brief or go home.

After that - ha tights are modest! If someone ever gives me shi* - my first response is why ya lookin at my junk. Then I proceed to do the gyrating hip motion..maybe a little helicopter..and it makes everyone really uncomfortable except me.

Proceed with my workout with some stretched pelvic muscles. Win win
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
In college - haha youd be laughed off the pool deck. It was speedo brief or go home

Honest question. How long ago was this? Because I though jammers were faster and more durable? Or am I mistaken?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [PandP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PandP wrote:
Shorts over is a big no no. Junktastic or nothing!

Maybe shorts over top on the really cold days... those days are less junktastic...

"Girls know about it right? Shrinkage?..."
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
... But my under-armour tights are only good to about 40 deg. ...

Scratched head...

You need different tights dude. Or HTFU. Back before I made a conscious effort of pushing my shorts-threshold down, it was at 4*C = 40F. There is no way any pair of tights is too cold in that temperature.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Last edited by: Richard Blaine: Jan 14, 19 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: re-fresh: Jan 14, 19 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Same guys that wear a towel to the shower and back are the ones wearing the shorts over the tights :)
If you mention it, you gotta post it

It's a rule

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Twinkie wrote:
In college - haha youd be laughed off the pool deck. It was speedo brief or go home

Honest question. How long ago was this? Because I though jammers were faster and more durable? Or am I mistaken?

Well I was a diver (you are included with the swimmers since you gain points for the swim team). So jammers are of no effect. People wore them if they couldn't do a speedo haha

As far as the swimmers - yea in high school "speedsuits" were the big thing at states. This was 2007. Although one kid wore a floral print pink speedo because our team was full of goofy morons haha in college - people raced in speedo's. I dont recall seeing many speedsuits from the deck. I also don't know NCAA swim rules regarding them though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just running tights or sometimes 'joggers' but never shorts over tights. There is also a huge difference between compression 'tights' that are meant to be worn under shorts and actual running tights...

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to everyone, can we discuss women in tights? Running in them is fine, I assume. Yes?

Is wearing running tights or capris to the store so bad? EVERYBODY complains about it, but is it truly bad? If the general rule is that it's bad, does that rule have to apply to ME if I'm fine doing it?

Two nights ago, I hung out with my girlfriends. They said they see me running all the time, and they complained that I never wave back. I've only seen them three (3!) times while running this school year. I guess I don't look in cars that pass. This makes me think we (runners) are much more visible than we know! I guess I thought we are anonymous and mysterious. Turns out everyone knows what we're doing!

I don't know what my point is. Perhaps I don't have a point. Or, perhaps we DO need to consider our clothing choices since everyone sees us. The world is a stage!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If guys can run in tights, I can't imagine that women running in tights would be bad :-) I do try to be conscious of what I'm about to wear into a store since I can wear some shorty shorts on a run but as anyone who does coffee rides knows, you'll be wearing that lycra into line for coffee :-)

I can relate to your experience with friends. Friends will tell me they saw me out cycling or running all the time and ask why I didn't wave at them lol! It's funnier to me when they say they saw me and I wasn't anywhere near the area :-)

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can we discuss women in tights?
---

In my experience, womens typically don't like it when men talk about womens in tights. It gets 'creepy' from their perspective (probably because we're a bunch of ogling creeps). For the most part, we over-approve, with some exceptions.

I think the analogous conversation would be womens running without bras...Nah, that won't end well either.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
... But my under-armour tights are only good to about 40 deg. ...

Scratched head...

You need different tights dude. Or HTFU. Back before I made a conscious effort of pushing my shorts-threshold down, it was at 4*C = 40F. There is no way any pair of tights is too cold in that temperature.

Running tonight. Air temp will be about 25 degrees F, real feel will be single digits. Thermal shirt with a wind guard built in, nylon shorts with a wind guard built in, running cap, and hand covers that only block the wind. If the air temp drops another 10 degrees I have a wool cap and gloves. I don't own running tights. Running tights are for the weak

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply

Prev Next