Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
My big takeaway was how badly he
lacks bike handling skills. He talks about taking corners hard and then falling on his ass stopped at a water fountain. It actually makes me worry that if he’s a professional then how bad are the amateur ranks? I’ve witnessed bad riding at IM events, but Lionel’s story brings new concern to my next race. It makes me aware of how many folks
simply cannot ride. I’m usually ripping around pretty good. I’m going to need to be very careful at my next race.

I don't mean this to sound too sarcastic, but how have you not noticed this and not been very careful before? I'm not a fantastic rider, but faster than most descending and it's pretty terrifying because you just don't know what most people are doing out there. Always be safe though!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need to dispense with all the chatter and have people give a definitive answer on whether they think LS will actually toe the line at Kona this year. Perhaps Slowman can make it a poll or something. I vote no. Given the timetable, it just doesn't seem humanly possible. Also, I think his pollyanna disposition in the video ("hey guys, great news, I've broken a bone!") masks something worse than he's admitting to us or himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the video sounds like ~50k and only able to use pull. But he said he’s seen noticeable improvement. I think the bigger concern is this

Is this smart decision to do or a “required” decision. If this was an mlb pitcher the organization would tell him to sit the bench and prepare for next year as that’s a much safer/better “investment” choice. Of course these are independent contractors who basically have to “hustle” to make even a living off the sport. Being that he’s got a fine time to actually race in Kona I can understand why he’s choosing the path he’s going. From afar and again 30k viewpoint, id tell him to sit out 2019 Kona in this particular instance with this particular type of athlete. LS hasn’t shown the capability to make “sound” judgments all the time with his own development. So coming back from this type of injury and then only have X weeks to bike/run....this just is not looking good...add the fact that it’s now going to be a pressure packed comeback, 1 shot at it.

I guess what I’m saying is that with all the past Info on LS, it certainly doesn’t sound like this will end well.

But again I get why he’s pushing for Kona. They only have X years to race and make money off that w sponsors/fans/industry etc. Pro triathletes are basically paid to race not sit on the sidelines. So I understand the pressure he’s prob putting on himself and is waiting very patiently to get back at it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
We need to dispense with all the chatter and have people give a definitive answer on whether they think LS will actually toe the line at Kona this year. Perhaps Slowman can make it a poll or something. I vote no. Given the timetable, it just doesn't seem humanly possible. Also, I think his pollyanna disposition in the video ("hey guys, great news, I've broken a bone!") masks something worse than he's admitting to us or himself.

I think he will be at IMMT unless his fracture doesn't heal.
And Cody Beals has already qualified, yes? So Lionel doesn't have to beat him. Not sure who else will be there. Kienle still needs to qualify, yes? Maybe there will be a stacked field of guys trying for their last chance to get it!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:

I'm with B_Doughtie, I'm worried about him doing to much once he's able to get back to it. If he can hold himself back, he's a quality enough athlete to where he can get his KQ without killing himself. He needs to be ok with coming in undertrained but fresh.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Celerius wrote:

I think he will be at IMMT unless his fracture doesn't heal.
And Cody Beals has already qualified, yes? So Lionel doesn't have to beat him. Not sure who else will be there. Kienle still needs to qualify, yes? Maybe there will be a stacked field of guys trying for their last chance to get it!

Kienle is in his last year of validation so he only needs to finish, that slot would roll past him.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any questions for Lionels up coming youtube videos. I am in Tucson con shooting.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He may have addressed before, but was the hitch in his gait a precursor to his injury? Is more physical therapy/mobility work on the drawing board? Hope his convalescence is going well and he is 100% healthy and fit when he races again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is he as nervous as the rest of us that he will do too much too quickly once he is able to train again?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
I do agree this could be the best thing to happen assuming he goes about it the right way!

Historically, this has been the issue.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just tell him to take it slow with his recovery. He doesn't have to get back to max fitness for IMMT just keep chipping away slowly but steadily.. then the night before the race put some Solestar insoles in his shoes and BOOM...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is Chewy taking his dad being home so much more now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is there only one Fresshii in PHX?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because Flower Child is better...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell us more about "training camp" with his mom and Erin.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More of an Original Chop Shop guy, myself.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you rather finish the Ironman World Championship in both 2019 and 2020 Or miss 2019 and win 2020?

What is your opinion of Cam Wurf?

Which triathlete best exemplifies being a professional?

Who is the most influential person in your life?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Anyone have any questions for Lionels up coming youtube videos. I am in Tucson con shooting.

If the stars align and Lionel can toe the line at Tremblant again, will he aim to be on time for the pro panel? Cause Cody Beals arrived first last year at the pro panel and the finish line. Whereas Lionel kept us all waiting both days... Coincidence?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw LS on Mt Lemmon this past Saturday riding Ashe and a couple guys went by me. Looked pretty damn good to me. No expert but appeared he was riding pretty hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody wins just because they swim a lot. I hope the best for him but it all depends on who shows up for IM MT
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When does Sanders say he is swimming 90k per week?

It sounds like he is cycling when he shouldn't be now, not letting the bone heal properly. He didn't mention swimming once in his last video.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit late to this thread but I just watched his latest video on YouTube. Based on his TRUE recovery date starting April 2nd, he's almost 8 weeks into the recovery. His cycling restrictions have been lifted up to 240 watts, so it's not like he's not doing anything, I'm sure he's out there doing long rides at 240 watts which is at least maintaining some good cycling base. I'm confident his cycling power will return quickly once all cycling restrictions are lifted.
I'm not sure he'll be 3 minutes faster in his swim, but if he is only 1 minute faster, than he should be able to make main pack in Kona if he doesn't mess up his periodization like he did last year.
The key to the whole thing will be his running, how quickly will he be able to return to run form. He states twelve weeks for complete recovery before he can start running, which puts him early June. Leaves him a couple of months to prep for IM Tremblant to qualify, and hopefully he doesn't have to sacrifice too much of a taper for that race and can continue his training leading into Kona.

Very interested to see how this year turns out for him. For his sake, I think he needs to do Arizona this fall to secure the qualifying slot for next year, and not have the pressure on himself to get a Kona slot.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m curious about the wild card scenarios. Let’s say he races MT and misses a spot. Would his injury allow him to get an wildcard entry? Seems this would be exactly why you have that type of pathway if it still exists. It’s not as if he’s “faking” his way into not putting the racing load on his body he simply can’t do it yet.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next