Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel’s new coach?
Quote | Reply
From the Race week video #2 just released it sure looks like Frank Jakobsen is walking into the Ironman village in Chattanooga with Lionel and Erin. Now this may only be a coincidence that they are walking together….but is Frank Lionel’s new coach?

Frank is Craig Alexander’s long time coach and currently coaches Jesper “the fish” Svenson
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Seth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to MX Podcast it's Mikal Iden, brother of Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seth wrote:
From the Race week video #2 just released it sure looks like Frank Jakobsen is walking into the Ironman village in Chattanooga with Lionel and Erin. Now this may only be a coincidence that they are walking together….but is Frank Lionel’s new coach?

Frank is Craig Alexander’s long time coach and currently coaches Jesper “the fish” Svenson

Frank is an amazing guy. He isn't the super nerdy/scientific kind of guy. But he has a very unique way of thinking and expressing himself that could probably do extremely well on the psychological/mental side of things. He does not come across as the guy that will be running spreadsheets, and a bunch of lab tests.

I have no idea if this is what Lionel needs but it will be interesting if it his him.

Not so sure how he will enjoy the current "keeping up with the Kardashians" style of video blogging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anakinpm wrote:

Not sure how Dan will address, but you may want to edit/delete this. Dan’s pretty loose with most everything, but one of his sticking points is dragging his customers/members to a site away from his that’s essentially in direct competition. Not sure how he’ll view this, but just a heads up.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it was just the written confirmation by Lionel of his new coach. I think it's relevant after so much discussion in these forums
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
Not sure how Dan will address, but you may want to edit/delete this. Dan’s pretty loose with most everything, but one of his sticking points is dragging his customers/members to a site away from his that’s essentially in direct competition. Not sure how he’ll view this, but just a heads up.

i don't mind this. i'm not wild about somebody starting a new portal and coming on this one to chum for business. earn your readership on your own. but that's not what's going on here. news is usually made elsewhere, and the folks on this community talk about it here (with a reference to the place it came from). that's fine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea if there are interviews or podcast episodes with Gustav Iden's brother? (any podcast, unrelated to Lionel) I would love to hear about his coaching philosophy.
Last edited by: piratetri: Oct 4, 21 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
Any idea if there are interviews or podcast episodes with Gustav Iden's brother? (any podcast, unrelated to Lionel) I would love to hear about his coaching philosophy.

No, unfortunately no idea. But I bet there'll be more in the future
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
piratetri wrote:

No, unfortunately no idea. But I bet there'll be more in the future

Couple youtube videos out there I think - one he did at team camp beginning of 2020 in Portugal. Nothing groundbreaking. But pretty good if not slightly amateur because - he's just a dude who threw it together haha

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does he currently coach Gustav? If so I don't see any upside to him taking on Lionel. Unless Gustav is truly that unconcerned by Lionel...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gustav's primary coach is Arild Tveiten, but Mikael (Gustav's brother) is one of the assistant coaches on the Norwegian coaching group
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philosophically that might be a good fit for Lionel, considering that the Norwegians do tons of volume, which seems to be Lionel's preference. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, and how Mikel handles when Lionel does Lionel stuff, which is where he's struggled in the past with coaches...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Philosophically that might be a good fit for Lionel, considering that the Norwegians do tons of volume, which seems to be Lionel's preference. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, and how Mikel handles when Lionel does Lionel stuff, which is where he's struggled in the past with coaches...

I somehow can't see it going well. David Tilbury Davis definitely knows what he's doing, is also scientific, experience, the whole package. Still didn't work out.. Twice. Best would be to trust 100% in a coach but since that's not gonna happen imho, next best thing is self-coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Does he currently coach Gustav? If so I don't see any upside to him taking on Lionel. Unless Gustav is truly that unconcerned by Lionel...

Gustav is a short course athlet. Lionel long course. No big conflict here. There are a lots of coaches coaching competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Trauma wrote:

I somehow can't see it going well. David Tilbury Davis definitely knows what he's doing, is also scientific, experience, the whole package. Still didn't work out.. Twice. Best would be to trust 100% in a coach but since that's not gonna happen imho, next best thing is self-coaching

I honestly believe he is following Mikal's workouts to the letter - for the first time. I don't know for a fact - but it sounded like he and DTD worked more in an advisory role - LS I think I should do X...DTD - ok, maybe make those intervals Y then - LS that sounds good, or I think I need to push more power.

It sounds like Mikal is working some areas that Lionel hasn't focused on, working more on efficiency than overall getting power higher and trying to outpower everyone. In the last video too - he talks about IOG and figuring out aero stuff to help and such - I think as I get older I realize I don't know that much (god I knew a lot more when I was in my early 20s...) and am more open to listening to others for sure.

It's going to be fascinating...and I really see the buy in with Lionel that he had with Aquabear, and hopefully that is the case.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Trauma wrote:

Lionel's problem isn't who his coach is. He's talented but is always looking for clues.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Mikal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Gustav is a short course athlet. Lionel long course. No big conflict here. There are a lots of coaches coaching competitors.

Is this from the horse's mouth?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Even so, why would there be a conflict at all? It an individual sport. As long as the Conflict of Interest, if there was one, is declared and both clients are good with it since this is not an adversarial contract negotiation. They can go forward. Otherwise all these "squads" run by ITU coaches wouldn't exist.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

User just registered today and made 2 posts. Both on Iden topics.
Could be, or could be someone being funny
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I agree, I just wanted to know if that's Mikal Iden posting
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

In that case, how do I prove i’m Mikal Iden?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
Quinny98 wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

IFF you were Mikal Iden, you could add a signature in the settings and then that will show up on every post.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
Quinny98 wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

I believe you. But you could post a selfie with slowtwich written on a post it note or something :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
Quinny98 wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Easy….By telling us a non-public story about something stupid you or your brother did as kids that we can verify with him in here :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next