Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur
Quote | Reply
I'm a little surprised that there has not been a thread on this. I realize that there aren't that many elite Jewish triathletes out there, but there are some. Even if you're not very religious (and I'm not), this is a pretty significant holiday. I am seriously ashamed that WTC thought it was okay to have Kona on this date. Could they honestly have not had it the following Sat? Thoughts?

Just for reference, it's not like I could have raced Kona. I chose to focus on 70.3s/Vegas this season. But had I chose to focus on 140.6/Kona, I can't even imagine how upset I would be. Heck, I am upset that Rev3 Anderson, SC is this weekend and I can't race it!

Finally, if you disagree with me, as I'm sure many will, that is fine. I'm not looking for WTC to show preference or recognize any specific group; I just think this oversight is unacceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [quakertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe their bikes have a Sabbath mode. Hahahahahah
I know my new stove does ;0)

Quote | Reply
put it to you this way, since you clearly believe in God and your obligation to attend services on the High Holidays, had you qualified for Kona, God would understand if you missed this year. Kona ain't the world series and you ain't Sandy Koufax. It's one day not a seven game series so missing it means more.

As for me, I'll be going to the Tot service with my older son and then heading home to watch TX/OU and Kona on the web. God'll understand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [JChapATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona is always on a Saturday. Shouldn't you be observing Sabbath anyway?

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quakertri wrote:
I'm not looking for WTC to show preference or recognize any specific group; I just think this oversight is unacceptable.

well, which one of those statements do you mean the most?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quakertri wrote:
I'm a little surprised that there has not been a thread on this. I realize that there aren't that many elite Jewish triathletes out there, but there are some. Even if you're not very religious (and I'm not), this is a pretty significant holiday. I am seriously ashamed that WTC thought it was okay to have Kona on this date. Could they honestly have not had it the following Sat? Thoughts?

Just for reference, it's not like I could have raced Kona. I chose to focus on 70.3s/Vegas this season. But had I chose to focus on 140.6/Kona, I can't even imagine how upset I would be. Heck, I am upset that Rev3 Anderson, SC is this weekend and I can't race it!

Finally, if you disagree with me, as I'm sure many will, that is fine. I'm not looking for WTC to show preference or recognize any specific group; I just think this oversight is unacceptable.

i never thought of that, interesting. im sure they dont take much into consideration except money and making things run smoothly.

i think if they were to consider every religion or belief they would have a nightmare. there are so may religions and so many circumstances regarding scheduling and planning that (or any event), i'm sure it's a nightmare.

i'm sure you have but what does a rabbi say?

TEAM GREEN
SWIM - CYCLE - RUN - VEGAN

Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no god - problem solved!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [symo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
symo wrote:
Then where do we come from ?

Quote | Reply
I'm not at all religious, but I know quite a few athletes that are (to each their own). They go to religious services either before or after the race. No biggie.

Racing is a choice. Every day will be difficult for someone for some reason. You can't please everyone. If your religion trumps your triathlon, then bummer if you're Jewish and Kona is on Yom Kippur. Life is full of tuff choices.

If they put Kona on Xmas Day, I don't think too many Christian athletes would skip it because of the day., If I was capable of getting to Kona, I'd race it on whatever damned day the hold it.

I've raced on my birthday and that's the most important day of the year for me.

Next question? :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a big problem is there is no Christian equivalent of a Jewish holiday...especially YK. The Jewish concept of a holiday and everyone else's are too far apart to expect much understanding.
Last edited by: oxidefilm: Oct 6, 11 20:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
symo wrote:

wow, i believe the same, i guess i was just trying to not be a jerk and respect peoples choices. glad someone filled my jerk shoes. the lavender room is a few clicks to the right -------->

unless i missed the sarcasm tag...then i am the @$$hole. =)

TEAM GREEN

Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Christmas in Kona? i can think of worse things...

Actually once every couple of years IMH does happen to fall on my birthday...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9/10

Pretty good, you got me. Chances somebody with the handle "quakertri" is Jewish??? ")

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [Ted Trendy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you eliminate Judaism and Islam, not many religion come into play. I'm ignorant of most India and asian religions, but they could pretty easily avoid most religous conflicts.

Whether they should, thats a tough one. I don't hold it against them for not doing it. You are right you can't please everyone. I guess if Kona always fell on Yom Kippur I could see it as an issue, although mainly because if something like Kona always fell on Yom Kippur, well you are doing that on purpose.

Anyways now that this came up I think I'll observe Yom Kippur just for the experience.

Styrrell.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [oxidefilm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easter?? Ash weds?? Christmas ???

Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
9/10

Pretty good, you got me. Chances somebody with the handle "quakertri" is Jewish??? ")

Jewish and looking for a handout during an Obama Presidency in Hawaii!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dates are set for at least 5 years in the future.

For your planning purposes.

http://ironmanworldchampionship.com/qualification/

What is the date for the Ironman World Championship in future years?

2011: 10/08/2011
*Please note that the 2011 Ford Ironman World Championship takes place during Yom Kippur.
2012: 10/13/2012
2013: 10/12/2013
2014: 10/11/2014
2015: 10/10/2015
2016: 10/8/2016

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oxidefilm wrote:
I think a big problem is there is no Christian equivalent of a Jewish holiday...especially YK. The Jewish concept of a holiday and everyone else's are too far apart to expect much understanding.

This is funny...

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell the WTC to move Kona to Ramadan. :-) Seriously, if you counted every single religion in the world its probably nearly impossible to find a date to suit everybody.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. I just gotta ask. What's with the quaker login?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually there are, its probably more correct that their aren't many Catholics as devote these days as many Jews. How do you put something sort of in pink?

Styrrell
Last edited by: styrrell: Oct 6, 11 21:00
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
If you eliminate Judaism and Islam, not many religion come into play. I'm ignorant of most India and asian religions, but they could pretty easily avoid most religous conflicts.

Whether they should, thats a tough one. I don't hold it against them for not doing it. You are right you can't please everyone. I guess if Kona always fell on Yom Kippur I could see it as an issue, although mainly because if something like Kona always fell on Yom Kippur, well you are doing that on purpose.

Anyways now that this came up I think I'll observe Yom Kippur just for the experience.

Styrrell.

i agree with this statement (regarding islam and judaism)

i didn't want to mention islam because people get nuts. as for yom kippur, that sounds like a plan/ party in the making, i like.

TEAM GREEN

Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [TheGermanTrojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Rotorua 1/2 IM has fallen on my Birthday. Awesome pre-Xmas treat.

Kona at Xmas? Yeah, I'm keen!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on Yom Kippur [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are absolutely nothing like the anything we celebrate/observe. Sorry B, but it's a whole different ballgame.
Quote Reply

Prev Next