Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crowley was one of the women to receive a five-minute penalty. For sure yet why.

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
teaandstuff wrote:
A parochial post ... Sarah Crowley was outside the top 10 until just before halfway on the run, worked her way up to seventh, passing Ryf in the last kilometre or so.

Her pre-race comment ...

"I'm a bit of a bulldog when I race. I'm greedy. I will be there."

And so she was.

Any word from Ryf? She never looked comfortable on the run. Assuming just not her day.

There were rumours in EU she has had a niggle for quite a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [transgress4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
transgress4 wrote:
I thought she was purple patch with matt dixon. Did she change?
She's been working with Dan Plews for a little while now.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
help me understand the splits - only two girls ran sub-3, and the swim was slow, but overall the times look OK. quick bikes?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just listening to his latest episode in the How They Train podcast. He mentioned about Sodaro doing a camp in Kona to prepare for the heat. Immediately put her in the top 5 of my fantasy picks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haug back to PTO #1. Sodaro into about #6 and Charles into #3 above Gentle. Philipp stays #5 (v close to Sodaro). Norden and Langridge close on #11 and #12. [All my estimates, obv.]
If Charles can go well (enough) at St George, she will go into #2 but Haug out of reach to year end. Knibb will drop away next week (only 2 races in 2022) but that will be temporary: a decent race at St George (eg as last September at St George) will see her climb back into top 6.

Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Oct 7, 22 3:01
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [teaandstuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoke to Sarah a little earlier. Quote: "penalties were being handed out like candy" to the pro women. Hers was for drafting.
"It (the penalty) was a little bit subjective. I guess they always are" was her comment.

teaandstuff wrote:
Crowley was one of the women to receive a five-minute penalty. For sure yet why.

Last edited by: teaandstuff: Oct 7, 22 1:22
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was there a post race press conference??

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. 6pm HST, top five, as per usual.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [teaandstuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a link somewhere to watch?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Cmonnnn surely the term maurten move x 1 million on a single pass is just a touch grating.

This is it for me. Most people are fine with sponsorship, but this is just weird, renaming a pass as a move - and sponsoring it.

It is also an odd choice for a sponsor because feasibly someone who is sponsored by another nutrition brand could be passing a Maurten sponsored athlete, the optics of that being a "Maurten Move" are not stellar.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Parkland wrote:
teaandstuff wrote:
A parochial post ... Sarah Crowley was outside the top 10 until just before halfway on the run, worked her way up to seventh, passing Ryf in the last kilometre or so.

Her pre-race comment ...

And so she was.

Any word from Ryf? She never looked comfortable on the run. Assuming just not her day.

There were rumours in EU she has had a niggle for quite a while.

The thin line between being (what one thinks is race) fit and f*cked, alas. She didn't look comfortable throughout, even when she was hunting them down on the bike is was as if it was for show, and not for dough.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Maurten Move" fell into the so bad it's hilarious category for me
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They didn't put one in the media advisory last night.

I actually liked how they did Sodaro's interview post-podium, as it made it a bit easier to transcribe.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...orld_Title_8511.html is the final story. That took...a while.

I *think* I got 'em all on penalties - Norden, Philipp, Crowley, Clarke off the top of my head.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the press conference on the Ironman now Facebook page.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
Does anyone think the announcers are forbidden from mentioning the PTO? They talk a lot about athletesā€™ performances at IM-branded races but nothing about the PTO. Sodoro ran her way to the podium in Edmonton, if Iā€™m not mistaken. It seems like it would be a relevant fact to mention. She also had a disappointing Collins Cup, which makes todayā€™s result even more remarkable. I donā€™t think itā€™s a coincidence that I havenā€™t heard mention of any non-IM race.

PTO has barely started to be a good actor and has YEARS of dogging Ironman all over social media. The Collins Cup Twitter account was just an angry old man yelling at clouds until Michael Moritz chose to fund the PTO. Then they made all the threats about Ironman selling and how they should be the ones to buy etc.

Now that is changing some. But let's not act like they're innocent.

monty wrote:
No kidding, all this complaining is nauseating. I'm watching the race, and I see plenty of Sodaro leading the run. And im sure if the camera was on her all the time, the whiners would be saying lets see who the chasers are!!!

I would like to see Anne and a couple behind her a bit more, the tracker is so far behind that it is useless as to what is going on in the actual race..

Was able to choose the camera I wanted to watch on Ironman Now or watch 4/5 different feeds.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 7, 22 3:48
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:
I didnā€™t know who Chelsea was but after watching that interview Iā€™m a huge fan.
As a dad of young kids it just hit me when she talked.
Kristen, Iden and Lionel etc have no idea.

What this woman just did inspired me.

She did Augusta 70.3 back in 2019. I was on my way to transition to check in my bike and she was with her coach walking up and down the river checking out the swim course. She won that year along with LS. Thatā€™s how I found out about her. After that, she disappeared from the scene to have a baby. Sheā€™s back stronger than ever now.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello everybody. I did not expect Sodaro to win this at all. I thought she was going to implode at some point...but congrats to her. I feel sorry for LCB because she is her 4th time getting 2nd... I wonder like some people wether she will give ITU a go or will try to crush it next year. I think sheĀ“s got it in her but she paid her lack of mileage...
It was a very amusing broadcast but I think IM has to work a little bit with the data and the motorbikes...we could not see Laura P and Sara Crowley almost for the entire bike after the penalties (why dont they move the motorbikes more often?). We could see just some flashes from Norden who had the best bike if we deduce the 5m stop. Also, I think some of the comentators have no clue about the competitors how can you mix Svensk with McCauley? Did they know Sodaro was in the US team in ITU till 2018? they do not give any information about them, what are they strong points, her previous results, if they are carrying a niggle or injury...nothing. Just, "she looks good" "I think she is saving"....I do not want "I think ish" I want real data!!!!! I ask for this but I paid nothing to watch it, but sometimes I think I know more or have more interest than the commentators.
Also, what I still do not get is why the referees gave Phillip, Crowley and Norden those penalties...do they warn the athlete before they show the blue card? I saw Fenella drafting, even Anne Haug...and I dont care if that was at aid stations. Phillip was devastated. I ignore if her drafting was very clear but I do not think she is stupid to do that...so, why not developing some tool to measure those 12m? Or make 20m like challenge... Also, you are 15m afar in the flat, but when you go uphill, 15m translates into 7. I know the rule cannot be perfect but gosh, make something for the fairness of the sport. Norden was pulling and she got a penalty? I do not get it...
The race was exciting. SodaroĀ“s running turnover is amazing, she did not look tired at all. LCB deserves to win here, and I think Laura P could have been a factor if the penalty would not have happened.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Oct 7, 22 4:35
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Exciting Vinfast Ironman World Championship so far. Lucy of course with a lead out of the Roka Swim Course, and Ryf catching her quite late on the Ventum Bike Course with a Maurten Move. Now Sodaro making a Maurten Move as we can see from the Qatar Airways Overhead Shot. Staying SFuels Hydrated will be important because they look Carrier Air-conditioning Hot out there. If Haug takes in enough Ice Mountain Water and Alaska Air Ice, she should have the Visit Windsor Win in the bag.

Before TV, this is how sponsorship activation and fulfillment was done in baseball radio broadcasts. Except the best radio guys made it seemless.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
Has LCB said if sheā€™ll try and make the Olympics in 2024 yet? After getting another 2nd, she may decide to stick with Ironman and try to finally get a win!

Lucy is the Buffalo Bills of Ironman. Four straight trips to Kona. Four straight second place finishes.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the pro racers are "warned" in pre-race meetings. No warnings are given during the race as should be. These are professional athletes, they should know the rules, and they should expect to be penalized. And sure the referees can't catch everyone. I think this was the best coverage to date of the big race. I have been watching them since they started doing the live coverage and it has improved greatly. Yesterday's race was excellent and I think by having only the pro females racing it enabled them to provide a higher level of coverage rather than trying to cover both the male and female pros.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
42point2 wrote:
Has LCB said if sheā€™ll try and make the Olympics in 2024 yet? After getting another 2nd, she may decide to stick with Ironman and try to finally get a win!

Lucy is the Buffalo Bills of Ironman. Four straight trips to Kona. Four straight second place finishes.

Sheā€™s one of the most consistent athletes while others have too ups and downs. I wanted her to place 2nd in PTO Dallas as well but she slipped to 3rd.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t understand why she would consider going back to itu because sheā€™s ā€œdisappointedā€ in being runner up yet again? This is her strength, and appeal. Hell she may never win ever but she may not even be top 5 Brit in itu so it would make no sense to leave this. Hell even if she never wins, this is her jam.

So donā€™t feel sorry for her, I actually thought holding on for 2nd was incredible result this year for her with her niggles this year and lack of racing.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
teaandstuff wrote:

Her pre-race comment ...

And so she was.

She posted this on social media.
"This pretty much sums up my day

I tried everything to have a chance for the win and pushed hard on the bike, but there was not much left when i started the run.
I am disappointed to not show more of what i prepared, but i am also proud and inspired to be racing along such powerful strong women
A [/url]huge congrats to @chelseasodaro for the win and her superbe race
Thank you all for the positiv support on the course and your nice messages "
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women's Race-Day Thread [sonadortris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCB would be mad to switch to ITU. The swim isnt long enough for her to do any real damage time wise and there are quite a few others who could keep up with her or beat her out the water and then if the course is even remotely technical (which most if not all are) she's just going to get spat out the back on the bike and then she's got to run down the likes of GTB, Coldwell, Potter and that's just the brits šŸ˜®
Quote Reply

Prev Next