Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
1. Where do you get this screenshot on TP? I am even struggling to locate my NP, it provides average everywhere and only in the analysis tab it gives IF (which I can use to manually calculate NP). And I have been using TP for a year!

2. 97 cadence? No way. I averaged 79, I am sure he had higher RPM as he obviously went faster, but not 97

Thanks

1. That's Today's Plan. It's an impressive platform that I helped bring from cycling to multisport. Team Sky/Ineos uses it, as well as Trek Segafredo, Matt Dixon and Purple Patch, and a number of other triathlon and cycling coaches. You will see them in Kona.

2. Yes, 97. Here's a breakdown of his watts, the Standard Deviation of watts per section of the course, and the avg cadence in each section.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Ben take any supplements? (basically does he consume anything outside of normal foods, sports nutrition such as gels, and caffeine)

Was is just a matter of consistent running and an extra year of training that took him from 1:16-1:12 or did the training change?

If the training changed some to shave those 4 minutes, what did you guys implement that was different then the lead up to 2016 (his 1:16)

Huge fan of you and Ben and always enjoy reading your articles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
TP = Today's plan...it's the same platform I use. It drives me crazy trying to identify the same basic metrics that trainingpeaks provide, one of which being normalized power or VI. Almost nowhere to be seen, some of this stuff is proprietary. I was just wondering how Jim created the custom screenshot

In the deeper analysis tab, there's a "Share" button in pink in the top right corner. This blog post shares how to do it, and customize the metrics to share:
https://www.todaysplan.com.au/...es-activity-sharing/

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [Rynovwg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rynovwg wrote:
Same tactic as 2017 70.3 Worlds with a less favorable outcome...

1. How do his numbers (particularly HR and power on the bike) compare to Chattanooga?

2. Ben has incredibly high cadence on the bike, likely higher than his run. Do you consider it to be optimal for the 70.3 distance bearing in mind the similarity in his bike and run cadence? (effectively 3.5 hours at a similar cadence range).

1. Chattanooga and South Africa were both higher avg and adjusted/normalized watts. But that really isn't very indicative of the race for a few reasons...
- The big climb and the long descent made for very different race demands, and the goal on the descent was to pedal as little as possible.
- Standard deviation of the watts in Nice was 125w, South Africa was 95w, and Chattanooga was 82w. So 50% change in standard deviation of output from Chattanooga, and about 30% from SA.
- This race was a 2:20 bike split for Ben, South Africa right close to 2 hours, so about 15% longer of a race, so you won't hold as high for that much longer. Chattanooga was about 2:20, but it was also nice and steady after the early, shorter climb, since he was solo off the front.

2. Yes, I think Ben's cadence is excellent. Have you read my book, Triathlon 2.0? I have a big section on bike cadence and run performance in it, with some evidence from Kona. I am a big believer in high bike cadence.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim, very grateful for this. What an amazing aerobic engine he has, 97 is beyond comprehension. I bet you Daniela Ryf was not above 85.

Yes I know today's plan well - this is what my coach uses. Great analytics, unfortunately the interface makes me struggle with retrieving even very simply stuff such as NP and VI.

Thank you again
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
Are you at all concerned that the stated goals last year of getting on the podium at 70.3 worlds and making the tokyo olympics mixed team relay could leave him missing both since they are such different events?

Also, what were the deciding factors in Kanute switching from his old to coach to you shortly before 70.3 worlds 2 years ago? I may be mistaken but I think he was with the other coach for pretty much his whole life.

Well, the stated goal isn't just "making the Tokyo Olympics mixed team relay," it is winning an Olympic medal in the MR in Tokyo. And I would say Ben wants to win 70.3 Worlds as well, not just the podium. There is a balance between the two pursuits, yes. Did that balance effect the result in the end? I'm sure it does somewhat, but the focus on the short work has also probably helped him in the long run. He's only 26, so there's still a lot of racing years left for him.

I think if you look at Rudy, he focused on this race for 2 years, and it showed. He was ready and performed very well on the day. So he showed what a good focus on a particular event can do. For Ben, since 2016 we have made focusing on the MR as the top priority, and supplementing with 70.3.

As for the coaching change, I started working with Ben in October of 2016, so long before the 2017 Worlds. He had been with Adam Zucco for years, and they were collaborating with Ryan Bolton. Bolton took over the reigns about 8 months prior to Rio, and thru Rio. The deciding factor to switch is something he would have to share, as we didn't really discuss it much. But I think the results show his decision has paid off.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
peace242000 wrote:
Are you at all concerned that the stated goals last year of getting on the podium at 70.3 worlds and making the tokyo olympics mixed team relay could leave him missing both since they are such different events?

My thought/question as well. I really like Ben, and appreciate him and his coach coming on here. I'd love to here as much about their planning/ strategy as they are willing to share.

I'm happy to elaborate on it. What do you want to know?

The plan is to write a book about it, if it all works.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
97 is beyond comprehension.//

You seem to be amazed at this number, are you not aware that most of the male pros are in the 90's now? You know what is beyond comprehension, the 120 or so that Cancellera rode when he won the world TT championship, now that was crazy turnover..

And yes, you can cherry pick some folks that still ride low 80's and do very well too, but the norm over the past 4 decades that I have been riding, is to ride higher cadence to get more power, not to push bigger gears at the same RPM...And I believe that if you average all the hour records set over a long period of time, that cadence is about 105 or so too.
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Climb11 wrote:
Does Ben take any supplements? (basically does he consume anything outside of normal foods, sports nutrition such as gels, and caffeine)

No. He's very much about clean sport. He knows there's too much risk in taking anything as unregulated as supplements.

Climb11 wrote:
Was is just a matter of consistent running and an extra year of training that took him from 1:16-1:12 or did the training change? If the training changed some to shave those 4 minutes, what did you guys implement that was different then the lead up to 2016 (his 1:16)

The consistency of running has definitely helped. In our 3 years together we have had one injury, which was a freak injury at Super League Mallorca at the end of last year. So yes, consistency of running has definitely helped. He has also gotten leaner, and we've worked a lot on the neuromuscular side of things, teaching his body to run more efficiently and economically. We've taught him how to jump, (he was an Olympian who didn't really know how to jump if you can believe that). Then we've also addressed the mental aspect of performance. Bobby McGee has been key in helping me design the run programming, and then my job has been to determine where and when to insert those programs.

Climb11 wrote:
Huge fan of you and Ben and always enjoy reading your articles.

Thank you.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. He's very much about clean sport. He knows there's too much risk in taking anything as unregulated as supplements. //

So no salt pills, or magnesium, or coffee??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
Thanks Jim, very grateful for this. What an amazing aerobic engine he has, 97 is beyond comprehension. I bet you Daniela Ryf was not above 85.

Yes I know today's plan well - this is what my coach uses. Great analytics, unfortunately the interface makes me struggle with retrieving even very simply stuff such as NP and VI.

Thank you again

Not sure if you're aware, but you can customize Today's Plan to see what you want to see very quickly and easily. Here I have Adjusted Power, (same as NP basically), and Power Variability, (same as VI basically), and Intensity, (same as IF basically). You can see I also have % of time of above threshold, No power duration, his threshold power, and the peaks that I want to see very quickly, among others. Just click on the gear button and set what you want to see.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
Ben tried to be prepared for the descent, but once he was alone, he was at a big disadvantage. And with the center line rule coming into play, he of course wasn't able to descend as fast as maybe some could or did. (Center line rule is a whole different conversation, and given that Ben's run wasn't up to snuff, it didn't really matter much to him).

It's interesting that Ben is generally lauded as being one of the better cyclists in American triathlon but was significantly gapped on the descent. How will that technical deficiency affect Ben's training moving forward?

In this video RVB didn't obviously break centerline except when passing AB, so I'm curious if you have other video evidence of centerline violations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
peace242000 wrote:

My thought/question as well. I really like Ben, and appreciate him and his coach coming on here. I'd love to here as much about their planning/ strategy as they are willing to share.
This! Thank you both!! Cheers to the future, I feel it will be bright and i'm rooting for Ben!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In what way have you addressed the mental aspect? What did he need to improve in his mental approach?

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there any discussion before the race to use his Madone disc and clip on bars?
Seeing the data on his descent (compared with Iden), Do you think the Madone would have been the better choice?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am quite certain he is not going to answer that. But doesn’t the video shows a violation? Passing does not provide an exception?
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I really like Kanute but I can't watch TT videos. He is too annoying.

then don't watch....???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say the video I linked was an exception. I'm curious if there was a lot of complaining about centerline violations among the male pro field, like there was drafting violations last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh got it. Misunderstood your intent. Still don’t think he’ll go there, though
Quote Reply
Re: Kanute's 70.3 WC Nice & More - Ask Me Anything [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
or coffee??

Follow Kanute's IG account. Even I can answer that one. :)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman, even at the pro level, is an amateur sport with the way they decide on and enforce rules.

One of the faster pro's at the race told me they all basically agreed to just ignore the rule when they felt they needed too. So yeah, same as drafting haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the longest run that Ben had leading into the WC?

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
vanchize wrote:
Still doing run-walk sessions?

Absolutely. When you take risk in training that can potentially overload the athlete with fatigue, you have to find ways to reduce the training risk in other ways. Run-walk has allowed us to do that. All of his easy and maintenance runs are run-walk.

When I made the decision to have my athletes start doing run-walk, 90+% of the injuries went away.

How do you structure the run-walk sessions for your athletes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
JimVance wrote:
Ben tried to be prepared for the descent, but once he was alone, he was at a big disadvantage. And with the center line rule coming into play, he of course wasn't able to descend as fast as maybe some could or did. (Center line rule is a whole different conversation, and given that Ben's run wasn't up to snuff, it didn't really matter much to him).

It's interesting that Ben is generally lauded as being one of the better cyclists in American triathlon but was significantly gapped on the descent. How will that technical deficiency affect Ben's training moving forward?

In this video RVB didn't obviously break centerline except when passing AB, so I'm curious if you have other video evidence of centerline violations.

The technicality of the course and the handling was a weakness we addressed. Ben realizes and takes responsibility that he wasn't skilled or comfortable enough with the course for the descent, and we will address it further. He was not willing to break the center line rule to make up for it. Being solo on the descent didn't help him to judge corners, etc.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
JimVance wrote:

The technicality of the course and the handling was a weakness we addressed. Ben realizes and takes responsibility that he wasn't skilled or comfortable enough with the course for the descent, and we will address it further. He was not willing to break the center line rule to make up for it. Being solo on the descent didn't help him to judge corners, etc.

So the descent was decisive. Were you guys threshold based in training for the climb or AWC based for the all-out sprints out of each hairpin after a long climbing effort? I haven't seen the course, and also assume that physiologically the descent was similar to a spirited ITU course with a lot of u-turns.

IOW, which did you weight more heavily, the climb or the descent?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next