Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading this -
"So Semenya has a genetic advantage, by virtue of A) having a Y-chromosome and testes, and B) being unable to use that T and/or one of its derivatives enough to have developed fully male.
In that regard, if you approached it from the other direction, you could, relatively accurately, say that Semenya has a disadvantage compared to other males with XY and testosterone, because unlike them she cannot fully use T (and/or a derivative – depends on the exact condition)."
http://sportsscientists.com/...ster-semenya-debate/

I'm inclined to suggest that the "fairest" option is to allow her to compete in the Paralympics as a male.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:
I thought you just looked between their legs.

If you look between Caster Semenya's legs, you're probably going to find girl parts. I think this is an issue of defining exactly what is women's sport. What is the definition of being a woman? How will this be definition be tested? If someone tests partially female and partially male, what then?

we do not know the answer to what parts this person has or does not have.

But, as I posted, stepping to a higher level, this stuff about "levels" is just a joke. Really male/female/Age Groups/weight divisions, what are we trying to do?
We have one "person" who is the fastest in the 100 meters. Now, why do we have to break it down? Why have we not broken it down more by age, weight,
etc?

This now never ends, and I have no idea what is "right", which is why I just go exercise and have fun with sports.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGNole97 wrote:
But you also have women who have internal testes and produce an elevated level of testosterone as compared to "normal" women, but for some reason their bodies can't use ANY of it. So they get to compete as women even though they have testes? (And then you have Lance Armstrong who only has one...but I digress).

So you end up with this crazy-ass flowchart to determine who is a man and who is a woman when it comes to sport and competition. What it boils down to is that sport is a human-created concept to determine who was the fastest, etc. Then we decided that women should be able to play, too, but only compete amongst themselves. Swell. Again, completely human created concept. But then Mother Nature is like, "What the hell, nobody bothered to ask me. Ima throw a wrench all up in your reindeer games. Whatcha gonna do now?"

Yep

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"She's a hermaphrodite."

i'm not sure, but i think we say intersex now. i think hermaphrodite and retarded are in the same word bucket.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"She's a hermaphrodite."

i'm not sure, but i think we say intersex now. i think hermaphrodite and retarded are in the same word bucket.

Apparently the British press didn't get the memo. :) (Telegraph, and *cough* Daily Mail). You're probably right, I had been reading those articles, and something in the back of my mind told me the term was archaic, but I carried on. I'm happy to be corrected.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"She's a hermaphrodite."

Not picking on you Slowman, but I've always found it odd that the most clinical of phrases with inoffensive roots become offensive merely by becoming the official label for an unpopular trait, like the two you've mentioned.

From http://www.etymologyonline.com:

hermaphrodite (n.) late 14c. (harmofroditus), from Latin hermaphroditus, from Greek hermaphroditos "person partaking of the attributes of both sexes, as a proper name, the son of Hermes and Aphrodite, who, in Ovid, was loved by the nymph Salmacis so ardently that she prayed for complete union with him and as a result they were united bodily, combining male and female characteristics.

retarded (adj.) 1810, "delayed," past participle adjective from retard (v.). In childhood development sense, "mentally slow," attested from 1895 (perhaps inspired by Italian tardivi).

The word "retard" quite literally means someone who is delayed, like how one delays or "retards" their timing in an engine, or how one can by "tardy" to class... but people learn to find any label offensive to an unpopular classification. The only thing to take offense to is demeaning prejudice. It seems to me like people feel these words become stained the way a perfectly good shirt becomes stained, and then choose to discard the word from the public vernacular without considering that it's the people's ill will that needs discarding and the word is only a proxy which has little effect to that end.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Telegraph, and *cough* Daily Mail"

you're right. i knew i should've checked first to see what standards the british tabloids had set for manners and civility ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the most clinical of phrases with inoffensive roots become offensive merely by becoming the official label for an unpopular trait, like the two you've mentioned."

while not disagreeing with you, i fall back on what a class of people themselves wish to be called, and use that as my standard. i often fall afoul of this and can write you chapter and verse. but when corrected i find it simply easier to stipulate to a targeted group's own preferred label.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 daughters, and 2 granddaughters. So//

So you are cool with your daughters and granddaughters never being able to compete in professional sports? Very big of you Dave to commit their possible futures to the also ran pile to suit your world views. Hope they feel the same way when they are able understand what you feel they ought and ought not be able to do with their lives. Billy Jean King would be turning over in her grave, if she were dead of course..
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I have 2 daughters, and 2 granddaughters. So//

So you are cool with your daughters and granddaughters never being able to compete in professional sports? Very big of you Dave to commit their possible futures to the also ran pile to suit your world views. Hope they feel the same way when they are able understand what you feel they ought and ought not be able to do with their lives. Billy Jean King would be turning over in her grave, if she were dead of course..

Wow, putting words into my mouth? I just have questions. I have always told my daughters, and now granddaugthers they can be anything they want. My two daughters
are the bread winners in their families. So, no idea what you are talking about.

Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, putting words into my mouth?

So you didn't say if women really want to be equal, then they should just all pitch up with the men?
Last edited by: monty: Aug 22, 16 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Wow, putting words into my mouth?

So you didn't say if women really want to be equal, then they should just all pitch up with the men?

If everyone wants to be "equal", and we are now told that what ever mentally you feel you are or what your are, etc.
and places no longer allow the use of the words male, female, since those are sexist, there is nothing
to pitch up against anymore, since the old rules are not the current rules, what ever those are.
And this is in ALL aspects of life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok Dave, I have no idea what you just said. I just asked, did you say women should just compete with men if they want to be equal, pretty simple question, but apparently needs a very complicated answer..
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
tridork wrote:
trail wrote:
tridork wrote:
Really?

The discussion is about women that are living between a traditionally accepted woman's place on the continuum, closer to a man's place on the continuum.

No, the thread is about testosterone levels being measured in womens' sports and how it is going to change sport in the future. In 2011, IAAF determined that the most flagrant example, Caster Semenya, did have significantly higher endogenous testosterone than the established normal female population and had to undergo exogenous hormone replacement (reverse doping, for lack of a better word). Dutee Chand, an Olympic 100 meter hopeful, was able to have this ruling thrown out by the CAS until July of 2017 because men weren't subjected to the same natural testosterone level testing.

I have seen what appears to be at least three examples of what might be naturally high testosterone levels in high-performing Olympic women. My question is what do you think the future brings for hormone testing, given that CAS threw out the previous ruling that did not involve men?

I am not an expert in this domain by any means, but just thinking about it from a philosophy angle and coming back to what Monty said (no one has to compete against the alien division or something like that). I think it would be fair to put an upper limit on T levels for the womens' division. If someone is a physiological outlier such as Castor and tends more in the level of males, then a few women who are physiological outliers gets banned from racing in that net. For the "open division", we should allow all humans including the extreme physiological outliers with high T levels. Now would the WADA blood passport be possibly used to ensure that someone who is "high" is naturally high and not "topping up" to alien levels? I would hope that could be done. But in the Open/male division, all physiological outliers who are naturally that way from birth, should be allowed to race. In essence, Olympic sport is about the 1 in a billion humans gifted to do something better than others....you have to look no further than the men's high jump finals to understand that you need to be gifted certain traits to even be at the table. Olympics are about "gifted humans". But I think we do need a definition of what's the upper limit of what can qualify in the women's division before that human gets asked to compete in "open/male/alien".

Does this mean men with VERY low t levels could compete in the women's division?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello SallyShortyPants and All,

Perhaps in the not so distant future ..... humans will have their DNA 'adjusted' prior to conception to provide a body with the characteristics that provide an advantage in sports .... for instance more testosterone than the year 2000 humans .... male and female .....

Something along this line currently in evidence by giving HGH to children to make them taller .... but more sophisticated interventions might produce 'super humans' with double hearts and other adaptations for sports competitions.

Maybe a genealogical passport starting prior to conception will be required ...

For now we will probably stumble along as at present ...... adjusting and revising rules to provide a semblance of fairness in athletic competition to maintain exciting races that are interesting to participate in or watch.

Also in the not so distant future .... humans will likely be living much, much longer with extended youthful physical attributes.

A handicap system for various sports based on previous performance could level the field for these changes ..... and produce competitions that are compelling to participate in or observe ..... and help sell tickets.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
W...T...F....???
Seriously...dude..wtf are you trying to say here? Did you have a thought that somehow eluded capture? Or, did you miss school on the day that coherent and logical writing was introduced?

Admittedly, your use of "split" did bring a smile to my ....lips. :)

h2ofun wrote:
trail wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Help me out, guess I am real dumb. How is a person with testicles a woman? What is on their birth certificate? I have never heard they do a DNA test at birth to determine sex, I thought you just looked between their legs.

She's a hermaphrodite. Though the testing she's undergone remains private (for good reason), reading between the lines I'd speculate that her visually predominant sex organ is a vagina. E.g. either she has no penis, or the vagina dominates and the penis is vestigial. So you might be on point - they might have just looked between the legs -- maybe took a long awkward pause -- then said, "She's a woman."

So they called her a woman and she was raised as one. For fairly good reason.

But she has "hidden" testicles that presumably produce testosterone. A big deal in performance.

Hence my suggestion that you don't need to care about "identity" or "visual characteristics." Just go by testicles. It's a binary difference. There is no "spectrum" where you have to defined some arbitrary line.

That might not cover everything. But, to me, it's a reasonable solution to Semenya. I feel bad for her. It's not her fault - or really anyone's fault. But it seems like the right thing to do, to me.

Interesting, sounds like we do not even have all the "facts" to ask some of these questions.

If I step back and think of this, compared to things like Age Groups, weight classes, etc., we really are just playing games. Each person has advantages at birth to do certain things better than others. I am 6'5. Not tall enough to have considered college basketball, but plenty tall to do well in high school. Now, why did I have to play on the "male" team and not be allowed to plan on the "female" team?

I have 2 daughters, and 2 granddaughters. So,

I always smile when I hear females yell but we are not being treated equally. Pay, etc. But, then on the other side they say but in athletics, we cannot have just sport, we have
to break it up into male/female or it is not fair. And now we have this issue going on about what make a person female. Is it parts? Or T level? Or just how one feels in their head?
Wow, all of this makes my mind spin.

I guess I am just surprised more "women" are not trying to defend the split they got away from men by looking between the legs. Now with federal rulings that you can be whatever you want in your head and use any restroom, locker room, etc., how can there be anything relating to anything anymore as to whether one is "male" or "female"? Maybe it is time to step back and ask why are there even different groupings? Just seems like you cannot have things all ways, but we all know how little logic is used in discussions vs emotions.

Interesting times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok Dave, I have no idea what you just said. I just asked, did you say women should just compete with men if they want to be equal, pretty simple question, but apparently needs a very complicated answer..

Since that is not what I said, I gave you my thoughts, which yep, is not easy to understand, since this issue has NO easy answer

Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I was being a bit flippant. I don't doubt that in the cases we are discussing we have no clear definitions. While you might argue I was reading out of context, I found it amusing that a rocket science endocrinologist might say "that there is no means of clearly identifying one sex from the other." If you had said, "in .00001% of the population there is no means of clearly determining sex" I wouldn't have quibbled.

So I didn't propose any argument re: Semanya, I'm just saying in the great majority of cases, we can clearly determine sex.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that, the problem is that many athletes are at the ends of the bell curve in a variety of ways, height, weight, wingspan, torso length, musculature and hormones. setting limits on those as being normal / abnormal is not straightforwards, or rather it is for finding a partner, it may be less so in really specific cases
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

'Tis a slippery slope, indeed.

Basically, h2ofun is saying, "So...do you want to be equal or not? Because equal means, well, equal."

If you're arguing in support of being allowed to fight in combat situations (because women can do anything men can do, and sometimes better) but then argue for different qualifying standards for physical tests, what the heck is the point? Arguing for equality, but then insisting revised (read "unequal') qualifications or only competing against other women kind of kills your argument, does it not?

Now, not saying that there aren't some sports where women couldn't compete with men...ping pong, archery, rifle/shooting...and not saying that SOME women can't compete with the 90th percentile of men...for example, the Ninja Warrior stuff, triathlon/Ironman, etc...by and large men are going to come out on top in tests of physical prowess. That doesn't mean women are any less awesome than men any more than it means that the men who can't compete with the elite females are lesser human beings.

Everyone is different, men and women are different. Arguing for equal rights and access and pay and all is great. I agree. But trying to make an argument for actually being physically equal...well either they are (should compete against men) or they aren't (should compete against women).
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time to revisit the issue of testosterone for men and women in athletics? [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now, not saying that there aren't some sports where women couldn't compete with men...ping pong, archery, rifle/shooting...and not saying that SOME women can't compete with the 90th percentile of men...for example, the Ninja Warrior stuff, triathlon/Ironman, etc...by and large men are going to come out on top in tests of physical prowess. That doesn't mean women are any less awesome than men any more than it means that the men who can't compete with the elite females are lesser human beings. //

Sure some women are fit to do combat, but keep in mind that is not what I'm talking about, the 90%tile. I'm talking about the top of the spear, the 99.99%. So since we"know" women cannot compete with men at that level in sport, it made/makes sense for them to have their own division. Just like we have a division for kids, bigger kids, and young teenagers. Mixing in an argument that some women can be firefighters or soldiers and pass the tests, well that is not even close to what this argument is. Dave seems to want it to be, in his equal in everything argument, but they are separate issues.

I was just trying to make him see that, but of course I broke a long held promise to myself to stop trying to do that. I though that throwing in the future prospects of his daughters and granddaughters might shake his brain shake loose and a rational thought might just fall in, my mistake.. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGNole97 wrote:

'Tis a slippery slope, indeed.

Basically, h2ofun is saying, "So...do you want to be equal or not? Because equal means, well, equal."

If you're arguing in support of being allowed to fight in combat situations (because women can do anything men can do, and sometimes better) but then argue for different qualifying standards for physical tests, what the heck is the point? Arguing for equality, but then insisting revised (read "unequal') qualifications or only competing against other women kind of kills your argument, does it not?

Now, not saying that there aren't some sports where women couldn't compete with men...ping pong, archery, rifle/shooting...and not saying that SOME women can't compete with the 90th percentile of men...for example, the Ninja Warrior stuff, triathlon/Ironman, etc...by and large men are going to come out on top in tests of physical prowess. That doesn't mean women are any less awesome than men any more than it means that the men who can't compete with the elite females are lesser human beings.

Everyone is different, men and women are different. Arguing for equal rights and access and pay and all is great. I agree. But trying to make an argument for actually being physically equal...well either they are (should compete against men) or they aren't (should compete against women).

Yep, totally agree.

Was thinking about this more today. If some are saying that being born with High T for a female is "bad", what is good? But lets take another example.
We have some guys born with the ability to have very high Vo2 max compared to use mortals. Why are they allowed to compete? It gives them an unfair
advantage compared to the rest of us.

Yep, either equal is equal, or it is not. Picking and choosing, just like which rules in our sport are good or bad, is a no win. I totally see why various
groups have thrown their hands up saying we cannot pick a standard. Once we broke people into 2 groups based on a small set of parameters some though was okay,
we are screwed, when 100% of humans do not fit nicely into these two boxes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Now, not saying that there aren't some sports where women couldn't compete with men...ping pong, archery, rifle/shooting...and not saying that SOME women can't compete with the 90th percentile of men...for example, the Ninja Warrior stuff, triathlon/Ironman, etc...by and large men are going to come out on top in tests of physical prowess. That doesn't mean women are any less awesome than men any more than it means that the men who can't compete with the elite females are lesser human beings. //

Sure some women are fit to do combat, but keep in mind that is not what I'm talking about, the 90%tile. I'm talking about the top of the spear, the 99.99%. So since we"know" women cannot compete with men at that level in sport, it made/makes sense for them to have their own division. Just like we have a division for kids, bigger kids, and young teenagers. Mixing in an argument that some women can be firefighters or soldiers and pass the tests, well that is not even close to what this argument is. Dave seems to want it to be, in his equal in everything argument, but they are separate issues.

I was just trying to make him see that, but of course I broke a long held promise to myself to stop trying to do that. I though that throwing in the future prospects of his daughters and granddaughters might shake his brain shake loose and a rational thought might just fall in, my mistake.. (-;

So, only what you believe has to be the answer? Wow. If I acted that way I sure would not have been married for as long as I have been. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, only what you believe has to be the answer?//

SO you don't believe women should have their own divisions in sports and should race against the men, gotch ya. Because that is what I believe, they should have their own divisions, and think have articulated it quite clear..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that high t is good or bad, it's that it's an advantage. Unlike VO2, it's an advantage based upon a genetic difference(having male organs) and it is correctable(you can lower T, I'm not sure there is an anti VO2 max pill). I think the other thing is that as much as VO2 maxes vary, so do efficiencies and muscle makeup. Some people with high VO2, like Bjorn Daehle are great, but others with lower VO2 maxes like Frank Shorter are still able to compete at the front. It seems likely that high T in women's sports is more of a predeterminer of a competition than VO2 max.
Quote Reply

Prev Next