Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts
Quote | Reply

I thought this was an interesting video especially the mount variations. I was surprised with the number of pros stopping and mounting. I was expecting more to do a flying mount. The dismounts had more similarity.

I’ve never even hopped on the bike with my shoes already clipped in. For my skill level, It’s not critical. I don’t even know how much time I’d save leaving and entering transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the average triathlete there is no point in doing a flying mount in a non drafting race, if anything you will probably screw it up and take longer if you haven't practiced.

Though I would recommend it for a draft legal race. Did Superleague triathlon last year and came into T1 exactly the same time as the guy next to me. He did a flying mount and I didn't. I only lost a few seconds but it was enough to miss the group he got on the back off and fall behind quite quickly

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh boy this was posted today? I need to find a local triathlon to spectate this weekend and see all the hard failures of people trying to do these immediately!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use SPD pedals, I gave up road pedals about 15 years ago, I got tired of having different shoes for different bikes. I just do a cross mount leaving and a cross dismount coming back in. Some of the guys in the video need to do a little cross racing in the Fall to get their mount and dismounts down, although it is tougher barefoot on pavement.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Ooh boy this was posted today? I need to find a local triathlon to spectate this weekend and see all the hard failures of people trying to do these immediately!

lol good idea.

I don’t see that many attempting a flying mount but I see a lot of general difficulty mounting bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video makes me feel much better about myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was picking up trash while checking bikes out after a race the weekend before last... I couldn't believe the number of rubber bands I found. It makes me think that next time I need to hang out at bike out to watch all of these people and their flying mounts.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
This video makes me feel much better about myself.
ditto. I'm not that hot at transitions but would smoke half these people. Not that it would matter overall...
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I was picking up trash while checking bikes out after a race the weekend before last... I couldn't believe the number of rubber bands I found. It makes me think that next time I need to hang out at bike out to watch all of these people and their flying mounts.

I was surprised to see Lucy Charles just do the stop and leg over method.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and she nearly ate shit on the dismount...

bad luck for the guy who dropped a chain right before mounting. he hung in there and got it untangled. nothing like riding for the next few hours with chain wax/grease on the fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
and she nearly ate shit on the dismount...

bad luck for the guy who dropped a chain right before mounting. he hung in there and got it untangled. nothing like riding for the next few hours with chain wax/grease on the fingers.

Definitely felt bad for that guy. That’s got to be an awful feeling. And then the guy who just blew past the dismount line. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the rule if you ride past the line and come back to dismount in front of it? (Not directed at anyone in particular.)
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [TriA6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be a time penalty. Doesn't matter if you come back
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While mainly true for mid and full distance tris, this is an example why cyclists laugh at triathletes. I will say that the hand position on a tt bike doesn't do them any favors for the mount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to see a bike mount fail then watch one of the best failing miserably in Roth 1996...Hahaha...Legend!

14:15 into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqcG4F7VOA8
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mounts were worse than i expected! Some did the running/jumping mount some did the stop and leg over. But this also comforts me in that not having the shoes clipped in makes me lose a minimal amount of time.
For the dismount, i dont know what i just saw, so many bad dismounts, probably really badly marked dismount line too but they should rec the course beforehand. Not doing a running dismount but actually stopped seems insane even for me, such a waste of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If T1/T2 is that important to folks they should treat it that way.

It looks like amateur hour up in there. I'm also a non-believer in the shoes/rubber band style getup. Always seeing the majority of the people fail and flail in the videos trying to get their feet in. It's almost like one person had luck with it and the internet jumped on it as the thing to do.

While you are moving while getting them on, you're moving very slowly and perhaps dangerously. A person who spent 10 seconds in T1 to get them on first will be traversing that section of road you're farting around with your shoes on. Making it a wash.

Cyclocross rules you for mount/dismount:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAF1FkdVm9M

And the bike swaps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2uBTCcnkJw

Then again, they do it dozens of times per workout instead of maybe 5x per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I'm the only one that just puts their shoes on in Transition and runs in them and gets on my bike. I've timed it and for me, it's the fastest and safest.

Even having my shoes clipped in and riding with my feet on top...I'm trying to fart around and get my feet in the shoes, get them strapped in. While soaking wet and trying to navigate the exit and start of the bike. I just want to get my shoes on and ride.

Every time I tried the rubber band trick, it either broke early, broke in transition.

I use LOOK cleats so maybe that's why I can run in my shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting and IMO the pedaling on top of your shoes is a complex way to do a flying mount. Now you've mashed your shoes down and have to get your foot in there.. WHILE pedaling down the road.

I mount like they do in ITU... shoes wide open and banded tight with cranks horizontal to the ground. Feet go straight into my shoes, start pedaling and cinch them down at speed when I get away from the mount line.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trick with leaving the shoes on the bike is to not put them on right away. Wait til you're up to speed and preferably on a slight downhill. Or, if you're really good, leave them wide open and put your feet straight into the shoes on mounting, don't put your feet on top first. It's not that hard.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever done the shoes on pedals style and wound up running through some crap that got on the bottom of your feet before you mounted?

THAT would suck soooooo bad. Execute it perfectly and wind up with a stone or twig or some trash eating your foot up the entire bike leg. Or having to stop to fix it!

That seems like a legit risk also.

I mean, I walk barefoot from the house to the car to get stuff out and it's concrete the whole way and I almost always pickup something on my feet in that 20 ish feet. Much less 50 yards or so of transition running.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Anyone ever done the shoes on pedals style and wound up running through some crap that got on the bottom of your feet before you mounted?

THAT would suck soooooo bad. Execute it perfectly and wind up with a stone or twig or some trash eating your foot up the entire bike leg. Or having to stop to fix it!

I mean, I walk barefoot from the house to the car to get stuff out and it's concrete the whole way and I almost always pickup something on my feet in that 20 ish feet. Much less 50 yards or so of transition running.

Not that I recall

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed this and it makes me feel better about forsaking the flying mount and rubber-banded shoes. A flying mount done well is pretty to watch, but if the pros are that bad I'm not going to master it without a lot of practice. Even then, it seems there is a lot of risk for the reward of a handful of seconds. I've always thought that for most of us, the most important aspect of the transition is simply resisting the urge to rest. Run fast between all points, ignore the urge to catch your breath, and stay concentrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Not that I recall

Bryan Rodhes stubbed his toe and broke it at T1 IMC in 2003, came off the bike in the lead and didn’t realize it was broken until his first steps....out of the race.

On a side note having done several thousand hours of train switching you never thread the needle and dismount with your leading leg, always plant leg is trailing (this is actually a safety reg)

Bikes are a bit safer and lighter than trains, but dismount speeds are about the same.

I never do flying mounts on LC anymore, largely because you’re not allowed, but also because everyone around you *thinks* they can do a flying mount when in reality it’s about 10% who can pull it off correctly.

If it costs me an extra 10s to put my shoes on in T1 perfectly and not stub my toe or get sand or a small rock in my shoes then no biggie for me.

Fun video!
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting video of bike mounts and dismounts [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

Bryan Rodhes stubbed his toe and broke it at T1 IMC in 2003, came off the bike in the lead and didn’t realize it was broken until his first steps....out of the race.

Twice in the past 33 years I've injured my foot (stubbed toe that might have been broken, badly cut foot) but in both cases that was while exiting the water.

On the other hand, I found out the hard way in one race that sometimes asphalt can get really slick when wet, and plastic cleats don't offer much traction in those cases...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next