Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did they have an athlete meeting today, is the swim on or off???
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So did they have an athlete meeting today, is the swim on or off???

Ohhh you know wtc better than that, we'll find out tomorrow morning at 6:59am

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
A little confused about your last sentence, what would we be thinking is a good thing?

I would say well more than half the people in that race are quietly hoping the swim gets cancelled, and even more hope it gets shortened. That is what I mean..

I really doubt that!
Everyone who debuts there hopes to do the real race. Even those hoping to win ag wouæd probably lile to not have an asterix by their win. Probably only weak pro swimmers hope f8r something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forget the exact race, there was a thread on it here though. They announced in the morning that the swim was cancelled, and there was a majority of folks clapping and cheering in response. So you doubt seem to be in conflict with what actually happens at these cancelled swim races.

Not really a surprise though, most triathletes are not really comfortable in OW, so I dont really blame them. I blame the RD for catering to them though, swims should happen one way or the other. People should be able to opt out, but others should be able to decide for themselves if the swim course is ok for them to compete in...
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Probably only weak pro swimmers hope f8r something else.

Isn't Lionel racing tomorrow? I think although he would benefit hes the kind of personality that would want to win on full distance.
Last edited by: CP78: Dec 8, 18 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke with the RD this morning in T1. Water is 57, if it cracks that tonight the swim will be 750M.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if there will be live coverage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the funniest thing was Steelhead the last few years being non wetsuit and hearing people freaking the f out.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That happened at the ag nationals sprint race this year. Super discouraging
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At race meeting at 11am they said water temp Saturday morning was 56°F. They said 53°F to 55°F would be 750 meter swim. Below 53°F was no swim. 56°F and up was full swim distance.

On another note, race guide or schedule said nothing (that I saw) about setting up T2. I didn't. It also just state transition opens at 4:45am, but didn't differentiate between the two or at which transition body marking would be at. I hope that I will be able to set my gear at T2 in the morning. If not, I'll be running barefoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
10 AM to 5 PM - Mandatory Run Gear Check-In - Indian Wells Tennis Garden (T2)

It was in there. I think they'll take pity on you and let you put stuff in there but you may have to beg.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [UK2SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the 2015 race. I've had painful cold-water swims before but yeah, that was the first time I even felt my nervous system shutting down.

Just not my thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro_Sandbagger wrote:
At race meeting at 11am they said water temp Saturday morning was 56°F. They said 53°F to 55°F would be 750 meter swim. Below 53°F was no swim. 56°F and up was full swim distance.

On another note, race guide or schedule said nothing (that I saw) about setting up T2. I didn't. It also just state transition opens at 4:45am, but didn't differentiate between the two or at which transition body marking would be at. I hope that I will be able to set my gear at T2 in the morning. If not, I'll be running barefoot.

Is that at all IM 70.3 races or is it up to the individual race directors. (The temps)

Any idea what the temp was at IM Mar Del Plata last week that caused them to shorten it?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was also sent out to all athletes in the final instruction e-mail. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope someone will live stream this :)
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Pro_Sandbagger wrote:

Is that at all IM 70.3 races or is it up to the individual race directors. (The temps)

Any idea what the temp was at IM Mar Del Plata last week that caused them to shorten it?

Mar Del Plata water temp was 15 celsius, apparently what got it shortened was the combination of cold water and cold air temperature (about 11 celsius at the start I think). It is a bit of a joke how easily a swim can get cancelled/shortened, MDP was fine and I am a BOP swimmer and skinnier than most, so if it was really cold I would have felt it more than others.

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
57 degrees this morning. 1.2 mile swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LS 9th out of water, 6th on 1st bike checkpoint, now 1st at mile 45 a minute up.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, he was 17th out of the water.

9th M Pro
14th M
17th Overall

But yes, now he is 1st overall at 55 miles in. Looks like it will be a footrace with him and Joe Gambles.

Really too bad there is no Ironman live coverage of this race with how many pros are there.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Lionel’s coach may have told him to catch the lead group then just ride with them? Or he couldn’t get away?

On the run looks like he was just steadily running a few seconds per mile faster than Gambles from the beginning.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a nice time, 3:45. Considering everyone around here (PHX), was like: "I hope you like wind" when I was still planning to do a 70.3 this year back in April.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'll be there shooting for an elite card qualifier. I'll be pretty curious to see the field (pro and amateur) that shows up.

Looks like you accomplished your goal with 1st overall amateur, congrats! Good time as well, the 4:03:24 would’ve been good enough for 11th in the pro field

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some pretty fast time out there, but of course there were some fast athletes, on a cool, calm, and flat day..Looking at swim times it seems to have been spot on, or maybe 50m long. What did everyone get on their gamins for the bike and runs??

And I always forget to add, when you give your Garmin times, make sure to say if they included transition runs in the total, I think a lot of short courses get overlooked because people start the watches at the bike drop off, then run for up to 3 minutes before actually hitting the start line of the actual run...

Very glad they had the whole swim too, good for them to keep the race honest...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a female friend that is a Boston qualifier/finisher in 45-49 and top 20 70.3 in her AG. She DNFed on the swim. Feel really bad for her. She went all the way from NJ to California for this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Some pretty fast time out there, but of course there were some fast athletes, on a cool, calm, and flat day..Looking at swim times it seems to have been spot on, or maybe 50m long. What did everyone get on their gamins for the bike and runs??

And I always forget to add, when you give your Garmin times, make sure to say if they included transition runs in the total, I think a lot of short courses get overlooked because people start the watches at the bike drop off, then run for up to 3 minutes before actually hitting the start line of the actual run...

Very glad they had the whole swim too, good for them to keep the race honest...

I had 2000m on the swim (not a straight swimmer), 90.1 km on the bike and 20.34km on the run but with all the turns on the golf course, I would give them maybe 400m, still short on all my teammate's watches

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next