Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you?
Quote | Reply
I may not be able to beat you in the pool, but I'm sure that I could make a decent race at 100 meters with this guy[/img]

http://www.latimes.com/...57513-htmlstory.html

How many of you could finish in front of Mr. "Dead Last"? In this day and age, he had to know what he was signing up for, especially since his father was president of the Ethiopian federation ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam 100 in 1:04:xx? Still beats 95% of slowtwitch.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:04.95

yup, i had the same thought
Last edited by: walie: Aug 14, 16 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are confusing two guys.

A guy swam 1:54 a few Olympics ago. He was from Equatorial Guinea. The other 2 guys in his heat false started. I think 8 months before he swam in the Olympics he couldn't swim. He trained in a dirty 15 meter pool.

This guy swam a 1:04. I highly doubt you can beat him. His dad might be president of the Olympic Committee in Ethiopia, but until the LA Times (or other new outlet) produces an athlete from Ethiopia who swims faster than a 1:04...
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
I think you are confusing two guys.

A guy swam 1:54 a few Olympics ago. He was from Equatorial Guinea. The other 2 guys in his heat false started. I think 8 months before he swam in the Olympics he couldn't swim. He trained in a dirty 15 meter pool.

This guy swam a 1:04. I highly doubt you can beat him. His dad might be president of the Olympic Committee in Ethiopia, but until the LA Times (or other new outlet) produces an athlete from Ethiopia who swims faster than a 1:04...

No chance I can beat 1:04.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lose.
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're referring to "Eric the Eel" :). That was a great story!

Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric actually got to be a pretty decent swimmer, eventually. Around 55 /56 secs for his 100

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From age 17 to 35 I would have beat him handily.
It's good to see swimmers from non traditional countries in the Olympics, but that guy doesn't belong. He's no 1:52, but he doesn't belong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
99%.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

99%.

I would totally crush this guy.

Biking and running. ;-)

Just goes to show, great swimmers are always great swimmers, even if/when they're not in the best shape.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best swimmer on my HS team had a physique to match this dude. He went to the state meet 4 years straight and placed top 10 in several events. In the fly and IM, the guy that beat him set records.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Crushes me.

Quote | Reply
There are a bunch of 11-12 year old boys that would beat him. That time isn't even AAAA for that age group. That said, I like it. Good for him if Ethiopia didn't have anyone faster to send.
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely, somebody knows somebody related to somebody that went to Stanford, etc. who could represent Ethiopia in swimming better than this guy. IMO, That his daddy leads the Ethiopian Swimming Federation only shows corrupt, crony bureaucracy and the Olympic movement at its worst. "Lead a federation, get a free trip", regardless of your skill level (or lack, thereof).

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not necessarily what it says.

In many small countries (and in swimming terms Ethiopia is a very very small country) the boards of the federations are made up of the parents of swimmers and former swimmers. They are volunteer positions, no glory. It is very likely that the dad is on the federation only because the son likes swimming, and the son could be the best they have to offer, in a country with no real swimming infrastructure.

Not saying that is definitely the case in Ethiopia, but before for vilify the guy, just have a little perspective.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Surely, somebody knows somebody related to somebody that went to Stanford, etc. who could represent Ethiopia in swimming better than this guy. IMO, That his daddy leads the Ethiopian Swimming Federation only shows corrupt, crony bureaucracy and the Olympic movement at its worst. "Lead a federation, get a free trip", regardless of your skill level (or lack, thereof).
their national record is 1:01. Competitive swimming is not a sport there. They only have 3 events even recognized (lcm mens). The head of the their swimming program is not the same as usa swimming. A 1:01 is not getting you into stanford ir anywhere else
Last edited by: Sidney Porter: Aug 14, 16 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

In many small countries (and in swimming terms Ethiopia is a very very small country) the boards of the federations are made up of the parents of swimmers and former swimmers. They are volunteer positions, no glory. It is very likely that the dad is on the federation only because the son likes swimming, and the son could be the best they have to offer, in a country with no real swimming infrastructure.

Not saying that is definitely the case in Ethiopia, but before for vilify the guy, just have a little perspective.

As always, you represent Canada well, by only looking for the best in people and being unfailingly nice ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not only would he handily beat me, I also kind of look like him :)

He should spend a few weeks with the Ethiopian runners...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Aug 14, 16 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [Sidney Porter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swimmer in question holds their national record for the 50m free lcm at 27 seconds. They might not have anyone else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Eric actually got to be a pretty decent swimmer, eventually. Around 55 /56 secs for his 100

Holy crap, I had no idea. Where did he swim those times? That is quite an improvement over a couple of years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

As always, you represent Canada well, by only looking for the best in people and being unfailingly nice ;-)

It's not really me looking for the best, it's just not assuming the worst.

I also have a little experience. I'm from Bermuda, at one time I was on the board of the cycling federation, and I swam for the country prior to taking up cycling. Bermuda is all of 60,000 people, and our swimming program dwarfs Ethiopia's. That's how the sports federations work in small countries, it's just the handful of people who have an interest in the sport keeping it going.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's okay Jason, we've adopted you as a Canadian... Whether you like it or not! LOL
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have dual citizenship. You've got me whether you want me or not!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next