Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Arizona [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadPansy wrote:
What are the odds IM Arizona happens this November?

I'm going with 0%
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live here. Look at our data, hospitalizations have been flat. Unless this comes with shutting down bars there's no reason to cancel this thing.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I live here. Look at our data, hospitalizations have been flat. Unless this comes with shutting down bars there's no reason to cancel this thing.

I'll take your word on the data, which is great, but it seems less likely it stays that way if you host an Ironman. Unlike the 70.3, I can't imagine it's mostly local folks. Also, flat is good, down is better.

Edit: Also, it's possible Ironman/The city of Tempe learned something about the recent event in Florida that influenced the decision.

Edit #2: From the announcement "after further conversations today with city and health officials following a recent increase in cases across the Tempe region" seems they have different data than you?
Last edited by: Andres: Nov 12, 20 18:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was driving down Mill the other night, "slammed" is the only way to describe it.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I withdrew a few weeks ago, because of Covid concerns when my wife visited Tempe and she felt very uncomfortable with a lack of Covid precautions at her hotel. Glad I did!
Also, I thought Ironman treated me very fairly/kindly in giving me a transfer.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
With the way COVID cases and positivity rates are rising around Phoenix I don’t have much faith this race happens. Numbers are more than triple what they were when the 70.3 happened. In two weeks it will likely be 4-6x more. Could it slide in under the wire? Maybe but COVID is about to dominate the news cycle again and I think permits and such get extreme scrutiny.

The one AZ race three weeks ago and the two FL races this past weekend got lucky with timing. There’s almost zero chance the FL70.3 happens next month. FL numbers should be back to our summer peaks in another two or three weeks. Five weeks from now and it’s a shitshow.

Not once this year did I ever say I told you so but...

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
With the way COVID cases and positivity rates are rising around Phoenix I don’t have much faith this race happens. Numbers are more than triple what they were when the 70.3 happened. In two weeks it will likely be 4-6x more. Could it slide in under the wire? Maybe but COVID is about to dominate the news cycle again and I think permits and such get extreme scrutiny.

The one AZ race three weeks ago and the two FL races this past weekend got lucky with timing. There’s almost zero chance the FL70.3 happens next month. FL numbers should be back to our summer peaks in another two or three weeks. Five weeks from now and it’s a shitshow.

Not once this year did I ever say I told you so but...

This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but you were wrong about IMFL and AZ 70.3, so no victory laps on predictions
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Yeah, but you were wrong about IMFL and AZ 70.3, so no victory laps on predictions

True but I was right the other 50 times.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you were right, before you were wrong, and then you were right again?

Your big prediction was no races in 2020. You were incorrect.

Care to look into your crystal ball and tell us what lies ahead in 2021, old wise man?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Buddy when you say every race is unequivocally going to be cancelled and a few races happen, you're 100% wrong. Take the L and move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Care to look into your crystal ball and tell us what lies ahead in 2021, old wise man?

You’ll be butthurt again when one of your races gets canceled. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Boundless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boundless wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Buddy when you say every race is unequivocally going to be cancelled and a few races happen, you're 100% wrong. Take the L and move on.

You guys crack me up. Sorry that I was only correct like 60 times and wrong three times. That’s a heck of a completion percentage or free throw percentage.

I will try better with my forecast modeling moving forward.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I live here. Look at our data, hospitalizations have been flat.

That's not exactly what I'd call "flat." Though there is a little dip right at the end there, unclear if that's noise or signal. Combined with the skyrocketing case rate, I'd suggest maybe noise.

Last edited by: trail: Nov 13, 20 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Data for cases always lags a few weeks because health departments are not necessarily sending in results in real time. Therefore, I bet that spike is only going higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what was said.

But I think there is more to this than just Covid19.....

Or rather less (or fewer)....

How many people want to race a 82.3% Ironman??

Travel + Covid19 + Cost !!!

How many people would rather transfer to next year?

How many people does Ironman need to make an event profitable?
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Nov 13, 20 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that your right. While COVID metrics are a major concern, I’m sure that for the city of Tempe and Ironman the risk was outweighing the reward. I feel for the RD, but I’m sure it wasn’t a total surprise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 cases today w 20,000 tests...

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
~15% positivity rate es no bueno.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Boundless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boundless wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I think the GMAN deserves to have his "I told you so" moment on this one. Sure, TWO races IMFL and AZ 70.3 happened, but on the whole, the man was correct about races this year.

I was registered for AZ, chose to defer few weeks ago due to travel restrictions, the shortened course, and anticipation of COVID probably getting worse between then and race day. Seeing it cancelled now is a strange feeling - even though I'd deferred I was pleased with the idea that some folks might get a chance to race and do so in a safe (or, as safe as possible...) environment. as was the case with the 70.3. and that was fine by me. But the world is in a different place with cases right now. The decision to cancel the event is 100% the correct one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
I live here. Look at our data, hospitalizations have been flat.

That's not exactly what I'd call "flat." Though there is a little dip right at the end there, unclear if that's noise or signal. Combined with the skyrocketing case rate, I'd suggest maybe noise.

I did find it this graphic interesting to watch throughout AZ's spring/summer. ICU bed capacity is never something that seems to have "lots of space" and I suppose that's by design.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Hospitals aren't designed to lose money. You have enough ICU beds for your baseline daily load, plus enough for some temporary acute disaster, like an earthquake, etc.

There's no "pandemic capacity" designed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I agree. Hospitals aren't designed to lose money. You have enough ICU beds for your baseline daily load, plus enough for some temporary acute disaster, like an earthquake, etc.

There's no "pandemic capacity" designed in.

Extra capacity is designed in during mass casualty planning. It's there, but you just can't and won't see it represented by empty ICU beds and idle ICU staff members.

I know this is semantics sorry.

On the bright side! All those who trained for IMAZ are a shitton fitter now. Keep it up...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Based on empirical evidence, 0% chance of races in 2021.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Extra capacity is designed in during mass casualty planning. It's there, but you just can't and won't see it represented by empty ICU beds and idle ICU staff members.

Except mass casualty extra capacity is usually overflowing to med surg and other units.

You can't (easily) do that with COVID or any pandemic with easily communicable disease because you're then having to put full COVID protocol on much wider areas of the hospital, and putting more non-COVID patients at risk.

Any more discussion should probably be LR, though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next