Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Descending as carbon heat up bad? Is aluminum a good choice? Or go road bike?

Trek SC, Madone, Domane disc are the choices

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

No, not heat build up but skill set descending especially those from flatlands. Everyone concerns themselves with climbing, but the downhills are where the difference is really made. Carbon wheels should be fine, and definitely a Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any comparison to the Pontevedra long course?

I did that with my tribike and the climbs were punchy with some technical spots but not terrible and the long descent back into town was slowed by swirling cross winds.

I’m bringing my p3 and plan to practice descending fast but will have to search for some local spots. Went 11/25 w compact without issues. I only care about my bike split on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

I don't know what the weather is like in early September around Nice, but last May I raced IM 70.3 Pays d'Aix near Marseilles and the worst weather day was race day. A large thunderstorm moved in about 15 miles into the bike and the rain was insane. I live where the weather and racing can be terrible, but we don't have descents and switchbacks like you regularly find in France. The course had something like 2,600 feet of descending and it only took a couple of close calls at a sharp corner at the bottom of a descent to figure out I had to back off and bleed as much speed off as possible before starting a descent. I knew my carbon clincher braking limitations, but I had never tested them to this extent before. There were riders around me doing variations on Fred Flintstone with their feet dragging on the ground trying to slow down. Others in ditches. The RD claimed 25% DNF at the awards ceremony. My lasting impression of a surreal day was the light blue corner sharp corner warning signs.

This race experience illustrated to me where disc brakes could be beneficial on a tri bike. My wife (much lighter) raced using Zipp NSW wheels with the show stopper etched brake tracks and had an easier time. Outside of disc brakes the metal rim options or HED Black could be a real benefit if wet weather is a consideration.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any comparison whatsoever to the 2017 70.3 WC in Chattanooga?

Tough bike course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Any comparison to the Pontevedra long course?

I did that with my tribike and the climbs were punchy with some technical spots but not terrible and the long descent back into town was slowed by swirling cross winds.

I’m bringing my p3 and plan to practice descending fast but will have to search for some local spots. Went 11/25 w compact without issues. I only care about my bike split on race day.

Have not done the Pontevedra course. Nice has looooooong climbs and very sharp descents with switchbacks. When I raced there was a pretty strong headwind back towards the coast (T2) so aero was huge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Video of the course. 56ish min in starts the descents. Seriously considering disc road bike. It would be different if I knew the course, but there are some serious switchbacks at speed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DXE4g_ubsOs

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd still go tri bike and rim brakes. Pros are racing that way and you'll be fine. Just as I have said to a number of people, practice your descending. Far too many are worried about going up and miss the hardest part about doing Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan - wondering if I can ask your advice. I have an older AG female that I coach. She is not confident descending on bars. We can work on it, but it will still be a limitation. I'm leaning toward her riding this race on her roadie with 30mm carbon rims. I get it is a TT bike course for the pros, but those switchback descents concern me for a less skilled age grouper. Your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [thespindoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thespindoctor wrote:
Hi Dan - wondering if I can ask your advice. I have an older AG female that I coach. She is not confident descending on bars. We can work on it, but it will still be a limitation. I'm leaning toward her riding this race on her roadie with 30mm carbon rims. I get it is a TT bike course for the pros, but those switchback descents concern me for a less skilled age grouper. Your thoughts?

having ridden those roads a lot, no question. TT bike. if she feels that she's not confident, what i would say is that she should get confident. figure out why she's not confident and fix it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, Shall do. thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What cassette? 30,32?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
What cassette? 30,32?

well, i'd have to see the course. but, honestly, i wonder if there might be a decent reproduction of this course on rouvy. if i were you that's what i'd do, if you're set up with a smart trainer. ride the course. failing that, i'd like to see the course profile and make a decision based on that. what i rode, in races, were the old nice triathlons. i'd need to see the exact course. but i don't remember the roads as being particularly steep.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
thespindoctor wrote:

having ridden those roads a lot, no question. TT bike. if she feels that she's not confident, what i would say is that she should get confident. figure out why she's not confident and fix it.

How **old** - which AG?

:)

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
thespindoctor wrote:

Also having ridden it, totally agree with Dan. Descending and cornering are skills important and not impossible to master. Plenty of time left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the two mains climbs for each event : 70.3 Nice has Col de Vence which is a bit steeper than Col de l'Ecre in the full Ironman.

This is col de l'Ecre (full IM) :

And below is Col de Vence in the 70.3 :

I rode 36x32 as min gear ratio a couple of years ago at IM Nice (2016), which was good to climb seated mostly and mostly on the 36x28, using the 32 only a handful of times. Goal that day was to run a sub3 marathon so I was pretty conservative on the bike.

For 70.3 WC this year, I plan on using 38x30 as min gear ratio, the climb definitely is steeper but the half distance should allow me to push more watts in the climb that I would in the full IM.

I think everybody should be aware that there is a 9% section in col de Vence with a bit more than a km at 8% average and soon after another 2km at 7% average. So just saying it's not the toughest of climb but still one we should take seriously !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather again .........
For packing (light) purposes:
What's the weather like 1st part of September there?
Fairly consistant or ??? And if so / if not- generally, what is it like?
Water temp.- pack a wetsuit?
Bring bike? Rent bike?
Sorry if these are silly. Total noob to international travel.
Sooo............. this could be interesting.
Will be watching this thread closely over the next few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
thespindoctor wrote:

Going back to the descent in question...

I am planning to bring my TT bike with Enve 7.8s. Is there any concern about really overheating the carbon brake tracks on these wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Weather again .........
Bring bike? Rent bike?

Just started to look into the water temperature. According to this (https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/france/nice.htm) it should be between 20-24. So a warm wetsuit legal swim.

September is the tail end of their warm season. https://weatherspark.com/...ce-France-Year-Round Potential to be humid and muggy.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thespindoctor wrote:

I am planning to bring my TT bike with Enve 7.8s. Is there any concern about really overheating the carbon brake tracks on these wheels?

No, my old Zipps were even fine. With better descending skills you'll do less braking anyway. Watch tire pressure and if necessary, sit upright to create more drag to slow down.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Weather again .........
Bring bike? Rent bike?

I'm not sure weather but the run on the coast is very likely warm as there isn't a ton of shade. I remember 90 plus degrees but with some ocean breeze, was not an issue.
Water, definitely a wetsuit! Gorgeous water, small pebbly beach, so a throw away sandal is a good idea before the start.
I'd bring a bike that you are confident on. Being a World Championship, I'm sure the mechanics, should you need anything, will be abundant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thespindoctor wrote:

No, my old Zipps were even fine. With better descending skills you'll do less braking anyway. Watch tire pressure and if necessary, sit upright to create more drag to slow down.

Cool thanks. I have no problem descending at speed and scrubbing speed "smartly" when needed. (I do a lot of training near Lake Placid)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thespindoctor wrote:

Cool thanks. I have no problem descending at speed and scrubbing speed "smartly" when needed. (I do a lot of training near Lake Placid)

Then you'll absolutely love it. It's a gorgeous place and a really great race venue. Wish I was going but thought about it too late to Q. Enjoy....
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for some guidance, I can do an overnight flight at 10pm Tuesday, or 5pm Wednesday. At first I was looking for a flight at Wednesday so I didn't take additional days off work so I think the Tuesday 10pm should be good wont need to take off work that day, and would arrive Wednesday at 5PM. Price wise the only reasonable option is another overnight flight back to IAD on Monday. Does this sound reasonable(leave tuesday night and return monday night? Flight to France(Luftansa) is rated well, but the flight home appears to be shitty(swiss air or Brussels air)..... meh I despise flying. Then the question of the bike. Travell with it or ship it?

Lodging: Theres a bunch of pretty affordable airBnBs still around. I'm just a little unsure about an airBnb in another country. Thoughts?
Theres a few hotels still around in the surrounding area at 150-250night. So about double the price of an Airbnb. No risk of the host canceling last minute though.

If I do this right, I will be able to pay for the majority of this travel using credit card points. I'll be traveling alone if that matters, I don't travel much so this is all pretty new to me

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I'm looking for some guidance, I can do an overnight flight at 10pm Tuesday, or 5pm Wednesday. At first I was looking for a flight at Wednesday so I didn't take additional days off work so I think the Tuesday 10pm should be good wont need to take off work that day, and would arrive Wednesday at 5PM. Price wise the only reasonable option is another overnight flight back to IAD on Monday. Does this sound reasonable(leave tuesday night and return monday night? Flight to France(Luftansa) is rated well, but the flight home appears to be shitty(swiss air or Brussels air)..... meh I despise flying. Then the question of the bike. Travell with it or ship it?

Lodging: Theres a bunch of pretty affordable airBnBs still around. I'm just a little unsure about an airBnb in another country. Thoughts?
Theres a few hotels still around in the surrounding area at 150-250night. So about double the price of an Airbnb. No risk of the host canceling last minute though.

If I do this right, I will be able to pay for the majority of this travel using credit card points. I'll be traveling alone if that matters, I don't travel much so this is all pretty new to me

How early would you have to ship the bike (assuming with TBT)? Flying with your bike is a hassle but you're not on anyone else's schedule, and could have it on hand in case you wanted to ride up Alp Huez (or similar bucket list climbs). I would leave Tuesday given the options you are considering but I like to get to destination races as early as possible. Have you looked into flights to Geneva or Milan and then driving to Nice?

I have used AirBnB in multiple countries including South Africa/Cape Town last year and have never had any problems (knock on wood)!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply

Prev Next