Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
wintershade wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
Not much fun doing this sport with no one to celebrate with.
Right on man.

Some good advice here. Keep it flowing.......

My plan this year was to take a year off IM and do two 70.3s and two Olympic races with a goal of getting faster (sub 5hrs at both 70.3s), with the official plan being an IM next year. But I kind wanted to keep some big riding in there to do a couple century rides mid-season. Sounds like an easy place to start is nix those, maybe do metric centuries instead.

Sub 5 hrs at a 70.3 should not require more than ~5 hrs training per week. If you need more, you’re doing it wrong.

Seriously? Maybe 5 hours during the week, sure, but you are not going to build that kind of speed on only 5 hours including weekends unless you are already incredibly talented, have a giant engine, and maybe supplement with things you shouldn't supplement with.

It sounds like you’re doing it wrong...

Sub 5 doesn’t require any real speed. For a male in his thirties (which I suppose applies to the OP) ~5 hours/week as a yearly average of hard, proper training should be enough if you have normal talent and are not overweight.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:

Sub 5 doesn’t require any real speed. For a male in his thirties (which I suppose applies to the OP) ~5 hours/week as a yearly average of hard, proper training should be enough if you have normal talent and are not overweight.

I am not doing anything wrong, but I am also much faster than 5:00. Regardless, you moved the goalpost here. You said someone should be able to go sub-5 on 5 hours per week, which I am arguing is not really possible. You then said 5hrs per week as a yearly average. This is not even close to the same thing. I'll even agree with you that as a yearly average, 5hrs per week is enough, but the last 4 weeks of a 70.3 training cycle is going to have to necessarily be a bit more than 5hrs if the goal is to go sub-5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
g_lev wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
wintershade wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
Right on man.

My plan this year was to take a year off IM and do two 70.3s and two Olympic races with a goal of getting faster (sub 5hrs at both 70.3s), with the official plan being an IM next year. But I kind wanted to keep some big riding in there to do a couple century rides mid-season. Sounds like an easy place to start is nix those, maybe do metric centuries instead.

Sub 5 hrs at a 70.3 should not require more than ~5 hrs training per week. If you need more, you’re doing it wrong.

Seriously? Maybe 5 hours during the week, sure, but you are not going to build that kind of speed on only 5 hours including weekends unless you are already incredibly talented, have a giant engine, and maybe supplement with things you shouldn't supplement with.

If you could pull this off as a coach, and get all of your M30-40 age-athletes (NOT hand-selected talents or ones with deep endurance sport background!) to go sub 5 on <5hrs/wk training over the course of a year averaged, you would be the best coach in triathlon by far. Even the top coaches in the sport can't pull this off.

If you somehow manage to accomplish this with the results to prove, not only will I give you kudos in public, but I will sign up for your services at $400/month. (I'm not holding my breath...)
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 14, 19 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uw234 wrote:
Quote:

Wife works 80h weeks. Husband works 50+ tri training, so comes in around 80 as well, lets assume. 80/5= 16h per day...max daycare hours per day=12... leaves 20h for the weekend...

I think the math just doesn't work.... I am always amazed by this forum where people work 60+ hours, train 15+ hours, sleep min 8h per day AND have a great family life.....

You said it man, how are they calculating this? What's with the inflated rounding up? Adding your commute time?

Some people factor in all the fluff hours inside and around their job and factor it in. If you open your business at 7:AM, then walk across the street to get breakfast, work for 2 hours, go have lunch with a buddy, spend 2 hours web surfing, do three more hours of work, stop by the car dealership, go back to your business. Shuffle a few things around for an hour, lock up 7:PM Make a few business calls on the way home.

Honestly, your NOT WORKING A 12 HOUR DAY. You just waffled about 8 hours, and possibly worked for 4 hours.

I've met countless people in the business world that drop 16hr days because they just don't want to go/be home.....

I personally sometimes do extra work at night remotely, good grief it takes like 20-30 minutes. If I run some massive systems update, and have to just check on it two hours later so make sure it ran and sign off I can't say OH I WORKED 2 MORE HOURS!!!

Google Bistromath from The Hitchhiker's' Guide to the Galaxy :)

"""The Bistromathic Drive is used in Slartibartfast's craft Bistromath and works by exploiting the irrational mathematics that apply to numbers on a waiter's bill pad and groups of people in restaurants."""
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read most of the thread and I don't think this has been mentioned:

When you ask her what the schedule is for the weekend it puts pressure on her. You are making her responsible for scheduling family time. You may see it as allowing her to decide but after awhile it becomes a burden for her. She knows that if she doesn't explicitly schedule time with you then you are going to be off training. She has probably already asked herself "If I don't schedule family time will we ever see him?"

Error on the side of your family. I am about 15 years down the road from you and 17 years after my last Ironman. They are still running Ironmans and my kids don't care if I do them or not but they care if I go to water polo or soccer. In a few years they will be out of the house and I will have all that time to train and do an Ironman. Or not.

My wife is so much more important than winning my age group at Kona let alone qualifying.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [thickasabrick51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post for the win. I signed up but didn’t start an IM after my son was born. I lost morning workouts because I brought him and eventually my daughter to daycare in the mornings for a combined 10 years. I went from IM and 2 HIM a year to maybe 2-3 10K’s. My training was almost exclusively lunch hour runs. Looking back, I could have left the kids in daycare 10+ hours a day and after school care for 3 hours a day to pursue my hobby versus taking them swimming, to dance, gymnastics, soccer, skiing etc.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [fzzl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
My first wife ...
Dean T wrote:
I've been there, lived it. Ruined a couple marriages.
fzzl wrote:
You mention that ironman training broke up a previous 4-year relationship; be very careful, don't let this become a pattern. Not worth it.

As I've posted before: I know a few folks whose IronHubby or IronMissus is now an IronEx

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
g_lev wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
wintershade wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
Right on man.

If you could pull this off as a coach, and get all of your M30-40 age-athletes (NOT hand-selected talents or ones with deep endurance sport background!) to go sub 5 on <5hrs/wk training over the course of a year averaged, you would be the best coach in triathlon by far. Even the top coaches in the sport can't pull this off.

If you somehow manage to accomplish this with the results to prove, not only will I give you kudos in public, but I will sign up for your services at $400/month. (I'm not holding my breath...)

I am not saying everyone will do it, though anyone could do it (I admit it may be difficult during your first triathlon year if you’ve never done any endurance sports before). If you have your mind set and are willing to work five hard hours and race through some pain.

My experience is that most people are not willing (at least not when it comes down to actually executing) to do either of the two. In my opinion this is the main reason why most people don’t succeed in reaching their goals, not because of their coaches.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
thickasabrick51 wrote:
Disclaimer: For my opinion and US$ 4.25, Stabucks will sell you a grande mocha, so take it for what it's worth, but I'm 52 with a daughter about to graduate high school and head off to college and I've been married to the same woman for 26 years. I was a MOP triathlete on my best days and those days are long past, but I think I'm a damn good father and a pretty good husband.

If your life doesn't look like this: #1 Family, #2 Career and Triathlon #3 or lower, you're doing it wrong. Pretty soon, your kids are going to start doing something - maybe sports, maybe dance, maybe something else entirely.- you need to be there. When your wife wants to sleep in and have a Sunday brunch, you need to be there (and not wearing sweaty bike shorts). It sounds like you've got your priorities pretty screwed up right now and your wife just fired the first warning shot. Quit whining, put triathlon in its proper place and become a good dad and husband.

pretty much this.

When your kids are grown, do you really think that they are really going to give a shit what your ultraman PR was? Or any of the other people who you care about? They might look at it and say "oh that's cool", but only if it means that you were their FATHER first and foremost.

I've dialed it [racing] back enough that we've gotten to the place where D'Kid will ask: "Dad, have you signed up for any races yet? I want to see you in one"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
lightheir wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
g_lev wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
wintershade wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
Right on man.

I am not saying everyone will do it, though anyone could do it (I admit it may be difficult during your first triathlon year if you’ve never done any endurance sports before). If you have your mind set and are willing to work five hard hours and race through some pain.

My experience is that most people are not willing (at least not when it comes down to actually executing) to do either of the two. In my opinion this is the main reason why most people don’t succeed in reaching their goals, not because of their coaches.

I still seriously doubt you or anyone could take 100 random M30-35 guys in decent health, and get even half of them to sub5 on <5hrs training per week if that's all they did. That has nothing to do with the athlete's unwillingness to suffer, and has everything to do with the unrealisticness of that expectation for the average person.

Now you take D1-D3 collegiate runners or swimmers - I suspect you'd be able to train them for 3-4 hrs a week and get a large majority of them sub5 pretty readily. Obviously that's a hugely different cohort than Mr Joe average.

You sound like I did when I was ages 18-30, and assume that the reason I could run an 18:xx 5k and that Joe Avg over there could only run 24:xx was my awesome training, awesome commitment, awesome effort. Turns out the reality is that sure, I trained hard, but genetics are far and away the reason I go that speed. I could train 2x as much and go slighter faster, or 2x as little and go slightly slower. Similarly, Joe Avg 24:xx runner could train as much as me, possibly get down to 21:xx if lucky, but he's never getting down to 18:xx. That's not training, that's just genetics. People with ability constantly lowball the contribution of genetics to their performance, and hugely overestimate their personal hard work and system, when it's actually reverse. Just look at how many sibilings race at the similar level, even if they're living totally in different countries under different coaches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about the details of said < 5 hours per week plan. I'm late 40s so I've missed the boat on this one ;) but I'ver never heard anybody mention this little training for 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She sent you a clear message.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
wintershade wrote:
During some pillow talk before bed last night, my wife asked me: "Do you think there will ever be a time when our life doesn't revolve around your crazy workout schedule?"

That was a not-so-subtle hint, my friend. She's unhappy. You'd better re-examine your priorities. When you're 70, will it matter more to you that you ran a 3 hour marathon and completed RAAM, or that you and your wife had a mutually fulfilling relationship?

Let' try that last part this way

"When you're 70, will it matter more to you that you ran a 3 hour marathon and completed RAAM, or that your wife [at the time] asked 'Do you think there will ever be a time when our life doesn't revolve around your crazy workout schedule?'"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boys are 14 and 16 years old right now. The thing that makes me the happiest is that I was able to be their soccer and baseball coach for the past six or seven years and was able to be at almost every practice and game. They also do volleyball and wrestling, and since I have no expertise in those sports, I had to be content with being at almost every game/match.

I hope that this is something that they can do with their kids too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am well aware that people have different abilities and not everyone is able to do a 15 min 5 k despite hard and dedicated training. Likewise, hitting a low 4 hrs 70.3 would not be for everyone as it requires a lot of speed.

Sub 5 hrs doesn’t require a lot of speed and is accessible for most everyone. This is my firm belief.

Also, I don’t say it is the best way to do it. But if you, as myself and the OP, are in a position where you have other things in life such as a wife and children that matter more than triathlon or any other sport for that sake, you have to work with what you have. And in such case I stand by that 5 hrs should do it if you do 5 good hrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
I am well aware that people have different abilities and not everyone is able to do a 15 min 5 k despite hard and dedicated training. Likewise, hitting a low 4 hrs 70.3 would not be for everyone as it requires a lot of speed.

Sub 5 hrs doesn’t require a lot of speed and is accessible for most everyone. This is my firm belief.

Also, I don’t say it is the best way to do it. But if you, as myself and the OP, are in a position where you have other things in life such as a wife and children that matter more than triathlon or any other sport for that sake, you have to work with what you have. And in such case I stand by that 5 hrs should do it if you do 5 good hrs.

Again, you should become a coach and just coach a stable of dedicated long-time MOPers to sub-5 on <5hrs /wk. You would literally be the most successful AG triathlon coach on the planet.

People believe all sorts of stuff based on what they see as a young man, and then change it drastically once they see a wider variety of athletes and effects of training on them.

I'm actually curious if Slowman himself has changed his views from this old-school post from 2004 that comes up from time to time. (Slowman was a pretty fast runner back in the day, I think he was sub 4:20 mile if I vaguely recall?)

And I'll definitely disagree 100% with the bolded section below about 1 out of every 5 men at age 45 having the capacity to run a 38min 10k. I've always placed in local running races in the top 15%, from ages M20-40+, so I'm probably already above Mr. Joe average genetics for running, and I ran a 10k 2 years ago while maintaining 75mpw for a marathon over 5 months (which is def 99%-maximal training for me.) I went 39:01 on a totally flat, fast course, and I was barely over age 40. There's no way 1 out of 5 males at age 45 can pull that off, even with maximal training.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Your_10k_PR_258.html

What do I mean by “run fast.” How fast? I’ll be blunt. I believe just about every reasonably fit male the age of 45 has the theoretical physiological capacity to run his age for a 10k, that is, a 10k in 45 minutes. Subtract 20 seconds for every year under 45, down to the age of 25, and add 20 seconds for every year over 45. Do the math, and you’ll see that according to my formula a 27 year old ought to be able to run a 39 minute 10k, and I mean almost ANY 27 year old. Likewise, the significant majority of 54 year old men ought to be able to run a 48 minute 10k. Women add 4 minutes.

“You’re grossly generalizing,” you might say. Yes, I am. “You have no independent, peer reviewed, published data on which you rely.” No, I don’t. Furthermore, it gets worse. Assuming you have no anatomical problems that keep you from training and running regularly, my contention is that 60 percent of those reading this are able to achieve what I describe above. Twenty percent cannot, that is, you have other things you’re good at. Running is not among your skills. However, that leaves another 20 percent, and you are capable of much, much more than the modest 10k speeds I published above. One out of every five men reading this can run 38 minutes for a 10k at age-45.

Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 15, 19 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
StaffanS wrote:

Again, you should become a coach and just coach a stable of dedicated long-time MOPers to sub-5 on <5hrs /wk. You would literally be the most successful AG triathlon coach on the planet.

People believe all sorts of stuff based on what they see as a young man, and then change it drastically once they see a wider variety of athletes and effects of training on them.

Closing in on 40, I hardly consider myself a young man anymore. However, what I’ve seen in my years is that most MOP athletes (in any endurance sport) are (i) overweight, and (ii) not aware of what it means to suffer during training/races.

Don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am happy for everyone who get there asses off the couch and exercise in any form - be it FOP, MOP, BOP or whatever as long as they enjoy it. But if we’re talking performance, most have never been even close to really push their bodies to their maximum during training sessions.

If they did, they would no longer be MOP. Even on a 5 hrs/week training regimen. But since most people are not willing to really push their limits and suffer, it will not happen and no coach in the world will change this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I attended the weekly track workout for 2 different tri clubs and a running club in CA over 3 years, went to a lot of the workouts. Saw the saw group of folks more or less, weekly. These folks went to their max or nearmax on those workouts. I even asked them how hard they were going, as I 'felt' like I was going much harder than them, but they told me they literally couldnt' go any farther/faster (and if you made them do another rep, they'd die, so they were telling the truth.)

I'd say the vast majority of those AGers trained over 5 hrs per week, and for tri, well above that. And I would say for sure very, very few of them would be able to go sub5 on 5 hrs per week in retrospect, esp since I couldn't come close to sub5 on 5hrs/wk and I was def faster than they were.

I'm sure you'll still disagree with me, so if you really want to prove your point, just list the workouts you would do to have any <M35 AGer go sub5 on 5 hours per week. Shouldn't be hard, as there are only 5 hours to work with!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How to stop it eating your life? Easy. Stop doing it. It's that simple. Unless it's how you pay the bills, it's a hobby. I haven't done a full distance since 2016. We had our daughter that year and there is *no way* I'd ever spent 20+hrs a week training now over being with her and my wife.

Instead, i smash myself on my MTB or road bike for 3hrs max, row on my Concept2, and run 5-10k. No more. I'm happy with my ongoing level of fitness (the rower was my single best ever sports purchase) and I actually have a life that isn't dictated to me by Training Peaks.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: mongooseman: Feb 16, 19 1:49
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure I agree with everyone here that you must not put training in front of your family but it is equally important not to put your own needs too far to the back of the queue.

Middle-age and parenthood is full of responsilbity and obligation and day in, day out, year in, year out sat in the same office doing the same sorts of tasks. Even in high flying jobs you can feel "i've been doing this crap for 20 years now and i'm bored with it", but you've got to go back tomorrow and the next day and the next day and the next because you have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed. This endless drugery can make you feel old and so far away from the youth that you once had that it can grind you down towards an unhappy life and arguably not being the best dad/husband/role model.

If you can get some joy from being active and eating well and enjoying the fact that you are 20 Kg lighter than every other 45 year old in your office and that you can run 10 miles without stopping, or do 100 miles on a bike without having to make a big deal about it and get the office to sponsor you like it's an epic voyage then go for it.

A few 1 hour slots out of your week to bang out a bike session, or go for a run at sunrise, or get up early and do 100 laps of the pool while the rest of the world is asleep is a small ask from those in your life that you work to support, taxi around constantly, pick up after and run around after for the rest of the waking week.

Like everything else it's a matter of balance and priorities and about being efficient with your time.

And for those who say they've got a child now so they can't do x or y. Wait until you have 3 kids - you'll look back at having only 1 kid and laugh at how easy it is but how much of a meal you made of it at the time.

(Full-Disclosure: i'm not allowed to do IM any more, my wife told me so!)

(Right, now i'm going to the garage to sit on my trainer for an hour, having already herded 3 kids through breakfast, tidied the kitchen, driven child#2 30 miles to a swim meet and had a work conference call)
Last edited by: RCCo: Feb 16, 19 4:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
First of all, wow! I just want to express my gratitude for everyone who has weighed in here and shared their personal stories. I must have hit on a topic that many have wrestled with, as I've never started a thread on any forum that's generated so many responses.

To summarize what I've taken away so far:
0) Heed the warning shot. I don't want to end up divorced. I love my wife. She's an incredible person, and honestly I probably don't deserve her.
1) Figure out if my wife's complaint about triathlon is really the tip of an iceberg (which it is, more below)
2) Have an candid discussion about is a "reasonable" amount of training, and potentially focus on shorter distance races (or single sport races) depending on time permitted by wife
3) Try to do that training at more convenient times for the family, and talk about training/racing A LOT less
4) Make it clear I'm putting my family (and work) ahead of triathlon (or any of my other self pursuits for that matter)

There were lots of questions asked of me, which I'll try to answer.
-- Could this be the tip of the iceberg? -- YES, it is. Whoever asked this should be a psychologist! I spoke to her last night, and she said the triathlon obsession is just a symptom of a more troubling disease. When we got married, we promised we'd be "equal partners" in domestic duties since we're both career driven, and she doesn't feel like I'm pulling my weight, especially since our son was born. She's a fast-rising jr partner at a top management consulting firm (works 65-80 hrs/wk with a ton of travel). I also have a demanding high pressure job but her hours are worse. Apparently, she feels like she has "three jobs: work, domestic chores, and now a baby" but I only have two jobs: "Work, and triathlon, which isn't a job because it's fun." So good to know where all this is coming from because now we can address the underlying issue, and I'm going to sign up for more chores around the house. This was all news to me, so if nothing else good comes out of this, at least we'll solve for that

-- Did my wife know about triathlon before we got married? Not really. She knew I was an athlete as a kid through college (and that Ironman broke up my post-college relationship of 4 years), but I was injured when I met my spouse. Except for the last 18 months, I wasn't training/racing. So she might say, "I didn't sign up for this." Shortly after we started dating, I was sidelined by two surgeries from overuse injuries, and didn't train for anything for most of the decade we've known each other. Since I couldn't do triathlons, I started racing cars at a high level (which was also very selfish, time consuming and WAY more expensive), but after a crash that could have killed me around when we started trying to get her pregnant, wife asked me to stop, which seemed reasonable. Needing a competitive outlet, I figured I'd give running a shot again, started with a 10K and worked my way back up to Ironman over about a year.

-- Can I compete at the highest level if I can't run a sub-3hr marathon "yet"? Well, the truth is, that's not what matters to me. My goal is not to be the fastest man in the world, but to discover how fast I can be and how far can I go. I don't yet know my potential, because just when I was getting into things hardcore in college and making progress, I blew out my knee running. My genes are good. My dad held track and field records that were only recently broken. I had my VO2 max tested in college as part of an academic study, I forget the VO2 max number but it was in 99% percentile so I know I have a big aerobic engine. Will I be an IM AG World Champ, probably not. Could I KQ? Maybe. But again, all I really want to know is.... how far can this sack of flesh carry me.

There reason I'm here, asking these questions, is because I know that in the end (having volunteered in hospice when I was younger) is almost everyone treasures most the time the spent with the people they love, not the their selfish achievements. The happiest ones were the once who find balance between feeling like they lived up to their potential while putting their loved ones first.

There is some good advice here about how to do it.

The plan that's resonated with me most so far is -- using shorter events (maybe Olympic distance or a mix of half-marathon + shorter/fun crits or gravel riding) to stay in shape for the next 10-15 years, then retire early and use all the free time to train for Ultraman etc. But key to that plan is keeping the body healthy, especially given my history of overuse injuries which historically have been my main limiter.

It sounds like you know what to do but you don’t like the answer.
I think we understand. We are all driven and give it our best shot.
Think of this as a cramp that will force you to slow down. Once your kids are in school, you will have more time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
StaffanS wrote:

I'm actually curious if Slowman himself has changed his views from this old-school post from 2004 that comes up from time to time. (Slowman was a pretty fast runner back in the day, I think he was sub 4:20 mile if I vaguely recall?)

And I'll definitely disagree 100% with the bolded section below about 1 out of every 5 men at age 45 having the capacity to run a 38min 10k. I've always placed in local running races in the top 15%, from ages M20-40+, so I'm probably already above Mr. Joe average genetics for running, and I ran a 10k 2 years ago while maintaining 75mpw for a marathon over 5 months (which is def 99%-maximal training for me.) I went 39:01 on a totally flat, fast course, and I was barely over age 40. There's no way 1 out of 5 males at age 45 can pull that off, even with maximal training.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Your_10k_PR_258.html

What do I mean by “run fast.” How fast? I’ll be blunt. I believe just about every reasonably fit male the age of 45 has the theoretical physiological capacity to run his age for a 10k, that is, a 10k in 45 minutes. Subtract 20 seconds for every year under 45, down to the age of 25, and add 20 seconds for every year over 45. Do the math, and you’ll see that according to my formula a 27 year old ought to be able to run a 39 minute 10k, and I mean almost ANY 27 year old. Likewise, the significant majority of 54 year old men ought to be able to run a 48 minute 10k. Women add 4 minutes.

“You’re grossly generalizing,” you might say. Yes, I am. “You have no independent, peer reviewed, published data on which you rely.” No, I don’t. Furthermore, it gets worse. Assuming you have no anatomical problems that keep you from training and running regularly, my contention is that 60 percent of those reading this are able to achieve what I describe above. Twenty percent cannot, that is, you have other things you’re good at. Running is not among your skills. However, that leaves another 20 percent, and you are capable of much, much more than the modest 10k speeds I published above. One out of every five men reading this can run 38 minutes for a 10k at age-45.

This contention about one in 5 men under 38 min at age 45 is just not true. I was 36 min 10 runner and had done a 5 K at 16 min in my late teens. At 45 I was a 44 min 10K guy. My best friend, at that time could do an ironman in 10:30 and a half in 4:50. Same age. The best he could do was 39 min for 10 K at that time. Race times are getting slower but in 10K with 100 people in it around here (Southern Ontario) you could win a 10K outright in 38 min sometimes. At 45 if you train hard enough to run 10k at your potential you will probably get injured.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
lightheir wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
g_lev wrote:
StaffanS wrote:
wintershade wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
Right on man.

I still seriously doubt you or anyone could take 100 random M30-35 guys in decent health, and get even half of them to sub5 on <5hrs training per week if that's all they did. That has nothing to do with the athlete's unwillingness to suffer, and has everything to do with the unrealisticness of that expectation for the average person.

Now you take D1-D3 collegiate runners or swimmers - I suspect you'd be able to train them for 3-4 hrs a week and get a large majority of them sub5 pretty readily. Obviously that's a hugely different cohort than Mr Joe average.

You sound like I did when I was ages 18-30, and assume that the reason I could run an 18:xx 5k and that Joe Avg over there could only run 24:xx was my awesome training, awesome commitment, awesome effort. Turns out the reality is that sure, I trained hard, but genetics are far and away the reason I go that speed. I could train 2x as much and go slighter faster, or 2x as little and go slightly slower. Similarly, Joe Avg 24:xx runner could train as much as me, possibly get down to 21:xx if lucky, but he's never getting down to 18:xx. That's not training, that's just genetics. People with ability constantly lowball the contribution of genetics to their performance, and hugely overestimate their personal hard work and system, when it's actually reverse. Just look at how many sibilings race at the similar level, even if they're living totally in different countries under different coaches.

Right on the money! I wish I could go sub 5 on 5 hours nut if I did that I’m not sure I would go sub 6.
I’ve been in the sport for a few years and even though I’ve improved the sub 5 has been elusive. I’m giving it a go in 8 weeks at Galveston. I am currently training 13-15 hours a week (~900tss/wk) for it and it’s not all z2. Tower26 for swim which is rough, mid volume TR plague and 35-40 mph running BarryP style with sprinkles of intensity. If you could have me do it in 5 hours a week I would seriously hire you right on the spot and you name your price (reasonably).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had my VO2 max tested in college as part of an academic study, I forget the VO2 max number but it was in 99% percentile so I know I have a big aerobic engine.

Plenty of good posts on emotional intelligence in this thread. I'll leave that side of this alone.

But I think the training challenge here is equally interesting. You seem like an intelligent guy, so reframe the challenge to optimizing your performance out of 8 or 9 hours a week. You should be able to fit that load around your life.

Assuming you were VO2 tested in the low 60s in your early 20s, you should still reasonably be be able to break 3hours off of a base like 20 miles a week, building a bit, and a well-rounded SBR program of like 8 hours total-- even with your durability challenges. If you cant, something is out of balance and you aren't getting the stimuli right. No reason you couldn't go 4:30/4:40 in a HIM off of that type of program, either. That's my N=1 at 8 hours a week, with a lower VO2 max.

You'll just have to use the bike for most of your top end and interval work and be careful not to overdo the running intensity. I cant push my run intervals, or my achilles falls apart. So focus on run durability is key.
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Feb 16, 19 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're training 13hrs/wk with Tower26 swim program, Trainerroad midvol plan (hard!), and 35-40mpw run, I'd say sub 5 is definitely coming your way sooner rather than later - that's some legit training!
Quote Reply

Prev Next