Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope so. Cramps are my kryptonite.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chipping in with a view about the claim that 1 in 5 men aged 45 have potential to run sub38 for 10km.

Sounds right.

Im one - 37.55 at last race, which was a PB

I'm nothing special and never win races or even m45+ prize. So it seems likely to me that there are plenty of other 45 year old men out there who could run 38 mins if they focused and trained.

I had been running races for 25+ years, but got a new lease of life from the combination of Strava and a new Garmin watch with pace & km splits. Run 5 or 6 times per week for 60-80 km at an average pace of 4.30 per km

My training buddy is 49 and can run sub 35. He does win the M40+ prize quite often and is looking forward to turning 50 so he can dominate the dojo.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Right on the money! I wish I could go sub 5 on 5 hours nut if I did that I’m not sure I would go sub 6.
I’ve been in the sport for a few years and even though I’ve improved the sub 5 has been elusive. I’m giving it a go in 8 weeks at Galveston. I am currently training 13-15 hours a week (~900tss/wk) for it and it’s not all z2. Tower26 for swim which is rough, mid volume TR plague and 35-40 mph running BarryP style with sprinkles of intensity. If you could have me do it in 5 hours a week I would seriously hire you right on the spot and you name your price (reasonably).

Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont know if that is the best approach....and again this is for HIM only!

I tell her that I will be MIA for 3 months. 3 Months of training, not a lot of alcohol and very few social things.

After this base I do my A race and kind of let go of all the crazy schedule and try to keep fit for the remaining of the Season! So by the time I start again it has been 9 months since the last time and I have to say she kind of enjoy a break from me.

No kids so that makes everything a bit simpler.

But if Tri is starting to make my married harder I easily would drop it! Life is way more important that Kona or anything like that.

That's my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
Right on the money! I wish I could go sub 5 on 5 hours nut if I did that I’m not sure I would go sub 6.
I’ve been in the sport for a few years and even though I’ve improved the sub 5 has been elusive. I’m giving it a go in 8 weeks at Galveston. I am currently training 13-15 hours a week (~900tss/wk) for it and it’s not all z2. Tower26 for swim which is rough, mid volume TR plague and 35-40 mph running BarryP style with sprinkles of intensity. If you could have me do it in 5 hours a week I would seriously hire you right on the spot and you name your price (reasonably).

Dude, chill with the generalizations. I spent my teens, 20’s and 30’s studying and working while you were running or swimming or whatever. It’s easy to say “work smarter” when you have the talent for it. There are a lot of thing that you would have to work much harder than me at because of talent difference. I don’t know you so this is no know knock on you but I’m pretty sure somethings come much more naturally to me than you.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
During some pillow talk before bed last night, my wife asked me: "Do you think there will ever be a time when our life doesn't revolve around your crazy workout schedule?"

I was kind of caught off-guard. I didn't really know how to answer. My wife is super accommodating to my training, considering I'm not a pro. She supports my aspirations to do Ultraman and RAAM. I think part of why she loves me and married me was because I strive for excellence. But if I'm honest with myself, it is a bit selfish to peruse these goals, especially now that we have a son. I want to continue to progress as an athlete. But I don't want my entire family's life to revolve around my personal athletic goals.

For those of who have managed to stick with triathlon and compete at a high level for a long time despite family and work obligations (I've long since abandoned social obligations), how do you manage? I considered maybe taking a year or two as a single sport athlete (cycling, which is my limiter) with perhaps just minimal running when traveling without a bike, but I don't want to abandon my quest for a 3hr marathon (especially since I'm getting close) nor stop swimming (my strength).

It's just tough.....

"Do you think there will ever be a time when our life doesn't revolve around your crazy workout schedule?

She is saying is there a time when you will think I will be more value and more relevant then your workout schedule.

also note

she said crazy!!!! ( she thinks you are not acting in a normal behaviour pattern anymore. )

workout schedule ( workout, not training) WHY, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO THE OLYMPICS and she is aware of this.

Training is towards a single goal with a positive outcome working out is just a consumption of time to avoid others or real issues that are being overlooked ( addiction). Just like in other additive situations.

e.g. someone training properly has down periods and up periods where family and friends and other hobbies fill up time in the down periods.

working out is like hitting the tree with the wrong end of the axe. They watch you swing for 4 hours on the bike and then listen to you complain about how hard it was even though all that effort didn't yield a results great enough for the time and effort. ( but you do it again anyways)
Therefore if x is > y. X being time and effort and Y being results they see it's about being mentally away from them not in pursuit of a goal.

I don't know you but hope you make a honest choice towards your happiness and hers but the writing is on the wall now.

SHE HAS HAD ENOUGH!!! she is telling your time,effort, lack of focus to the family unit vs results is not aligned and although you say it's when the kids are sleeps etc. She knows your free time goes to you and workouts not her..... Rather be punched with the truth then kissed with a lie.

AS I coach/ ex-pro of endurance athletes. I see this a lot. Both is cycling, running and tri. It's hard too be good at everything and chase three or four chickens at once. Also remember by Wednesday no one carries how your race when on the weekend. But your family and friends will care about what you are up to next weekend and if you want to come over. They also don't care about your personal best FTP when you had 10 lbs of extra winter wt on.

Side note if you get a sub 3 hr marathon you will just go for a sub 2:50 marathon same life different goal. Likely you will get worse even in pursuit of this goal being more difficult.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the metaphors:

Hitting a tree with the wrong end of the ax

Better punched with the truth, than kissed with a lie

Chasing three chickens at once

:)
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
wintershade wrote:
During some pillow talk before bed last night, my wife asked me: "Do you think there will ever be a time when our life doesn't revolve around your crazy workout schedule?"

I was kind of caught off-guard. I didn't really know how to answer. My wife is super accommodating to my training, considering I'm not a pro. She supports my aspirations to do Ultraman and RAAM. I think part of why she loves me and married me was because I strive for excellence. But if I'm honest with myself, it is a bit selfish to peruse these goals, especially now that we have a son. I want to continue to progress as an athlete. But I don't want my entire family's life to revolve around my personal athletic goals.

For those of who have managed to stick with triathlon and compete at a high level for a long time despite family and work obligations (I've long since abandoned social obligations), how do you manage? I considered maybe taking a year or two as a single sport athlete (cycling, which is my limiter) with perhaps just minimal running when traveling without a bike, but I don't want to abandon my quest for a 3hr marathon (especially since I'm getting close) nor stop swimming (my strength).

It's just tough.....

"Do you think there will ever be a time when our life doesn't revolve around your crazy workout schedule?

She is saying is there a time when you will think I will be more value and more relevant then your workout schedule.

also note

she said crazy!!!! ( she thinks you are not acting in a normal behaviour pattern anymore. )

workout schedule ( workout, not training) WHY, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO THE OLYMPICS and she is aware of this.

Training is towards a single goal with a positive outcome working out is just a consumption of time to avoid others or real issues that are being overlooked ( addiction). Just like in other additive situations.

e.g. someone training properly has down periods and up periods where family and friends and other hobbies fill up time in the down periods.

working out is like hitting the tree with the wrong end of the axe. They watch you swing for 4 hours on the bike and then listen to you complain about how hard it was even though all that effort didn't yield a results great enough for the time and effort. ( but you do it again anyways)
Therefore if x is > y. X being time and effort and Y being results they see it's about being mentally away from them not in pursuit of a goal.

I don't know you but hope you make a honest choice towards your happiness and hers but the writing is on the wall now.

SHE HAS HAD ENOUGH!!! she is telling your time,effort, lack of focus to the family unit vs results is not aligned and although you say it's when the kids are sleeps etc. She knows your free time goes to you and workouts not her..... Rather be punched with the truth then kissed with a lie.

AS I coach/ ex-pro of endurance athletes. I see this a lot. Both is cycling, running and tri. It's hard too be good at everything and chase three or four chickens at once. Also remember by Wednesday no one carries how your race when on the weekend. But your family and friends will care about what you are up to next weekend and if you want to come over. They also don't care about your personal best FTP when you had 10 lbs of extra winter wt on.

Side note if you get a sub 3 hr marathon you will just go for a sub 2:50 marathon same life different goal. Likely you will get worse even in pursuit of this goal being more difficult.

Man.....that's pretty harsh!

Nevertheless true! I`m as well scared of this possible situation some times. Triathlon is an awesome sport, that keep us in shape and in good health...but it is still a hobby!!!!!

We always have to remember that! Running a 3h20 Marathon is wayyyyy cheaper than pay alimony! Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are reading all the posts on this....too late.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I decided this year to have all my week training during the morning before going to work. I ask her 2 hours in morning on saturday and 3 hours on Sunday.

Now, my wife can propose me any activities during the week and i'm free. Also, if I miss a workout, it's totally because of me.

Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
wintershade wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
Not much fun doing this sport with no one to celebrate with.
Right on man.

Some good advice here. Keep it flowing.......

My plan this year was to take a year off IM and do two 70.3s and two Olympic races with a goal of getting faster (sub 5hrs at both 70.3s), with the official plan being an IM next year. But I kind wanted to keep some big riding in there to do a couple century rides mid-season. Sounds like an easy place to start is nix those, maybe do metric centuries instead.

Sub 5 hrs at a 70.3 should not require more than ~5 hrs training per week. If you need more, you’re doing it wrong.
What a ridiculous comment.
Time spent training is NOT the primary indicator of performance but low volume will make it far harder to achieve faster times for most people. Actual achievable time depends mostly on background, natural ability, recent training volume, training quality, and specific race route and conditions. Any one of those will have a major impact.
I would hazard a guess that there are very few people who can complete a correct distance 70.3 race in <5 hours on 5 hours good training a week unless they're pretty talented and/or had previously been capable of that before dropping volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wintershade, I highly recommend reading Conrad Goeringer's book, The Working Triathlete. It's on Amazon and it's amazing. It could save your marriage!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I did not get my workouts in i would be miserable, if I where miserable that would have a negative affect on my marriage. I did recently change my work structure to reduce the hours I was working and reduce work stress thus allowing me to workout more.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: Toothengineer: Feb 20, 19 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
I did recently change my work structure to reduce the hours I was working and reduce work stress thus allowing me to workout more.

Lucky you

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
If I did not get my workouts in i would be misserable, if I where misserable that would have a negative affect on my marriage....

That, potentially, is a very convenient rationale to facilitate self indulgence.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Feb 20, 19 5:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I did not get my workouts in i would be misserable, if I where misserable that would have a negative affect on my marriage.
---

Sure, and if you have an excellent spouse, they'd recognize this and encourage it. However, this is not an unlimited quantity. There's a balance between getting in some workouts to maintain your sanity and being gone so long that you cannot maintain your marriage.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
If I did not get my workouts in i would be miserable, if I where miserable that would have a negative affect on my marriage.
---

Sure, and if you have an excellent spouse, they'd recognize this and encourage it. However, this is not an unlimited quantity. There's a balance between getting in some workouts to maintain your sanity and being gone so long that you cannot maintain your marriage.

I agree with this 100%. Always like everything has to be a balance. My wife likes her alone time as well; so her getting to wake up late on a Saturday drink coffee with just her and the dogs while I train till 2pm works in our life well. Before triathlon I would be gone surfing all day long so in our little relationship bubble it works.

If my wife woke one morning and said what the OP wife said; man I dont what I would do..... I would feel similar I imagine.

One thing is I try when I can to incorporate my wife into my workout life, if I have a 10 mile run a lot of time I will do it in the gym and get her to come to the gym as well to workout we set a time limit as to how long we will be at the gym and it helps motivate us both.

Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
If I did not get my workouts in i would be misserable, if I where misserable that would have a negative affect on my marriage....

That, potentially, is a very convenient rationale to facilitate self indulgence.

Common I cant be the only one here that if I dont get my workouts in I am super cranky. My wife basically says I am like a dog that's hyper active. I am more effective in my daily life if I am excising. I cant be the only one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Common I cant be the only one here that if I dont get my workouts in I am super cranky. My wife basically says I am like a dog that's hyper active. I am more effective in my daily life if I am excising. I cant be the only one.
I said potentially. Wasn't saying it's bit true.
At the same time, I reckon it's a short term effect of missed training. If you become used to less training, I think you won't suffer withdrawal. So I don't think it's a legit reason you must keep training at high volumes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to put words in someone else's mouth but I read it as working out, not training for an Ironman. I could be wrong though. I get cranky and my wife does push me to workout sometimes too. But there is a massive difference between doing a swim/bike/run for an hour a day and training for an Ironman.

I want to do another Ironman this year but I am trying to figure out how I am going to be able to get enough time to train 18-20 hours while still being a good husband and father. Now if it was just me and my wife things would be a lot easier but having my daughter makes this more difficult and I also seem to have a little less motivation to go out on a 5-6 hour bike ride. Everyone has their priorities but when training takes priority over being a good husband/father that is when something isn't right.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
I can't be the only one here that if I don't get my workouts in I am super cranky. My wife basically says I am like a dog that's hyper active. I am more effective in my daily life if I am excising. I can't be the only one.

It usually takes me a couple days of missed training before Endorphin Withdrawal sets in, and I start acting like a dick

Then, she'll basically order me to run or ride or do something to "take my meds"

YMMV

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

At the same time, I reckon it's a short term effect of missed training. If you become used to less training, I think you won't suffer withdrawal. So I don't think it's a legit reason you must keep training at high volumes.

I will respectfully disagree. I tend to find I need a bare min of 8-10 hours a week in my life to feel "normal".... at 12-14 I feel that optimal... weeks of 17-22 hours.

To the OP I like the idea of maybe backing off all 3 sports. If you had to be time effective the choice has to be running. You can spend 5-6 hours a week running and get great run fitness. while spending another 1 hour a week swimming. Fit biking in if there is extra time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

I will respectfully disagree. I tend to find I need a bare min of 8-10 hours a week in my life to feel "normal".... at 12-14 I feel that optimal... weeks of 17-22 hours.

To the OP I like the idea of maybe backing off all 3 sports. If you had to be time effective the choice has to be running. You can spend 5-6 hours a week running and get great run fitness. while spending another 1 hour a week swimming. Fit biking in if there is extra time.
When's the last time you have NOT trained for a prolonged period?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

When's the last time you have NOT trained for a prolonged period?

Who on this forum really doesn't? I would be very surprised to find that more than a vast minority don't do something physical almost, if not, every day. Even when I'm not "training" I'm on the bike for 60 minutes on the trainer or running 4 or 5 miles in the morning to start my day. Not doing something at least daily sounds like hell.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep Ironman from consuming your life [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh-oh

Sounds like another addiction thread might be popping up soon

Quote Reply

Prev Next