Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude?
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of going 2 weeks early or 3 weeks if I could pull it. It is my first 140.6. Race is June 9. Thinking of doing my final training there and to arrive no later than May 25.

How early do you go to a race with altitude? I don't have any training equipment like an altitude tent at home, so looking to just acclimate there.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can swing 2 to 3 weeks, why not. I went 2 days before the race and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Didn't feel the altitude at all until the run and at that point the heat was worse than air density.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify that by "as bad as I expected" refers to the altitude's effect on my performance. It wasn't a comfortable run by any means but I was still able to be a couple minutes from my PR at the time.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Jan 4, 19 3:05
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
If you can swing 2 to 3 weeks, why not. I went 2 days before the race and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Didn't feel the altitude at all until the run and at that point the heat was worse than air density.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify that by "as bad as I expected" refers to the altitude's effect on my performance. It wasn't a comfortable run by any means but I was still able to be a couple minutes from my PR at the time.


Oh ok cool.

Yeah I'm definitely thinking about going at least 2 weeks early to make it a kind of a vacation. I'm thinking of going to Frisco first and then possibly Blackhawk. I could go to Boulder the whole time, but think if I go higher first, I might be stronger at Boulder altitude.

Frisco is 9,097ft and Blackhawk is 8,537ft.


I'm just familiar with Frisco as I've been there a couple of times. They have a dispensary there that I like with Kaviar Sativa joints, which are my favorite (don't worry, they are plant based). And a Whole Foods in Frisco (yum!). I play poker too so I could chill out at Blackhawk and train and play some small tourneys there before the race.

Then head to Boulder for the last week or so.

Not sure yet - but appreciate the feedback. I'm not looking to shatter any records here. Just to have fun, be prepared, and be poised for a good effort and to have fun.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Jan 4, 19 3:37
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
I was thinking of going 2 weeks early or 3 weeks if I could pull it. It is my first 140.6. Race is June 9. Thinking of doing my final training there and to arrive no later than May 25.

How early do you go to a race with altitude? I don't have any training equipment like an altitude tent at home, so looking to just acclimate there.

Better off arriving 2 or 3 years before, not 2 or 3 weeks.

You can't really "adjust" to the altitude in any reasonable amount of time. True adaptation involves long periods of time at altitude. You can get used to it to some degree over a few days. But you are not going to be able to gain any actual adaptation.
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two weeks is the worst possible time to arrive.

You need to arrive as late as possible

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue if there are any low elevation areas reasonably near Boulder, but I believe if you were to spent a couple weeks at altitude then get back to sea level for a couple days, then go back and race, that might be ideal - I'm pretty sure that's how climbers acclimate in the Himalayas...up a bit, then back down...up a bit higher, then back down, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Two weeks is the worst possible time to arrive.

You need to arrive as late as possible

^^^---This. We go to Loveland/FtC every year to visit my daughter's family. I have my best performances during the first couple of days...and then it begins to degrade after that for the balance of the 10 day trips. Honestly, the run is about the same as home (Dallas), bike I see a significant uptick, and swimming sucks balls.

Last year I set several bike power PRs at various durations up through 60m power, on my first ride in the foothills. Man I felt strong that day.
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Just went to Colorado for vacation. I live much lower (like 3000 ft) and went up to 9500. XC skiing felt pretty decent at 10K for the first 2-3 days, then shit got ugly. The longer I was there, the more I felt the altitude,. I would arrive no more than 3 days before.
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gone to Colorado for a few events over the last few years.

For the Mt Evans Hill climb I usually go about 5 days before the event. Ride every day i'm there. I usually stay with a friend near boulder and gradually work my way to higher altitude. Day after I flt in we may ride to an elevation of around 8K feet. The next day may e 9-10K,and the day after that a little higher. Coming from sea level thats not enough to fully adapt, but during the hill climb I felt fine riding up to 14K.

One guy I rode with this year flew in the day before the hill climb and said it was much harder than the previous year when he came out a week before. Next time he will be coming out earlier.

For 106 west which was a 70.3 in Dillon which is around the lake from Frisco I think I went out about 1.5 weeks before. I spent a few days in denver, a few in Boulder, and a couple in Dillon before the race. The swim was probably one of the hardest I have ever done. The cold water temp plus altitude made for what felt like a long swim. My swim time wasnt too far off my previous 70.3 swim time. the bike felt good, and the run was hard.

I find swimming at altitude tough. I've swam a few times in boulder and I could feel the altitude effects immediately. My heart rate is elevated and im breathing fairly hard even at low intensities. Biking at altitude I find not that bad.

If you can go 2 weeks before that would probably be ok. You may not have enough time to fully adapt, but IMO its probably going to be better than getting there right before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Two weeks is the worst possible time to arrive.

You need to arrive as late as possible

Yep, I went to Colorado for a week in July, and never felt great the entire time. My running out there pretty much sucked the entire time.

I have a friend who was training for Leadville, he went out last year for like 3 months. Not sure that it really did him that much good.
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Two weeks is the worst possible time to arrive.

You need to arrive as late as possible

I’ve blamed all of the issues I’ve had with leg cramps and such even visiting my wife’s family in Sedona to altitude as well. Feel good training for a few days then no matter how much I hydrate after a few days my legs just give out on me. Sucks big time!

My Blog - Twitter - Instagram - JonnyO Coaching - ICE Friction - SLF Motion - Own Way Apparel -
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
plant_based wrote:
I was thinking of going 2 weeks early or 3 weeks if I could pull it. It is my first 140.6. Race is June 9. Thinking of doing my final training there and to arrive no later than May 25.

How early do you go to a race with altitude? I don't have any training equipment like an altitude tent at home, so looking to just acclimate there.


Better off arriving 2 or 3 years before, not 2 or 3 weeks.

You can't really "adjust" to the altitude in any reasonable amount of time. True adaptation involves long periods of time at altitude. You can get used to it to some degree over a few days. But you are not going to be able to gain any actual adaptation.


Thank you for saying that and making me feel normal. I've lived here for a few years and I still find that I can't hit the numbers that I used to hit at sea level. When I travel for extended periods I feel like it takes 1 weeks just to get back to normal.

Ironman Boulder is an awesome race, but I'm not sure if I'll ever race it. The altitude is real and the heat the past few years has been record breaking. If you want to see the struggle bus, look up the video of Sam Long who was running in third and he laid down in Boulder Creek for a solid minute or so to cool down. It's a tough race, there's a reason the run times have never been that flashy.

I also hope they adjust the bike course, that thing last year was just a gauntlet of doom. The course designers essentially picked the longest slogs throughout Boulder and had participants do it twice. Best of luck to all racers, it's a tough one.

Team Zoot 2019
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go listen to Flo Cycling's Faster podcast and their latest episode where they have Robert Chapman break all of this down in detail.

https://soundcloud.com/...and-race-at-altitude
Last edited by: mbecks2: Jan 4, 19 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have raced IM Boulder in 2015 when it was in August and the half in 2011, 2017 and 2018.

You would need a long period of time before true adaptation occurred to affect your race performance. Maybe 3 weeks would give you some adjustment, but after those 4 races and coaching several more athletes for that race, of which one was in full FF gear for the run, the biggest key is not just the altitude. Yes, it will rob you of some oxygen for use, but what will get you is dehydration. Sweat evaporates so fast and you don't notice it like you do in humid areas, that you can get in a hole FAST. No amount of coming early can really get you past that. Focus on hydration leading up to and on race day.

I've had crappy races and I've had breakthrough races in Boulder. For all of them I was out there maybe 2 to 3 days before. The only factor was how I approached hydration as all the races were in August. Not nearly as hot as Boulder 2018 in the heat btw.

Here's a vid of my FF athlete talking about her experience.

https://www.facebook.com/...os/1910853252269841/

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
https://setthepacetriathlon.com/offseason2019b - sign up for my off season webinar
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Research says at least 2 weeks otherwise go there like you would for any other race.
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:
Go listen to Flo Cycling's Faster podcast and their latest episode where they have Robert Chapman break all of this down in detail.

https://soundcloud.com/...and-race-at-altitude

Thanks. This helped a lot.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
I have raced IM Boulder in 2015 when it was in August and the half in 2011, 2017 and 2018.

You would need a long period of time before true adaptation occurred to affect your race performance. Maybe 3 weeks would give you some adjustment, but after those 4 races and coaching several more athletes for that race, of which one was in full FF gear for the run, the biggest key is not just the altitude. Yes, it will rob you of some oxygen for use, but what will get you is dehydration. Sweat evaporates so fast and you don't notice it like you do in humid areas, that you can get in a hole FAST. No amount of coming early can really get you past that. Focus on hydration leading up to and on race day.

I've had crappy races and I've had breakthrough races in Boulder. For all of them I was out there maybe 2 to 3 days before. The only factor was how I approached hydration as all the races were in August. Not nearly as hot as Boulder 2018 in the heat btw.

Here's a vid of my FF athlete talking about her experience.

https://www.facebook.com/...os/1910853252269841/


Yeah - I’m all about hydration, especially the first couple days at altitude.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Two weeks is the worst possible time to arrive.

You need to arrive as late as possible

You seem so sure of yourself - haha

ahhh man I should have never left slowtwitch ... very entertaining

I did break the 100% plant based diet though - gotta eat those double bacon cheeseburgers :P

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [Mgibo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mgibo wrote:
Research says at least 2 weeks otherwise go there like you would for any other race.

Thanks - yeah I think the PulseOx on my watch will help to give me an idea.

I brought it to CO a few months ago and saw what looked like an adapation over the first few days.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:


Ironman Boulder is an awesome race, but I'm not sure if I'll ever race it. The altitude is real and the heat the past few years has been record breaking. If you want to see the struggle bus, look up the video of Sam Long who was running in third and he laid down in Boulder Creek for a solid minute or so to cool down. It's a tough race, there's a reason the run times have never been that flashy.

I also hope they adjust the bike course, that thing last year was just a gauntlet of doom. The course designers essentially picked the longest slogs throughout Boulder and had participants do it twice. Best of luck to all racers, it's a tough one.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah that is about what I was looking for. Was worried it might be too easy with such little elevation gain on the bike.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
If you can swing 2 to 3 weeks, why not. I went 2 days before the race and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Didn't feel the altitude at all until the run and at that point the heat was worse than air density.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify that by "as bad as I expected" refers to the altitude's effect on my performance. It wasn't a comfortable run by any means but I was still able to be a couple minutes from my PR at the time.


Oh ok cool.

Yeah I'm definitely thinking about going at least 2 weeks early to make it a kind of a vacation. I'm thinking of going to Frisco first and then possibly Blackhawk. I could go to Boulder the whole time, but think if I go higher first, I might be stronger at Boulder altitude.

Frisco is 9,097ft and Blackhawk is 8,537ft.


I'm just familiar with Frisco as I've been there a couple of times. They have a dispensary there that I like with Kaviar Sativa joints, which are my favorite (don't worry, they are plant based). And a Whole Foods in Frisco (yum!). I play poker too so I could chill out at Blackhawk and train and play some small tourneys there before the race.

Then head to Boulder for the last week or so.

Not sure yet - but appreciate the feedback. I'm not looking to shatter any records here. Just to have fun, be prepared, and be poised for a good effort and to have fun.


Frisco is too high if your body isn't used to the altitude. Try to find something at or just below 8,000 ft.

I would suggest either 3-4 weeks early or show up just before game time. 3-4 would be best if your lifestyle can swing it. 2 weeks puts you in the danger zone for maximum suck.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Jan 4, 19 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be my guest... show up two weeks early

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came out last year 7 days early. I don't know if it helped with getting more acclimated to the elevation or not, but it didn't hurt. If nothing else, it gave me plenty of time to get comfortable with the bike course and also the run course while doing some OWS is the Res. I was probably most worried about the altitude and the swim, but as long as I started out easy and just focused on my breathing, it went well. I'd probably do the same thing if I were to sign back up (which I probably will) but again, I have no idea if actually helped me. Friggen triple digits on the bike course hurt more then any altitude did last year. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
If you can swing 2 to 3 weeks, why not. I went 2 days before the race and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Didn't feel the altitude at all until the run and at that point the heat was worse than air density.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify that by "as bad as I expected" refers to the altitude's effect on my performance. It wasn't a comfortable run by any means but I was still able to be a couple minutes from my PR at the time.


Oh ok cool.

Yeah I'm definitely thinking about going at least 2 weeks early to make it a kind of a vacation. I'm thinking of going to Frisco first and then possibly Blackhawk. I could go to Boulder the whole time, but think if I go higher first, I might be stronger at Boulder altitude.

Frisco is 9,097ft and Blackhawk is 8,537ft.


I'm just familiar with Frisco as I've been there a couple of times. They have a dispensary there that I like with Kaviar Sativa joints, which are my favorite (don't worry, they are plant based). And a Whole Foods in Frisco (yum!). I play poker too so I could chill out at Blackhawk and train and play some small tourneys there before the race.

Then head to Boulder for the last week or so.

Not sure yet - but appreciate the feedback. I'm not looking to shatter any records here. Just to have fun, be prepared, and be poised for a good effort and to have fun.

A local here. If you are coming early (3+ weeks) and want to go higher, rent a place in Nederland. 25 mins outside boulder and 8200ft. You can easily get to boulder for food and fun, but you a little higher up with great places to train. But make sure you are here at least 3 weeks ahead of time otherwise you'll just be really tired on race day. Good luck and see ya at the start line.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Re: How early to arrive for Boulder 140.6 to adjust to altitude? [abbottj123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done IM Boulder twice, and came from sea-level (48 feet above sea-level to be exact). I arrived on Thursday of race week, and had no problems in being race ready. Drink lots of fluid, and do a very light run and bike on Friday. To be clear though, I did live in Ft. Collins for 5 years for college years ago, so I knew what to expect when going from sea-level to mile high.

Team Zoot-Texas, AltRED, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply

Prev Next