Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
Bryce, thanks for the previous help. June 4th I start the Specialty phase, just 8 weeks from my target 70.3. Looking at the options, I see a pretty dramatic jump from the mid-volume to the high, on the Sunday rides. Yesterday I rode 2:15, so I’m able to ramp up to the longer if that’s best, but it’s a bit of a stretch. My estimated ride pace for the race is right at 20mph, so I’m not sure how much over 3 hours I should ride. However, as soon as this is done, I’m switching the the Full Distance plan to prep for Cozumel. Suck it up and do the high mileage specialty plan?

Hey again!

One point I'd like to make really clear is that choosing a plan volume is not a matter of "Rule #5", but rather it is important to choose the plan with the appropriate amount of stress for your current fitness, lifestyle, stress levels etc. As you move up to higher volume plans, the recovery becomes an even more crucial part of your training since you are pushing your body closer to its physcialy limits. And for some people, the high volume plans will push them beyond their physical limits, which will come as a detriment to their training rather than a benefit. A higher volume plan does not always equal a faster performance on race day.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that you do not need to be training at your target event's distance or duration in order to perform your best at that distance/duration. To learn more about this concept, check out this article from our Blog:
http://blog.trainerroad.com/ive-never-done-my-full-race-distance-will-i-be-ready-for-my-event/

So the question really comes down to this: are you feeling challenged by the Mid-Volume Plan? If the answer is yes, then stick to the mid-volume consistently and you will see improvements. If the answer is no, the Mid-Volume is too easy, then giving the High Volume Plan a try could bring about greater fitness improvements :)

I hope that makes sense, let me know if you'd like me to clarify anything!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: ERG mode on hammer [pgp128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pgp128 wrote:
Hi Nate, question for you, as I know you use the cycleops hammer as well. The past couple of rides I've done I've had some funkiness with the resistance during intervals (for me, sweet spot in the 240-260w range), where it seems like erg mode is trying to keep me around 84 rpm for cadence, where i can feel a noticable increase in resistance when I try to keep my cadence in my usual upper 80-low 90 range. Does this sound like it could a result of software control or possible a hardware thing? Figured I'd ask in case you have experienced yourself. (And this is via bluetooth with the ios app on ipad) I'll be happy to email you any additional details or put this for support to document, thanks!

Hey there Pgp!

The first troubleshooting step I would take here would be to check for firmware updates with CycleOps. If you are on the latest version of the firmware, go ahead and reach out to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com. They will be able to dig into the log files from your applicable rides and give an informed analysis of what could be causing the issue, and if there is anything we can do to prevent it :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
23 weeks out [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I recently did an Olympic race a week ago and finished both the High Volume Olympic Base and Build phases as a prep for that. I got some questions about the Olympic Triathlon plan in TR. I'm planning to do another Olympic race on the 21st of October which is 23 weeks out from today. My first question is what would be the best option if the whole Olympic Triathlon plan is only 20 weeks long? Should I lengthen the Base, Build, or Specialty phase? Or would you recommend if I skip Base and do just the Build and Specialty phases?
Quote Reply
Re: ERG mode on hammer [pgp128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pgp128 wrote:
Hi Nate, question for you, as I know you use the cycleops hammer as well. The past couple of rides I've done I've had some funkiness with the resistance during intervals (for me, sweet spot in the 240-260w range), where it seems like erg mode is trying to keep me around 84 rpm for cadence, where i can feel a noticable increase in resistance when I try to keep my cadence in my usual upper 80-low 90 range. Does this sound like it could a result of software control or possible a hardware thing? Figured I'd ask in case you have experienced yourself. (And this is via bluetooth with the ios app on ipad) I'll be happy to email you any additional details or put this for support to document, thanks!

There's a few possibilities:

When you first increase your cadence you'll always get a bit of increased resistance on any erg trainer until it catches up with the cadence change.

I noticed that if I ride at below 100 RPM that it appears that the resistance is crazy high, even though my power meter reads the same power. I think that's just because I'm adapted to ride around 110 RPM. You could be adapted to ride around 84 and everything else might have a harder RPE.

I could also be an HW issue, but I can't think off the top of my head what it could be. I doubt it's a SW issue from us. We just tell ERG trainers to set it to "260" watts and it takes care of everything else.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: need to make my taper week a bit longer [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce & Coach Chad! I'll report back after July 29 :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

Hey again!

One point I'd like to make really clear is that choosing a plan volume is not a matter of "Rule #5", but rather it is important to choose the plan with the appropriate amount of stress for your current fitness, lifestyle, stress levels etc. As you move up to higher volume plans, the recovery becomes an even more crucial part of your training since you are pushing your body closer to its physcialy limits. And for some people, the high volume plans will push them beyond their physical limits, which will come as a detriment to their training rather than a benefit. A higher volume plan does not always equal a faster performance on race day.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that you do not need to be training at your target event's distance or duration in order to perform your best at that distance/duration. To learn more about this concept, check out this article from our Blog:
http://blog.trainerroad.com/ive-never-done-my-full-race-distance-will-i-be-ready-for-my-event/

So the question really comes down to this: are you feeling challenged by the Mid-Volume Plan? If the answer is yes, then stick to the mid-volume consistently and you will see improvements. If the answer is no, the Mid-Volume is too easy, then giving the High Volume Plan a try could bring about greater fitness improvements :)

I hope that makes sense, let me know if you'd like me to clarify anything!

That’s really helpful. When I did pure marathon training, I would shoot for 3 x 20milers, at a finish time of about 3 hours, since that was my race goal. That seems very different than what I’m seeing in these plans. I would have thought, for a 2:50 ride time goal, I would want to go for a few 48-50 milers that would take about that long. No? Instead, I’m seeing some 90-120 min at 85-90% FTP sessions in there.
I wasn’t clear how an athlete that would finish in 4 hours would use the same plan as one that may finish nearly twice as fast.
Back to my marathon comparison, an elite runner has no need to be able to run for 3 hours, but a newer athlete may need to train far more than that.
I do like planning by Time, instead of Distance, but I’m trying to find the Specialty Block that fits both my current fitness, and my goals. Both seem to have value: Mid-volume would help me develop more speed, but High-volume could give me a deeper base for the Fall Ironman.

Michael
Quote Reply
In season plan [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I am just looking for some guidance for what plan(s) you would recommend for my situation. I finished my first IM last year and designated this year as my fun racing year. I didn't have much structured training over the winter but just generally maintained my fitness (not to IM training level for sure). I ramped up leading up to April enough to complete a 100 mile gravel bike event (albeit painful ride). So that's where I am at fitness wise. I have sprint triathlons coming up in June, July, August. Would you recommend I just jump into a Sprint Specialty plan and keep repeating that plan over the coming months? My bigger event is near the end of September which is a two day gravel stage race, 75 mile per day. So I would want to ramp things up for that distance. Since this is my fun year I don't really have an A race but the 2 day gravel bike event would obviously require more training if I don't feel like suffering a bunch. It's possible I should just focus on training for the 2 day stage race as the sprint races are no issue to complete for me. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Darrell
Quote Reply
Question for Bryce [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I have been doing half iron mid volume plan. As you recommended Bec I started early I am basically doing the base twice. I just finished the first base and I have an Olympic distance race coming up at the end of week 3 of my 2nd Base phase. I want to do good in this race and be rested, how should I alter week 3 of Base in order to be primed for my race?

Thanks,

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:

That’s really helpful. When I did pure marathon training, I would shoot for 3 x 20milers, at a finish time of about 3 hours, since that was my race goal. That seems very different than what I’m seeing in these plans. I would have thought, for a 2:50 ride time goal, I would want to go for a few 48-50 milers that would take about that long. No? Instead, I’m seeing some 90-120 min at 85-90% FTP sessions in there.
I wasn’t clear how an athlete that would finish in 4 hours would use the same plan as one that may finish nearly twice as fast.
Back to my marathon comparison, an elite runner has no need to be able to run for 3 hours, but a newer athlete may need to train far more than that.
I do like planning by Time, instead of Distance, but I’m trying to find the Specialty Block that fits both my current fitness, and my goals. Both seem to have value: Mid-volume would help me develop more speed, but High-volume could give me a deeper base for the Fall Ironman.

Michael

With your bike training, it is a bit different than training for a marathon. For example, an athlete training for Dirty Kanza would not need to do a ride anywhere near the 12 hours it takes to complete that event. As mentioned in the article, "high-intensity interval training isolates specific energy systems to prompt specific physiological responses." What this means is that through the use of interval training, we are able to work your energy systems in a specific way to produce the same level of adaptation in less time.

While an elite athlete may complete a Half-Ironman bike leg in less time, his training will be largely similar to an athlete that took 30 minutes longer to complete the ride. The main difference here somes down to pacing. Since the elite athlete is on the bike for less time, he may perform at a slightly higher % of his FTP for the duration of the ride, however, the percentage difference is not nearly enough to move him into a different energy system. Both athletes will be working solidly in the Sweet Spot power zone for the duration of their ride, and as such, their ideal training progression will be very similar.

TL;DR: Emulating race day circumstances to validate equipment, nutrition and pacing strategies is always a good idea, but when it comes to developing the fitness needed to reach your goals with long events, simulating your chosen race distance at your desired pace is not the best way to train

So ultimately, the question of Mid vs High Volume comes down to how much training stress your body is able to handle along with the stress accrued through your daily life.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI Bryce,

Couple of silly, basic questions from a guy who's learning about this stuff.

after a few months listening to the guys on the podcast, (2 of whom have far better hair than I can ever hope to have), I'm probably gonna sign up for TR tonight. With 7 weeks to go before my first 70.3 in 10 years, what plan would you recommend? I've been doing 8-10 hours per week fairly consistently for the last few months (that's total training, SB&R)

If I run it on my phone (iOS 11) then is it possible to download workouts to the phone and run them offline? I'll be travelling the last 2 weeks of the race, staying at campgrounds, and wi-fi may or may not be good at the campsites.

Thanks
J.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
HI Bryce,

after a few months listening to the guys on the podcast, (2 of whom have far better hair than I can ever hope to have), I'm probably gonna sign up for TR tonight. With 7 weeks to go before my first 70.3 in 10 years, what plan would you recommend? I've been doing 8-10 hours per week fairly consistently for the last few months (that's total training, SB&R)

If I run it on my phone (iOS 11) then is it possible to download workouts to the phone and run them offline? I'll be travelling the last 2 weeks of the race, staying at campgrounds, and wi-fi may or may not be good at the campsites.

Thanks
J.

I can answer your 2nd question. TR can run offline. https://www.trainerroad.com/faq You can test it out on your iphone as well. just put on airplane mode and start a TR workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having issues installing with the software that is installed on my computer..any work arounds?
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
HI Bryce,

Thanks
J.

I can answer your 2nd question. TR can run offline. https://www.trainerroad.com/faq You can test it out on your iphone as well. just put on airplane mode and start a TR workout.

Yep. Only needs to log in 1x every 30 days (what it used to be).

Problem with the software ... need more info than that.
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
HI Bryce,

Thanks
J.

Hey J!

I'm so happy to hear that you're giving TrainerRoad a try!

As for as your ideal training plan, it sounds like you should have a sufficient base due to your consistent training for the past few months. As a result, your best option will be to jump into the Half Distance Build Plan. Choose the volume that you feel most closely resembles your current training load; you do not want to make a huge jump in training all at once. When you get to the week before your event, you should complete the Specialty Week 8 to allow yourself to taper your training before the event. This allows you to reduce your training stress while keeping your legs fresh and primed to race :)

And as mickison mentioned, all of your Workouts are saved locally, so you can train offline as much as as you want!

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions for me.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate111000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate111000 wrote:
I am having issues installing with the software that is installed on my computer..any work arounds?

Hey Nate!

Sorry you're having difficulties here. If you reach out to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com, they should be able to get everything sorted out for you :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I have been doing half iron mid volume plan. As you recommended Bec I started early I am basically doing the base twice. I just finished the first base and I have an Olympic distance race coming up at the end of week 3 of my 2nd Base phase. I want to do good in this race and be rested, how should I alter week 3 of Base in order to be primed for my race?

Thanks,

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Bryce [Kmck27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kmck27 wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Thanks,

Kyle

Hey Kyle!

Great question. For an event like this, it will likely not require a whole lot of adjustment since you shouldn't be carrying too much fatigue thoughout the Base Phase of your training. You will likely want to trim your workouts a bit leading up to the race, which will look different depending on if your race is on a Saturday or Sunday.

If it is on a Saturday, then cut down the Thursday and Friday workouts by replacing the Thursday workout with an endurance ride and the Friday workout with a pre-race workout like Scott Peak.

If it is on Sunday, then the Sweet Spot work on Friday should be fine to leave as is. Maybe cut it short by one interval if you are feeling a little overloaded. Then do a pre-race workout like Scott Peak on Saturday and you'll be ready to race on Sunday.

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
HI Bryce,

Thanks
J.

Hey J!

I'm so happy to hear that you're giving TrainerRoad a try!

As for as your ideal training plan, it sounds like you should have a sufficient base due to your consistent training for the past few months. As a result, your best option will be to jump into the Half Distance Build Plan. Choose the volume that you feel most closely resembles your current training load; you do not want to make a huge jump in training all at once. When you get to the week before your event, you should complete the Specialty Week 8 to allow yourself to taper your training before the event. This allows you to reduce your training stress while keeping your legs fresh and primed to race :)

And as mickison mentioned, all of your Workouts are saved locally, so you can train offline as much as as you want!

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions for me.

Did the 20min FTP test this morning. You guys are cruel, I hate you already.

;-)

I think I did a decently paced test. According to TR analytics I was at 190, 190, 193 and 193 for quarters 1-4, respectively. (using virtual power, so the numbers aren't accurate, but as long as they are precise enough for training purposes, that'll do) Had a bit of a spike at 12 - 13 mins as I shifted gears, but then dropped back to a sustainable gear and finished it OK.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Bryce [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did few outdoor rides which I assigned to my TR account and I'm bit confused about TSS in Mondays ride. What is the reason that IF, NP, TSS and elevation gain are different than in Garmin Connect. Sunday and Saturday rides TSS was almost the same.
Duration 2h5 min - Garmin 115TSS, TR 145TSS.

https://www.trainerroad.com/...4779559-evening-ride
https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/2716647634
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using the KK Inride (Just bought a road machine plus inride specifically for my new TR subscription), I do the spindown calibration. I am new to spindowns, so a couple of questions.

1. I did the first, it said calibrated at 1.83........... or something. I dont know what that means. Is there a target?
2. So I do a workout, then 5-10 minutes into the workout I just do a spindown to calibrate during the workout? Do I pause the workout or just make it part of the workout?
3. Anything else I need to know?

I did the FTP test with it and it set my ftp at 175. Im excited to start this structured training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question - first off I am new to TrainerRoad and Power, I absolutely love TR and it is fantastic!

My question is this;

I did a FTP test on Wednesday (5/23/18) and this was my 3rd time ever doing a FTP test (20min test). I did it on a dumb trainer (my wahoo was unavailable to be used this time) with my Garmin V3 power pedals (calibrated on TR before usage). I had a result that I was floored with as I just started my training and have been working really hard.

But my graph looked like this;

This is a indication that I really don't know how to FTP test right haha! With 5min to go I had plenty of steam left - however at the end of that 5 min I was cooked.

That netted me a 266 watt avg during the 20 min effort (not corrected by .95).

I then on 5/24/18 go and do a local group ride - I use the same bike and the same pedals and use my Garmin head unit (calibrated before ride) instead of my iPhone with TR - I sit on the front for 90% of the ride and at the end of the ride it notified me that I had a 20min AVG power of 275watt!!!!!!

Looked like this;

I am now lost as what to do - do I set my FTP higher as real world data shows it to be higher (this is right at 4% difference) or do I leave my TR alone. I will say I am not a great indoor trainer guy and try to ride 2/3 rides on the trainer as I find it controls my training better.

FWIW I just finished the Base Phase and Literally just started the Base phase!

Do I chalk it up to environment that gave me the results or maybe the calibration from the TR app to the Garmin unit could be 4% - just looking for some help and feed back!
Last edited by: teddygram: May 25, 18 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce.

A technical question today. I was doing Warlow last night (dumb trainer with a wahoo speed cadence sensor via iOS 11 on an iPhone 6, and doing the over-unders the power display was taking a long time to respond, close to 30 seconds. Power smoothing was not turned on. Battery on my phone was low (under 20%) but I finished the workout with 9% remaining.

Thoughts? Could that be a result of the power settings on my phone somehow? Or something else?

Either way, having such a long lag makes it difficult to hit targets, I was completely guessing.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

Quick question for you. Is our career page not available while we're no longer paid subscribers? I'm taking a break to enjoy this fantastic summer weather finally, but thought I'd still be able to access my old rides that I did when I was a paid subscriber. I can understand not getting access to workouts or plans when not paying, but I would have thought my careers page would always be available for me.

Thanks,
Luke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
HI Bryce,

Did the 20min FTP test this morning. You guys are cruel, I hate you already.

;-)

I think I did a decently paced test. According to TR analytics I was at 190, 190, 193 and 193 for quarters 1-4, respectively. (using virtual power, so the numbers aren't accurate, but as long as they are precise enough for training purposes, that'll do) Had a bit of a spike at 12 - 13 mins as I shifted gears, but then dropped back to a sustainable gear and finished it OK.

Hey again!

That sounds like your 20 minute test was paced perfectly, nice work!

As for the VirtualPower aspect, it's important to keep in mind that consistency and precision are the most important variables when training indoors. Even if your VirtualPower readings are not 100% representative of your outdoor power, you can still reap the benefits of training with power as long as you use the same trainer and VirtualPower curve for each workout. Doing so means your results will be comparable, and you'll be able to track your progress.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Bryce [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Hey Bryce,

Quick question for you. Is our career page not available while we're no longer paid subscribers? I'm taking a break to enjoy this fantastic summer weather finally, but thought I'd still be able to access my old rides that I did when I was a paid subscriber. I can understand not getting access to workouts or plans when not paying, but I would have thought my careers page would always be available for me.

Thanks,
Luke

Hey Luke,

Sadly, in order to have access to your profile and Past Rides page you need to have an active subscription.

One thing to note though, is that your TrainerRoad account now packs a much greater value during the summer riding season than it did when you suspended. This is due to the release of our newest feature-set that we call Performance Analytics. In case you're not aware of it, PA allows active members to import their outdoor rides into TrainerRoad alongside their indoor TR rides. This provides riders with easy-to-use tracking tools to analyze indoor/outdoor training stress, indoor/outdoor personal records, and analyze your current progress to your progress in past seasons. Check out this video for an overview of PA: https://www.trainerroad.com/...nalytics#modal-video

And we've added all this with no increase in the monthly subscription.

If you want to check out these new features, you can manage your account here: https://www.trainerroad.com/.../account-information

Cheers!

Quote Reply

Prev Next