Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:
MY 2nd gripe is to make the P1 paint available to do touch ups. As a matter of fact all paint. It would be really nice to be able to fix chips.
Thanks for listening

Touch up paint is a tough one, that paint actually has a shelf life of 2 hours before being unusable. We hate wasting paint and want to protect the environment. Great question though! What I have done for myself and suggested for others, is try to hit up your local automotive body shop paint supplier to have a direct match made. You'd be surprised how close they can get it!

Yeah this is something I wish was possible also. I still need to check with one of the auto-body shops near me, but I checked with NAPA that had a paint matching setup, and they couldn't even come close on the "Radioactive Pink" color that I have as part of my paint scheme.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

MY 2nd gripe is to make the P1 paint available to do touch ups. As a matter of fact all paint. It would be really nice to be able to fix chips.
Thanks for listening

Touch up paint is a tough one, that paint actually has a shelf life of 2 hours before being unusable. We hate wasting paint and want to protect the environment. Great question though! What I have done for myself and suggested for others, is try to hit up your local automotive body shop paint supplier to have a direct match made. You'd be surprised how close they can get it!

Yeah this is something I wish was possible also. I still need to check with one of the auto-body shops near me, but I checked with NAPA that had a paint matching setup, and they couldn't even come close on the "Radioactive Pink" color that I have as part of my paint scheme.

Radioactive is one of the hardest paints to match because it is thinner than most and non UV resistant so it can fade changing it's original color.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch,

Iā€™m getting ready to order a project one speed conceptā€”one of the colors is radioactive orange. Is that color likely to fade? Should I go with Rorange instead?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [TK17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TK17 wrote:
Mitch,

Iā€™m getting ready to order a project one speed conceptā€”one of the colors is radioactive orange. Is that color likely to fade? Should I go with Rorange instead?

Radioactive looks really cool, but it is more prone to fade over time. I'd say go for the Rorange!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When will Trek have the wavecell helmets independently tested? The Elsiver study on linked to was done by a co-inventer that has a financial stake. I'm not saying that makes the study invalid. I would just feel good about an independent study to confirm those results.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
When will Trek have the wavecell helmets independently tested? The Elsiver study on linked to was done by a co-inventer that has a financial stake. I'm not saying that makes the study invalid. I would just feel good about an independent study to confirm those results.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/...-helmet-ratings.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is interesting. Why does the Ballista MIPS score better than the XXX Wavecell? For the price difference I would expect the wavecell to be head and shoulders above the Ballista. (Don't get me wrong, it is cool that you've got the top three spots)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will trek be building an aero helmet with WaveCell?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:

For clarification, the study was published in "Accident Analysis and Prevention".

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Will trek be building an aero helmet with WaveCell?

Our XXX helmet is our current Wavecel aero helmet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
that is interesting. Why does the Ballista MIPS score better than the XXX Wavecell? For the price difference I would expect the wavecell to be head and shoulders above the Ballista. (Don't get me wrong, it is cool that you've got the top three spots)

I can't answer that as it would be a question for VT. But the XXX is heavier, but the head is well protected by Wavecel over MIPS

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...if that's the offering, that doesn't answer my question as I'm talking more TT than this.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea when we'll see these helmets in shops? I always like to try helmets on before I buy. Also, how does the XXX compare to the Ballista aerodynamically (with the usual caveats about helmet aero). Any chance we'll see a Ballista with WaveCell? It's honestly my favorite helmet. Fits my head perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Any idea when we'll see these helmets in shops? I always like to try helmets on before I buy. Also, how does the XXX compare to the Ballista aerodynamically (with the usual caveats about helmet aero). Any chance we'll see a Ballista with WaveCell? It's honestly my favorite helmet. Fits my head perfectly.

They are already in stores! Also, the Ballista is replaced by the XXX Wavecel so you can except a top performing aero helmet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:

Also the $300 WaveCell Blaze MTB helmet scores significantly worse than the $120 LG Raid MIPS (12.3 vs 13.2). Also the $75 Specialized Chamonix MIPS edges out the Blaze as well.

My enthusiasm is somewhat tempered. It would be good to get the raw data from VT to see where the differences were.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 19, 19 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anecdotally, I've known of more incidents where someone was seriously messed up or killed by a road incident than by a MTB incident. While MTB probably results in more minor to medium injuries (collar bones, elbows, and such) it's getting hit by a car that really terrifies me. A tree has never moved onto the trail in front of me because it was texting.

But your point is still relevant. Why aren't all the top spots occupied by wavecell helmets? What design choice put that non-wavecell helmet ahead and what would happen if wavecell was applied to that mystery design choice?

I mean... I'm still going to buy one... sooo....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Justicebeaver wrote:

I can't answer that as it would be a question for VT. But the XXX is heavier, but the head is well protected by Wavecel over MIPS

so the much anticipated new tech results in a helmet that is heavier and provides less protection?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch are you able to confirm what model Madones are made in the US?.is it all or just the project 1's?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Hey Mitch are you able to confirm what model Madones are made in the US?.is it all or just the project 1's?

None are made in the US for current year. But all Project Ones are prepped and painted and partially assembled here in the US!

Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
so the much anticipated new tech results in a helmet that is heavier and provides less protection?

The Ballista MIPS was a significant outlier in the pre-WaveCell results. And WaveCell is now 2 of the top 3. So the tech seems pretty legit (not talking about living up to hype, just quality tech).

I'm trying to sort out the differences between the two studies. They're very similar in some ways, but the way they estimate total protection is very different. The paper in Accident Analysis and Prevention (AAP) uses just total peak rotational velocity around a single axis (transverse). Virginia Tech used a much different metric based on summing the peak linear acceleration and peak *change* in rotational velocity (~rotational acceleration) across all axes and summed across each impact configuration. Virginia Tech uses angular rate sensors (aka gyros) for the rotational velocity. However, strangely, the AAP study appears to derive rotational velocity from integrating accelerometer data. This is strange to me since there are very good native angular rate sensors that give velocity directly, and I can't think of a reason why integrating data from 3 accelerometers would be preferable. Unless I'm completely mis-interpreting what they did.

The AAP paper chose a much narrowly defined (peak rotational velocity around the transverse axis) metric. VT looked more at a broader totality of linear and rotational accelerations. I have no idea which method is best.

But given that WaveCell looks pretty good in both methods, I'll certainly consider one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
They are already in stores! Also, the Ballista is replaced by the XXX Wavecel so you can except a top performing aero helmet!

I guess Iā€™ll be the first to just say show us the (aero) data. šŸ§ šŸ˜€

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Mar 19, 19 20:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

I realise you can't divulge any upcoming potential new bikes etc.

Can I ask however if you can confirm the launch date/month of the 2020 Trek bikes please?

I am of course referring to the speed concept, and as much as I'd like to see something radical suspect it would likely be in the form of a disc brake upgraded stiffness/lighter version similar to the new P5 updates.

So my question is are the 2020 bikes likely to be announced in Aug this year with a view to release in Q4 as per previous years?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey SlowTwitch - Trek Community Manager Here! [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

I guess Iā€™ll be the first to just say show us the (aero) data. šŸ§ šŸ˜€

That information I personally don't have available, but the shape is similar to our Ballista. The Ballista had plenty of third party testing!

Fazz wrote:
Hi Mitch,

I realise you can't divulge any upcoming potential new bikes etc.

Can I ask however if you can confirm the launch date/month of the 2020 Trek bikes please?

I am of course referring to the speed concept, and as much as I'd like to see something radical suspect it would likely be in the form of a disc brake upgraded stiffness/lighter version similar to the new P5 updates.

So my question is are the 2020 bikes likely to be announced in Aug this year with a view to release in Q4 as per previous years?

Thanks.

New bike launches generally are around June through September. So essentially all Summer long.

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Mar 20, 19 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch,

Is it possible for me to send an sc to trek to have it painted? Just wasnā€™t sure if this was a service trek offers.

Thanks.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next