Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find if I stand up a few times near the beginning and do a hard 30 sec then my HR tends to average a higher level for the same effort over the course of an hour ride. If I stay seated the whole hour my average hear rate will be lower. Once it's up it tend to stay a little higher over the course of an hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
After training and racing by feel for years, I agreed to use heart rate as a metric this year. I have only been monitoring for about one month.
I'm a 50 year old male. I can cruise along at 140-145 BPM for easily 30 minutes when running. On the trainer, even when pushing hard, I have trouble getting into the high 120s. This level of exertion isn't sustainable for more than 5-7 minutes. If I am doing longer set, same thing. Heart rate gets to about low to mid 120s. If I try to push harder to get it higher, I can't sustain the effort. As noted above, I don't have a power meter.
What is wrong with me?

50 yo and I can run about 140-145 bpm just like you and my Max heart rate is about 174. I have a Cycle Ops stationary bike and my Tri bike is on the trainer at home. I think it might have to do with your cadence. If your gear is too light, you will spin a lot, burn out quick and won't be able to sustain. Change gears around, make it a little heavier and do intervals as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I've done a lactate threshold test twice on a threadmill in a sportslab an once on the bike (last December). I'm a better biker than I am a runner if you'd compare my splits for each discipline, but I've been cycling for a shorter amount of time (2 years now) than I've been running. However I've managed the same max. HR during the ramp test on the bike as I had previously for running (all within 2-3 bpm), while I definitely went as hard as I possibly could until I could go no more for all tests. My aerobic and anaerobic threshold HRs differ but I guess that's "normal". My average and max. HR are within 5bpm if I compare a recent 10k running race at which I PB'ed with a 13.5k ITT.

What does this imply if you don't mind me asking? Since for everyone else this seems to not be the case here, although running at 145bpm indeed feels easier then riding at 145bpm. Sorry if the answer is kind off obvious haha
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
.....If you are on a regular trainer that just provides pure resistance then it's going give a feel similar to erg mode in terms of physiological demand. Think of the difference between doing 300 watts in a 53/11 going uphill compared to 300 watts in say a 34/28. Same power, but one completely shreds your legs.
I don't follow this. Can you clarify?
When you say "regular trainer" I'm, assuming you mean a non-smart trainer or "dumb trainer".
Your example then simply says there's a difference between high and low cadence. Correct?
Perhaps you're also implying a difference between flat outdoor riding, where you can easily unload part of the stroke versus climbing or using a trainer with low inertia where it's more necessary to drive the pedals around more of the stroke?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
After training and racing by feel for years, I agreed to use heart rate as a metric this year. I have only been monitoring for about one month.
I'm a 50 year old male. I can cruise along at 140-145 BPM for easily 30 minutes when running. On the trainer, even when pushing hard, I have trouble getting into the high 120s. This level of exertion isn't sustainable for more than 5-7 minutes. If I am doing longer set, same thing. Heart rate gets to about low to mid 120s. If I try to push harder to get it higher, I can't sustain the effort. As noted above, I don't have a power meter.
What is wrong with me?

There is nothing wrong with you. Running HR is normally higher than on the bike. I also have the same problem on the trainer. My HR is lower on avg on my trainer than the road for the same effort/power
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going against the grain here....while lower bike numbers are typical, the discrepancies you are showing seem VERY wide to me and seem to be far beyond the norm. You seem to be saying that a tempo run HR is 140-145 which may put higher intensity run intervals at a HR of 155-166...??, But that when you do high intensity bike trainer intervals, HR doesn't surpass 125ish....I don't know the reason why but a 30-40 BPM gap seems like a enormous gap to me. I would expect more like a 10-15 beat difference, although there will obviously be variation with people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This phenomenon is more common using wrist based optical HR... The watches tend to be less accurate when you're on the bike (my HR on my Garmin 935 tends to read low relative to RPE and Power on the trainer, compared to on the road).
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
My HR on the trainer is a lot lower than the same effort riding on the road. I always wondered if this was normal. I might cruise along on the trainer at 65% intensity with a HR around 112 BPM, but outside at that same intensity, I might be at 135 BPM. I just thought my heart rate was up outside because I was dodging cars and other stressors not present on the bike.

x2. Me too.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
So I've done a lactate threshold test twice on a threadmill in a sportslab an once on the bike (last December). I'm a better biker than I am a runner if you'd compare my splits for each discipline, but I've been cycling for a shorter amount of time (2 years now) than I've been running. However I've managed the same max. HR during the ramp test on the bike as I had previously for running (all within 2-3 bpm), while I definitely went as hard as I possibly could until I could go no more for all tests. My aerobic and anaerobic threshold HRs differ but I guess that's "normal". My average and max. HR are within 5bpm if I compare a recent 10k running race at which I PB'ed with a 13.5k ITT.

What does this imply if you don't mind me asking? Since for everyone else this seems to not be the case here, although running at 145bpm indeed feels easier then riding at 145bpm. Sorry if the answer is kind off obvious haha

Did any of the tests provide you with exhaled gas analysis (e.g., VO2 or RER)? And did they provide you with a max HR for both bike and run or are you using max HR from your races? Presuming that the max HRs are true maxes, and that they are quite close between the two disciplines, that means that the local training acclimations to cycling have been sufficient to take advantage of your heart's capacity to pump blood. So you're close to shifting the limiting performance variable (for cycling) from the local muscle environment to cardiac output. Those training acclimations include increased mitochondrial density, mitochondrial oxidative capacity, fiber type changes, enhanced metabolite clearance, increased vascular density, and a huge list of other potential factors.

Just a note on obtaining max HR: probably the most reliable way to achieve these would be VO2 max interval repeats of three to five minutes in duration with a minute or two rest in between. These are best-effort intervals and four or five of them should give you a pretty reliable max HR value. Please understand that max tests are very stressful and physically demanding so be sure that you're fit enough to participate. Just a disclaimer so I don't feel quite as bad if you keel over ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what's weird, I have the same issue... unless I'm riding on Zwift. I don't know what it is about the mental aspect, but my hr for a given perceived effort is more in line with outdoor than it would be just watching netflix or something. Honestly I think non-Zwift trainer riding just feels harder for a given true effort, because it is so god-awful monotonous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

Did any of the tests provide you with exhaled gas analysis (e.g., VO2 or RER)? And did they provide you with a max HR for both bike and run or are you using max HR from your races? Presuming that the max HRs are true maxes, and that they are quite close between the two disciplines, that means that the local training acclimations to cycling have been sufficient to take advantage of your heart's capacity to pump blood. So you're close to shifting the limiting performance variable (for cycling) from the local muscle environment to cardiac output. Those training acclimations include increased mitochondrial density, mitochondrial oxidative capacity, fiber type changes, enhanced metabolite clearance, increased vascular density, and a huge list of other potential factors.

Just a note on obtaining max HR: probably the most reliable way to achieve these would be VO2 max interval repeats of three to five minutes in duration with a minute or two rest in between. These are best-effort intervals and four or five of them should give you a pretty reliable max HR value. Please understand that max tests are very stressful and physically demanding so be sure that you're fit enough to participate. Just a disclaimer so I don't feel quite as bad if you keel over ;-)

Yes they did, RER was around 1.1-1.15 for all tests I've done. VO2max was 53 first run test (untrained, I went there when I wanted to start training for my first triathlon so I had an idea about my trainingzones), 57 the 2nd run test (partially due to losing weight) and 62 for the cycling test (which was done at another lab than the 2 run tests if that matters). Max. lactate was also a lot higher during the cycling test (>13mmol compared to +-10mmol for the 2 run tests). I assume these are very close to max. since they want you to go until you (think) you can go no further, which I did although in a race one might be able to push through a bit more.

Thanks for the reply!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:

The field test I read about has one doing an all out 1 minute effort after doing 3-4 3 minute efforts on incomplete rest intervals. That last all out effort will give me 3-4 beats more than the VO2 effort peaks. In running, doing 400's will have a higher hr peak than doing 800's for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
domingjm wrote:

The field test I read about has one doing an all out 1 minute effort after doing 3-4 3 minute efforts on incomplete rest intervals. That last all out effort will give me 3-4 beats more than the VO2 effort peaks. In running, doing 400's will have a higher hr peak than doing 800's for me.

I guess it just depends on what information you're trying to obtain and how you want to use it. A one-minute maximal effort is only about 50% aerobic; anaerobic metabolites of contraction are also a big stimulus for cardiac output. So if you're trying to assess your maximal heart rate under mostly aerobic conditions, a longer test is probably better if you're using this value to either prescribe or interpret your aerobic efforts. If you just want to know your heart's intrinsic maximal rate, use whatever test yields the highest value. But yeah, for my purposes, I just use the highest value that I've achieved during running, regardless of the duration. For me, that happens to be during full one-mile repeats.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't read all the comments, but I had the same issue with my CycleOps fluid 2.
Just could not get the high end.

Switched to magnus 2 years ago and now the H2.
I run my workouts I have created and when the intervals hit, I have no problem getting 150's and it's HARD! It simulates the road so much better.
I just could not get that action from the fluid trainer.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
domingjm wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
What is wrong with me?

Really only HIGHLY trained cyclists have the same max HR and VO2 max for running and cycling. I know you're not talking about maximal efforts, but the relation extends to submaximal efforts. The explanation is that cardiac output is the limiting variable for running, but with cycling, the heart's ability to pump blood outstrips the muscle's capacity to use it. To use an extreme example for clarity, sit down and do a maximal set of bicep curls for 3 minutes; your heart rate will come nowhere near either running or cycling even though your perceived exertion is 9-10.

To add a clarifying note: you have a single max HR, which is determined intrinsically by the heart; different activities (at max) will demand different proportions of that max, dependent upon their respective volume of active muscle. Running and other activities that recruit proportionally more muscle mass (e.g., Nordic skiing) will demand higher proportions of that max HR at the same perceived exertion. In these activities (at max), if your heart was capable of providing more blood, you would be able to do more work. As you descend through different activities that recruit less muscle (e.g., cycling and bicep curls), pumping more blood isn't going to improve performance, and there's no stimulus for HR to increase further. Your observation that HR is proportionally low for cycling despite high exertion is the effect of that relation. I hope that makes sense.

Nailed it. Couldn't be explained any better.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Really only HIGHLY trained cyclists have the same max HR and VO2 max for running and cycling. I know you're not talking about maximal efforts, but the relation extends to submaximal efforts. The explanation is that cardiac output is the limiting variable for running, but with cycling, the heart's ability to pump blood outstrips the muscle's capacity to use it. To use an extreme example for clarity, sit down and do a maximal set of bicep curls for 3 minutes; your heart rate will come nowhere near either running or cycling even though your perceived exertion is 9-10.

I'd consider myself above average on the bike, but by no means highly trained. I've seen a max HR in the low 200s during both a hard 5K and VO2 intervals on the trainer recently. I'm definitely a hummingbird HR type. Personally, the only time I've had trouble getting HR up on the trainer was during times of extreme fatigue. I always find threads like this so interesting. The human body is amazing and highly variable.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
I find if I stand up a few times near the beginning and do a hard 30 sec then my HR tends to average a higher level for the same effort over the course of an hour ride. If I stay seated the whole hour my average hear rate will be lower. Once it's up it tend to stay a little higher over the course of an hour.

Very true. Stand up to pedal to warm up. Take breaks and sit and don't pedal, letting blood refresh the legs. You'll start off biking with far happier legs and HR.

Also, don't deny your dedication to your dark master - The Coffee Bean.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velox canis wrote:
domingjm wrote:

I'd consider myself above average on the bike, but by no means highly trained. I've seen a max HR in the low 200s during both a hard 5K and VO2 intervals on the trainer recently. I'm definitely a hummingbird HR type. Personally, the only time I've had trouble getting HR up on the trainer was during times of extreme fatigue. I always find threads like this so interesting. The human body is amazing and highly variable.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? It's interesting, elite endurance athletes tend to have slightly lower max HRs than untrained counterparts. I don't recall if this is a training acclimation or simply a property of their cardiovascular systems. There are several mechanisms involved, but the consequence was interpreted as a lengthened filling time, permitting greater stroke volume and ultimately resulting in a higher cardiac output and VO2. You also have to remember that these people have giant hearts, and if they were forced to operate in the 200s, there probably just wouldn't be enough time for the heart to contract sufficiently to eject an optimal volume of blood. So it's of physiological benefit for them to sacrifice rate in favor of optimizing ejection fraction. For us, there's more than enough time for our tiny hearts :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people might not have the specificity on the run or on the bike to achieve the same outputs.

I don't think a pro cyclist could get a HR up anywhere close to their VO2 efforts on the bike if told to go out and run 800m. The legs just ain't there. Same for runners hopping on the bike.

Triathletes have enough of a balance it probably doesn't make as much a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I'm different than the rest of the world in that my max heart rate is higher on the bike than running. I've hit 185 a few times on the bike, but I hardly ever crack 175 on the run (it has to be hot and humid, and/or I'm doing some sustain high end like 1 mile repeats). I think it's because cycling puts you in max effort situations which running never would due to the dynamics of racing. Every time I got over 180 on the bike has been a result of me emptying the tank for 60s to close down a gap or get over a short roller after I've already been riding near threshold for a while. In running, you don't have the same demands of having to suddenly jump from threshold to a max effort then come back down to threshold.

I will say that my heart rate is very much condition dependent. When it's cool and dry in the winter, whether outside or inside, I really have to work to break 170 regardless of sport. Humidity in particular raises my average and max heart rate by about 10-15bpm. I don't use a fan on my trainer, so the HR I can hit is dependent on the conditions in my apartment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
domingjm wrote:

I guess it just depends on what information you're trying to obtain and how you want to use it. A one-minute maximal effort is only about 50% aerobic; anaerobic metabolites of contraction are also a big stimulus for cardiac output. So if you're trying to assess your maximal heart rate under mostly aerobic conditions, a longer test is probably better if you're using this value to either prescribe or interpret your aerobic efforts. If you just want to know your heart's intrinsic maximal rate, use whatever test yields the highest value. But yeah, for my purposes, I just use the highest value that I've achieved during running, regardless of the duration. For me, that happens to be during full one-mile repeats.

All of the HR based metrics that I use are based off of HR Max or bike HR peak. As in VO2 work is generally around 90-95% of max. Start going much above that and I'll have to be careful with adding any more intensity the next few days. I don't set the paces by the HR though, just by RPE and measure HR, but knowing how truly hard some efforts are helps me with gauging the workload for that week.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikeridesbikes wrote:
I feel like I'm different than the rest of the world in that my max heart rate is higher on the bike than running. I've hit 185 a few times on the bike, but I hardly ever crack 175 on the run (it has to be hot and humid, and/or I'm doing some sustain high end like 1 mile repeats). I think it's because cycling puts you in max effort situations which running never would due to the dynamics of racing. Every time I got over 180 on the bike has been a result of me emptying the tank for 60s to close down a gap or get over a short roller after I've already been riding near threshold for a while. In running, you don't have the same demands of having to suddenly jump from threshold to a max effort then come back down to threshold.

I will say that my heart rate is very much condition dependent. When it's cool and dry in the winter, whether outside or inside, I really have to work to break 170 regardless of sport. Humidity in particular raises my average and max heart rate by about 10-15bpm. I don't use a fan on my trainer, so the HR I can hit is dependent on the conditions in my apartment.

I think you're mostly talking about a typical peak value achieved during an event (training or racing), right? If you did an incremental exercise test with the goal of measuring VO2 max, I think you'd be surprised to see that your running values (both HR and VO2 max) are higher, or at least as high, as cycling. But you're right, in the contexts that you're observing heart rate, you're probably inducing a greater cardiovascular demand on the bike than when you're running.

And yeah, your ability to cool yourself is critical for both performance and as a variable in manipulating heart rate. Sweat is far less effective when it's really humid so you have more blood being shunted toward the skin and away from active muscle. The consequence is that you have less blood returning to the heart and lower stroke volume. In order to maintain cardiac output, heart rate increases to compensate. I'm a pretty big guy and I'll also see a ~15bpm increase in warm weather compared to cool at the same absolute work rate. I really hate summer.

Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up when on a trainer. [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
domingjm wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
domingjm wrote:

All of the HR based metrics that I use are based off of HR Max or bike HR peak. As in VO2 work is generally around 90-95% of max. Start going much above that and I'll have to be careful with adding any more intensity the next few days. I don't set the paces by the HR though, just by RPE and measure HR, but knowing how truly hard some efforts are helps me with gauging the workload for that week.

Yep, I do pretty much the exact same thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
mikeridesbikes wrote:

I think you're mostly talking about a typical peak value achieved during an event (training or racing), right? If you did an incremental exercise test with the goal of measuring VO2 max, I think you'd be surprised to see that your running values (both HR and VO2 max) are higher, or at least as high, as cycling. But you're right, in the contexts that you're observing heart rate, you're probably inducing a greater cardiovascular demand on the bike than when you're running.

And yeah, your ability to cool yourself is critical for both performance and as a variable in manipulating heart rate. Sweat is far less effective when it's really humid so you have more blood being shunted toward the skin and away from active muscle. The consequence is that you have less blood returning to the heart and lower stroke volume. In order to maintain cardiac output, heart rate increases to compensate. I'm a pretty big guy and I'll also see a ~15bpm increase in warm weather compared to cool at the same absolute work rate. I really hate summer.

That's a really good point about racing vs a ramp test.In steady state workouts (even VO2 max type work at 120% of FTP), my heart rate is lower than with racing/group dynamics, and it pretty similar to a track workout. I haven't done a 5k in a while as I'm not a fast runner at short distances, but in the last one I did, my HR was similar to an FTP test on the bike (average low 170s, peak at 177 or so at the end).

Now that I think about it, what's really interesting is that my HR is lower for the same RPE on the bike at lower intensities, but they start to converge near my threshold. Even if drafting were as big of a deal as in cycling, I don't know if you'd see the same effect because the degree of acceleration isn't the same as in cycling. T o go from threshold to all-out sprint in running is probably an increase of maybe 50% in your speed, vs you can more than double your speed if you throw down a 30s 800W attack on a hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, this slipped by. I'm 38. Was a DI collegiate rower. Have always run HR very high. I can run/ride and be comfortably conversational well into the 180s
Quote Reply

Prev Next