Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of it too is that many of the pro races don’t exist anymore, so there’s a converging of athletes into a smaller pool of events.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as coverage of this sport goes, whatever Super League, the Challenge Family and the PTO have been doing to improve viewing and tracking experience, Ironman has been working hard to undo. I see pro triathletes racing IM events less and less as COVID shifts to the rear view mirror and any triathlon taking place is not the only game in town.

Meanwhile Talbot Cox appears to be the only game in town if you're trying to follow live results of an IM event.

/rant over

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think super league does the best job of it, by far. They need to keep putting these events on and they need to do it outside of North America. Europeans, Kiwis, and Aussies seem to appreciate the sport much more.

Ironman will still make money as they have all of the well produced races in the states at the moment.

After this year I plan on racing shorter course and local.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad when the App gets more Slowtwitch notice than the Woman's Pro race.

Great race Skye, Jeanni, Sophie, Heather and Kim!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Good grief IM...your tracking sucks.

First race in ages.

Zero Coverage.

Kudos to the PTO championship series for the content.

Kudos to the usual Triathlete youtubers for picking up IM's absolute disdain for doing anything for pro athletes. Cheering harder and harder against the IM BRAND and for Pro's to flock to a better race series.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:

If the app isn't working you cannot track the women's races.

Also, the women's race didn't have the top 3 within 45 seconds of each other with a potential sprint finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
As far as coverage of this sport goes, whatever Super League, the Challenge Family and the PTO have been doing to improve viewing and tracking experience, Ironman has been working hard to undo. I see pro triathletes racing IM events less and less as COVID shifts to the rear view mirror and any triathlon taking place is not the only game in town.

Meanwhile Talbot Cox appears to be the only game in town if you're trying to follow live results of an IM event.

/rant over

Yes, it sucks that it makes no economic sense to produce a broadcast package for the largest pro-field of the year so far. It would have been cool for sure.

But the only reason Super League, Challenge, and PTO have made those MASSIVE investments in broadcast packaging is as a market differentiator from Ironman in hopes you choose them.

But Challenge previous to Daytona in North America did not produce high standard races and some races that just never even happened. Also, without the Moritz Money, the Moritz Triathlon Company would still be a twitter handle attacking Ironman. What's the runway here for them?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
tyrod1 wrote:

First race in ages.

Incorrect.

AZ 70.3
IMFL
70.3 Gulf coast
IMCoz
70.3 Dubai
IMNZ / 70.3 NZ
70.3 Geelong

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
But Challenge previous to Daytona in North America did not produce high standard races and some races that just never even happened. Also, without the Moritz Money, the Moritz Triathlon Company would still be a twitter handle attacking Ironman. What's the runway here for them?

I don't disagree. Still, Challenge were providing MUCH better coverage than IM - and improving every year - before the Moritz money train arrived. The Championship in Samorin in 2018, for instance - a sort of a meh-stream by today's standards, but so much better than what IM was providing then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoxv8bg48iU

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:

It’s the same backend that challenge/PTO has been using (rtrt.me).

Let’s all remember how bad tracking was 4 years before the new app came out. IM and/or the backend had a few snafu’s today. All the other races that have happened the past few months haven’t had any issues. This is just a blip that they will get figured out for future events.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
I think super league does the best job of it, by far. They need to keep putting these events on and they need to do it outside of North America. Europeans, Kiwis, and Aussies seem to appreciate the sport much more.

Ironman will still make money as they have all of the well produced races in the states at the moment.

After this year I plan on racing shorter course and local.

I gotta say, I watched the Super League Arena games on youtube and a 2-hour event included both Men and Women's races, back-to-back. The format is so fast and exciting 2 hours of viewing felt like 15 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/...VAsMTEk6c&t=513s
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know how many lifetimes I've lived since Arizona 70.3!?!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep hyping that illiterate man-child jock sniffer. There is very little point in broadcasting these races. They are boring to watch and they take a long time. This is the niche of the niche sports. The tracker is fine. It has its bugs. It is certainly more frustrating when it is not working and you’re on course and nobody can tell you your place or time gaps. Following at home as a spectator, 🤷🏼‍♀️. I’m looking forward to St George to seeing the growing number of content creators scurrying about transition like roaches when the lights are turned on.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
Keep hyping that illiterate man-child jock sniffer. There is very little point in broadcasting these races. They are boring to watch and they take a long time. This is the niche of the niche sports. The tracker is fine. It has its bugs. It is certainly more frustrating when it is not working and you’re on course and nobody can tell you your place or time gaps. Following at home as a spectator, 🤷🏼‍♀️. I’m looking forward to St George to seeing the growing number of content creators scurrying about transition like roaches when the lights are turned on.

Rough morning?

If you don't like races and content, why even comment on a pro race thread? At least Talbot, Kenny et al are out there trying to give us some insight and coverage of pro racing that some of us really like to see. It was exceptional racing and we could have seen more of that if Ironman was interested in allowing it.

Insulting people's choice of pursuing their own dreams - it's pretty weak. If my kids said the same thing about another classmate of theirs chasing their dreams - I'd certainly let them know that is both unkind, and completely inappropriate. But that's just because I don't want them to think that insulting others is ok.

I'm glad all you need is a tracker. But you probably don't qualify as a professional triathlon fan if that's the only coverage you need.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
Keep hyping that illiterate man-child jock sniffer.

Oh yeah? Well all those fantastic not-overhyped literate people working at the WTC who are paid to give us race results failed to give us the race results.

Fuck them, not the Instagram-YouTube guy who gave us the race results.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comment from lyla reminding me quite clearly that "those who hate are doing so as a byproduct of unhappiness in their own lives".
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [spencer93w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spencer93w wrote:
Comment from lyla reminding me quite clearly that "those who hate are doing so as a byproduct of unhappiness in their own lives".

1000%

ETA certainly followed by a comment about how happy they are with their lives...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Apr 11, 21 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironman's pro issues is nothing new and you have to remember that the pros do not make IRONMAN any value in the long term. Each racers is easily replaceable. This is not a fan sport.

IF some top pros go and choose a different venue it will not matter to ironman's bottom line. Ironman had 1800 participants at this race.

Walmart doesn't care if a celebrity or rich person shops at their store, they would not pay them to do it or give them a discount. Ironman is slowly pulling away from pro's and moving to support the age group racer more.
They have done this with world 70.3 having more slots and increasing race options around the world. while removing pro races and prize money every year since 2008.

The tracker and app is set up for family and friends to follow who they know, not the pros.

remember REV3, wildflower, challenge xyz. island house. and there are a few more.

The races we have seen this year from Challenge at Daytona and Miami are market timing. I like it but I think they will dry up a bit more next year compared to this years.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:

Finally someone else who sees this asshat for what he is!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Kanute is one of those guys you don't want to end up in a sprint against. I seem to remember him doing something similar to win island house

Escape from Alcatraz as well, I believe. Had some “rubbing is racing” in the chute maybe?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:

I’m thinking a reason the men’s race was/is getting so much more attention is the hype that some of the guys were building for it. YouTube videos from Lionel and Sam long plus some talk from joe skipper helped build up an excitement for this race that was focused on those rivalries. Seems like if you’re not building your own hype than no one will pay attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had zero interest in this race until I checked Talbot Cox "race week" videos. These were good and the banter in those (mostly courtesy of Sam Long and Lionel Sanders) made me look forward to this race. I just followed the tracker and this thread today, which is better than nothing but I would of course have preferred some live coverage. Now I'm looking forward to Talbot's post-race videos.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
ironman's pro issues is nothing new and you have to remember that the pros do not make IRONMAN any value in the long term. Each racers is easily replaceable. This is not a fan sport.

IF some top pros go and choose a different venue it will not matter to ironman's bottom line. Ironman had 1800 participants at this race.

Walmart doesn't care if a celebrity or rich person shops at their store, they would not pay them to do it or give them a discount. Ironman is slowly pulling away from pro's and moving to support the age group racer more.

They have done this with world 70.3 having more slots and increasing race options around the world. while removing pro races and prize money every year since 2008.

The tracker and app is set up for family and friends to follow who they know, not the pros.

remember REV3, wildflower, challenge xyz. island house. and there are a few more.

The races we have seen this year from Challenge at Daytona and Miami are market timing. I like it but I think they will dry up a bit more next year compared to this years.

VERY well said. it is amazing to this day that people think that Pros matter, no matter how many times and how many different threads/topics it is discussed on ST

Excellent point on the bolded part
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Apr 11, 21 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
lyla wrote:

Rough morning?

If you don't like races and content, why even comment on a pro race thread? At least Talbot, Kenny et al are out there trying to give us some insight and coverage of pro racing that some of us really like to see. It was exceptional racing and we could have seen more of that if Ironman was interested in allowing it.

Insulting people's choice of pursuing their own dreams - it's pretty weak. If my kids said the same thing about another classmate of theirs chasing their dreams - I'd certainly let them know that is both unkind, and completely inappropriate. But that's just because I don't want them to think that insulting others is ok.

I'm glad all you need is a tracker. But you probably don't qualify as a professional triathlon fan if that's the only coverage you need.

Lol, the Talbot haters are sort of amusing. It’s like they are jealous of some guy who saw a niche and went out and carved what would have to be a very small opportunity from that.

It’s really weird, like if Talbot is the sole focus of your denigration then you are really fuckin lazy, like so lazy you can’t put the effort in to do petty jealousy right.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:

This is the same short sighted thinking that has been posted here for almost 20 years. Lionel’s embedded style video released yesterday currently has 26k views. If you get people invested in the pros they will watch. Ironman continues to disappoint on all fronts. Would love to see more pros doing high profile Challenge races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next