Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds
Quote | Reply
So swimming is obviously waaaaaay bigger in the US (& Canada) than in the UK and perhaps we don't find out about this stuff in day to day sporting life.

But people talk about times on here (particularly top end speed, 50's & 100s) that genuinely seem to be on another planet to a MOP AOS (okay, I can do sub 60mins in a sea/wetsuit IM but have never swum faster than 1.25 100s (that's short course M (in the UK we don't even have to mention it, almost without exception it will be 25m pool here).

Maybe if I am doing a 25 or 50 I might be a smidge faster but no more.

I can sort of get my head around a tall long limbed big engined Phelps swimming at a speed I can't comprehend but when kids do it I start to get lost.

How do they do it? What are they really doing differently that means they can move through the water at almost twice the speed of a fit moderately coordinated adult with a broadly reasonably stroke (nothing glaring wrong)
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're a sub 1h swimmer and can't break 1:25 short course m?
That's sounds weird...My 100yd PR is 58.2s (1:03 scm equivalent) and my IM swim PR is 58:01. My 70.3 splits are in the 27-29 range.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup - it is sea/wetsuit but I have 3 under my belt sub 60.

I guess I might be able to do 1.23/24 as one off max effort. The flip side is that when fit I can swim 1.35 until the cows come home.

My question really wasn't so much about me, more about what gets you from 1/20ish to sub 1.00 when it clearly isn't strength. Lots of people with reasonable stroke mechanics are still only swimming 1.20+ so what is making the difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skill

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mechanics obviously but also include things such as: diving from the blocks, proper flip turns and underwaters - these things are huge especially in short course.

ericMPro wrote:
skill

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: Nov 29, 18 4:38
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green hollow bones are more buoyant?

All muscles still full length allowing full joint range?

Are lungs big in proportion to developed bodies?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
So swimming is obviously waaaaaay bigger in the US (& Canada) than in the UK and perhaps we don't find out about this stuff in day to day sporting life.

But people talk about times on here (particularly top end speed, 50's & 100s) that genuinely seem to be on another planet to a MOP AOS (okay, I can do sub 60mins in a sea/wetsuit IM but have never swum faster than 1.25 100s (that's short course M (in the UK we don't even have to mention it, almost without exception it will be 25m pool here).

I can sort of get my head around a tall long limbed big engined Phelps swimming at a speed I can't comprehend but when kids do it I start to get lost.

How do they do it? What are they really doing differently that means they can move through the water at almost twice the speed of a fit moderately coordinated adult with a broadly reasonably stroke (nothing glaring wrong)

Big thing they do differently is that they can kick. Not many AOS swimmers can kick.

Another thing is that although you may not have anything "glaring (sic) wrong", the subtleties matter. It's not just the form, it's about where you apply the power.

and yet another thing is that they practice going VERY fast, and they swim WAY more than you do. When was the last time you did a set of all-out 25's from the blocks?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

Big thing they do differently is that they can kick. Not many AOS swimmers can kick.

Another thing is that although you may not have anything "glaring (sic) wrong", the subtleties matter. It's not just the form, it's about where you apply the power.

and yet another thing is that they practice going VERY fast, and they swim WAY more than you do. When was the last time you did a set of all-out 25's from the blocks?

Thanks.

Okay, this is interesting to me. So the kick makes a significant difference. Secondly, and really interestingly 'where you apply the power'. That's the first time I have heard of timing/position when applying the power in swimming? I am sure it is the case but it's never mentioned in tri swimming stuff. Can you expand at all?

To the person who did 'sic' - glaring is correct english.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should be "glaringly wrong" or "glaring".

You're welcome ;-)

Feel free to correct my english anytime, I know I usually write terrible.

As far as power production goes, one of the things that gets emphasized a lot is to accelerate the hand through the pull. At the very top of the stroke, there's no leverage there (but you still want that extension for good streamlining).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
It should be "glaringly wrong" or "glaring".

You're welcome ;-)

As far as power production goes, one of the things that gets emphasized a lot is to accelerate the hand through the pull. At the very top of the stroke, there's no leverage there (but you still want that extension for good streamlining).

Ha, touche.

And thank you. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the mechanics of swimming have significant parallels to those of rowing (the blade entering, through, and exiting the water being the arm in the stroke)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a rower, but my limited understanding of that sport tells me that you're on the right track if you think of it that way.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

Thanks.

Okay, this is interesting to me. So the kick makes a significant difference. Secondly, and really interestingly 'where you apply the power'. That's the first time I have heard of timing/position when applying the power in swimming? I am sure it is the case but it's never mentioned in tri swimming stuff. Can you expand at all?

To the person who did 'sic' - glaring is correct english.

The kick and the power application are also related. You can probably have a pretty noodle relaxed body and mediocre timing and swim a 1:25 100m.
To go 1:00 your body needs to be moving as a unit for propulsion, both in terms of generating force and maintaining Hull shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that 1:25 "in a workout from the wall and I swear I'm trying hard" or "in a meet from the blocks shaved tapered and race suited and someone's going to have to fish me out of the pool after because my arms will be jelly"? There's a big difference.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also draw parallels to throwing a baseball. To maximize distance you utilize (i.e. rotate) your entire body - hips, core, and shoulders to transfer force into the ball. If you stand still and just throw with your arm that ball isn't going anywhere. What separates a normal person from an MLB pitcher?

Fast swimmers also have "skill" to feel and maximize catch as well as this well-timed hip rotation and kick to maximize force transfer through the pull.

Of course, then you have to swim a lot to be able to power through the water without fatiguing. And then you need to be as "hydro" as possible to overcome a fluid 800 times denser than air.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Is that 1:25 "in a workout from the wall and I swear I'm trying hard" or "in a meet from the blocks shaved tapered and race suited and someone's going to have to fish me out of the pool after because my arms will be jelly"? There's a big difference.

Hahah the former. And I am sure I have a noodle body and poor timing although I try not to have both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"terribly"( needs an adverb not adjective).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The age group swimming kids swim 8-10 times per week with sessions of 5000-6000m with a coach monitoring technique and progress. If you do that for a year you will likely be able to swim low 50s for your IM without a wetsuit. Doesn't leave much time and energy for biking and running though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Quote:

You mean you write terribly or you are a terrible writer;)
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Quote:

You mean you write terribly or you are a terrible writer;)

terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the mechanics of swimming have significant parallels to those of rowing (the blade entering, through, and exiting the water being the arm in the stroke)

Parallels, I would agree. Well, I think I would agree. I don't actually know proper swim technique but I *think* the idea of the catch, pull, push, and follow throw are similar in both sports. But, regardless, as a former rower, that has not translated into any actual swim speed for me.
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
That's sounds weird...My 100yd PR is 58.2s (1:03 scm equivalent) and my IM swim PR is 58:01. My 70.3 splits are in the 27-29 range.

Yeah well, my IM swim PR is 52 minutes and I can't break 1:20/100m...

Yeah it was Chattanooga...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:

I think a Doritos bag swam a 48 at IMChoo...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
hadukla wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:

I think a Doritos bag swam a 48 at IMChoo...

I never said I was fast! :) Plus doritos has great form

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the mechanics of swimming have significant parallels to those of rowing (the blade entering, through, and exiting the water being the arm in the stroke)

Parallels, I would agree. Well, I think I would agree. I don't actually know proper swim technique but I *think* the idea of the catch, pull, push, and follow throw are similar in both sports. But, regardless, as a former rower, that has not translated into any actual swim speed for me.

Ha, me neither.

I was thinking in terms of the 'subtly' of it. You want a fast catch that doesn't upset the forward momentum of the boat. Once it is properly locked you want to accelerate through (without the blade at just the right depth) before cleanly exiting the water at the finish. If you screw the catch up you'll knock the run of the boat, if your finishes aren't clean you'll shut down the acceleration and boat speed you gained through the drive, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: From MOP to 'another planet' swim speeds [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Fast swimmers also have "skill" to feel and maximize catch as well as this well-timed hip rotation and kick to maximize force transfer through the pull.

Of course, then you have to swim a lot to be able to power through the water without fatiguing.

I've been playing around with this for a year or so, but I can't seem to get the timing quite right.

The problem seems to be that some hip rotation happens when driving the extension, but that leaves a pretty short extension/catch if I want to carry the momentum into the pull.
Quote Reply

Prev Next