Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA Build [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Starting a IA (FRD or IA1) build. Help me spend my money. Suggestions? Wheels are already decided.

One of the biggest places I am stuck is at front end. Looking at a Enve, TriRig, and Zipp base bars with either a felt stem or TriRig stem.

Both of those frame 'modules' come with felt bars already, don't they? Any particular reason you are switching?

Larger air foil (which is debatable if it is faster of not) and ability to tilt which is not present on current felt bar.

It is if you get the tilted custom spacer kit. If you search the forum you will find the mnf, i can’t remember the name right now but i had it on my ia frd.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The IA dagger stem sounds like what you need. It's funny there's still confusion these are 'pro only', they haven't been that way since the the first half-year the IA came out, and before that with the DA. Everything I have on my bike can be purchased.

I think the Vuka Aero can accommodate heaps of reach options. Obviously extensions are going out or in as required, but you can actually clamp the arm pad in different position along the extensions in increments either side of the extension clamp. You don't have to just drop the arm pad inside the extensions clamp. You can also reverse the arm pad mount as I do to bring the pads narrower, to the point that they the can touch in the middle. The low stack mounts are what I'm using, which can't pitch, so I just pitch upward from the basebar, which is what the Vuka Aero is designed to do. I believe the airfoil of the basebar can accommodate pitch upwards of 10 degrees without aero compromise. But the regular mounts can pitch upward too. I also put some washers under the front screw of the arm rest to pitch the arm rest itself.

If you have any more questions on what you can and can't do I'll come back to the thread in the coming days.

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

©BrakeThrough Media

©BrakeThrough Media

©BrakeThrough Media

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you using for a computer mount on those zipp bars? Can’t quite make it out in the photos.

Thanks

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have looked long and far for how to get your exact setup, I always noticed your pitch in the pads and aha!!

So you just use a few washers under the front screw on the pads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:

©BrakeThrough Media

©BrakeThrough Media

©BrakeThrough Media

great problem solving with your front end... both as a fitter and as an athlete with a similar position. If it were me I'd level the basebar (regardless of the anecdote you cited) and use more washers to achieve the tilt you're looking for.

Next I'd put SRAM R2C shifters on the ends of your extensions, not for shifting obviously as you have the eTap but as a place for the heels of your hands to dig into when you get into your shrugged and turtled position... they're a little bit wider than the extensions themselves and it's really helpful to have something pushing back at the ends of your extensions.

Anyway, thanks for posting... cool to see the Dagger stem in operation on an IA FRD. I'm installing them on all my clients with Felts these days.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:
I run eTap and the blip box is currently velcro'd to the inside of the frame, underneath the Calpac.
Presently, I have Alpha X bars fitted, but as highlighted earlier, you can't secure the nose cone properly, so mine is held on with black Gaffer tape!
If I can get hold of one of those Dagger stems (in UK), the TriRig set up is getting the boot!

You can't get the TR Alpha X stem on without having to tape nose cone? Did you shave off those tabs? If you replaced the Alpha X what bar would you go to?

Didn't shave tabs off, but there's nowhere to attach the upper nose section to, without taping.
I'm going to get the Dagger base bar and probably the Zipp Vuka.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. If the reasoning behind the tilt on my Vuka Aero is an anecdote, can I call your story about added comfort with R2C shifters on an eTap setup an anecdote? :p

PS, my story is not an anecdote :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. If the reasoning behind the tilt on my Vuka Aero is an anecdote, can I call your story about added comfort with R2C shifters on an eTap setup an anecdote? :p

touché. Anyway, instead of using buttons I use the normal blips glued into the underside of the R2C shifters. For clients, the EVO 110s are great for the added rise.

something else I'm trying are angled pads made in the UK.... Wattshop I believe is the maker. Still haven't mounted them... using washers like you.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:

touché. Anyway, instead of using buttons I use the normal blips glued into the underside of the R2C shifters. For clients, the EVO 110s are great for the added rise.

something else I'm trying are angled pads made in the UK.... Wattshop I believe is the maker. Still haven't mounted them... using washers like you.

Besides Wattshop, who make armrests with a 20 degree angle, or will custom make one offs, there is also a mate, Jason Swann, who prints angles spacers for quite a few different bar options.
I've had Jason spacers for my old Canyon and my present Alpha X set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
The IA dagger stem sounds like what you need. It's funny there's still confusion these are 'pro only', they haven't been that way since the the first half-year the IA came out, and before that with the DA. Everything I have on my bike can be purchased.

I think the Vuka Aero can accommodate heaps of reach options. Obviously extensions are going out or in as required, but you can actually clamp the arm pad in different position along the extensions in increments either side of the extension clamp. You don't have to just drop the arm pad inside the extensions clamp. You can also reverse the arm pad mount as I do to bring the pads narrower, to the point that they the can touch in the middle. The low stack mounts are what I'm using, which can't pitch, so I just pitch upward from the basebar, which is what the Vuka Aero is designed to do. I believe the airfoil of the basebar can accommodate pitch upwards of 10 degrees without aero compromise. But the regular mounts can pitch upward too. I also put some washers under the front screw of the arm rest to pitch the arm rest itself.

If you have any more questions on what you can and can't do I'll come back to the thread in the coming days.

Do you need/ get a low profile bearing cover with the Dagger?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bearing cover as in headset top cap? Yes :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:

I'm going to say no... installed a dagger with no bearing cover. The underside of the Dagger stem is recessed, and acts as the bearing cover.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by hopper1 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
hopper1 wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:

I'm going to say no... installed a dagger with no bearing cover. The underside of the Dagger stem is recessed, and acts as the bearing cover.

Great, thank you. đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
....I believe the airfoil of the basebar can accommodate pitch upwards of 10 degrees without aero compromise. But the regular mounts can pitch upward too. I also put some washers under the front screw of the arm rest to pitch the arm rest itself....
I don't believe the basebar drag does not increase with a significant angle of attack. An inclined aerofoil will produce lift and associated drag until stall at which point the drag will increase significantly. It's quite possible it remains unstalled up to 10 degrees or more so the compromise may not be huge but I'm sure there is a compromise.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [duduardoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duduardoman wrote:
Some ideas. Last year's project. Paint it black! ;) Fully integrated cables through risers (which allows for a EW-RS910 bar end junction integration in extension). Brakes are a pain in the ass (fixed that problem with a couple of helicoidal springs adding more tension to the weak stock springs). Flo Wheels. 1X...

Difficult to see for sure, but are your Di2 cables exiting the side of the extension clamp, then entering the side of the riser block. Then exiting bottom edge of riser and entering the top cap? Did you drill/ dremel the risers?... Very neat set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YUP, that's exactly how I did it. I drilled extensions, risers and top cap :) Very, very clean setup indeed.

hopper1 wrote:
Difficult to see for sure, but are your Di2 cables exiting the side of the extension clamp, then entering the side of the riser block. Then exiting bottom edge of riser and entering the top cap? Did you drill/ dremel the risers?... Very neat set up

duduardoman wrote:
Some ideas. Last year's project. Paint it black! ;) Fully integrated cables through risers (which allows for a EW-RS910 bar end junction integration in extension). Brakes are a pain in the ass (fixed that problem with a couple of helicoidal springs adding more tension to the weak stock springs). Flo Wheels. 1X...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is bad ass! Nice Job. You should get the new cal pack and switch out the extension clamps with the V3 version.

Well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once I'm happy with my set up, I'll nail the wiring on my eTap 👊🏼
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post pictures when you are done. :) Looking forward to seeing the closeups of a good, custom, hidden eTap setup on an IA.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do 👍🏼
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do love the black!!!! I was thinking about a wrap but was under the gun with time so stuck with the stock paint, which looks amazing on the FRD this year.

Build is almost done, I went with a tri rig front end, but LBS having some difficulty with it currently getting everything flush.... Sorry I should say they have solutions that have not been implemented yet and may involve some 3d printing.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
I went with a tri rig front end, but LBS having some difficulty with it currently getting everything flush.... Sorry I should say they have solutions that have not been implemented yet and may involve some 3d printing.
Are you talking about the transition from the Alpha X stem to the Calpac area? I am very interested in what you do. That is the one aesthetic flaw on mine. It has not been a high priority, but it would be cool to have some kind of insert that matches the shape of the OE Felt IA stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Build [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Issue is with the gap between the break cover and and the bottom of the Alpha X stem. Tried to instal the slim dust free cover but mechanic was not happy with that one since it left some of the bearings exposed. So have thicker dust cover now. Either way very noticeable gap between stem and break cover.

Will be back tomorrow starting fit process so can post some pics of current situation. If I cant find a good solution can always go back to dagger stem and zipp bar for a clean set up.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply

Prev Next