Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you boycott any products? [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quit buying Newtons after having several shoes with premature separation of the lugs from the out sole (e.g., after about 2 months of running in them).

I gave up on St Anthony's triathlon after several years of swim curtailment or cancellation, and getting tired of giving up a weekend for a short course event with all the logistics issues of a long course race.

I boycott any events put on by a certain race director in the Sarasota area after first hand experience with his low quality races.

And I haven't bought a Ford since the transmission in my vehicle disintegrated at only about 70K miles in 2005. (That was the 3rd and last new car I bought from them).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fast food or large chains and brands like McDs, Starbucks, Nike ..

I don’t think these large corporations are at a big loss without my money. Also, I try to support small and local businesses and brands whenever I can.

But in saying all that I’m bad at boycotting cuz every so often I crave (and then buy and eat) a McDs hash brown. Or when I’m desperate for good coffee in the US I’ll go to Starbucks.

I’ve got a lot of respect for people who’ve got a lot more willpower than me esp when their boycotts are for ethical reasons (not always political as I’ve got lots of friends who care a lot about workers rights).

On the opposite end - I’ll dig deep and give give give to companies who give plenty back to their employees, society and the environment - Patagonia yes I’ll give you $200 for that T-shirt thanks very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say Gillette after the ad, but I've been using a Mühle R41 with Derby blades for years so yeah, they're not the best a man can get. Not even close.

Not a boycott but: Apple until their quality:price makes sense to me.

RallySavage wrote:
UFC. I was one of the suckers that went to Vegas with a family of six expecting to see a UFC event in Vegas. Then 2 days before I was supposed to go they moved it to Los Angeles.
Yeah, that BS move has cost them dearly. They're overestimating Jon Jones' worth if you ask me. They're not getting a cent from me until that and the WWE stuff disappears.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to go seek out that Gillette ad. What’s the problem with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back on track:

Is there a brand that you boycotted in the past that you no longer boycott because their product is just that good?

ex: I don't buy Crank Brothers stuff because their durability sucks ("we've improved it this time, I swear"), but man if I had a set of race day only shoes for XC or CX racing, I would consider eggbeaters for the ease of entry and mud shedding abilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derby? you need to ubgrade!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McDonalds. I have nothing against the company. They just literally made me shit my pants 15+ years ago and I’ve only eaten there once since.

Verizon. Loyal customer for 12+ years then they refused to credit me back like a $40 charge that was their fault. After I was already told they would take care of it. BYE!

Sport related: Pearl Izumi did an ad last year that really portrayed cyclists poorly and was basically victim shaming them. They have since deleted that ad series, but they were saying cars have a right to feel frustrated because cyclists are annoying yuppies in spandex. There are other manufacturers I’d prefer to spend my money with.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Derby? you need to ubgrade!
Tried several brands and they're easily my favourite. Smooth and effective. That said, I know this is a matter of personal preference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feather are the sharpest I've tried. Personally a fan of Astra.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too aggressive for my taste. Also didn't last as long, but they all last so much longer than disposable that it's a wash.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- not a monopoly; they only own 50% of the market and the #2 is at 6% : )

- also: how is our society better if we get our water / groceries etc. delivered in 24hrs or less even if we dont need it in 24hrs or less? we;re saving time...to do what exactly?

- we (at least a majority of us) are trying to preserve our resources and cut down on pollution but we have no issues asking a truck to deliver our detergent or pet food.

- we seem also not sensitive to the way the "fulfillment centers" treat their employees: talk about 21th century slavery.

- we do not care about the retail world destruction: shopping online is so much more fun than actually walking to stores. you save so much time.

- i stop here for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeungling (piss water, supports Cheeto-in-Chief)
Sam Adams (not piss water, supports Cheeto-in-Chief)
Dicks (guns are really bad)
Vista Outdoor/Giro/Bell/Camelbak (guns are really bad; had our FP move all our assets from any Vista holdings)
Hobby Lobby (hate is bad; i don't have any hobbies, anyway)
Chic-Fil-Whatever (fast food + religion = tasteless)
Religion (organized, or otherwise)
Gillette (I know right from wrong w/o being lectured by an "ad" for a personal grooming product manufacturer)

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jan 18, 19 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [I ride Fuji's] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride Fuji's wrote:
Greenswell races in Ohio.

Can you expand on this? I've only done a couple of Greenswell races, and never had a really good or really bad experience with them. What caused you to boycott them?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:

Quintana Roo. Stupid name

Now you're shortlisted for a Slowtwitch ban
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
Gillette (I know right from wrong w/o being lectured by an "ad" for a personal grooming product manufacturer)

I am not knocking you at all about your choice since I share many of your same views on a certain person and certain amendment but my opinion of that ad is, like you, I know right from wrong but as you know MANY people do not. But I also didn't think of it as a lecture really. I also do not have cable so I have only seen it once, so maybe my view would be a bit different if it was pushed down my throat like every other commercial seems to be, but I really liked the message because of our current society's viewpoints on many issues.

But for me, I try to "boycott" things that are hate filled or try to spread the message of hate or exclusion or violence. Or making excuses for certain behaviors. My mom went to Michigan State and I have always been a fan but they sure are making it hard to support that school anymore.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All valid points, and expressed well. Thanks for the perspective about Mich. I have heard similar, before: my wife was at PSU, when Paterno was there, etc.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the feedback! The PSU stuff was crazy too and I am a bit nervous to see what else will come out about other people/organizations because I am unfortunately sure that it has happened other places. I just hope not to either of those levels.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With you guys on Amazon. That's just too much control for one corporation. I stopped using them over 5 year ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
Mcdonalds
Bottled water
Bank of America
Cable TV

Amen
Amen
Amen
Amen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek because of Armstrong.

Gillette because of the NE Patriots.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow you sound like a really strict ethical shopper.... I bet you also avoid daily industries or products that have required decades of constant slave labour, child labour, underpaid labour, unfairly subsidised, cartel driven, polluting carbon, burning of coal, huge volumes of pesticides, animal cruelty, felling rain forests, war funding, price fixing, no sustainable farming or fishing,...at least you are refusing to buy a bike from a local company that tried to support a cyclist in bike racing over 10 years ago
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
secret life of walter mitty wasn't that bad...and I like the soundtrack.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
secret life of walter mitty wasn't that bad...and I like the soundtrack.

I was only holding Starsky & Hutch against him, I’d forgotten about Mitty.

The boycott stands!
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [cold turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry but Nike makes cheap gear that doesn’t last.

They also virtue signal while supporting the likes of Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning who have both sexually assaulted women and remain silent.

No thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Wow you sound like a really strict ethical shopper.... I bet you also avoid daily industries or products that have required decades of constant slave labour, child labour, underpaid labour, unfairly subsidised, cartel driven, polluting carbon, burning of coal, huge volumes of pesticides, animal cruelty, felling rain forests, war funding, price fixing, no sustainable farming or fishing,...at least you are refusing to buy a bike from a local company that tried to support a cyclist in bike racing over 10 years ago
Just call me Shallow Al.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply

Prev Next