Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got Covid for the 2nd time (last Dec) with general fatigue the day of IMDE, which I ended up cutting short. Just didn't feel right and the swim was very hard for some reason even though I felt I was in pretty good swim shape. The next day I had all the classic symptoms and tested positive. Though, for both my Covid bouts, it never went to my lungs. No real cough or congestion. Just the incredibly tough headache and first few days of fever/body aches. Anyone else just get the bad headache, super fatigue, and many hours of sleep (but nothing in the lungs)? If so, how long until you started training again?
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Covid twice damn !!

Two different variants ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a tight chest, but same - didn't feel like it got in the lungs. The chest tightness felt more like anxiety than an illness. I coughed infrequently (like, once an hour), by day 4 the infrequent cough would be productive and there were a handful that felt like I cleared out a lung but otherwise no breathing issues.

Currently on day 10 after the first symptom. Besides the shakeout run pre race, and a 70.3, I have done 1 easy ride (30 min) and 1 easy walk (1 hour). Both were harder than I thought they'd be. I'm planning to try another ride today, and a (light) masters swim tomorrow.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 6 here. Last day on paxlovid. Let's see what the hell happens from here. Feeling a bit better but still low on energy and can't look at a computer for more than 15 mins or so at a time.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 6 here as well. My throat started to feel sore at the office on Wednesday so I went home and took a test which came back negative. Woke up early the next morning to go to my weekly track workout and still felt lousy so I tested again and it was immediately positive. I had two or three days of intense sinus pressure and congestion, headache, coughing, fatigue, and a constant feeling that I needed to sneeze. No fever and it never felt like a deep chest cold or flu. By Saturday afternoon I was feeling about 80%. I went for an easy 30-minute ride yesterday which felt fine, but otherwise haven't done much of anything. Planning to try an easy run this afternoon. Interestingly my resting HR was totally normal when I felt the worst, but has crept up 5-6 BPM the last couple days.

My wife and daughter went up to the family lake house for the week so I'm in isolation by default. Trying to determine when I can go back to the office as the guidance seems to vary. The CDC says after 5 days as long as you don't have a fever and continue to wear a mask through day 10. However I'm seeing lots of sources recommending isolation until you test negative with an antigen test, and as of this morning I'm still testing positive, so it seems like staying home for a few more days is the responsible thing to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 7 here. I feel mostly better today, although I also slept for almost 10 hours last night (normal for me is about 7).

Like you, debating on when to head back into the office -- I'm likely skipping it until next week just so that way we can get whatever viral loads I have in my system down to a minimum.

I'm still not doing much more than basic household tasks and walking for now. I figure it's easier for me to regain another week's worth of fitness by taking it easy now than trying too much, too soon and risking long COVID or anything else. This year was kind of a write off, anyways...really just looking at doing some fall cyclocross racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've been pretty unlucky. December got Covid which was similar to now, but I lost my taste for like 2 months (maybe Delta). May was a very bad cold - no smell, taste, and bad cough -- but apparently it wasn't Covid. Then, right on IM race day I felt off and that evening I had fever/aches/headache. The positive test coincided with the very bad symptoms (but I could taste so maybe Omicron). I live in London UK where masks are pretty much gone and people don't seem to care. Not great for training with all the intermittent breaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just starting Covid session #2.
3 months after the 1st bout.

Last time I was grotty for 3 or 4 days, then got sore throat/ cough. Went v steady biking and OW swimming about 11 days after getting the symptoms (was testing clear after 6 or 7). I was absolutely blowing out of my arse if I hit any hills or tried a swim sprint. The week after I was back to normal.

So - this time I'm probably going to give it a good couple of weeks before anything other than steady dog walks.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First Covid infection is pretty clear at this point, day 12 or so. Still have some thick mucus, but that’s about it.

Totally kicked my ass. Breakthrough case from two vaccines and a booster. Thought I was going to die for about 48 hours with a day or two of pretty bad flu on either side. Picked it up at a half IM unfortunately.

Going to start back with a real light day tomorrow and see what happens. Most I’ve done so far is some real short slow hikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breakthrough here too. Same as you, 2 x moderna and a booster. Positive on Aprill 11. Tried to start back to training 9 days later. Thought I was ramping easy then I'd get slammed by headaches and wicked fatigue. I kept pushing as I had an event I was trying to prep for in mid-late June. Finally pulled the plug first week of June. Took a full month off with just some super easy walks in the neighborhood as I had a constant tickle in my throat that would quickly become a cough at this point. Back to riding pretty easy the last couple weeks. Can do up to an hour and a half or so with some mild fatigue if I ride back to back days or spike into tempo or higher for too long. Skipping days seems to work OK.

Just cancelled a trip to Toronto for my cousin's wedding. Not going to push my luck with BA.5 out there. I'd rather not go through this again. At least until I recover fully from round 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [goneskiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today is Day 26.

Went up to LP for the race this weekend. Usually I do a bunch of training while up. This year? I rode down to the expo to grab my media pass, rode River Road, the Bears, etc. It was enough. Then yesterday's normal 16 hour day and I am smoked today.

Just going to ease back into things this week and fingers crossed stay healthy for a while.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First dance with it for me and on Day 15

Symptoms came on very rapidly during the evening, woke up to 6 straight days of 103 and change fever, followed by chest pains. Now feels like a sinus infection plus fatigue - sleeping 10 to 12 hrs per day and still not enough....i don't see being back on the bike for at the earliest another week
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 27 for me. Vaxxed and boosted x 1. Started off feeling some sinus congestion and nausea. Vomited twice on day 1. Had a fever from 100-101 for about 5-6 days until it finally broke. Finally tested neg after around 9-10 days. Back to work that next week, feeling slightly better. Did a couple of 15 min. easy spins on the road bike with some post exertional dyspnea. Took it easy for a few days and last week went out to mow the yard with a riding mower. Took about 30 min. in fairly hot conditions and my heart rate immediately spiked to around 100 and stayed there for 5-6 hours. Went to the Dr. and he placed me on an antibiotic as well a taking a chest x-ray. Next, i lost my voice and now i'm here 5 days later, resting again and hopefully getting better. I'm surprised at how long it's taking this virus to clear my system. My plan is to rest another week and if feeling okay, introduce slow cycling at low HR about 5 minutes at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [SteveDDS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I managed 3 weeks of non interrupted training late June to mid July but then my daughter got sick from day care and now I’ve been sick again for last 10 days! Not COVID but some kinda virus. Had flu jab and despite this been sick twice this winter. Am meant be doing Taupo 70.3 in December but have basically only managed string together 3 weeks training only since February. I feel like I’ve been sick 85% of this year…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 6 here. Last day on paxlovid. Let's see what the hell happens from here. Feeling a bit better but still low on energy and can't look at a computer for more than 15 mins or so at a time.

My wife contracted Covid either at or just after the Canadian Master's Road Cycling Championships first week of July ( still not sure how/where) - where she won the Individual Time Trail for the 2nd year in a row and finished 3rd in the Road Race. There was also a bonus Open Road Race for women on Day 3, Gran Fondo Style that she won overall for the women. 3 great days of racing in a row - the best fitness all year. She then became very quickly sicker than she ever has in recent memory.

Over a week barely moving from bed. Positive RATs every day. Us isolating in the house. We don't have be a big house but we were able to do this thankfully. It was almost 2 full weeks since first symptoms until the first negative RAT. The initial brutal symptoms did subside after 2 weeks but she was left with extraordinary fatigue ( short walks absolutely wrecked her), severe nausea, and brain fog, and an inability to focus on anything for too long. It was almost like post concussion!

By three weeks she was feeling better and was out and about a bit. She needed to get healthy enough and strong enough to host her annual Training Camp for her athletes that she Coaches that are doing IM Mont Tremblant - but riding or doing anything physical was out of the question - she just drove the car around. That was last weekend.

She fears that the rest of her competitive bike racing season has been wiped out. She did jump on the indoor trainer today, and could barely push out any kind of power - HR sky rocketing! So here we are barely 4 weeks on from being at her best fitness all year, and one of the best Master's Women Road Racers in Canada, and she's not back at ground zero, but perhaps lower than that! It's not officially "Long Covid" until you get a few months down the road!

Those that are brushing this off as, "Just the cold/flu" are WRONG! This impacts every person a bit differently. If it infects 10 people - all 10 will be impacted in a different way! You simply do not know its going to hit and impact you until you get it. So . . it might be best and prudent to avoid getting it at all! That would be the wise approach.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

My wife contracted Covid either at or just after the Canadian Master's Road Cycling Championships first week of July ( still not sure how/where) - where she won the Individual Time Trail for the 2nd year in a row and finished 3rd in the Road Race. There was also a bonus Open Road Race for women on Day 3, Gran Fondo Style that she won overall for the women. 3 great days of racing in a row - the best fitness all year. She then became very quickly sicker than she ever has in recent memory.

Over a week barely moving from bed. Positive RATs every day. Us isolating in the house. We don't have be a big house but we were able to do this thankfully. It was almost 2 full weeks since first symptoms until the first negative RAT. The initial brutal symptoms did subside after 2 weeks but she was left with extraordinary fatigue ( short walks absolutely wrecked her), severe nausea, and brain fog, and an inability to focus on anything for too long. It was almost like post concussion!

By three weeks she was feeling better and was out and about a bit. She needed to get healthy enough and strong enough to host her annual Training Camp for her athletes that she Coaches that are doing IM Mont Tremblant - but riding or doing anything physical was out of the question - she just drove the car around. That was last weekend.

She fears that the rest of her competitive bike racing season has been wiped out. She did jump on the indoor trainer today, and could barely push out any kind of power - HR sky rocketing! So here we are barely 4 weeks on from being at her best fitness all year, and one of the best Master's Women Road Racers in Canada, and she's not back at ground zero, but perhaps lower than that! It's not officially "Long Covid" until you get a few months down the road!

Those that are brushing this off as, "Just the cold/flu" are WRONG! This impacts every person a bit differently. If it infects 10 people - all 10 will be impacted in a different way! You simply do not know its going to hit and impact you until you get it. So . . it might be best and prudent to avoid getting it at all! That would be the wise approach.
Everyone should get vaccinated and their 4th booster...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the Mrs and her experience.

As I noted above, I was at least able to work and put together an 18 hour day on the feet running around LP. Also rode ~40 minutes which, in retrospect, I went way harder than I thought I was going (at least what my Strava segments are telling me).

I think it's smart to turn the wick down for a bit. The well built by years of endurance fitness isn't going to suddenly evaporate overnight. Easing back in and building up from there.

I am KN95ing when I show up to the office for in-person stuff. I don't need to test and see whether I had BA5 or not by playing stupid roulette. (although, based on my symptoms, it's very likely I had an Omicron variant).

That all being said, I'm convinced that the combination of vaccination and Paxlovid kept me from progressing to a more severe case. There were two absolutely horrid nights in the midst of things. Can see why the death rate is something like 6x higher for unvaccinated individuals, even with these "minor" versions of COVID lying around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's nice that your Dr. prescribed Paxlovid for you. I specifically inquired about Paxlovid with my Dr. and he refused to prescribe for me. Not sure why, but i'm a little pissed about it since I've been sick for a month now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My history of traumatic brain injury finally paid off for something somewhat useful.

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little scary that "COVID heart" which was a thing, then had some pushback about being overblown, is now a thing again.

We already knew this, but another reason to be very careful resuming training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveDDS wrote:
It's nice that your Dr. prescribed Paxlovid for you. I specifically inquired about Paxlovid with my Dr. and he refused to prescribe for me. Not sure why, but i'm a little pissed about it since I've been sick for a month now.

Same for me. Just tested positive over weekend. Went to doctor, was told I'm not at risk for developing pneumonia or being admitted to hospital so refused to prescribe it.

First 48 hours were brutal. Felt like 80% the intensity of the vaccine side effects, but 6x as long. Fever has finally broken, so I'm optimistic the worse is behind me. Thankfully I haven't lost my taste/smell, so I can at least still enjoy a morning coffee. Though appetite is minimal at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Flek, (and any MDs out there)
Do you think the 3 days of intense activity primed your wife to be more susceptible to a more severe infection? Can a person be at an apparent peak in overall racing shape, but have an immune system that is somehow not in prime condition to resist and respond to a viral infection? There is literature on overtraining syndrome and upper respiratory infections, but I didn't see anything specifically covid-related. Can the inflammation response to high intensity exercise add to the infection response?

None of these questions have definitive answers. Every case can be different. I am just speculating here, and wondering what future studies will reveal.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welp my 4.5 year old brought it home, gave it to our 20 month old and wife Monday and finally me yesterday. So far I’ve only had a headache and sore throat but wife has been fatigued and flu like. The 20 month is having a tough time. Bad cough and fever but I think if she was older it would be more manageable. 4.5 year old is back to normal thankfully.

Hoping my symptoms stay mild but planning on taking 5 days off then a week of easier runs because so far I am only having above the neck symptoms with no HR issues so far. Fingers crossed!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hokiebird wrote:
Hi Flek, (and any MDs out there)
Do you think the 3 days of intense activity primed your wife to be more susceptible to a more severe infection? Can a person be at an apparent peak in overall racing shape, but have an immune system that is somehow not in prime condition to resist and respond to a viral infection? There is literature on overtraining syndrome and upper respiratory infections, but I didn't see anything specifically covid-related. Can the inflammation response to high intensity exercise add to the infection response?

None of these questions have definitive answers. Every case can be different. I am just speculating here, and wondering what future studies will reveal.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my wife and I contracted covid very early on when there wasn't much understanding of how to treat this and obviously no vaccines. We both had pretty severe symptoms. At the time we were both highly trained, lean and in the middle of a big block before some bigger targets. I absolutely know and believe that there is a huge difference between being extremely fit and being healthy. While blood indicators and biometrics would show a primed athlete for us both, I have a few times in my life where I've picked up a virus whilst extremely lean and under high workloads and they have all been among the most rotten in my life. I have never been that lean again and I've allowed myself to stay around 70 kgs for a few years. I am so much healthier and my immune system is more resilient even under high workloads. So for me, it is the best of both worlds. My form is as good as ever and I am healthy too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveDDS wrote:

There is limited supply of Paxlovid (in my province and in many other jurisdictions I assume) so they are using it only for the patients that are immucompromised. Sucks that you have been sick for a month but I applaud your Dr. for doing so (assuming you are healthy).
Quote Reply

Prev Next