Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lennyk wrote:
No, I could be wrong but I suspect PerfPro is doing the power feedback control itself,
ie the PerfPro software is taking the power reading from your Ant power meter and jacking up the resistance on the kickr as necessary or lowering.

bostonalex wrote:
Got a link? As I understand it, once you've told the KICKR to use a diff. ANT ID, it sticks. So I wonder if I could use PerfPro to set the ID and then startup trainer road.

Hmm, I gotta try this. I think once the software has told the KICKR to use a different power meter, it simply stores that ANT ID. That's why you don't have to use the Wahooligan software every single time to tell the KICKR the ANT ID.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, do you use TrainerRoad as well? If so, can you try and see if the SRM is controlling the KICKR?

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the updates using Perfpro.

I believe Nate with TrainerRoad mentioned they were going to include this feature once Wahoo release the API. Now that Perfpro has it in an available public release beta I hope the folks at TR will be motivated to do the same regardless of Wahoo's timeline. This has been going on now for weeks and still pretty much public silence from Wahoo except some vague mentions that public release is coming soon to those who have asked through private email.

I am just grateful that I got the Wahooligan beta release while it was up for a short time. I am now at the point of trusting it enough that I can stop using the Garmin Edge as a backup while recording the session and just use the data recorded in TrainerRoad as my upload to WKO for tracking training.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wahoo beta works very well most of the time - usually hitting the target within 2 watts. This held true for last night's workout - that is until the final interval where it developed a mind of its own and ran about 6 watts high. Sure, that's still pretty close, but a little frustrating nonetheless considering it ran so close through the rest of the workout. There are times when 6 watts high might just make the interval too difficult to complete. I'm hoping TrainerRoad can come up with a better solution soon.

The power data below is from my Power2Max

Last edited by: cmeeks: Mar 4, 15 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cmeeks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmeeks wrote:
There are times when 6 watts high might just make the interval too difficult to complete. I'm hoping TrainerRoad can come up with a better solution soon.

That happened to me last week on the 3rd of a 4 x 8. And I already bumped the intensity down in TR because I went a bit too hard on the first two. On the third my Quarq was about 10 watts over while looking at the Edge compared the interval target. On the 4th it was back to acting normal and was closer to the TR interval target. I guess the thing thought I wasn't suffering enough. :-)

It has its moments, but for the most part the beta applied with power meter control has worked well.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, Guys:

Just a reminder, if you're gonna try my workaround, it's really important that you follow all the instructions very carefully. I knew a busted belt would always be a possibility, and that's why I included instructions to prevent this. Also, the adjustment is different if your Kickr is reading watts too low as opposed to too high.

I hesitated about posting the instructions because I didn't want to anger the guys at Wahoo (who seem great) or a user on this forum who messed up their machine. Still, the fix just works so well, I wanted to share my findings to help others with the same problem.

But, please, don't go turning that tension screw unless you're fairly mechanical and fully get how my "fix" works both in practice and in concept.

Also, I should note that I've only had to adjust the 2.5 mm screw and nothing else. It does appear that there's another bolt that may lock the position in, but again, that wasn't my experience. I don't really want to go back and take the cover off to confirm this, though, so use your own judgement.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cmeeks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmeeks wrote:
The wahoo beta works very well most of the time - usually hitting the target within 2 watts. This held true for last night's workout - that is until the final interval where it developed a mind of its own and ran about 6 watts high. Sure, that's still pretty close, but a little frustrating nonetheless considering it ran so close through the rest of the workout. There are times when 6 watts high might just make the interval too difficult to complete. I'm hoping TrainerRoad can come up with a better solution soon.

The power data below is from my Power2Max

I'm more impressed by the 4x8 at 336 :)
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had another ride with the Kick and PerfPro this morning.

Workout was 10x3 starting at around 105% then building up to 110% Power tracked right on target. My rest intervals were off a bit because i had to make some adjustments on a new saddle i was trying out

(the first interval i had the percentage up to high)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yatyas wrote:
Had another ride with the Kick and PerfPro this morning.

Workout was 10x3 starting at around 105% then building up to 110% Power tracked right on target. My rest intervals were off a bit because i had to make some adjustments on a new saddle i was trying out

(the first interval i had the percentage up to high)

Seems like it's working well. I think it's really sad that we have had to resort to "workarounds" rather than any real help from Wahoo.

I am using Krispy's belt tensioning fix and SRM. You are using Perf Pro to control the KICKR via your SRM.

What about all the people who think their numbers are accurate because they don't have an external PM to check that their KICKR is accurate? I was one of them... until I read these threads and put my SRM on my trainer bike. Shocker :)
Last edited by: Donzo98: Mar 5, 15 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

What about all the people who think their numbers are accurate because they don't have an external PM to check that their KICKR is accurate? I was one of them... until I read these threads and put my SRM on my trainer bike. Shocker :)

I've only been back on my Kickr since mid January after putting it away in March of 2014 to focus on running. BTW, I bought it in late 2013.

I haven't tested my kickr against my power meter since its on a different bike from what I have hooked up to the trainer. However, I feel that my heart rate is consistent with the numbers that it's showing. I'm just going to keep riding the thing until Wahoo speaks up.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FINALLY!!!! Something that works like it is suppose to. I followed up on a few threads about PerfPro being able to allow your power meter to control your Kickr and it works perfectly. For those that have not used PerfPro it is like Trainer Road on steroids. I downloaded PP (14 day free trial) and did the initial setup. In the setup, there is an option to allow the power meter to control the trainer (Kickr) that you select. PP detects all of your ANT+ devices and assigns them to the rider being setup. You can set up a custom data screen with all of the data that you want to watch during your workout (Target, Watts, HR, RPM, etc). Along with the usual data, PP lets you select your trainer (Kickr) watts and the trainer factor which is the adjustment factor that PP uses behind the scenes to adjust for the differences between your power meter and Kickr. In my case I have an SRM. Before PP, the Kickr would start out low for about 10 minutes, then it would be about even out to 30 minutes and then it would drift higher and higher so that by an hour into the workout it was 15 - 20 watts higher than my SRM. What a pain having to adjust TR for the wattage difference and run my Garmin just so I could collect correct data. With PerfPro, using my SRM to control the Kickr, the workouts are dead on to my Garmin readings. It just works.
Thanks Drew!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got an email stating that the new fix will go public monday!

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi
new to this but thought I'd share something maybe relevant and also ask a question.

Had a few exchanges with Wahoo support but now have got the new wahooligan beta running with Kickr and Stages. The red dot is no longer functional, instead there are two semi-circular green arrows next to where it shows you the kickr and bluetooth symbols to show connection status. Green arrows ok, red not.

By feel the power reading now seems right but then feel is not what riding with power is about. I'm not clear as to whether the wahoo is using the ANT+ or the bluetooth channel or both. Nor do I know if Stages will communicate on both channels together. What I'd like is to see Wahoo and a.n. other display of power side by side. Does anybody know if this can be done? Needs to be on the macbook not the iphone as that taken up by wahooligan. Imintervals doesn't want to play. I can get flashes of a reading out of the trainer road set up screen. I suppose this is as it tries to communicate "in the gaps" as it were. These readings are close enough to the wahooligan to be comforting but would be good to see a continuous reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Krispy2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Krispy2014 wrote:
Hey, Guys:

Just a reminder, if you're gonna try my workaround, it's really important that you follow all the instructions very carefully. I knew a busted belt would always be a possibility, and that's why I included instructions to prevent this. Also, the adjustment is different if your Kickr is reading watts too low as opposed to too high.

I hesitated about posting the instructions because I didn't want to anger the guys at Wahoo (who seem great) or a user on this forum who messed up their machine. Still, the fix just works so well, I wanted to share my findings to help others with the same problem.

But, please, don't go turning that tension screw unless you're fairly mechanical and fully get how my "fix" works both in practice and in concept.

Also, I should note that I've only had to adjust the 2.5 mm screw and nothing else. It does appear that there's another bolt that may lock the position in, but again, that wasn't my experience. I don't really want to go back and take the cover off to confirm this, though, so use your own judgement.

Thanks for help on this. I wanted to add that there is another bolt that locks the tension mechanism in place. You need to take cover off to access it. I found this out after trying to loosen the 2.5mm screw and found the belt not getting looser. You will only need to loosen it slightly to allow the tensioner to move fore and aft via the 2.5mm screw. Just wanted to share this in case anyone else had a similar issue. It is similar to a car belt tensioner (non-spring loaded).
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [johnnyyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but what fix?

some people's KICKRs work fine, others are 30-40 watts high. I wish they would get there stuff together.

johnnyyd wrote:
i got an email stating that the new fix will go public monday!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [johnnyyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on this public firmware update?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Krispy2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Krispy2014 wrote:
Any word on this public firmware update?

Yes, this! I didn't jump on the firmware update before it got pulled back and now this thread and the discussion in it are something of a massive tease.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firmware is not out yet but the updated Wahoo Fitness app is and the ANT+ control option is there. I just got it from the app store.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm I did not see any ant+ control option in my android wahoo fitness app,
are you using android or apple version ?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Firmware is not out yet but the updated Wahoo Fitness app is and the ANT+ control option is there. I just got it from the app store.

I got an update for Wahoo Fitness for my iPhone this morning, but the changelog made no mention about ANT+ control. Just new Nike+ features and bug fixes". Maybe the ANT+ control was included with the bug fixes.

Guess I'll have to see if there's a new firmware update using the Wahoo Utility app when I'm home tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple

lennyk wrote:
hmm I did not see any ant+ control option in my android wahoo fitness app,
are you using android or apple version ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see anything with the iOS app, either. There's a field for ANT+ ID, but it didn't seem selectable or that the purpose was to use that for an external power meter.

Maybe if I could get a reliable bluetooth connection to the KIckr I could experiment further, but tonight, my iPhone simply would not stay connected to the Kickr. Almost every time I tried to connect with the utility or fitness app, the Kickr wouldn't show up. I tried replugging everything in multiple times, relaunching the apps, toggling bluetooth, still, the same problem. On the rare occasions I got it to connect it wouldn't stay connected.

Not sure what's going on as I've been using my Kickr with a computer and Ant stick without issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the image showing the power meter option in the app. Not sure why I don't see that yet, but I'll play with it more tomorrow. Maybe I don't have the correct firmware on the Kickr. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good bluetooth connection to check.

So, hopefully now that Wahoo has enabled this in their app, Trainer Road, Zwift, etc. will be soon to follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a screen shot of mine.... I manually entered the ANT+ ID of my SRM that I found in TR.

Now... I have a few questions.

1. When I have this option selected... does the KICKR get controlled by my SRM all the time?

2. Does it matter if I have the Wahoo Fitness App open at all once the ANT+ ID is entered into the App and the appropriate boxes are checked to allow SRM control?

3. I have an ANT+ stick in my laptop (which is the way I have been running TR lately). I tunred the App off on my phone, and let TR read power from my SRM. It tracked nicely... but I honestly have no idea if it was being controlled by the SRM.

4. I have no ANT+ dongle on my phone... but when I entered the ANT+ ID into the Wahoo Fitness App... it definitely "saw" the SRM. Just wondering how the SRM can control the KICKR using the Wahoo Fitness App if there is no ANT+ dongle on the phone.

Geez... HELP ME!! LOL.

Quote Reply

Prev Next