Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Ty wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Thank God urine is sterile, you could drink it if you had to. Crazy fact for the day, there are greater than 1 million microorganisms in a gram of dirt; if you want a sterile changing environment, ain't gunna happen.

Good grief. You must have received your medical degree from dr. google. Urine. Sterile. Lol!

Even the healthiest of people have some bacteria in their urine. There is nothing "sterile" about urine.

Wrong again...the urine in your bladder is indeed sterile unless you have a UTI. You rinse the epithelia of your urethra when you urinate (that's a basic concept with regards to the innate immune system creating a barrier to infection if you have ever taken an immunology course), which would contribute to bacteria in the urine of an individual that does not have a UTI. That's why a mid-stream catch must be performed to properly diagnose a UTI by measuring bacteria in the urine.

If you want to play this game because you are an internet bully, go right ahead.

Internet bully lol. Because I dare to dispute your incorrect medical information? Surely you have a thicker skin than this? Better check your research and if that is what you consider bullying then so be it. Oh evidence based: pretty common knowledge that urine is not sterile. Yes, you can google it. But here you go:https://www.sciencenews.org/...and-neither-rest-you
Last edited by: Ty: Oct 8, 14 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also...in the spirit of full disclosure, I work with the OP B Bryant. We had about dozen guys from our hometown in the mens change tent, (we all signed up for IM Choo 2015 on Monday) . Probably half of us witnessed the event and in fact one our guys did the best he could to wash the urine down with water.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [MapleSyrupFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MapleSyrupFast wrote:
bbryant wrote:
Hey, I have never posted on slowtwitch before, although I read the forum fairly regularly, so in the interest of full disclosure, my name is XXXXXXXX, I use my salary as XXXXXXXXXXX to support my triathlon habit. Several members of my local club volunteered at Chattanooga and worked the Men's Change Tent in order to be able to sign up for next year.

Seriously buddy, that was not your smartest move. Judge or not. I would never have given out that much information. You might want to try to delete and censor as I have done when quoting you. Maybe PM slowman and try to get that deleted. Soon. Next time just say something like "I'm in a legal profession". I'm in a legal type profession and I never say what it is specifically because the internet and forums can burn you if you're not careful.

Slowman asked me to give some identifying information as I was a first time poster and I had made a specific allegation against a specific person, its only fair, and I agree, don't be a p*ssy and hide behind anonymity, .....so I did.

bb
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [bbryant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bbryant wrote:
MapleSyrupFast wrote:
bbryant wrote:
Hey, I have never posted on slowtwitch before, although I read the forum fairly regularly, so in the interest of full disclosure, my name is XXXXXXXX, I use my salary as XXXXXXXXXXX to support my triathlon habit. Several members of my local club volunteered at Chattanooga and worked the Men's Change Tent in order to be able to sign up for next year.

Seriously buddy, that was not your smartest move. Judge or not. I would never have given out that much information. You might want to try to delete and censor as I have done when quoting you. Maybe PM slowman and try to get that deleted. Soon. Next time just say something like "I'm in a legal profession". I'm in a legal type profession and I never say what it is specifically because the internet and forums can burn you if you're not careful.

Slowman asked me to give some identifying information as I was a first time poster and I had made a specific allegation against a specific person, its only fair, and I agree, don't be a p*ssy and hide behind anonymity, .....so I did.

Totally agree. However, you will undoubtedly upset some STer's who would prefer you hide behind a username so they can tirelessy search the internet and out who you are. Beat them to the punch...nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AmyCO wrote:
I see no problem whatsoever with the identifying information; it adds a tremendous amount of credibility to the description of an event that calls out for public shaming. How exactly will he be "burned" by demanding that professional triathletes adhere to minimal standards of decency? Plus, I'm a litigator and have quite a bit of experience appearing before U.S. magistrate judges; whatever negative statements may be made in this thread are really nothing compared to what he likely deals with on a daily basis.

Stay calm...I have no issue with anything he said other than using his real name and position. I'm also not the only one that had that feeling. So your question to me is null and void.

You're also probably on FBook right? Use your real name there too? How about Linkedin? Just checking. Get my drift?
Last edited by: MapleSyrupFast: Oct 8, 14 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer to think of it as voidable:)
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [Fat_Ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fat_Ironman wrote:
My wife worked women's changing tent at IMLP in 2011. One of the female race leaders sat down in chair and proceded to urinate. She then said "sorry ladies, this is the life of a pro triathlete". My wife took said chair outside and rinsed it off. But that didn't horrify her, she works in an ER at a level 1 trauma center, but what did?? The tampons....won't go into detail.

Seriously, I don't get the big deal. I was in the women's changing tent at Chattanooga and we had several pee incidents and...yea, we don't need to go into details with the tampons. We had some baby wipes, so we cleaned stuff up and moved on.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AmyCO wrote:
I prefer to think of it as voidable:)

uh oh, this thread is going downhill fast as the lawyers are now playing legalese jokes...
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [flowersofmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's the actual pee that's the *problem.* I think it's the way that it took place.

Personally, I wouldn't bat an eye at someone peeing on the swim, bike, run, or in transition... however I would think it was odd if they just stopped and whipped it out, went and then continued on their way. Just because it's an odd scenario at a tri. (I expect pro's to pee themselves on the move.)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MapleSyrupFast wrote:
AmyCO wrote:
I see no problem whatsoever with the identifying information; it adds a tremendous amount of credibility to the description of an event that calls out for public shaming. How exactly will he be "burned" by demanding that professional triathletes adhere to minimal standards of decency? Plus, I'm a litigator and have quite a bit of experience appearing before U.S. magistrate judges; whatever negative statements may be made in this thread are really nothing compared to what he likely deals with on a daily basis.

Stay calm...I have no issue with anything he said other than using his real name and position. I'm also not the only one that had that feeling. So your question to me is null and void.

You're also probably on FBook right? Use your real name there too? How about Linkedin? Just checking. Get my drift?

Judging from a quick google search of Barry, he's in an appointed position with likely zero accountability to anyone. I think he'll be just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the problem not that he or one person did it but if it is deemed OK and there is no penalty then everyone will do it? I can't begin to imagine how the hell you'll get volunteers for a changing tent if everyone that came in pee'd or even 200-300 say did. Sure in swim, bike or run that's a little different as it is spread across 140.6 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/arkansas-judge-fired-leaking-charlize-theron-adoption-details-n201391

From a previous poster. All the more reason not to give his identifying information. He could have Pm'd the admin or something. Either way, it's his issue I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche wrote:
I think some slack should be cut in this instance. He is racing and his brain is red-lined.

A pro that trains on average 20+ ours a week, 5-1/2 hours into a race, performed at a upper zone 2 intensity is redlined? Really?

I know I had a pretty clear mind as I pissed on the bike around mile 108 in my IM. Talking to others later... the same downhill was a common place to "relax" near the end of the ride.

That being said... given the nature of the pace line the pro's were in, peeing on the bike might have been a little challenging without falling back to the end of the line.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Ty wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Thank God urine is sterile, you could drink it if you had to. Crazy fact for the day, there are greater than 1 million microorganisms in a gram of dirt; if you want a sterile changing environment, ain't gunna happen.

Good grief. You must have received your medical degree from dr. google. Urine. Sterile. Lol!

Even the healthiest of people have some bacteria in their urine. There is nothing "sterile" about urine.

Wrong again...the urine in your bladder is indeed sterile unless you have a UTI. You rinse the epithelia of your urethra when you urinate (that's a basic concept with regards to the innate immune system creating a barrier to infection if you have ever taken an immunology course), which would contribute to bacteria in the urine of an individual that does not have a UTI. That's why a mid-stream catch must be performed to properly diagnose a UTI by measuring bacteria in the urine.

If you want to play this game because you are an internet bully, go right ahead.

I'm just going to leave this right here.

Urine is not sterile

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:
MapleSyrupFast wrote:
AmyCO wrote:

Judging from a quick google search of Barry, he's in an appointed position with likely zero accountability to anyone. I think he'll be just fine.

Magistrate judges are not article III and serve by appointment of the court within which they sit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:

Not true. Urine is a biohazard and is treated as such in any medical facility.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While spectating IM Wisconsin a couple years ago, I (and dozens of spectators and participants) witnessed an age grouper piss himslelf while walking out of Monona Terrace outside T2. All around him were porta loos - he could have walked a few steps and finished up in one of them. It was embarrasing to watch. I'm sure some of the athletes walked through it and it was done in the open, not behind the closed doors of a transition area.

IMO both guys should get some sort of warning or be talked to (a yellow card, like someone mentioned before). I don't think they should be fined, suspended, or disqualified. Its such a grueling race, their bodies are being tested to the limits, and these kind of things sometimes happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you about it being wrong to urinate in the changing tent, but there are cultures where such activity is a bit less of a taboo than it is here in the US:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from Kona 2013 changing tent

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Last edited by: Borden: Oct 8, 14 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of the T2 tent at Lake Placid in 2011 - the very hot year when wet suits were not allowed. The temps in the tent were sweltering and the team captain was pleading for all volunteers to wear gloves. Most were thinking it over because of the temps and how uncomfortable it would be. One of the first pros off the bike flew into the tent, sat down, pissed on the chair while changing, and was out of the tent in a matter of seconds.

Two things: 1) every volunteer immediately decided to wear gloves as we all witnessed the event. 2) None of the group (nearly all athletes working to register the next year) thought that behavior was odd in any way. Isn't that part of the WTC experience to provide a private gender-specific change tent? I'd hardly call that a public space - not like I could just waltz into the women's change tent and volunteer there. Plus, he is a pro - and I think most were OK at giving him a pass as this is his living and, for him, time really does matter.

I smiled at the innocence of the comment that no volunteer should have to work in such conditions - I guess you haven't considered T2 of an Ironman event before. Handling the shoes, socks, and bike pants of a few hundred racers who had recently pissed themselves multiple times is a rather humbling manner to earn your place in line to pay for next year's race ticket.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdventureRun wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Ty wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

I'm just going to leave this right here.

Urine is not sterile

FWIM... The study also showed that the levels are very low and bacteria has been found in many other human tissues at similar levels. So human are not at all sterile on the inside, anywhere. So maybe more accurately, urine is probably comparably or still has significantly lower bacteria levels than "clean" drinking water.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [sweathog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always laugh when I hear people wanting to sign up for wetsuit stripper. We call it the 1:20 min golden shower.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of one of the lines from Demetri Martin - 'jokes with a guitar' (a great 14 mins spent on youtube).

"There is a small but important difference between peeing in the pool & peeing into the pool"
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, it took less than three pages for ST to start turning on itself like a pack of dogs with one bone, and attacking the OP. Well played.

Oh, and urine isn't sterile. At any time.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were port-a-johns just a few steps outside of the changing tents. He would have had to have been blind to not know they were there since he would've already run past them once leaving the tent from the swim to bike. No excuse to pee in the changing tent. Disgusting and disrespectful.
Quote Reply

Prev Next