Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Thanks Gerard. I guess paraphrasing Mark Twain's famous quote might be appropriate:

"The report of my (company's) death is greatly exaggerated!" ;-)

Unfortunately, it appears that the confluence of the "share the ride" promotion and the PON announcement encouraged some folks (perhaps with an axe to grind?) to pop up and take some pot shots...

BTW, my impression of the sales of Cervelo at our local shop (a relatively small retailer) are that they are fairly healthy, even without any "share the ride" participation. In fact, I was in there yesterday and was told that they'd sold at least 5 to 6 S5's in the last week alone (none of them part of the promotion either).

It does not impress me that a bike shop "sold 5 to 6" of arguably the hottest road bike on the market right now in the week that includes Christmas. In fact, that seems a little disappointing to me.

Ummm...considering that it's, like I said, a SMALL shop (in a SMALL market), the owner is out of town, his lone employee has been managing the store by himself, AND they've only been open 3 days out of this week (as of yesterday when I popped in)...I'd say that was a pretty healthy rate. Especially considering, as I also said, none of those sales were the result of the "share the ride" promotion.

But, maybe that's just me...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerard, thanks for the update.

It is a sore point with me when ignorant people use statements like "buy (insert country here) products". We no longer have country companies for the most part. Most of these Companies are owned by many people and groups. And like you've explained with Cervelo, just because manufacturing is in Canada (well Quebec but everyone outside of Quebec figures they are in Canada /pinkoff), doesn't make them a Canadian Company when a majority of ownership is Dutch (or does it?)

In any case, nice to see your response.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just saying THX for posting this.

Happy New Year to all.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerard-
Wow, not the answer I was expecting. I really do appreciate industry leaders like you who are part of this and other forums and I certainly don't want to give the impression that I am "pouncing" or "attacking" when that is not my intention at all. However, given the informative, direct and possibly rough OP, I am surprised that you took a "pass" when asked about one of the more controversial aspects of the Cervelo buzz as of late. Like others here on this board, I want to know how the Share the Ride deal really affects the LBS. The LBS seems to be having a tough time swallowing this deal and I would like to know why. Is there any chance that another Cervelo rep could shed some light on this or maybe you could check and get back with us?
I was seriously considering getting back on the tri bike this summer and the P2 with the discount was too much to resist. Once inside the LBS, however, I came away with a less than favorable impression of the deal and the way Cervelo handled the promotion. I realize that I am nobody important, but I think that others out there are starting to come away with the same feelings. Seems like something that should be cleared up IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right.
That is a very impressive total.

http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerard, thanks for getting involved here. It's never good to let repeated rumor start to become fact! You should probably take it as a compliment that so many people were so concerned. Cervelo produces such good product that we've all got a lot to lose if something goes wrong, so plenty of people are going to reflexively jump to worst case scenarios. The S5 really changed the game with what road bikes a lot of people want to buy now, particularly with the outstanding price of the "entry level" model. Feel free to do the same with the P5 ;)

If possible, however, I too would be interested in a response on how "Share the Ride" impacts the bottom line of our local bike stores.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [cincytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Cincytri,

You are somebody important, you're a consumer, aren't you? But I don't think that I should be talking about something I don't know the details of right after I write about my disappointment with people talking about something they don't know the details of.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insider anecdotes. While I don't believe you really shared any new facts about the situation (which is part of the beauty of operating a privately held business) , I agree participation in this forum by you and other industry insiders is hugely beneficial to the community.

But surely you can understand how the public might come to the doom and gloom conclusions discussed here based the the limited information that was publicly available and the timing of the release of that information. Even those with the most basic understanding of corporate finance would likely connect the dots in such a way as to suggest the business is in distress (financially...obviously you have a powerful and loyal customer base and excellent, market-leading products).

That being said, there seemed to be a lot of people talking out of their proverbial asses...but hey, internet.
Last edited by: y-o-y: Dec 30, 11 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who are you again and what is your affiliation with Cervelo?
I am just kidding ;0)
One question though what kind of bike do you ride ?

Quote | Reply
If anything was rendered "obsolete" by cervelo, then cervelo would win races.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [Chuck Finley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuck Finley wrote:

can't tell if stupid, or a troll

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an owner of P4 and a P3C and ride a ton of miles on both, thank you for stepping in and setting the record straight..The trouble with forms is that anybody can say anything without any proof. Enough b/s and some will believe it without checking the facts. Yes I am a Cervelo man. I have owned many brands some good but not great like my P4 and P3C. Happy New Year looking forward to the P5
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:

can't tell if stupid, or a troll

Both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please bring back the S1/Soloist for the alloy dorks:)

I have had 3 Velo's, 4th is currently on it's way to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [cincytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cincytri wrote:
I want to know how the Share the Ride deal really affects the LBS.

I think Cervelo is under no obligation to explain the dynamics of their arrangement with their dealers to us customers.

And with all due respect, I find it a little tasteless to keep hounding them on this subject. If you are a retailer, there are other channels for taking it up with them than a consumer-centric forum.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Last edited by: guadzilla: Dec 30, 11 11:19
Quote Reply
Post deleted by japarker24 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It took Specialized 4 years to develop the Venge, a bike which according to their own people was slightly less aero than the Cervelo S3 it was measured against. And then after 2 months it was rendered obsolete by the S5.

Enough said.

Long live Cervelo!!!!!!!!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a Cervelo :-)

Seriously though, I ride an R5vwd and I have an S2. And lately I have been mountain biking as well.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gerard wrote:

Seriously though, I ride an R5vwd and I have an S2. And lately I have been mountain biking as well.

I know where you can pick up a cervelo mtb

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please make a mountain bike. That would be awesome. I'll even test ride/race it in xterra's and cross country races for you and give you feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gerard wrote:

So you're saying Cervelo has an unreleased mountain bike ;)

Keep up the good work over there. I also wanted to thank you for doing everyone right on the 2009 p4 issues, You guys sent me a brand new 2011 with zero hassle and its all built up ready to go for next season. Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny guy. When I'm back home I'll take a photo of my mountainbike to dispel any rumors.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerard,

I've already got a pic.

PON needs to bring the aero MTB to production.

Love the Lefty and Mavic CrossMax SLR wheels.

http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com
Last edited by: AustinTriCyclst: Dec 30, 11 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo - actual facts [Chuck Finley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuck Finley wrote:

Like the 70.3 champs? We do know what the Vegas/Kona champ rode when he chose a bike absent sponsorship considerations...
Quote Reply

Prev Next