Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is Cam talking on the Bicycling Australia podcast during the rest day of the Vuelta this week. It will give people a lot more info about him and his transition from cycling to tri and back than most people have seen or heard.

i will admit that I was overloaded with staying up all night here in Oz watching the cycling for the last few weeks and had stopped watching but after listening to this I'll be back at it again..Those guys are just nuts!
http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/news/team-ineos-rider-cameron-wurf-joins-patrick-jonker-on-bicycling-australia-podcast?fbclid=IwAR1-Qrlv_kFOeq8PQEo41QMF0u4A1SEte-2jq4vx_YQ_4yIuaKzAW6gWjJk
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Oct 28, 20 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we know Cam's contract duration with Ineos and if it goes on next year too in the lead up to a potential Kona 2021. Hawaii is allowing people in with a Covid19 test now, so that's a good start to enable travel there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Do we know Cam's contract duration with Ineos and if it goes on next year too in the lead up to a potential Kona 2021. Hawaii is allowing people in with a Covid19 test now, so that's a good start to enable travel there

If Cam is required for service on the road he will race with the Ineos team until probably after next years TdF at which time he will focus on Kona.He does not believe he needs to race a tri season to be ready for Kona and is quite prepared for Kona 2021 to be his first Ironman since Kona 2019.Apparently his deal with Ineos has always been his being an Ironman first and team rider second, it is just that this year is so screwed up that they have run low on numbers to make up their teams with the Grand Tour overlaps and the stacked "Classics".
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Oct 29, 20 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every day I've put Eurosport on this week to catch the Vuetla coverage the first face I've seen is Cameron Wurf.... and now riding to protect the leaders jersey too. Stuff of dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Red Baron wrote:
Every day I've put Eurosport on this week to catch the Vuetla coverage the first face I've seen is Cameron Wurf.... and now riding to protect the leaders jersey too. Stuff of dreams.
Yeah,it was great to listen to Cam talk about how he dosen't want to think about it all too much because he really can't believe that he is actually there riding this thing and trying to help the team win it.He does sound like a kid on Christmas morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
The Red Baron wrote:

Yeah,it was great to listen to Cam talk about how he dosen't want to think about it all too much because he really can't believe that he is actually there riding this thing and trying to help the team win it.He does sound like a kid on Christmas morning.

Haha...three years ago this is what he did at Kona riding at the front to help Lionel win it, but Lionel let Lange blow by. Hopefully Carapez delivers over Roglic for Cam. I am not sure who in the GC I am cheering for right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not following closely, but the Spanish TV commentator just said that Cameron leading the peloton was a signal that they were not going too fast. Pedro Delgado and purito Fernandez didn't dispute so I guess this is the general feeling about his current status.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
I am not following closely, but the Spanish TV commentator just said that Cameron leading the peloton was a signal that they were not going too fast. Pedro Delgado and purito Fernandez didn't dispute so I guess this is the general feeling about his current status.

Haha, the commentators may also not know what they are talking about since Cameron was out front working at the front of the train on several of the Northern Classics this year already. So if that qualifies as "not going fast" then fine, but tell that to Van Aert and Van Der Poel that the pace was slack in some of those races :-). If it is to downplay the level of cycling at triathlon, then Jen Voigt is welcome to join Lionel for a swim and a run, then after that they can both hit the track for an hour. Or Jens can and Lionel can just get on the track fresh and pound it out in a 1 hour pursuit. My gut feel is Lionel catches Jens in 15 minutes (but that would be a fun race to watch with the two guys 8.5 seconds in the draft of the other). And Cam is faster than Lionel in triathlons (although he may or may not be faster than Lionel fresh over 1 hour)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun thing is that Jens is actually commentating the Vuelta for the German Eurosport. He respects Wurf though.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Jens make jokes all the time and add insider experiences? That would be great to see

Cyclists might have laughed when Wurf crossed over to tri at 34 and started handing it to career pros but at least hes doing it back to pro cycling now 3 years later
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Does Jens make jokes all the time and add insider experiences? That would be great to see

Cyclists might have laughed when Wurf crossed over to tri at 34 and started handing it to career pros but at least hes doing it back to pro cycling now 3 years later

Now he will convince Froome to do Ironman after he retires and turns 40 and a bunch of 40-44's will start crying that Froome is taking their KQ slots LOL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Haha...three years ago this is what he did at Kona riding at the front to help Lionel win it, but Lionel let Lange blow by. Hopefully Carapez delivers over Roglic for Cam. I am not sure who in the GC I am cheering for right now.

Interesting choice of words. Lange blew by everyone on the run
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:

They weren't going too fast. Wurf's job is to keep the break manageable, not to cause any damage in the peloton.

And he did his part there, keeping the Soler break under control.

It's the rest of Ineos that almost instantly disappeared once the race was "on." (Outside of Carapaz, who held his own, on his own).
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats better than being excited to be invited to the vuelta but your role turns out to slow down the peloton if your guy gets away in a breakaway
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Nov 1, 20 2:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well today he's *in* the break, which I find a bit odd because he's never been much of climber. But maybe the theory is if he spends more effort early he'll be able to slip backward on the penultimate climb and last longer into the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha....Cam hammering at the front of the break on Alto de Mozqueta like he is trying gap Jan and Alistair going up to Hawi. And this is on an 7 km 8% grade which a 50% Alpe d'Huez equivalent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Haha....Cam hammering at the front of the break on Alto de Mozqueta like he is trying gap Jan and Alistair going up to Hawi. And this is on an 7 km 8% grade which a 50% Alpe d'Huez equivalent.

Not hammering. This is just tempo. The break lost time to the one Jumbo-Visma guy setting tempo for the peloton.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 1, 20 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom line Cam should arrive at bottom of Angliru with the lead group. He picked a good year to be doing a pro sport that can actually happen without mass participation.

Edit: Movistar has gap down to 1:30 on Alto de la Mozqueta....one more climb in between to get to Angliru. It will be tough for th breakaway to stay away.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 1, 20 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [jondavid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and his doing great. His in the break today and all.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [MarcusT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The breakaway broke apart. Cam ended in the second group, but I have seen him driving hard to pull it back. Looks like they are around 5-8 second back of the lead group with Guillaume Martin. Peloton chasing hard to pull it all back through as Movistar wants one of their guys winning on Angliru
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Not hammering. This is just tempo. The break lost time to the one Jumbo-Visma guy setting tempo for the peloton.

Cam can go go do some jogging at the top of Angliru to cool down to make people on this thread happy that he is not getting out of shape for Kona 2021

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Thats better than being excited to be invited to the vuelta but your role turns out to slow down the peloton if your guy gets away in a breakaway

Did you not see stage 7 when there was a huge breakaway group of 40 riders with every team represented except Ineos? And Ineos had the red jersey to protect. So, every team in the break was motivated to drive the break and, conversely, no team in the peloton would work to help Ineos. So, it was Wurf + 3 who were left alone that to fight against a break of 40 and keep Carapaz in red. Which they did. Wurf earned his salary that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I meant, its impressive riding when its 3 or 4 riders versus a motivated pack of 40 pros who are probably taking turns leading.

thats more satisfying than situations like when lance had come out of retirement and instead of racing, had to stay back from contador/astana breakaways to backpedal and block wiggins/garmin
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Nov 1, 20 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Cam Wurf STRAVA for the Vuelta TT (Stage 13) :
https://www.strava.com/.../4283941533/overview

The flat portion (31km) is 380w average.
The steep portion (2km) is 400w average.

Not bad, in line with FTP around 380/400w, a bit better than figures published from mid 2018.

Approx same time as Froome. I guess Froome is slowly getting back on track after his huge accident. Seems now the basics came back, hopefully the top end will come back next spring :-)

Both are 5mn down the winner. Cam is probably a bit heavy for the last part, and would have needed more than 400w in the steep final part, but don't think he went too far in suffering and, hey, he is a triathlete, not a puncher.... thank god for a low VLAMAX :-)

I very much like Cam transparency, always publishing watt figures. It was interesting to look at his training with Froome and the others, in Andorra before Vuelta. They had some nice "lactate handling" sessions up some climbs :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing is neither Cam or Froome had any incentive to go harder than necessary to beat the cut off in the TT so these numbers are kind of irrelevant.
They'll have been preserving as much in the tank for the last week as possible.

Checkout Froome's heart rate for those sort of watts!

Last edited by: The Red Baron: Nov 5, 20 2:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next