Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty sick!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [travelflyboat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted this in the classified but I figured this would be ok to post here as well if not I can remove it. I'm having a really hard time finding a low far stem for the SC gen 2.Does anyone have one they are looking to sell or trade for my low near stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [abetances15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at getting a Speed Concept, but can't do the monospacer due to a 2" shorter left humerus. Anyone know if it's possible to order one up with the older basebar so I can independently adjust the aerobars and pads? Or will I be stuck getting that stuff on my own?

And...since I'm here asking questions: My current reach and stack are 477 and 645 (to my long arm), currently on a 2010 P2 sz 56. After looking through the size charts it looks like my best fit would be a medium frame with a medium-far stem. My instincts tell me I'm more of a large though and isn't it more conventional to size up now?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of easy things off the bat. It is current wisdom to size up these days. The mk1 bars don't fit.

On Project One, you should be able to spec the adjustable extensions. These allow any* 22.2mm ends to be used. They don't tackle stack independently, so you'd be putting spacers on one side. In this regard the Mk1 would be a lot better. In all others the mk2 (current) is an improvement.

I'll have a look at the fit coordinates when I get moment.

Does that help?

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply! What does mk1 and mk2 refer to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mk1- the old one with seperate risers
Mk2 - the one with monospacer riser.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like the new SC won't work for you. The only think you will be able to adjust independent of the other side is reach and that will still be limited to 30-40mm of difference. If you need more/less reach than that compared to the other side, you'll need the first gen SC.

The first gen SC base bar and front end won't work on the new SC.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Speed Concept. Picked it up this week. Fit is pretty close, but waiting on a Trek to release some more LowFar stems. They have none in nationwide and no ETA at moment. Race wheels will be Enve 6.7s with Chris King hubs. Just need to have them converted to 11spd.

Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
It sounds like the new SC won't work for you. The only think you will be able to adjust independent of the other side is reach and that will still be limited to 30-40mm of difference. If you need more/less reach than that compared to the other side, you'll need the first gen SC.

The first gen SC base bar and front end won't work on the new SC.

Not even with the Mono Bar Extension Bar with a Zipp EVO 110 on the "short" side and the pad pedastalled up? I know that's not ideal, but I've done worse in the past before riser kits were produced. The reasons I'm trying to make this work are that a) I love the bike, and b) The team deals I can get for a tri bike are from Trek and Cannondale. Should I hold out for the Super Slice...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you need one arm pad to be higher than the other right? If so, the new sc won't work. The monospacers effect stack on both sides. Unlike the old bike, there's no way built in to vary stack and reach (to the pad) independent of each side.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whilst not ideal, and depending on quite how much offset you need, you could get a spacer made and use longer bolts of the one side. This would go between the pad wing and the arm pad itself.

Size it up with washers then machine/3D/hack a suitable block. I'd have a chat with your friendly neighbourhood shop mechanic. Most would love a little project like this.

ETA: forgot to mention need to add custom extensions to suit too.

Last edited by: SkippyKitten: Aug 4, 17 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree not ideal, but seems doable. I've done some welding and grinding on some Syntace and Vision risers in the past, enjoyed the tinkering! The whole separation of my shoulder in 7th grade was the most not ideal part! Makes fitting a bike (any type) damn hard!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all, can anyone tell me, are the gen 2 arm rests a different shape than gen 1?
I just bought a set of cee gee replacement pads for my gen1 bike, they arrived and the package says trek speed concept, but the shape of the pads don't really match the cups that well.... :(
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a gen 1 9-Series? If so, you need these:

https://www.ceegees.com/product/?product_id=122

• Fits: Older BONTRAGER Race Lite Series Aerobars prior to 2014 (if your not sure consult the photo's and dimensions or email us a photo of your current pads for clarification), and TREK SPEED CONCEPT 9 Series 2010-2015 TREK SPEED 2012 Series 7.8 ***NOTE: Trek Speed Concepts makes 3 different forearm rests at this time: The Cushy's for Trek Speed Concept and Bontrager Race X are the same shape, but the Bontrager Race X is larger and is the pad that is on the current RCL models after 2015. The Cushy's for Bontrager Race Lite have a different shape than the other two. Our measurements are provided as guidelines.

I have these for my 2011 9.5.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they've since told me that buy choosing 'Trek Speed Concept' on their website, I ordered the wrong pads for my Trek Speed Concept.....
And since I opened the package, they'd have to charge me a restocking fee to exchange them, plus the postage from Canada back to them, then I'm sure more postage for the new set from them.

Wonderful. That said, I'll just make due with the ones I got. They 'work', they just don't cover the whole arm rest...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had repeated problems with the headset/fork? I have a 2011 9.5. The fork started cracking and was replaced by Trek a couple years ago. It seemed consistent with forks that have cracked from other first run 9 series bikes (like this, in fact, same color scheme as mine). I'm thankful for Trek's warranty department and my LBS going to bat for me. However, fast forward a couple of years, and the replacement fork is starting to crack. This time it's right at the bottom edge of where the fork connects to the frame. It's very small, but on both sides of the fork. Has anyone else had this issue?

The steering also gets notched pretty regularly. I've had the bearings replaced once or twice, my LBS has said it's more or less fine, just annoying. I hadn't really thought much of it, until the latest cracks on the fork showed up. I know there's not much to go on here, but any thoughts on if these two things are related? I trust my LBS, but they are mainly road bike guys. They sell 1 or 2 tri bikes a year, so it's just not their specialty.

I've snagged a replacement fork off of ebay, that miraculously showed up at the right time for me. Other than that, I mean my options are pretty limited. The bike just seems to eat forks regularly. With more or less no support at this point from Trek and odds of finding another fork on ebay pretty slim, just interested to see if there's something I can do to prevent this from happening again. Anything I should ask my LBS to look for specifically or double check while their putting the new fork on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you've had woes. I've not seen the fork cracking issue myself, or with other SCs I've worked on.

The bearings are a bit on the small side but that's what happens when you've got a narrow head tube. The only thing I would suggest is careful checking for alignment of the 'steerer' , installation of the bearings and preloading. It's the same as a road bike, just a bit more finicky.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is a 2011 SC9 as well. I have gone through a few of the stems, but knock on wood, so far the fork hasn't cracked. I did replace the headset bearings for the first time ever about 3 months ago, and they were literally disintegrated, but came out and new ones pressed in easily.
My only complaint about the frameset (not including the stems that crack) is my BB shell no longer holds the standard size bearing, which I guess is a known manufacturing defect, but they won't replace the frame for that. Have to use an oversized bearing.
I miss the old screw in outboard BB's... :(
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2014 SC 7.0. In installing the 6770 Di2 FD do I need to install a frame protector pad? The braze on bracket extends far enough that I think I don't need to. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having to cast my mind back now... I'm fairly sure the mech hanger is designed to be a suitable base without the pad.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to pick up replacement headset bearings for my 2G Speend Concept. I found the Trek part numbers in the Service Manual, but I want to know the generic bearing type so I can order online. Anyone have an idea? Thanks,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Issue [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,
My apologies if this has already been discussed under this forum: I have a 2016 SC 9.9 and I am having repeated problems with my top cradle bolts shearing (bolts that hold the mono-extension to the stem). I have had 6 bolts shear and replaced them each time with Trek bolts from their bolt kit. The last two times, the bolts were replaced by a Trek dealer so I felt very confident everything was done correctly. They are always torqued to spec. If anyone has any information about this (my last phone call to Trek was not helpful), I would be very grateful.
Thank you!
Nicole
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Issue [NinTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are talking about the two bolts on the mono extension that attach to the stem with the t-nuts right?

I've had one shear off on me. Replaced it myself as well as the t-nut. Have you replaced the t-nuts? How rusty are the screws when they have sheared off?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Issue [NinTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also curious to know how rusted they were. Also, how was the torque spec checked? That's a part you definitely don't want to have shear.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Issue [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, thanks: no rust at all on either the bolts or the t-nuts. I did replace t-nuts at the same time as the bolts. Yes, these are the two bolts that hold the mono-extension down with the cradle under the extension. I used a torque wrench to check the torque on the bolts and they were spot on at 5 Nm. EDIT: this should read "7Nm".
Thanks!
Nicole
Last edited by: NinTX: Aug 21, 17 12:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next