Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bicycle recommendation for 7yo?
Quote | Reply
Daughter has one of the Woom bicycles but she’s outgrown it, so wanted to see if anybody has any other recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [dbg0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbg0 wrote:
Daughter has one of the Woom bicycles but she’s outgrown it, so wanted to see if anybody has any other recommendations?

Woom’s are great bikes, and they make larger models for her. If she’s a taller 7 year old, the Woom 5, would probably the size for her. We have experience with both their Woom 5 and 6 bikes and have been very happy with them. A used Isla is also an option, but much harder to find,
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you are. But if you can get Isla Bikes where you are, they're great for kids. Lots of careful details like thinner grips, brakes a kid can actually reach and pull, short cranks, etc etc.
And hold a good resale value once grown out of as a result.

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbg0 wrote:

I researched a bunch of kid's bikes for my grandson last winter. I looked at Woom, Spawn and Trailcraft. I ended up buying him a Trailcraft. Really nice bike but they aren't cheap. The people at Trailcraft were a pleasure to work with.

Part of the reason I went with Trailcraft was availability. I don't know if the supply chain has improved but there wasn't much available at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m going thru the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d add Prevelo and Early Rider to the list of brands mentioned. We’ve had and Early Rider, a Prevelo, and an Islabike and been happy with them all…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We got this one for our son who is now 6 (though big for his age): https://www.rei.com/...speed-plus-kids-bike

Got it before pandemic and inflation prices kicked in. We paid around $220 for it. But it's super nice and should last until he's a teenager.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
We got this one for our son who is now 6 (though big for his age): https://www.rei.com/...speed-plus-kids-bike

Got it before pandemic and inflation prices kicked in. We paid around $220 for it. But it's super nice and should last until he's a teenager.

I got the same REI bike for my son in a size 24 two years ago when he was almost 7. He's been very happy with it. Now my daughter, who turns 6 next months wants a 'gear bike' too. I'd love to get her something that will last many years - she's tall for her age, but not sure if a 24 might be too big initially.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vitus sells a kid's bike that's pretty light and instead of the very hard to rotate twist grip shifters has trigger shifters. Our youngest couldn't rotate the grip shifters.

Otherwise, if you can get them into a wheel/tire size that maybe has some "commuter" faster tires it helps them a lot going a bit faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go to Walmart, Target or the local flea market

She just wants to get around and doesn't need to impress anyone with a high-end bike

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your intent and price range? Ride around the neighborhood or intro to mtn biking?

My 9 year old daughter has a Specialized Riprock, bought it used for $~350, retails for $700. I probably could of gotten something a bit more basic since she hasn't completely caught onto mountain biking but enjoys paved trails and will go 7-9 miles at a time.

There are some expensive bikes out there, but I'd say look to see what you can find used. Kids outgrow bikes fast and finding a good used kids bike shouldn't be too hard.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Aug 15, 22 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
What is your intent and price range? Ride around the neighborhood or intro to mtn biking?

My 9 year old daughter has a Specialized Riprock, bought it used for $~350, retails for $700. I probably could of gotten something a bit more basic since she hasn't completely caught onto mountain biking but enjoys paved trails and will go 7-9 miles at a time.

There is a bike brand out there, I forget the name (edit to add Trailcraft), but it has kids bikes with adult components and retail for $1k-$2k. A bit steep for a kids bike in my opinion but hey everyone's different and its their money. The biggest thing you want to look at is weight, the weight ratio on a kid:bike is way different than an adult:bike. So lighter the better.

I think you're talking about Trailcraft. This is what I bought my grandson for Christmas. He is MTB racing so it's for a little more than around the neighborhood.

It was just under 2k. I realize it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a 6 year old. He loves it and it should hold it's resale value really well. What good is having resources if I can't use them to spoil a grandchild?

Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, edited my post a bit before you responded. Good for him racing. My daughter hasn't gotten the drive yet to race. To her at this point all riding is at a casual pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Isla Bikes, light weight, well built and a sensible hybrid design. My daughter who is 6 rides and Isla bike and has never had any issues. We looked at the Trek Wahoo as well, but the tyres were too big and bulky.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Vitus sells a kid's bike that's pretty light and instead of the very hard to rotate twist grip shifters has trigger shifters. Our youngest couldn't rotate the grip shifters.

Otherwise, if you can get them into a wheel/tire size that maybe has some "commuter" faster tires it helps them a lot going a bit faster.

We bought a Vitus 20 for our daughter on her 5th birthday. The AL frame, non-suspension fork and trigger shifters were my requirements at that time. My only beef is the cantilever brakes; they're impossible to keep from rubbing.

Giant and Trek has similar bikes in a 20" bike, but they were impossible to find i a store and showed out of stock at the warehouse at the time.

She turns 7 this fall and we're considering the Vitus 24 and Trek Wahoo 24 since the hybrid bike for riding MUPs and commuting to school is working really well for her.

For the OP, at age 7, you need to start considering what kind of riding your child is going to do. With 24" wheels, manufactures are stating to make drop-bar road and dedicated mountain bikes to go along with hybrid style bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Just go to Walmart, Target or the local flea market

She just wants to get around and doesn't need to impress anyone with a high-end bike

It’s not necessarily about impressing anyone, but the weight difference between the different bikes is incredible. Depending on the kid and what they are doing, it can definitely affect how much they might enjoy riding and what kind of riding they can do.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what they tell you/sell you anyway

To be fair, I don't know any kids who haven't grown up on beaters, so you might be right [I can ask my brother in Haddonfield what the rich kids are riding these days]

Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switched to Woom for the weight savings. Our tiny 8 year old boy moved from a Trek Precaliber 16 to Woom 4. There's a huge difference size wise but the weight is the same. He now rides with me up to 5 miles each time to the creek or just ride around while I have the 5 year old in front of my hardtail on a Shotgun Seat. So yeah Woom all the way, I'm crossing my fingers and wish that he picks it up as a lifestyle and I would only get lightweight bikes for him going forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I guess I better switch their skis to a pair of 2x4s and some twine or maybe duct tape then too…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a MTB and aren't going to spend a lot ($1500+), then I would get a bike without a suspension fork. The cheap ones are just added weight with little functionality. My kids, 7 and 9, are on a Trek Wahoo and Cleary Owl, both were in the $500 range (new) and happy with both. I did put slightly wider tires on the owl since my son like riding trails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
That's what they tell you/sell you anyway

To be fair, I don't know any kids who haven't grown up on beaters, so you might be right [I can ask my brother in Haddonfield what the rich kids are riding these days]

If it's a bike to ride to their friends house, it doesn't make a difference.
If it's a bike for a small cyclist, then it completely changes their interaction with the sport.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my daughter was around 8, we bought a pinarello road bike that was awesome. Don’t know if other companies make that size road bike, but she did many tris and dus on that until she was big enough for a women’s bike. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:
When my daughter was around 8, we bought a pinarello road bike that was awesome. Don’t know if other companies make that size road bike, but she did many tris and dus on that until she was big enough for a women’s bike. Good luck!

At 8? You people live in a totally different world from me; sorry to interrupt

Carry on, spend your money [clearly, you have plenty] and I'll not bother you again

I dunno how to post pix from FB to ST, but here's my kid when she was 10

https://www.facebook.com/...930686791&type=3

Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle recommendation for 7yo? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
If it's a bike for a small cyclist, then it completely changes their interaction with the sport.

"We spent A LOT of money on that bike, and you're damn well gonna RIDE it!!!"

I've been through that with field hockey; she wanted to, we bought all the gear, but it didn't take

Last edited by: RandMart: Aug 16, 22 18:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was still making bikes for kids I would have suggested Culprit junior range. but we only have 2nd hand bikes floating around. weight and right fit are important especially at such a young age

I had my kids ride 12 km on a flat bike path while I ran, 7 yr old daughter on 1x 11 (prob 2k retail) and son on 1x belt drive 16 inch wheel bike. but still a high end, 500 USD kids bike.

I know we think it's a lot to spend on kids bikes but I can honestly tell you. the cost to make a good alloy frame for kids is the same for kids or adults. Just because its smaller didn't require any less work welding, etc.

I spoil my kids a bit since I'm in the industry. My daughter is on a prototype 20 inch Junior 1 that we never put into production with di2 XT rear and STI, and xt secondary shifters..... I found the biggest issue is shifting. My daughter has no issues now with di2.

I am waiting on the new x cell shifters to come out and will build my son a 20 inch bike and we are building up a full suspension 24 inch mtb for my daughter....

so, if you want your kid to really enjoy the sport, don't skimp. If your bike cost 5-10K. spending 400-1k for your kid to have a light, high quality bike to enjoy to get into the sport we love is a small investment to pay.

I
Quote Reply

Prev Next