Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Tri Cockpit
Quote | Reply
I’m building up a budget TT bike and need to upgrade my aerobars. I don’t need a whole lot of adjustability, I ride low and long, but am looking for speed and looks of course. Tririg alpha X (used) are at the top of my list, but at around $500 they’d cost more than my bike! Are they worth it? What other cockpits should I be looking at? FYI, the bike is a cervelo P3 (aluminum), and I will definitely be getting Tririg brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [dhoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you have now and why do you want to upgrade? If you have the vision aerobars that came on that bike...they are pretty good budget bars. A step up might be Felt Bayonet 3 (what comes on the IA). If your max is $500 then you're pretty limited in new, but the PD Aeria alloy version might be an option if you find a decent deal.

Unfortunately...you should have picked up a new Alpha X or One + f/r Omegas during the BF sale
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a used one in classified.. new one there now for 500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig is your first and last stop. Industry leading aftermarket products.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rarely buy anything new...too much gently used stuff out there. I think my current base bar is an Easton, not round but not very aero. Eric, I was kind of hoping someone would say that about the Tririg!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Zipp Vuka base bar and zipp alumina extensions. Both can be found used and relatively cost effective. Plus, will help you keep the long and low cockpit on a budget.

https://www.ebay.com/...5211ef27a2:rk:4:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/...H_ItemCondition=3000

No affiliation.....just wanted to show some examples of cost effectiveness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just installed the Alpha X and am quite happy with how it turned out. I was on the Bayonet 3 before and never had any major complaints. Just wanted to clean up the front end of the bike. It's pretty substantial how much more I like these bars. The ergo cups are great so far. Pretty decent adjustability. Pretty easy install. Light. Easy to hide cables and wires. Just overall happy with the bar.

I do have the Bayonet 3 for sale pretty cheap if you want that though, haha. But I would never recommend over getting the Alpha X if you are willing to spend the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhoose wrote:
I’m building up a budget TT bike and need to upgrade my aerobars. I don’t need a whole lot of adjustability, I ride low and long, but am looking for speed and looks of course. Tririg alpha X (used) are at the top of my list, but at around $500 they’d cost more than my bike! Are they worth it? What other cockpits should I be looking at? FYI, the bike is a cervelo P3 (aluminum), and I will definitely be getting Tririg brakes.

Bontrager RXLs are a great bet if you can find them. I have them on one of my tri bikes. My primary bike has the Alpha X--

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventus II LTD are up there with the Alpha X, too
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Ventus II. Love them. Sexiest bar ever made.
However, the adjustability is pretty bad. No where near the huge fitment range of the Alpha X with tilt kit.

I’m doing a lot of custom work to get my Ventus to fit well. I would have swapped them out for a different bar a while ago, but I can’t get rid of such a sexy bar.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I have the Ventus II. Love them. Sexiest bar ever made.
However, the adjustability is pretty bad. No where near the huge fitment range of the Alpha X with tilt kit.

I’m doing a lot of custom work to get my Ventus to fit well. I would have swapped them out for a different bar a while ago, but I can’t get rid of such a sexy bar.

Not true. I got a set of the 10/20mm Zaura riser kit and it mates up perfectly. The adjustable 3T comfort cradles also use the same spacing as the Ventus cradle.

So with that in mind, there is as much stack and reach adjustment as other bars . What are you trying to do that requires custom work?
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Dec 11, 18 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you can use risers to raise stack. That part is perfectly fine.

But the stock comfort cradle pads do not have any fore/aft adjustment, so you are stuck on reach. And I’ve tried using aftermarket arm cups, but the Ventus arm pad mounts are tilted outwards, so any aftermarket pad would slope outwards.

Also, the Ventus does not have any tilt adjustment.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give you tilt (easy fix with Wattshop cradles, though) but the new 3T comfort cradles I mentioned have reach adjustments and their curvature accommodates the angled mount:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’ve tried those Vola arm rests, and you get the reach adjustment, but the outward slope removes the outer edge of the arm rest from cupping up higher on your forearms.
It becomes a bit of a preference thing at that point: I like having more of a “outer wall” of the arm cups to keep my elbows braced and locked narrow.

All this said, I still have no intentions of selling my Ventus.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh, wires and cables everywhere. NO excuse to not cut the cord on the mouse.
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Dec 12, 18 3:24
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:

I prefer mechanical shifting, so that's an excuse. No way to cut or hide that cord
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Xing triathlete wrote:

I prefer mechanical shifting, so that's an excuse. No way to cut or hide that cord
That's not an excuse, it's a reason. Ignorant comment by Xing.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Xing triathlete wrote:

Well....I agree on the mechanical shifters. But, no one needs a wired mouse!

https://www.amazon.com/...less+mouse&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Xing triathlete wrote:

You can take my wired mouse and keyboard from my cold dead hands. Love my wired mouse.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

As a PC gamer, I completely disagree with that. Mouse latency matters in online gaming!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Zwifting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't realize he literally meant the mouse. haha

Not spending $10 when you already have a mouse laying around is a fine reason. I just use it to scroll through papers while I have TrainerRoad running on easy days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Integrated cockpits like Tririg and Ventus look very slick but also limit adjustability as you are stuck with Stem length/angle. Just something to think about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhoose wrote:

You said your bike is less than $500 and want a budget build up. I think people are giving you wrong answers. There are so many nice bars, but not realistic and too expensive. I have this on my bike and I'm pretty happy about it.

Profile Design Svet Zero
https://profile-design.com/collections/base-bars/products/svet-zero-1

It came with aluminum aero bars, so later I got these on eBay used and replaced.
https://profile-design.com/collections/carbon-aerobars/products/t2-carbon
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Cockpit [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bring up a great point. I’ve been having this internal debate with the direction I want to take this bike. On one hand, I got a complete bike for $500 and there so many gentle used, cheap aero goodies that would keep it in the “budget” category. Buying a Tririg Alpha cockpit doesn’t really fit the budget idea. On the other, I think it’d be sweet to make a 15 year old “superbike.” Kind if like how people take old muscle cars and put updated suspension, engines, etc...it’s called restomod, restoration + modification. Maybe that’s the question I should have asked?!?!?
Quote Reply

Prev Next