Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jocelyn- Like everyone else has said awesome race! Not only are you using a lot of liquid Kcal on the bike but it looks like you went through 9 bottles in less than 4:45. Do you have a high volume of sweat/Na loss? And can you speak to how you realistically train outdoors with those caloric needs on the bike? I'm trying to hyperconcentrate calories in my bottles too but I either have to stop at a gas station every 90 minutes to dilute the mixture or just hyperconcentrate the osmolality. What's your training approach? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jocelyn, no real questions, just wanted to say congrats on an awesome performance!

Personally, I have to say that the time I was able to train with you in TX last September was motivating and inspiring, and I hope you crush it at Kona this year! I'm in a build for IM Cork and hope to see you in transition in October (and then see you on the run again on the Queen K, but this time you'll be in the lead :) instead of Ryf)

-Scott Hansen

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:
Congrats on the amazing race and progress!

Your training is interesting and has it changed much over the years? The number of hours is probably incrementally more than some of the AGers here on ST! It's interesting to see the "big/hard" days with every sport versus "easy or off day (Sunday)." What was the biggest difference and impact on results?

Thanks!

Thank you!

It has changed a ton! My first IM as an amateur was 2014 IMTX. I was training avg 12/13 hours/week, max 17ish with mostly aerobic with 1 hard run and 1 hard bike a week as well as long run/ride. When I went pro I thought I could avg 15-16 hours and max at 20. That was most of 2015 with dismal results. I took the plunge and hired a professional coach and increased training hours to low 20's but a TON TON of intensity. Basically every session I did had intensity in it. I burnt myself a bit on that and switched coaches to Jesse K. Under him we avg high 20's hours/week and went into the low 30's for big builds for a couple weeks. Intensity was very very low and just had a lot of Z1/2 work. It worked well for me for a while but just in December I knew my mind and body just needed a complete change and overhaul. I switch coaches to Bevan McKinnon of fitter out of New Zealand. My hours have actually decrease since and hover around mid 20's and is probably a mixture of my first coach and Jesse. We have intensity, endurance and pay very close attention to my body. We have daily communication and have made more changes in my training on a day to day basis then I even have.

Biggest difference that has impacted results- that's a hard one as the switch in coaches is exactly what I said I needed, a complete overhaul. This year's theme is change and there has been a lot of it from my training, nutrition, and bike set up. I threw the kitchen sink since I was so frustrated at results in 2018 after 3 wins in 2017 season. If I had to choose ONE thing I would actually say it would be my day to day nutrition is more lower carb, high fat. I work closely with a nutritionist out of NZ named Mikki Williden under my coaches suggestion. We have cut my daily carb intake in half and increased fat intake. I not only perform better but FEEL better in day-to-day life.
I think Sunday as a complete off day has been a huge benefit most triathletes fear. I ran at BYU in college and we took Sundays off. My coach was asked how he had a top 10 team in the nation year after year, he said "we have Sundays as a rest day." Athletes fear time off instead of cherish and use it to their advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
tri@thlete wrote:

Your training is interesting and has it changed much over the years? The number of hours is probably incrementally more than some of the AGers here on ST! It's interesting to see the "big/hard" days with every sport versus "easy or off day (Sunday)." What was the biggest difference and impact on results?

Thanks!

Thank you!

It has changed a ton! My first IM as an amateur was 2014 IMTX. I was training avg 12/13 hours/week, max 17ish with mostly aerobic with 1 hard run and 1 hard bike a week as well as long run/ride. When I went pro I thought I could avg 15-16 hours and max at 20. That was most of 2015 with dismal results. I took the plunge and hired a professional coach and increased training hours to low 20's but a TON TON of intensity. Basically every session I did had intensity in it. I burnt myself a bit on that and switched coaches to Jesse K. Under him we avg high 20's hours/week and went into the low 30's for big builds for a couple weeks. Intensity was very very low and just had a lot of Z1/2 work. It worked well for me for a while but just in December I knew my mind and body just needed a complete change and overhaul. I switch coaches to Bevan McKinnon of fitter out of New Zealand. My hours have actually decrease since and hover around mid 20's and is probably a mixture of my first coach and Jesse. We have intensity, endurance and pay very close attention to my body. We have daily communication and have made more changes in my training on a day to day basis then I even have.

Biggest difference that has impacted results- that's a hard one as the switch in coaches is exactly what I said I needed, a complete overhaul. This year's theme is change and there has been a lot of it from my training, nutrition, and bike set up. I threw the kitchen sink since I was so frustrated at results in 2018 after 3 wins in 2017 season. If I had to choose ONE thing I would actually say it would be my day to day nutrition is more lower carb, high fat. I work closely with a nutritionist out of NZ named Mikki Williden under my coaches suggestion. We have cut my daily carb intake in half and increased fat intake. I not only perform better but FEEL better in day-to-day life.
I think Sunday as a complete off day has been a huge benefit most triathletes fear. I ran at BYU in college and we took Sundays off. My coach was asked how he had a top 10 team in the nation year after year, he said "we have Sundays as a rest day." Athletes fear time off instead of cherish and use it to their advantage.

You keep bringing Sundays as off for religious reasons. What is your religion?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
Hi Jocelyn - Great race!
1) Given you're not using power for the race... Is that just race specific that you don't use power? And then if so, did you have any ranges of "acceptable" versus "oh shit" on HR or just all perceived exertion?
2) What are you hoping to have for the rest of the year as a schedule?
3) What are your thoughts on the new KQ rules and how they've played out so far?

Thank you!!

1- Yes, I usually have power but don't look at it during the race but when I changed my bike set up it made it so I had no power. Rotor will have a spider PM in June/July that will solve that. I did have acceptable versus race my own race HRs. The race plan I decided on just said, "If HR is above 165 for over 10 min, back off." Very simple, but got to keep it that way for a race. So yes, I never got to that point.
2- St. George this weekend- EEEK!!! Never have done that so it'll just be interesting to see what happens
Epic Ride 2019- June 13-14 517 miles in 2 days, Boise to Glacier National Park- this is a personal thing I've done and LOVE it! PM me if interested to join for the fun :)
Santa Rosa 70.3
Vichy 70.3
Kona
Taupo 70.3
3. I'm mixed, 2017 I won 2 IMs and only had 4000 points which wouldn't have qualified me without the other races I did. I think it's a little silly to win 2 IMs and not be qualified. 2018 I wouldn't have qualified under the current system but had points from 10th in kona and several podiums. This year I would have qualified 2ce now. I don't think either system is perfect, probably some mixture where you go if you win and then there are a couple slots that are filled by a points system for those who had several podiums in the year but never a win. In the end though, it doesn't really matter what I think so I just accept what it is and figure out what I need to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job! Watching you on the live feed was the highlight of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Thanks so much for doing the AMA! It's really cool of you to take the time and give us the insight into you as an athlete.

I found it so refreshing to watch an exciting women's race and your great attitude has earned a huge amount of fans here. Kona is going to be much more interesting this year.

My questions:

Would you change anything about your execution, like maybe have gone out on the run a little slower to save more for later, drank more on the bike, etc?

Is your plan for Kona the same "stick with Ryf through the bike and then have a footrace" or would you like to outswim and/or outbike her to start the run with a bigger lead?

What's your PR open marathon?

Thanks again for doing the AMA. I was rooting for you all day and really enjoyed seeing the fierce competition between you two.

Well, I love this sport and it's given me so much! I love the people interaction of this sport so this is one of the "fun" parts to the sport for me! I plan to make Kona more interesting! Lots of HARD HARD training to get through! Still improvements we have to find and gain.

I wish I could have drunk more on the bike. I haven't watched the coverage so I don't know how evident it was to viewers how hard it was to get water that second lap on the bike. I usually drink more on the bike then I did. I kept running out of water between aid stations. TMI- drug testing they have to test your specific gravity to make sure it's not too dilute. Mine was 1.018- super dehydrated! Once you're behind you can't catch up. Talk about killer headache for 24-48 hours! Run, I didn't go out HR wise too hard, I just suffered a bit with dehydration. Maybe gone with her on the pass ;)

I don't know what my plan will be for October. I think we will have to see where swim/bike/run fitness is able to get to before that race and make a plan from there. I was surprised at her swim fitness in TX, I think she has worked on it and seen improvements. Jeanni Seymour out swam MBK by 30 seconds in a half in Galveston, she will be swimming with the Sarah true group in Kona but swam behind Daniela and I in TX, just interesting. I didn't express my run fitness that I have in TX. When my run is on point and I'm not super dehydrated, I can out run her. Lots of good to take away and work of for sure.

I've never done an open marathon and don't ever plan to until I'm done with the sport. That stuffs too hard to train and race!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [iluv2run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iluv2run wrote:
Hi Jocelyn, congrats on a great race over the weekend! My question might be a bit personal so feel free to totally ignore it if it is. As a female I'm curious how other females train. I recently read Dr. Stacy Sim's book, Roar, where she talks about how women are not small men and discusses how to hydrate, eat, train and recover throughout our menstrual cycles. Does your coach and RD take into account your menstrual cycle when planning your training and fuel? And I don't mean like avoiding a race because it falls on race day, but does the intensity of your workouts or what you eat revolve around the swings in our hormones throughout the month? If you never heard of her I suggest listening to a couple podcasts where she speaks. She spends her career studying women as most studies throughout history have been done on men.

Congrats again and I'm looking forward to tracking you in more races!

Thanks! Nothing is too personal for me! Religion, politics, bring it all on! ;)

I love ROAR and recommend it to many people. My coach has worked with Stacy and still bounces questions off her when he doesn't know the answer. Bevan McKinnon of fitter from NZ is my coach since December and we do take into account my cycle when looking at training and fueling. I get VERY depressed the day before my period start and training suffers for that one day. But we know it and can plan around it. I have a consistent cycle when it's not disrupted by races so that makes things easy to plan around. I just stick it right into TP and also used an app called FitrWoman that helps track your cycle and gives you recommendations based where you are in yours.
I agree with Stacy on most things but there are a few that I have at least seen different results in myself then what she recommends so just make sure you try different things out and figure out what works for you because women aren't small men but all women aren't the same either.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [rockchalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockchalk wrote:
Jocelyn- Like everyone else has said awesome race! Not only are you using a lot of liquid Kcal on the bike but it looks like you went through 9 bottles in less than 4:45. Do you have a high volume of sweat/Na loss? And can you speak to how you realistically train outdoors with those caloric needs on the bike? I'm trying to hyperconcentrate calories in my bottles too but I either have to stop at a gas station every 90 minutes to dilute the mixture or just hyperconcentrate the osmolality. What's your training approach? Thanks!

Thanks!

Ya, I have a VERY high sweat rate but low sodium loss/L of sweat. When training I don't use as many carbohydrates, I use less than half what I would on race day. I also will have 5 bottles with me on my bike for training. 3 on my bike and 2 in my back pockets. It stinks but I would have to stop far too often if not. I'll generally do 2 bottles/hour in moderate temps then much less in cold and a bit more in hot. I do a lot of trainer riding even in the summer because of ease with family- I have a 6year old daughter.

I have a lot of training answers here already but a brief answer would be a mix between intensity and endurance and most days I do Swim, bike, run. I haven't been lifting much but will be adding that back in this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
tri@thlete wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you!

I am a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" AKA Mormon. People who are members of my church are not required to not work etc on Sundays, that is more of a personal religious choice for me. If you want to hear why and the story behind it check out the Oxygen Addict podcast I did a couple months ago. I though Rob did an excellent job in that interview with everything and was probably one of my favorite podcasts I've done outside of Fitter Radio ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
tri@thlete wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you!

I am a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" AKA Mormon. People who are members of my church are not required to not work etc on Sundays, that is more of a personal religious choice for me. If you want to hear why and the story behind it check out the Oxygen Addict podcast I did a couple months ago. I though Rob did an excellent job in that interview with everything and was probably one of my favorite podcasts I've done outside of Fitter Radio ones.

Ahh thanks. I met a Mormon running couple and same deal. My wife is JW and they aren't to fond of members partaking in athletic feats or higher education, so I can relate. Have a link to the podcast? (Text version would be best)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have already said, congrats on a great race! I really enjoyed watching you on FB. Since nothing seems out of bounds from a question standpoint, even though you were dehydrated, did you still pee on the bike and if so, how many times? Is this something you pay attention to when training/racing? 2 bottles/hr sounds like a lot of fluid to sweat out...
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
tri@thlete wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you!

Ahh thanks. I met a Mormon running couple and same deal. My wife is JW and they aren't to fond of members partaking in athletic feats or higher education, so I can relate. Have a link to the podcast? (Text version would be best)

Ya most members don't but there are always exceptions

Here's the podcast:

https://www.oxygenaddict.com/...222-jocelyn-mccauley
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [TXAgeGrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TXAgeGrouper wrote:
As others have already said, congrats on a great race! I really enjoyed watching you on FB. Since nothing seems out of bounds from a question standpoint, even though you were dehydrated, did you still pee on the bike and if so, how many times? Is this something you pay attention to when training/racing? 2 bottles/hr sounds like a lot of fluid to sweat out...

Thanks!!!
Haha! Ya, nothing out of bounds for me :)

I wasn't dehydrated on the first 3/4 of the bike ish so yes, I did pee on the bike. I do have to say that was a little bit of a worry being on FB live peeing on my bike, they really do catch us at our sexiest times ;) I peed 3 times on the bike while going down some of those overpasses.

I always pay attention to that while training and racing. I try to make sure I pee every 2ish hours. 2 bottles/hr really isn't too hard to sweat out for me though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on not only a great race, but having a joyful personality. (As a Legacy athlete) I look forward to seeing you race at Kona.

Do you have a "go-to" thought or mantra when things get mentally tough during race and (if so), what is it?

And, on a completely different note:
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
I am a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" AKA Mormon. People who are members of my church are not required to not work etc on Sundays, that is more of a personal religious choice for me.

True story: My first (and to date, only) employer who required I work a Sunday shift was the Y.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race! How on earth do you train in Cincinnati? We lived there for a couple years and it was a lot less conducive to triathlon training than we were used to...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! Congrats again!

1)You mentioned that you had 4 bottles on the bike. Did you have all of them since of the beginning of the race? I see only 3 on the photos.

2)What's you average nutrition on a 2-4 hour training bike ride? I heard it's better not to eat a lot of carbs during these rides, and some people train only on water if the ride is less that 2-2.5 hours.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work out there! What BTA bottle mount do you use on your MORF bar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jocelyn, I've found that "high fat, medium carb" is working great for me right now too. But can you describe that a little bit more about how that actually looks as far as eating and snacking goes?

My own description of it is something like, "Quit being afraid of fat and let's calm down on the carbs a bit." lol
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Howdy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy wrote:
Congrats on not only a great race, but having a joyful personality. (As a Legacy athlete) I look forward to seeing you race at Kona.

Do you have a "go-to" thought or mantra when things get mentally tough during race and (if so), what is it?

And, on a completely different note:
Jocelynmccauley wrote:

I am a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" AKA Mormon. People who are members of my church are not required to not work etc on Sundays, that is more of a personal religious choice for me.

True story: My first (and to date, only) employer who required I work a Sunday shift was the Y.

Thanks! If you see me in Kona please come and say "Hi."

I have so so many mantras and they change around each race, I give them to my family pre race for them to scream at me. Here are a couple:
Today is your day, you're making it happen today
You ARE this good
Define yourself
Believe
Believe your dreams
Anything is possible
Smile

I also have a theme song for each race, it was Confident by Demi Lavato. I went into IMNZ with a lot of confidence and after I started wondering if it was coming off as confidence or arrogance. I never want to come off as arrogant so after thinking and talking with others I realized confidence is a GOOD thing, it's "I am good and ready" not "I am better than you."
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
Congrats on the race! How on earth do you train in Cincinnati? We lived there for a couple years and it was a lot less conducive to triathlon training than we were used to...

Thanks so much! Shoot, I don't know where I haven't updated that info, oops! I am in Eagle (Boise), Idaho (for the last 1.5 years), which is training PARADISE! So much so we are planning on doing an AG training camp there in September.

I had a couple of great friends in Cincy to train with though, just was frustrating to have to drive to where I could ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any question I'd have has already been answered. I just wanted to give a huge congrats and to thank you for coming on here and answering every single question. I loved seeing somebody really challenge Ryf like that. Best of luck for the rest of 2019, I'll be pulling for you in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much of your run training is done on a treadmill?

Looking forward to you racing Daniela again this October!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks so much! Shoot, I don't know where I haven't updated that info, oops!

That makes a lot more sense! I read or heard it a couple places following along during the race, and it's also in your twitter bio. Riding must be so much nicer in Eagle, but most places would be. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
RallySavage wrote:
I spent 8 hours staring at your butt. I couldn’t look away. I was crushed when she made the pass. You have a new fan and I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Nothing at all creepy about your post.

The creepy part is on the bike you can see too much... at least from what I've seen in pictures! eek! Please, don't go back to look for that now! :)

Apologies! I meant no disrespect. In hindsight I see how this came across as creepy. What I was trying to convey, albeit poorly, was that I spent most of my day last Saturday watching the race and rooting for you. Since they only had one camera focused on the race leader, I was primarily watching the race from your perspective
Quote Reply

Prev Next