Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t let that stop you. A) no one cares about the 25 free and b) evenif you’re dqd you’ll find out a time that you can do it in. I think it’s pretty unlikely to get dqd for that rule.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I wouldn’t let that stop you. A) no one cares about the 25 free and b) evenif you’re dqd you’ll find out a time that you can do it in. I think it’s pretty unlikely to get dqd for that rule.

And hopefully in a 25 fly some point of my body is above water at all times!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about it either. Maybe in the finals they would be more picky but I suspect the heats they will just rip through them as fast as they can and as long as your start is legal you're good.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mini race report from the Cap2k in Austin yesterday:

frickin' COLD

full report:

We have regular access to spring-fed pools that are ~67-70*F year-round, so nobody was worried when the 'official' temp from LCRA was 66-67 yesterday morning. However, the water was much colder than that, some were saying around 60-61. It was not a fun temperature.

for this race we jump off a dock located on a small island that serves as a dog park that is just below the large dam separating Ladybird Lake and Lake Austin. We have 300-350m from the dock to the starting buoys that about half the swimmers use for a warm up. The other half take a couple of pontoon boats straight to the start.

That 300m swim was pretty agonizing. The water was so cold that I could not keep my face in the water, and I was worried I would be doing a lot of stopping during the race. So cold that I got that full-body burning feeling on the outside. So cold that my hands and feet were instantly numb. So cold that I was having to catch my breath and settle while treading water the first 50m. One of the younger kids literally turned back to the dock while complaining he couldn't breathe. Lots of panicked yelps from the group that took the ferry to the start instead of acclimating to the water.

Due to recent rain, the dam is pretty open and the flow is high. So a faster race, but also very hard to keep everyone behind the start buoys. The starter could tell everyone was freezing and rather than corral us back behind the line he just blew the horn so everyone could start generating heat. It took a lot of folks by surprise.

I managed to start in a pack of high school girls (this race also serves as the Texas high school open water championship). The fastest girl was dead center of the river, but from experience I know the water is a little smoother and the current faster on the right side (the race bends slightly to the left, so you can technically swim the shortest distance-- also the only way the course is actually 2000m-- or stay right of center and swim in better water and swim closer to 2200m), so she's about 15m to my left and surges about 2 body lengths ahead. The rest of the pack slowly faded back. I was surprised by this, because usually there are 3-5 people who just bury the field in the first 200m.

Another reason to stay right instead of center: follow the party barge. There is a large boat available for spectators to watch the race from, which stays about 50m in front of the lead swimmer. While you can't really get a draft of it, it will block the wind that typically blows up the river, so getting behind it, if you're close enough, cuts down on the chop.

Anyway, I was pretty confident that the lead girl would eventually pull away from me and I'd probably also get caught from behind by some other high schooler who took awhile to warm up but about 2/3rds of the way through, the girl veered over in front of me and then continued to swim right. By the time she got course-corrected by a kayaker, I had a 3 body length lead and she was now outside the best line. About 300m from the finish, we pass under a pedestrian bridge and highway overpass. I think she got confused there as well; we have to go through a certain set of the bridge pillars (on the right side, marked with buoys) and then turn left toward the finish at the rowing center on the north shore. I managed to hold the lead for the win.

TLDR: stole a win because the faster high schoolers didn't know the course or were very good at sighting. (or disoriented from the cold)

Due to the current, the times are blazing. ~2200m swim in 21:43.

results: https://cap2k.weebly.com/...ults_cap2k19_all.pdf

PS there was lots of shivering at the post-race picnic. Many heavy layers of clothes worn on a nice, warm, sunny morning. Ironically, they were serving sno-cones for dessert.

+2 mile run back to the car.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done! Sounds like you should have brought skates instead of a speedo...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weights at lunchtime and swim scheduled for tonight.

Did 3 pullups in a row today!! and added squats to the routine, now my legs are a little shaky...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice!

yesterday 36 mi bike
today 5.5 mi run w/ 3 x 1 mi @ 8:13 pace (10k pace), 1075 yd swim, weights

10 x 100 on 1:30
25 kick/25 swim/25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 scm this afternoon.
300 wu
6x50 descend 1-3 on :60
300 pull
3 x (
3 x 100 descend on 1:40
300 steady)
300 CD

Descend 100s roughly 1:15 down to 1:12. 300s 3:53, 3:52 & 3:48

Still a bit tight in the shoulders from the 1500 on Saturday but not too bad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took last week out of the pool as I was on a fishing trip. Still did some running while away, but it was primarily a beer drinking trip. I was in for a rude awakening when I got back in the pool today. Endurance was the focus.

WU:
400 easy
4x75 IM no free
4x50 kick

MS:
15 x 150 aerobic fly @ 2:45, but dropped to 3:00 for the last five.
Aerobic fly is 3-4 fly strokes per 25m, and then choice for the remaining bit.
I was just happy to have made the set, even with a slower pace time.

Technical set:
2x{
2x50 streamline free kick
2x50 streamline back kick
4x50 streamline dolphin kick}

CD: 150 easy

Total: 4100SCM
Last edited by: vijeet88: Apr 29, 19 18:42
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weights at lunch today. Tonight’s swim:

Warmup
600 SKPS
4x50 back/free by 25
8x25 sprinters game on :30

Main set
3x {
4x50 @ 50. Hold ~ 85% (35’s)
300 smooth 4:02, 4:00, 3:55
}

150 ez warmdown

2650 total

Was a bit sore from weights

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
Took last week out of the pool as I was on a fishing trip. Still did some running while away, but it was primarily a beer drinking trip. I was in for a rude awakening when I got back in the pool today. Endurance was the focus.

WU:
400 easy
4x75 IM no free
4x50 kick

MS:
15 x 150 aerobic fly @ 2:45, but dropped to 3:00 for the last five.
Aerobic fly is 3-4 fly strokes per 25m, and then choice for the remaining bit.
I was just happy to have made the set, even with a slower pace time.

Technical set:
2x{
2x50 streamline free kick
2x50 streamline back kick
4x50 streamline dolphin kick}

CD: 150 easy

Total: 4100SCM

Hey for aerobic fly sets what do you do for the in between strokes around the 4 fly strokes per length. I have done some 200m fly sets where I do 4-5 dolphin kicks and one arm pull per 4-5 kicks, but that kind of ends up being as much of a lung buster as just doing the entire thing.

Today

400m warmup

10x50m hard as 25 free 25 breast
10x50m hard breast as 25 full stroke, 25m legs only

400m kick with fins

200m IM kick only
200m steady IM stroke
200m IM kick only
1x400m IM hard, 10 seconds slower than race pace (actually all 10 seconds were slower fly leg...everythinig else was race pace, but it felt easier because fly was easier)....which tells me my fly leg during the race must be too fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Hey for aerobic fly sets what do you do for the in between strokes around the 4 fly strokes per length. I have done some 200m fly sets where I do 4-5 dolphin kicks and one arm pull per 4-5 kicks, but that kind of ends up being as much of a lung buster as just doing the entire thing.

Hey Dev,

Yesterday, I did free for the remainder of the length to keep it aerobic, but there were some in my group that were switching to back so they could recover and concentrate on their stroke on the next one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, when I work fly I sprinkle in easy freestyle, but always make sure the fly is full stroke, and quality.

For longer swims, > 100y, maybe every length is 4 strokes fly, remainder easy freestyle.

For 75s and 100s, I like to do fly/free/fly, or fly/free/free/fly, where the free again is just easy. Sometimes will do 100's and only the final 25 is fly, but it has to be fast.

For repeat 50s, cycle through 4's, 50 fly, 50 free/fly, 50 fly/free, 50 free, again free is always easy and high quality, and the fly is always strong and high quality.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For fly, I prefer doing something like 3-3-3 drill, with the full stroke "3" going as many strokes as it takes to get to the wall (usually it is 3, but sometimes 4). I find that helps with just keeping the fly rhythm going for the full length, I dislike switching strokes mid-length....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
For fly, I prefer doing something like 3-3-3 drill, with the full stroke "3" going as many strokes as it takes to get to the wall (usually it is 3, but sometimes 4). I find that helps with just keeping the fly rhythm going for the full length, I dislike switching strokes mid-length....

This is what I do too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.5 mi easy run, 9:31-9:22 pace
1425 yd swim

3 x 400 on 6:30 desc 5:51, 5:31, 5:20
50 kick
150 swim
25 kick

April total: 24 swims / 31500 yds

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...getting towards the end of the rope for Cactus Man. Have another swim on Thursday and then we'll see how all the work that went into it results in.

2400 today. I guess my form was off on three of my sets, my two 200Ms and one 400M all told me I had an extra 25M...I used to get some bonkers numbers back in the day. Overall I thought the session was pretty strong. I did a 1000m set, time for me I definitely love. If I can swim at that pace on Saturday I'll be happy because it will finally be a decent Oly swim...well I've only ever done two Oly Tris.

2x50m (1:01, 1:03) 25 sec rest
2x100m (2:13, 2:18) 25 sec rest
2x200m (4:35, 4:34) 30 sec rest
1x400m (9:45) 1 min rest
1x1000m (24:20) 90 sec rest
2x100m (2:14, 2:22) 30 sec rest
2x50m (1:06, 1:08) 15 sec rest

I'm guessing a 2:26/100m isn't that fast overall average for a 1000m interval. But, it's much better than where I was last spring, or so I think. Provided I sight well and don't swim an extra 500 meters from zigzagging I should beat my last one of 42:02!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2000 at lunch today - 40 x 50 on :50.

25,700m for the month which isn't too bad for me considering I missed a full two weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last swim for April

300 Fr (3:59)/300K/300 pull (3:48)
12x100 on 1:30 (1:17-1:22)
6x50K on 1:15
6x100 pull on 1:15 (1:13-1:16)
8x50 on 50 (36-38)
100 easy
3500 total (SCY)

Added some military presses to my 2xWeek weights session and really feel it in the pool - - my times per 100 are 2 seconds slower than in March. If it keeps will have to decide at end of May if I should stop the military presses.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerPlay wrote:
Last swim for April

300 Fr (3:59)/300K/300 pull (3:48)
12x100 on 1:30 (1:17-1:22)
6x50K on 1:15
6x100 pull on 1:15 (1:13-1:16)
8x50 on 50 (36-38)
100 easy
3500 total (SCY)

Added some military presses to my 2xWeek weights session and really feel it in the pool - - my times per 100 are 2 seconds slower than in March. If it keeps will have to decide at end of May if I should stop the military presses.

Keep them. They’re good for the shoulders and you’ll get used to it eventually. I added goblet squats and I’m feeling those.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Do you guys ever do something like 4 hard strokes fly after push off, some steady breast in between and finish to the wall with fly?

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Do you guys ever do something like 4 hard strokes fly after push off, some steady breast in between and finish to the wall with fly?

Dev

Nope. I might do the breakout full stroke then switch to one arm fly. But I wouldn’t really do what you’re talking about. Partly because 4 strokes fly is going to put me fairly far down the pool, and steady breast means a very long stroke to me. I’d be at the wall in 3 strokes.

One that I have seen, but I’ve done maybe twice in my life, is alternating 1 stroke fly with1 stroke breast. I’ve done it, but it feels awkward, and it’s more of a breaststroke drill than a fly drill. I’m not a breaststroker or IMer so there’s not much point in me doing it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Dev

Nope. I might do the breakout full stroke then switch to one arm fly. But I wouldn’t really do what you’re talking about. Partly because 4 strokes fly is going to put me fairly far down the pool, and steady breast means a very long stroke to me. I’d be at the wall in 3 strokes.

One that I have seen, but I’ve done maybe twice in my life, is alternating 1 stroke fly with1 stroke breast. I’ve done it, but it feels awkward, and it’s more of a breaststroke drill than a fly drill. I’m not a breaststroker or IMer so there’s not much point in me doing it.

Yes, I have done alternating fly-breast (one stroke each) and you are right that helps more with the breast stroke than fly since the undulation amplitude ends up being "more breast stroke" ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Dev

Yes, I have done alternating fly-breast (one stroke each) and you are right that helps more with the breast stroke than fly since the undulation amplitude ends up being "more breast stroke" ish.

The idea behind it is to get a bit of (legal) dolphin action into the breaststroke and actually get the breaststroke to be a bit closer to fly.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 100 fly from NS provincials last weekend.

You can see how I died on the last 25.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next