Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has a partner who is a cyclist according to other articles.
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
6 hours sleep a night, 60 hour work weeks, Ironman training. I don’t get it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...works-60-hours-week/

I'm surprised she doesn't also have 3 kids and volunteer overseas for habitat for humanity every weekend. Me? I literally do nothing but sleep and triathlon. Probably not a very compelling interview.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Working 60 hr a week right now and loosing more time with my commute. Sleeping 5.5/6 and it sucks. Always tired 😴💤

Through the week I'm get 30 mins a day on the bike but that's it. Weekend suck to because I need sleep.... I don't no how people can do it
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
I thought about this post and changed it three times as I am still putting my bitterness in. She is the EA to the CIO, a 30 year old who answers the phone and manages a calendar. I respect her choice but please don't claim that as a high stress demanding job.


Could be right, could be way wrong. I'm (one of several) finance directors for a fairly large public company and work closely with our CFO. I'd wager our CFOs EA knows more about what is going on in the company than 99.7% of the employees and likely myself. She easily pulls 50-60 hour work weeks and to indicate being committed to work for that long each week isn't stressful isn't correct. I'm not saying she's making decisions that will eventually cause a ripple on the P&L, but she's working a lot and that is stressful regardless.
Last edited by: Vols: Dec 6, 19 3:48
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
I would argue that instead of training more (assuming she’s honest about her training hours) she should just sleep more and see how that goes for awhile

Her training really doesn't seem all that crazy. And working from 7 til 5:30 is a pretty normal schedule (and a 55hr week, not 60).

90min in the morning, bike commute, swim/run in the afternoon, and longer sessions on the weekends. Seems like if she wants to go pro, she could replace that commute time with a bit more structure and maybe some intensity. But volume seems to mostly be there already, probably ~20hrs?

I need to learn to be as effective as her. I’m not quite sure how she manages to wake up at 4:30, get in 1.5hr bike or run then cycle to work and be at her desk by 7. All while fitting in breakfast and showering, etc. That’s impressive. Curious how long the bike commute actually is.

Strava I Instagram I Team Every Man Jack I
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I need to learn to be as effective as her. I’m not quite sure how she manages to wake up at 4:30, get in 1.5hr bike or run then cycle to work and be at her desk by 7. All while fitting in breakfast and showering, etc. That’s impressive. Curious how long the bike commute actually is.


This is, very over dramatically, the key, the problem with America, the problem with triathletes, etc. and also the main point of this thread.

It's not her "turning pro-ness", it's not her talent, it's not the 430am (this is not early!!!), it's not her work ethic. It's her time. It's her effectiveness.

It's obvious she lives and works and swims in the same neighborhood. In addition to all the other traits that get kicked around about "Kona qualifiers", time management (and by extension logistics and a livable city) is an important one.

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio Coaching and Bike Fitting
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits |
Last edited by: ericMPro: Dec 6, 19 4:15
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Even if she isn’t underestimating it, I do think some people can operate with less sleep than others. Swimmers for example, have been waking up at the ass crack of dawn since middle school or high school. Not many people can function with the schedule swimmers have. They get used to operating on very little sleep and still perform well (at sport, in school, and still have a social life). Don’t get me wrong, there is always a fine line and at some point it can have negative affects. That line is different for everyone though.

I think calling her dumb isn’t really appropriate. She destroyed the women AG field so she’s obviously doing positive things. I think she has a potential to be similar to Lucy Charles.... win the kona AG race and then podium as a pro. My prediction is that we will see on the pro podium within 5 years.

Two things:

1: I swam thru college and I always managed to get no less than 7 hours sleep.we had 5am practice 3x a weeks, and I had 8a class the other days, and 6a-10a on Sat.

2: being fast doesn’t make you “not dumb.”

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Anybody knows why sometime she is called Ruth Purbrook and on her insta / twitter / facebook is called Ruth Astle ?
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When people complain that they've had a 60 hr week, I, not jokingly, say I've had one of those too . . . most of mine are much longer!!

I'm not sure what you don't get??

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A full time job

A part time job

60+ hours every week

Out Drinking about every night (lived above a bar)

Show up hung over and smash a bike race on Saturday

Drive across the state

Smash a triathlon on Sunday

Ahhhh to be 20 again 😀

Now I wake up with a sore thumb from using the remote too much the night before
Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 6, 19 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see this fluff piece omitted the part where her "60hr workweek" is as an executive assistant, unlike the last one.
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
stevej wrote:
Even if she isn’t underestimating it, I do think some people can operate with less sleep than others. Swimmers for example, have been waking up at the ass crack of dawn since middle school or high school. Not many people can function with the schedule swimmers have. They get used to operating on very little sleep and still perform well (at sport, in school, and still have a social life). Don’t get me wrong, there is always a fine line and at some point it can have negative affects. That line is different for everyone though.

I think calling her dumb isn’t really appropriate. She destroyed the women AG field so she’s obviously doing positive things. I think she has a potential to be similar to Lucy Charles.... win the kona AG race and then podium as a pro. My prediction is that we will see on the pro podium within 5 years.

Two things:

1: I swam thru college and I always managed to get no less than 7 hours sleep.we had 5am practice 3x a weeks, and I had 8a class the other days, and 6a-10a on Sat.

2: being fast doesn’t make you “not dumb.”

I swam through college as well. I know the schedule.

How is she dumb exactly? Is she dumb just because she doesn’t get 8-9 hours of sleep every night? Unless you know more about her specific training and schedule than what interviews/articles have shown, your statement is really out of line.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
stevej wrote:

Even if she isn’t underestimating it, I do think some people can operate with less sleep than others. Swimmers for example, have been waking up at the ass crack of dawn since middle school or high school. Not many people can function with the schedule swimmers have. They get used to operating on very little sleep and still perform well (at sport, in school, and still have a social life). Don’t get me wrong, there is always a fine line and at some point it can have negative affects. That line is different for everyone though.

I think calling her dumb isn’t really appropriate. She destroyed the women AG field so she’s obviously doing positive things. I think she has a potential to be similar to Lucy Charles.... win the kona AG race and then podium as a pro. My prediction is that we will see on the pro podium within 5 years.


Two things:

1: I swam thru college and I always managed to get no less than 7 hours sleep.we had 5am practice 3x a weeks, and I had 8a class the other days, and 6a-10a on Sat.

2: being fast doesn’t make you “not dumb.”


I swam through college as well. I know the schedule.

How is she dumb exactly? Is she dumb just because she doesn’t get 8-9 hours of sleep every night? Unless you know more about her specific training and schedule than what interviews/articles have shown, your statement is really out of line.

IMHO it's not healthy, which makes it dumb.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason, triathletes like to eat their own. Here's someone out there living her life, enjoying sport, and seemingly pretty happy with how things are going. You, for some reason, disapprove and accuse her of both being dumb and unhealthy. Not sure why her lifestyle deserves any judgement from you, but here we are.






Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree almost everyone inflates training hours and work hours. The most important part is sleep hours!

On my side I have been doing 800 hrs of training/exercise per year and roughly 2500 hrs of sleep per year for around 30 years. On the work front, it typically levels out at 2200 hrs per year (so I sleep more than I work which is my objective). The last two years starting my own tech company I do work way more than that, but it feels like tech hobby and not work and my office is 2 km from home, I have two pools within a 5 min ride, running trails that connect my office and home, so its all more like continuous training and work all going on all the time. I just view it all as "life"....revenue generating part of life and revenue consuming part of life, and not 'work + training' anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sleep is overrated
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Anybody knows why sometime she is called Ruth Purbrook and on her insta / twitter / facebook is called Ruth Astle ?

Divorce
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Respect her achievement and her choices. The article misleads on a number of things as these pieces generally do:

The job is a PA not CTO, CIO head architect.

Is this every week or peak weeks.

The training hours are not out of the ordinary for FOP AG

She has done really well, wish her all the best as a pro
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks.
So I guess Purbrook is her real name and Astle the name of his ex-husband. Beginning as a pro for 2020 I guess she will fix that.

Digital image..... one of the kids choose name of an AD&D character for Facebook account.... now working he realized he need to change that...
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
people over inflate their training and work hours

I'm not saying all triathletes do this, I know many put in some serious hours of serious training, but my observations have been that many people who boast of training 15-20+ hours per week are often stating their lifetime peak volume and acting like they average that year-round, and/or being really generous/ridiculous with what they count as training time.

My favorites are (these are real, not jokes/fibs) (i) the guy who counts driving 20 minutes to the pool, 40-minute swim, drive 20 minutes home, as 80 minutes of swimming, and (ii) the guy who tracks every minute he's in the gym for lifting sessions and adds that onto run/bike/swim time (never mind that a half-hour gym session is maybe 10 minutes of actual exertion).
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
6 hours sleep a night, 60 hour work weeks, Ironman training. I don’t get it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...works-60-hours-week/

I am not sure how many age grouper do you know that get a solid sponsorship deal and an article in a big nat paper making it easier to find more sponosors ...
looks more like she is a good networker .

http://www.pb3coaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
6 hours sleep a night, 60 hour work weeks, Ironman training. I don’t get it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...works-60-hours-week/

Successful woman, good for her.
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [Tin pot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s one opinion

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [Tin pot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a nuanced article rather than Jack Ryan saves the day after training for 3 hours skips lunch never showers like ever.

Suppose she is English

And qualifies for Hawaii but will answer the bosses phone while on spin bike
Quote Reply
Re: Another article about how dumb triathletes are [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats! i really admire the energy and motivation to do it. She is around 30, right? everyone makes choices...she must love the sport so much to sacrify many other things...
there are times in our lifes with different priorities. She may turn pro someday...good luck to her!!

"Frustriathlete" Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply

Prev Next