Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the AEOX Ultra Rear disc new? Looks like a great Roval alternative. 970g in rim brake clincher form and made in UK. Though it does have a spoke construction. Reminds me of the 825g CITEC Ultra disc, but the Aerocoach uses a carbon brake track and is wider.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [RJones07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered an Aeox front and Aeox disc to delivery in September. I august was told the Aeox was delayed and I would receive my disc in start September, but I came 24th of September. As I mention earlier the disc had so much flex it was useless. I am now waiting for a replacement and the front wheel. My plan were to race Ironman Barcelona with the wheels but I ended up with a set of rental wheels because of the flex in the disc and missing front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [RFDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFDK wrote:
I ordered an Aeox front and Aeox disc to delivery in September. I august was told the Aeox was delayed and I would receive my disc in start September, but I came 24th of September. As I mention earlier the disc had so much flex it was useless. I am now waiting for a replacement and the front wheel. My plan were to race Ironman Barcelona with the wheels but I ended up with a set of rental wheels because of the flex in the disc and missing front wheel.

I do apologise for the issue that you had with your wheel, with the Speed Concepts the tolerances are very tight with both the wheel clearance and the frame too as the Duotrap on the non drive chain stay is a real issue for wider discs. The flex was extremely odd and I think the guys are looking closer into that as we’ve not had that before. Front wheels have experienced some delays purely due to order volume but we’re just about getting on top of it, I do hope Rich (customer service) is sorting you out as I know it must be frustrating, apologies again!

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Is the AEOX Ultra Rear disc new? Looks like a great Roval alternative. 970g in rim brake clincher form and made in UK. Though it does have a spoke construction. Reminds me of the 825g CITEC Ultra disc, but the Aerocoach uses a carbon brake track and is wider.

Yes it’s brand new - released this week. For the ULTRA discs we have a different layup for the tubeless rim bed, different layup for the covers and also a different hub. Still 24 spokes underneath (CX Rays), and the aero performance is the same as the standard AEOX disc, but we’ve just managed to get it well under 1000g with a fair bit of work! 25.7mm wide for the tubeless version and 23mm wide for the tubular (880g).

One thing we find handy with the construction of the discs and pro teams/people who travel is that you can drop tools on the sidewalls and it won’t damage them compared with something like a Lightweight disc or other disc with structural sidewalls. Can be trued in the event of a crash as well. Everyone loves a Lightweight but a few pro teams are moving over to tubeless for 2020 and they don’t currently offer a tubeless disc.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always assumed solid would be better in the case that something drops on them, since the walls feel more solid. How come the thin cover over spokes is more resistant to impact?

What hubs are you using for the Ultra? Would be nice to see a reputable name like DT over something proprietary at such price point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I always assumed solid would be better in the case that something drops on them, since the walls feel more solid. How come the thin cover over spokes is more resistant to impact?

What hubs are you using for the Ultra? Would be nice to see a reputable name like DT over something proprietary at such price point.

It’s because the covers have flex in them - so if you drop something it absorbs the impact rather than denting like a solid sidewall. On the ULTRA we’re using Extralite hubs inside which are extremely well made.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

It’s because the covers have flex in them - so if you drop something it absorbs the impact rather than denting like a solid sidewall. On the ULTRA we’re using Extralite hubs inside which are extremely well made.

Good to know, thank you.

Do the Extralite hubs require more frequent service than DT240, or are the seals similar? I'm ignorant on hubs, but I've heard some lightweight hubs require more frequent maintenance due to the types of seals they use to save weight.

Also, for those of us outside the EU, is there a saving on VAT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The seals used on the bearings do not affect weight.

Full contact seals are used to keep the dirt and water out of the bearings, but they have higher friction.

Low contact or completely removing the seals allow dirt and water in, but they are really fast. Basically, they would be used for races.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. Does Extralite use sealed bearings that won't require much maintenance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Xavier wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Good to know, thank you.

Do the Extralite hubs require more frequent service than DT240, or are the seals similar? I'm ignorant on hubs, but I've heard some lightweight hubs require more frequent maintenance due to the types of seals they use to save weight.

Also, for those of us outside the EU, is there a saving on VAT?

Four of the team have been racing (and internationally travelling) on the ULTRA discs this year and the bearings have been holding up fine (they are sealed). In fact we had someone use one in the World Championships TT in Yorkshire in absolutely horrendous weather and it survived perfectly well.

The worst bearings we’ve found for top level TT wheels have interestingly been those on Pro 3 trispokes - but they’re very much the exception, we know they’re quite difficult to manufacture. Fast wheels though.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! Very tempting for next triathlon season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Xavier

I am a huge fan of the work you are doing with the testing and innovative products.

However, I think you need to be better at your communication and customer service. You wrote:

Xavier wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
I have my eye on the AEOX full disc but I have a 2019 Speed Concept. What considerations do I have to take in to account because of the
reduced chainstay clearance?

None :) you just let us know in the order comments and we build the wheel with better clearance on non drive side for you (they’re all hand built).

Now you are saying, with the Speed Concepts the tolerances are very tight with both the wheel clearance and the frame too as the Duotrap on the non drive chain stay is a real issue for wider discs. I am, and I guess that Scottxs also is, aware of that. However, your first answer let me to believe there would be no issues.

I don’t know if Rich is sorting anything out. I'm sorry to say that I can't trust the information I get from him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there known issues with a Felt IA3 disc brake version?

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RFDK wrote:
with the Speed Concepts the tolerances are very tight with both the wheel clearance and the frame too as the Duotrap on the non drive chain stay is a real issue for wider discs. I am, and I guess that Scottxs also is, aware of that. However, your first answer let me to believe there would be no issues.

First let me apologise again for the issue that you’ve had. We’ve built discs for Speed Concepts before which is why we didn’t anticipate any issue with your disc - I’ll chase up with Rich this week and make sure that any communication is much clearer. Thanks very much for your patience as I do appreciate that issues can be frustrating!

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
Are there known issues with a Felt IA3 disc brake version?

No - no problems there as there is plenty of clearance

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [RJones07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Received my Zephyr front about 3 weeks ago. Fitting a Conti 5000 TL was an absolute PITA, but other than that very happy. The valve cover is a bit fiddly but figure I'll only use it for races and it's not much more hassle than covering up valve holes on the disc. Can't give any definitive feedback on how aero it is since it's on a new bike and I've tweaked my position as well, but it looks fast and I've set a bunch of PRs in the last few weeks so that's good enough for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the new disc wheels have laser cut brake tracks like the Zephyr?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The latest versions do, yes

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has there been aero testing with the disc brake versions of these wheels or is it purely the rim brake versions which have been compared? (sorry if I've overlooked this somewhere)... If not, do you know what the aero penalty roughly is for the disc brake versions?

Cheers

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good question but difficult to compare like to like as you need to do it in a different frame.

Wheel only testing isn't the thing to do in that situation because different frames will have different aero interactions with the disc brake caliper and chainstays for example, not just the rotor, and there isn't really an easy like for like rim/disc frame we can swap them between. We have had disc brake AEOXs in the tunnel to good effect though - but not any specific wind tunnel data we can share I'm afraid.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh ok, that makes sense! Cheers for getting back.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Received my Zephyr front about 3 weeks ago. Fitting a Conti 5000 TL was an absolute PITA, but other than that very happy. The valve cover is a bit fiddly but figure I'll only use it for races and it's not much more hassle than covering up valve holes on the disc. Can't give any definitive feedback on how aero it is since it's on a new bike and I've tweaked my position as well, but it looks fast and I've set a bunch of PRs in the last few weeks so that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the info. How is the braking? Have you happened to be caught in the rain and tried braking? If braking on these are as good as ENVE SES (in wet particularly) then I would be very interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [DaveQB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't compare directly to the Enves as I've not ridden them but braking seems fine for a carbon braking surface. It's got a good bit of texture to the braking surface which I think helps. Haven't really had to test it though, I'm very much a fair weather TTer who only takes the bike out on dry days and roads with minimal traffic and hills! So braking isn't that much of a priority for me. Road bike is a different matter, that goes out in all conditions and gradients and so good braking is critical, but for exactly that reason I'm still using wheels with an aluminium braking surface and will go to disc brakes on my next road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Can't compare directly to the Enves as I've not ridden them but braking seems fine for a carbon braking surface. It's got a good bit of texture to the braking surface which I think helps. Haven't really had to test it though, I'm very much a fair weather TTer who only takes the bike out on dry days and roads with minimal traffic and hills! So braking isn't that much of a priority for me. Road bike is a different matter, that goes out in all conditions and gradients and so good braking is critical, but for exactly that reason I'm still using wheels with an aluminium braking surface and will go to disc brakes on my next road bike.

Ok, thank you. It would be interesting to see how the Zephyr front performs on your road bike for a ride :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, thanks Xavier for making some great posts here in this thread.

Second: I am looking at a good front wheel for next years time trial and triathlon season. I can't really seem to judge when a Titan is worth it over a Zephyr. My current favourite is the Zephyr since it seems way more versatile than a Titan regarding tires. If a tire change can negate a few extra hundred euros spent on the wheel, what is the point? Other than that a 100mm deep wheel looks badass.

I am doing short time trials and sprint triathlons, nothing longer than an hour on the bike. How much of a difference would I be looking at between these wheels (with the same tyre)?
Quote Reply

Prev Next