Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread
Quote | Reply
Someone in the 2016 thread suggested making a new one of these at the end of the year, but as we all know, we are already in the middle of 2017 lottery season. So we're doing it now.

Whatcha got for next year? Who is going to get shut-out (yet again) in Western States & Hard Rock drawings? Anyone jumping into the Barkley insanity? Anything else? To paraphrase Frank the Tank "Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about."
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The registrations for both of the races that I want to do don't open until January. I haven't gone completely crazy like some of you people--they are both under 35 miles. The first one is the Bighorn 32M in Wyoming in June. The second one is 4 weeks later--Laugaveguer. It is 35 miles through the highlands of Iceland down to the coast. That is the one that I am really excited about.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much more mileage/volume do you guys recommend on top of "normal" marathon training for say a 50k? For most of my marathons for instance, my longest runs have been 20 (although I have recently adopted the Hanson's 16 miler at race pace approach)......would 20 mile long run be adequate if it was at race pace?

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely in for the 39.3 Connemarathon through Connemara in the West of Ireland at the end of April.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my first 50km, I basically did my normal marathon training but took one long run to 22 miles. It seemed to work for me as I ran a marathon PR, placed second, and only missed the time from my debut marathon by 4 minutes at the 50km mark.

That was a flat race though. For the mountain 60km I ran this year I did several 20milr plus runs over hilly terrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
The first one is the Bighorn 32M in Wyoming in June.

I did Bighorn this year (got injured around mi 76, first DNF ever). It is BEAUTIFUL. The second race you mention sounds pretty awesome. I am jealous.
Last edited by: TeamBarenaked: Nov 9, 16 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
How much more mileage/volume do you guys recommend on top of "normal" marathon training for say a 50k? For most of my marathons for instance, my longest runs have been 20 (although I have recently adopted the Hanson's 16 miler at race pace approach)......would 20 mile long run be adequate if it was at race pace?

The mileage/volume should be fine. Especially since your race pace will be slower than you are used to. However, assuming this is a trail race, get out on trails for some of the training. You'll make it easily through a trail 50k with only road training, but you will be sore and the hills will suck! haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran the Laugavegurinn in Iceland last year. There was a lot of snow on the ground, which made for slowish times. Beware that the race cutoffs are very strictly enforced in that event. It is a spectacularly beautiful area and the terrain and trails are relatively easy to cover; it is one of the easier and most beautiful 50k's I have done. You will get wet in a few of the river crossings.

I did the Eiger 101 in Switzerland this year. It is insanely difficult: not just 101 km with 6700m each of both climbing and descent (think 63 miles with 22,000 feet of climbing and ditto descent), but it includes many very steep and gnarly trails. It is hard enough that finishers automatically qualify for Western States. Also a beautiful area but not an experience I care to repeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That DNF sucks, but there can be some tricky sections of that course. The heat last year was brutal, and I don't envy those of you who had to run up the face of the Rockies in that. Sheridan is my hometown, so I like to go back for Father's Day, go camping with my family, and race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [trinhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How bad are the river crossings? The pictures online make them look pretty deep. I had hypothermia a few years ago (caught in a sudden weather change at high altitude with my warm gear back at camp), so that is my concern. As the race gets closer, I might pick your brain for tips.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [AdamML] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdamML wrote:
I'm definitely in for the 39.3 Connemarathon through Connemara in the West of Ireland at the end of April.
We spent a few days in Connemara this summer, and it was wonderful. I would love to go back. I am going to have to look for that race in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first race over 50 miles in February, the 110 with Donna in Jax Beach. It's an all asphalt 2 day run (84 miles on Saturday then start with the marathon on Sunday). Curious what kind of long runs those of you experienced with ultras run during your peak. I haven't gotten an idea of pacing yet either if anyone has any suggestions. FWIW 3 hour marathon and averaged 9:59 min/mi for my 50 (half trail/ half asphalt). I'm steadily upping my mileage, and am at about 65mpw now while adding in 2 recovery rides on the Kickr.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished my first year of ultrarunning, starting with a local 50k, and finishing with running both days at the Squamish 50/50.

Now that I've survived Squamish, thinking of going for a repeat, and see how fast I can go, especially if I get in a good winter block going into a fast spring marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done something very stupid and signed up for the Barkley Fall Classic. It's really just a long hike, right? The Laugevegur ultra looks awesome. Maybe I'll sign up for it and get myself lost out there before I have to face up to Frozen Head.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This article by Ian Torrence has some good advice on the distance specificity for training for ultras, especially on the road or flat trails

http://www.irunfar.com/...g-for-your-buck.html
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [gwman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, indeed you are very stupid. The Barkley is just nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys need to stop talking ultras. You're killing me. My original plan for 2017 was my first 50k in February and first 50m in April. However, I've shelved that plan not due to injury or anything. Rather, I've signed up for an 8 day cycling trip for late June in Austria - about 450 miles and 50,000 feet of climbing. Considering I haven't spent much time on the bike in the last year or so I need to really start focusing on that and I don't have enough available time to focus on both the bike and run. So, I've changed my plans to a trail marathon next month and a potentially a road marathon in mid January. Than its all bike all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on that one! I would reach out to Lance Armstrong's DR. for some of his famous PED cocktail for the climb....."excuse me, while I pass this guy"

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran my first 50 K a couple of weeks ago in Connecticut and loved the vibe, didn't know anyone there but met some very cool folks. I enjoyed it enough to dabble a bit more- going for a 70 K in April which should keep me running right thru the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year was going to move up to my first 100M but got injured three weeks before the race :-(

For 2017:

Races:
Huff 50K in Indiana with my dog.
Superior 100
Earth Day 50K

Self-organized "events":
Self-supported 50 Miler, crossing Puerto Rico's central range from North to South (all roads unfortunately).
Zion Traverse (run across Zion National Park).
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 unofficial ultrarunning thread [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tovi wrote:
Superior 100

I am thinking about doing that one, too. One of my friends is going for his twentieth consecutive finish there this year. Absolutely amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear its one of the most beautiful, scenic trail races in the country... but also really fucking hard! I had to skip it this year due to injury so my goal this year is to make it to the starting line healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the Hennepin 100 in Illinois in October. It's super flat and mostly small gravel and dirt/grass trails. It's my 1st 100 miler, so i'm nervous as hell. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The three river crossings in the Laugavegurinn are all glacial rivers, so their depth and the current strength depends on the time of day (higher snowmelt volumes later in the day) and the amount of sunshine. The water is very cold, of course. They were well over knee deep when I did them. The two longer and deeper crossings will have a rope strung across them along with a rescue squad in survival suits in attendance to help folks make it safely across; on the other one you're on your own and it can help to have a running pole for extra stability. But there was no drama, it really just adds to the overall grand adventure.

Tip: the first part is narrow and steep, almost from the gun, so if you are going for the podium and don't want to be stuck in a long slow line you need to get out front fast. On the other hand, doing this event fast is almost criminal, given how wonderful the scenery and the experience is. Just take your time and let it all sink in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next