Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
Super 9 and 808 with 25 gp4000s on my sc, no issues what so ever .

2014 SC 7.5 has been awesome with 808 front and rear and same tires as above.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the zipp evo extensions. Haven't gotten them yet but plan to play around with my options in early may.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I'm looking at the zipp evo extensions. Haven't gotten them yet but plan to play around with my options in early may.

I tried them and found because of the inward sweep they didn't work particularly well with the plug in mono extension.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [TheFisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was afraid of too... Looks like the inward bend would bring the tips too close together.

What did you end up using then?

BTW, just after I ordered the plug-in I got lucky and scored one on ebay for $220. There's still one left for $100 but it's missing the clamps.

TheFisher wrote:
stevej wrote:

I tried them and found because of the inward sweep they didn't work particularly well with the plug in mono extension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've stuck with the regular mono extension for now as I didn't really have any fit issues, I just like having the end of my extensions pointing in slightly.

I'll revisit it shortly as I'm not going to be racing till October now so I'll have a bit of time to get used to the new fit. I'll probably end up with either Tri Rig or the ones used/made by 51 Speedshop.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [TheFisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheFisher wrote:
stevej wrote:

Got any pictures?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Been researching on the forum for SRM magnet placing on the 9.9... I found a few pics on placing it inside the brake cover

I wanted to see what others have done or if it was very successful and hit me up with some more pics

thanks
chris

if you rather email me them christopherkonecny@gmail.com

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
TheFisher wrote:
stevej wrote:

Got any pictures?

Nope and I've since sold the extensions.

Best way to describe it is if you have the ends of the extensions parallel (like the ends of the mono extensions would sit) you end up with a 2.5-3cm gap between the extensions. You could roll them outwards to get a bit more space but I wanted the opposite, to have my extensions canted in towards the centre of the bike.

http://zipp.com/bars/vuka-alumina-extensions/

If you can a look at the photos here it may make a bit more sense. The photo from above shows how the shifter end of the extensions sit closer than the end which would go into the plug in.

f you have an aero bar that allows you to change the width at the base bar they would be a great extension but with a fixed width on the plug in mono extension they are a bit crap.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inside the brake cover works fine with a decent rare earth magnet. I have a 2011 SC in the stand at the moment which has a magnet in there. (Very similar layout). I'll try and remember to take a photo when I get to the rear brake.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea i saw that one for 100 but no clue if we can order the clamps it is missing.... thoughts

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any advice / pics etc... on how to cleanly route cables through the plug-in extension? I'm using Zipp Alumina Ski Bends but I don't see how to route the cables through the cut end without them doing an extreme bend. The Zipp extensions don't have other slots available so I was thinking about drilling a hole about 1 inch from them clamp mechanism of the plug-in mono and route the cables in that way. Being aluminum extensions should be fine... Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Does anyone have any advice / pics etc... on how to cleanly route cables through the plug-in extension? I'm using Zipp Alumina Ski Bends but I don't see how to route the cables through the cut end without them doing an extreme bend. The Zipp extensions don't have other slots available so I was thinking about drilling a hole about 1 inch from them clamp mechanism of the plug-in mono and route the cables in that way. Being aluminum extensions should be fine... Any other ideas?

There really doesn't appear to be a perfect way. Just got my zipp evo extensions and was assessing how to route the cables. I'm either going to route it externally (covered up in mostly bar tape) and thread them through the holes in the plugin extension or route the cables internally through the entire bar and then connect it to the junction box on top of the stem cover with any excess cable tucked underneath the stem cover.

I'm sure when I go to execute, this will all change but that's my plan for now.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the end I drilled the extensions and got the cables out through the bottom. Because I have mechanical shifting I didn't have another option other than routing them externally which would have sucked. I'm curious how the evo extensions work out (I went with regular ski bends). I decided not to use evos because of the inward bend shape and because I thought the tips would end up too close together. Post a pic when you're done ;)

stevej wrote:
sp1ke wrote:

There really doesn't appear to be a perfect way. Just got my zipp evo extensions and was assessing how to route the cables. I'm either going to route it externally (covered up in mostly bar tape) and thread them through the holes in the plugin extension or route the cables internally through the entire bar and then connect it to the junction box on top of the stem cover with any excess cable tucked underneath the stem cover.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
In the end I drilled the extensions and got the cables out through the bottom. Because I have mechanical shifting I didn't have another option other than routing them externally which would have sucked. I'm curious how the evo extensions work out (I went with regular ski bends). I decided not to use evos because of the inward bend shape and because I thought the tips would end up too close together. Post a pic when you're done ;)

stevej wrote:
sp1ke wrote:

Forgot you mechanical. Luckily I have di2 so I have some different options. Going to start on it this weekend (I hope). I'll report back when I get it situated. I did a quick eye compare of the width between the two extensions (plug in verse standard mono extension) and I don't think it's too narrow for me. I used to roll my bars inward but stopped doing that when I got the newest sc as it didn't let me. The evo's come like they are already rolled inward so I don't think there is any need to roll them any more inward.

The one thing I need figure out is mounting my Garmin. I like my computer to be higher up towards my hands but the extensions aren't round there. Going to need to get an Alden design mount. Just need to determine the proper width.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the carbon evo 110's with etap clics. routed them all the way through the extensions and then back over the top of the mono piece and into the holes. from there it's all internal until they come out of the stem cover and plug into the blip box. had them going underneath the mono previously but I think over is cleaner.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Can you post a picture?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
disassembled this morning for Eagleman. I'll shoot you one next week if you really want to see.

I should note that I use the medium far stem with the shortest riser so the gap from the mono extension to the base bar is minimal. if you use the tallest riser then my method might not be that clean. you could probably go straight into the riser on either side, especially if you have a little tilt on the mono.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I got it. Good call on running it directly through the riser/mono spacer if you have enough tilt. I run a low far stem with the second smallest (25mm) mono spacer/riser.

Going to play with it this weekend. Thanks.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much done except for some fine tuning. Ignore the hideous garmin mount, it's just temporary until an Alden design'ed one shows up. Cabling ended up very clean. There's about 7 degrees of tilt on the plug-in extension in the pictures. Going to move that down a bit I think.

The extensions are the shortest I could make them. I wanted the shifter buttons a little closer to me but I can't push the extensions towards me anymore due to the change in shape on these carbon evo bars. Wouldn't be a problem If I had e-tap as the shimano shifters add quite a bit of length. I do like how they bring my hands closer together and how these bars force you into a certain wrist angle/shape.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks good, dude. I've been very happy with the extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks dope. I'll probably switch to evos at some point. Contemplating going with di2/etap
Last edited by: sp1ke: Jun 10, 17 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Looks dope. I'll probably switch to evos at some point. Contemplating going with di2/etap

eTap makes traveling with this bike so much easier. Unbolt the mono extension and unplug from the blip box (I have mine on the stem cover). Put it anywhere since it is free from the bike now. Lay the base bar to the side and good to go. It was a lot harder when you had to deal with the base bar and the extension as a bigger, bulkier, less movable item.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's some video of before and after...

S-bend Mono-extensions

Zipp Carbon Evo extensions

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arms, shoulder and chest look much more relaxed in that second video!!!
Did u sell your s-bends? If the ones I purchased second hand don't show up I might hit you up.

I am guessing you are using that mono-plug front end, Are you able to run wires from the extensions through the mono-plug

PS thanks for the pic of the arm pad difference!!! tri-rig has more of my money

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [k(id)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
k(id) wrote:
With the low-far stem, if you "shave" off the little mounting pieces on the Di2 junction box, depending on the depth (fore/aft) position of your mono extension-- specifically how much the end overlaps the stem cover toward the rider --you might still be able to squeeze it in there. You will have to set the box on top of the stem cover, then install the mono-extension on top of it. This is what I did.... the rear derailleur reset button is still accessible thru the top slot of the mono extension. Upon a disassemble and re-inspection, the box didn't mar the stem cover (yet...)

-kellen
Aside from glue how else are people sitting their junction boxes on the stem covers? Small holes drilled and zip ties?
Quote Reply

Prev Next