Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
ok. May have been asked but....

I walk for 2.5minutes then start running.
I run for 20minutes
I walk for 1.5 minutes.
I perform 5-10 wind sprints with light jog/run between which takes about 5-7minutes

total workout time is 32 minutes.

Does this count as 30min run??

I would say yes, absolutely. I mean, come on, you wouldn't log this as separate workouts anywhere else.
Last edited by: TriWithT1: Dec 14, 15 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriWithT1 wrote:
Triagain2 wrote:
ok. May have been asked but....

I walk for 2.5minutes then start running.
I run for 20minutes
I walk for 1.5 minutes.
I perform 5-10 wind sprints with light jog/run between which takes about 5-7minutes

total workout time is 32 minutes.

Does this count as 30min run??

I would say yes, absolutely. I mean, come on, you wouldn't log this as separate workouts anywhere else.

2.5 + 20 + 5 = 27.5 so this does not count as a run technically
2.5 + 20 + 7 = 29.5 so this still does not count as a run.

To be safe jog 2.5 minutes and you're golden. If you have enough energy to sprint, then adding 2.5 minutes won't put you in injury territory. And feel free to use the new wussification 2 days of 15 minutes min with "make up time" the following day to put you on track. While the wussification rule was not intended to give the wind sprint boy a few extra minutes of "make up opportunity" now that I opened that can of worms, well, people are going to use it for all kinds of loopholes so whatever!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh boy, better modify my running program. I am doing Barry program and my time unit is 20min. I think I will wait for next year!m
Last edited by: Triagain2: Dec 14, 15 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gogogo! wrote:
i think randmart should make bibs for us to wear while we do the 100/100 (or the 70/100 in my case.

I made up a blank one for you to start with

You can use Sharpie, or crayon, or paste it into Powerpoint to put your name onto

If you're fortunate to have Photoshop [as I do] you can make like such

[the full-size blank can be found here]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why this is a hard challenge? 100 runs of 30min in 100 days?
Cake! Where is the spreadsheet to signup?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://training.slowtwitch.com/challenge/frequency/235

Here you go. See you in 100 days.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joined.
How do I add my run from today? I don't see where I can click to add; just summaries.

Edit: nevermind. Found it.
Last edited by: KingMidas: Dec 15, 15 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I fully understand that we've passed the point at which any grievances will be accomodated. However, I would like to properly honour this important festivus tradition, so (all in good fun) here it goes... ;-)

I got a lot of problems with you people:

1) Your forum stinks! There's too much bitching and complaining on this 100/100 forum thread thing. What's supposed to be a challenge becomes a whining contest to see who is more injured. Injuries suck, but save your complaints for your doc/physio/chiro. ;-)

2) Wussification of the sport has taken hold everywhere, especially on this 100/100 challenge where people want to count 15 minute warm up jogs as "runs". The point of a challenge is to see if you are man can possibly complete it, not to make the challenge easier to ensure success. It's sort of like abandoning the run of an Ironman, but demanding a finisher medal because you tried.... Nope, nope, nope.

Anyways, thanks again for hosting the challenge. Looking forward to logging plenty of base mileage over the next 90-something days. Good luck to all on your feats of strength. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [Spenny P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spenny P wrote:
Ok, I fully understand that we've passed the point at which any grievances will be accomodated. However, I would like to properly honour this important festivus tradition, so (all in good fun) here it goes... ;-)

I got a lot of problems with you people:

1) Your forum stinks! There's too much bitching and complaining on this 100/100 forum thread thing. What's supposed to be a challenge becomes a whining contest to see who is more injured. Injuries suck, but save your complaints for your doc/physio/chiro. ;-)

2) Wussification of the sport has taken hold everywhere, especially on this 100/100 challenge where people want to count 15 minute warm up jogs as "runs". The point of a challenge is to see if you are man can possibly complete it, not to make the challenge easier to ensure success. It's sort of like abandoning the run of an Ironman, but demanding a finisher medal because you tried.... Nope, nope, nope.

Anyways, thanks again for hosting the challenge. Looking forward to logging plenty of base mileage over the next 90-something days. Good luck to all on your feats of strength. ;-)

I agree with point number 2. But at least we're forcing people to catch up tomorrow with a 45 min run the next day. Messick just cancels the swim, and then let's Reilly call people Ironmen and then has the audacity to give out Kona slots the next day!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 23, 15 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha! Dev, I think you should start a festivus "Airing of the Grievances" thread for triathlon in general. I've got a bunch. "Dear triathlon, during the past year you have disappointed me in the following ways:"
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [Spenny P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spenny P wrote:
Haha! Dev, I think you should start a festivus "Airing of the Grievances" thread for triathlon in general. I've got a bunch. "Dear triathlon, during the past year you have disappointed me in the following ways:"

Bumping the thread from the last few years

Hey guys, Slowman reminded me yesterday to get the ball rolling for this year's 100/100 runs...starts on Dec 15th, but it's time for the annual airing of the grievances.

I'll get my first grievance out of the way since it is like 99% sure that I'll barely being doing any running during this time. It's been over a year battling around with a disc/nerve problem and associated spasms in my left leg making walking problematic and running near impossible much faster than 4mph (grievance number 1.....how can I even call 4 mph RUNNING....OK, both feet leave the ground, but barely). So I'll be doing a parallel solo 100/100 of swimming....goal to hit 300,000m in 100 days. I have had some success on the Woodway curve treadmill that's basically a non motorized hamster mill, where I can jog around at 5-6.5 mph every few days, so if the powers to be of this challenge allow running on this contraption (I don't see why not, it is actual running just on a weird surface), then I'll try to log a couple of jogs per week. But while I wait for various medical procedures to resolve (on consult list for a surgery....communist Canuckistani healthcare....don't all of you guys move up here in January, or our health care will get even more flooded)

If you want to use this thread to air grievances about triathlon in general, or WTC, Dalian Wanda that's all fine. Keep the grievances triathlon specific. No grieving about Electoral college, Popular Vote counts, or conflicts of interest on business empires vs public positions. Now if Trump enterprises buys Dalian Wanda to bring back all the Kona slots from China to USA, well OK, that's fair game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fighting an annular tear in my L5/S1, haven't run in 4-5 weeks now. Cortisone shot did nothing, hell they might've shot my spine full of malt liquor for all I know.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"they might've shot my spine full of malt liquor for all I know"

hey. that's not a bad idea.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
But while I wait for various medical procedures to resolve (on consult list for a surgery....communist Canuckistani healthcare....don't all of you guys move up here in January, or our health care will get even more flooded)
If you want to use this thread to air grievances about triathlon in general, or WTC, Dalian Wanda that's all fine. Keep the grievances triathlon specific. No grieving about Electoral college, Popular Vote counts, or conflicts of interest on business empires vs public positions. Now if Trump enterprises buys Dalian Wanda to bring back all the Kona slots from China to USA, well OK, that's fair game.[/quote

Good luck and No worries - America will be great again very soon so there are no grievances here.

Once Obamacare goes away - I expect my healthcare will become cheaper. Its gone through the roof since it became "affordable"

How about we drop the "threshold" to 3.1 miles or 30 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"they might've shot my spine full of malt liquor for all I know"

hey. that's not a bad idea.

I am going to ask my neurologist if malt liquor will work better than the cortisone they shot in my spine in Sep. Well at least that got me back to the point that i could walk across the parking lot to work, so there's that. I am thinking that they should just go in with the cheese grater and get rid of all the extra calcium buildup compressing the nerves!

Dan to answer your question on email, yes, I'll run the challenge again...my participation will be limited, but I don't need to run to manage the challenge, but there may be times that I'll be busy/sidetracked with other things in life (like my current quest to get to 1.2 million meters of swimming for the year....it's basically 1+ hours per day of swimming every day). Well that leaves 23 hours to do other stuff I guess so I am complaining that i can't use that excuse.

On the minimum run threshold, let's hear what the masses/alumni here have to say. I used to be adamant that it was 30, then we made concessions that you could split it apart in the day to get to 30. I think that is enough and fair, but in the age of wussification of things that are supposed to be hard, well anything is possible.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

During the Summer, I hosted the 2016 Screaming Tortise [It Only FEELS Endless] Endless Summer 100 Days / 100 Runs Challenge, wherein the minimum was 3 miles or 30 minutes

However, for the Slowtwitch crowd, who can probably drop a 24:00 5K without much trouble, what's another 6 minutes? Granted, we're all pressed for time, but ... it's SIX minutes!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grievance is the same as always....injury. This time it is a "nerve entrapment" in my R heel. Thought it was my PF flaring up again (or worse, a stress fracture) but my doc says the x-rays look good and PF doesn't usually show up where my pain is. Gave me a shot of cortisone, felt better for a few days but as soon as I ran again, the pain was back.

I did have a successful run yesterday, really focusing on shortening my stride and my forefoot strike, so maybe I just need to keep doing that...we'll see after today's run.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with keeping it to 30 minutes.. the challenge is about consistency not speed - no temptations to race through the 3.1 miles to get done faster.

On to the grievances. I broke my left fifth metatarsal running (how else) on Oct 11th and had 3 screws and a plate put in on Oct 19th. Just got off crutches last Tues thank God (I am in NYC so crutches are a nightmare) and in a boot until next Wednesday the 30th. My doc says I will be "100% by Christmas" but I hope I can jog slowly by Dec 15th; would love to take part in the challenge no matter how slow I go.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
gogogo! wrote:
i think randmart should make bibs for us to wear while we do the 100/100 (or the 70/100 in my case.

I made up a blank one for you to start with

You can use Sharpie, or crayon, or paste it into Powerpoint to put your name onto

If you're fortunate to have Photoshop [as I do] you can make like such

[the full-size blank can be found here]

Sorry folks, but with some recent changes at work, I'm out of the Photoshop business for the time being

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

During the Summer, I hosted the 2016 Screaming Tortise [It Only FEELS Endless] Endless Summer 100 Days / 100 Runs Challenge, wherein the minimum was 3 miles or 30 minutes

However, for the Slowtwitch crowd, who can probably drop a 24:00 5K without much trouble, what's another 6 minutes? Granted, we're all pressed for time, but ... it's SIX minutes!!!

And that's why it will not change. The majority of the ST crowd likes to race long so 30 minutes a day is nothing and your reference point of a 8 minute mile gives a good marathon time. (so it all definitely works for most people)

I prefer to get my run over in closer to 21 minutes a day so its a 42% increase.

But it was worth a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any possibility to have ST grab strava data to populate the log automatically? OR should this challenge use strava by setting up a group on there? it does do a weekly listing of highest mileage folks
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, I do not want to use strava for the challenge. It's an ST challenge, let's keep it here.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea. The only reason that I don't participate in the 100/100 Challenge is my laziness to populate fields on ST ... while Strava/Garmin does it all automatically
Quote Reply

Prev Next