Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think some people naturally have capillaries closer to the surface of the skin than others, which determines how well you deal with heat or cold. Could see this being determined by historical location. Main evidence is that people who tend to do well in heat bruise easily as well. Would love to see the thoughts of someone who actually knows though.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Cheers, all. Great, weird short season of racing. Can't wait to reconvene.

Omloop February 27th! (hopefully).

One more little sprint tomorrow, then see you all then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done, all. Let’s do it again (hopefully normally) in 2021.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
No one was waiting for Gaudu.............he, he, he

Ouch. That deserves a ten point penaty, to be assessed in next year's classics game.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Ouch. That deserves a ten point penaty, to be assessed in next year's classics game.

Should be rewarded, if anything :)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
eb wrote:
McNulty wrote:

OK, but did you just volunteer to organize? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
eb wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Agreed, that was on target :)

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got to say I am almost in disbelief that all 3 grand tours have made it through. By all accounts that I've heard from my mate the safety protocols have been the best at the Vuelta.

Chapeau.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I've got to say I am almost in disbelief that all 3 grand tours have made it through. By all accounts that I've heard from my mate the safety protocols have been the best at the Vuelta.

Chapeau.

I just remembered that Waiting For Godot is a play from a genre known as the "Theatre of the Absurd".
Seems appropriate.
Peace, all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its been a good run lads. Cheers to all and God bless cross. :)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...also, I'm pretty sure Ackermann is the first rider I've seen in a post race interview with a beer! haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
echappist wrote:
eb wrote:
McNulty wrote:

OK, but did you just volunteer to organize? :-)

I could be persuaded into doing it :)

McNulty wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Chapeau.

I just remembered that Waiting For Godot is a play from a genre known as the "Theatre of the Absurd".
Seems appropriate.
Peace, all.

Our resident English Lit expert just keeps on rolling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess most here already heard or read about it somewhere Yesterday but NTT supposedly has a deal signed for a main sponsor to replace NTT, which is good news for a lot of riders I guess. Not really coincedence that a few days ago, Riis announced he would leave the team as a team boss. Likely the new main sponsor didn't like having an ex-doper as a team boss, which was to be expected in the world we currently live in even though my guess is he would be really good at that job.. No idea yet who the sponsor is going to be, Perhaps Manuela Fundacion?

I'm thinking they'll be riding Giant bikes now that BMC moves to AG2R, and Giant are not represented by a mens team now.

Harry Tanfield moved from Katusha to AG2r and now back to the conti level with Ribble-Weldtite, back with Dan Bigham. Could the team be stepping up to pro tour since they're the nr1 British team?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Tao was in a video and said his first stage win at the Giro he did a peak 20 minutes of 440 watts during a 40 minute climb and the entire duration was well over 400 watts. He weighs 64.5 kilos. Let that sink in. Jai must have been pushing insane w / kg too all Giro.

Almost Pogacar like. ;)
Last edited by: turdburgler: Nov 22, 20 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes me feel like I need to find something else to try to be (reasonably) good at 😂
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey we can do that too! (The duration we hold those watts per kilo is just a hair different though)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Makes me feel like I need to find something else to try to be (reasonably) good at 😂

Given the numbers you previously provided, it’s safe to say that most won’t ever sniff that (at least on w/kg) basis. If that wouldn't suffice as an indication of reasonably good, i don’t know what would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kinda off topic and a general reply....typically NBC Sports Gold will cover cyclocross....I'm not seeing any races. Anyone know what's going on?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cross is always on topic. I don't know about NBC sport, but there are sites available that stream these events. Try Tiz Cycling free streams if your market doesn't afford you the luxury of watching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

Given the numbers you previously provided, it’s safe to say that most won’t ever sniff that (at least on w/kg) basis. If that wouldn't suffice as an indication of reasonably good, i don’t know what would.

Thanks! I can't complain but still humbling that I can only maintain that for 2-2,5min 😬 what I find the most impressive is how many times those guys can repeat those efforts (or close to those values).

CX is definitely on, a win from Michael Vanthourenhout today after Sweeck won the last 2 races. Much deserved. Next weekend, Wout makes his appearance again after a training camp in the mountains somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
echappist wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

Thanks! I can't complain but still humbling that I can only maintain that for 2-2,5min 😬 what I find the most impressive is how many times those guys can repeat those efforts (or close to those values).

It's a mindset thing. I think most of us here have tasted success at various levels, some at levels much higher than others. Carl Spackler wont the U.S. ITT nats for his age group. Turdburgler has done quite well.
The question becomes, what does one do, when one is not the best or even remotely close to the best. One way out is forlorn and dread what could never be accomplished. But the more productive way is to prioritize the process and let the results fall wherever they may. This is not an advocacy for "everyone gets a participation trophy", but rather a recognition that for the overwhelming majority of us (that is to say, population up to levels of 2.5-3 sigmas above the mean), it's much better for our mental health to focus on what we can control and improve, rather than letting everything be based on external validation in order to have meaning.

And for those of us at least a sigma above the mean, it would also serve us well to recognize that we "choose" our parents well and be thankful for that. Someone else a sigma below the mean genetically could easily do all the process work right and still not have the result the more fortunate have by half-assing things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prioritize the process is a beautiful message.

I have had to feel the pain of learning this so many times, but it really has been something I cling on to over the years. The process is where the peace is found for me. I have to do work every day on a good lot of things, but it is so rewarding. A lot of that was found for me after university when I had to become sober and learned that for someone wired the way I am, I have a real need to do specific work every day to just get through my own issues to grow.

It played out the same ways early in life even though I was unaware of it. My parents stuck me in a pool for swim clubs at 4 because the doctor said it would help with my asthma. I was so shite for a long time, but I loved it because I had friends who all worked with me every day. Eventually being good wasn't that rewarding even if it was nice for my ego. The build up to everything was always the tops.

The process of trying every day makes me whole. Every one of us does that differently, but I think its quite wonderful that we all seek it in our own ways. 50 watts at threshold or a million, people doing their best is inspiring.

Sorry for the rant. This is probably the most positive thread on the Twitch and it is a blast! :)
Last edited by: turdburgler: Nov 22, 20 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and ps, VAM calculations say Tao did 6.3 w/kg for the whole 38 minutes under optimal conditions with a draft. This year was wild. There were comments about the Giro or Vuelta being weak, but I certainly do not see that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree! Everyone has to work hard to get where they are, doesn't matter which level that brings them too. And the process is what makes it fun. There will always be someone who's better, but I train to beat the me from a few days/weeks/months/years ago. If that also allows me to get a better result in any kind of competition then ofcourse that's the icing on the cake. As an engineer I'm a bit of a numbers guy so that also provides a lot of self motivation haha.

turdburgler wrote:
Oh and ps, VAM calculations say Tao did 6.3 w/kg for the whole 38 minutes under optimal conditions with a draft. This year was wild. There were comments about the Giro or Vuelta being weak, but I certainly do not see that.

Absolutely, I've enjoyed all three of them and the way they developed. Even though the field was arguably perhaps not as strong, I think the Vuelta was my favorite. All the uphill finishes and the battles. The Tour was too controlled mostly. The Giro has always been my favorite since it at least includes some time trialling (definitely not enough, we need a prologue, a +60k TTT and a +40k ITT at least), and it was also full of surprises.

3 months until the Omloop guys!
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Nov 22, 20 11:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next