Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to register for Trek Cup yesterday and the sunday Cat 3 race is sold out, couldn't justify the hotel rooms to not race the big day :(

Super excited to watch some cross this year!

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I cracked up at Jan's joke about Remco staying away from the winter parties, as he himself obviously had a long sordid past with in many ways.

I took that as more to do with putting Winter weight on, not necessarily any unsavory hijinks

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s good to see that CX is still doing well, as road racing participation has really cratered in WI.

And to think, Milwaukee and Madison used to be the hotbed of cycling in the Midwest, drawing the likes of Lemond and Hampsten when they were amateurs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We lost something like 3 weekends of cross in the twin cities this year, too much burn out from promoters. Seems to be doing well over in eastern WI still.

I'd like to see remco on a cross bike, that raw power would be impressive to see on a big sandy cross course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
It’s good to see that CX is still doing well, as road racing participation has really cratered in WI.

Pothole problems?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Hey now, we still have Lombardia and Nibalia's ciao to the peloton.

And oddly enough, the Tour of Guangxi might be worth watching this year.

I think it's cancelled (at least according to procyclingstats)

And yes, still a few more races to go, and then it's cross season! I'm actually looking forward to spectating Trek Cross (~50 minutes away from me).

Not to worry. Stage 1 of the CRO Race kicked off today. Some interesting riders (Ineos have Kwiatkowski, Thomas, and Viviani among others and Vingegaard is there for JV) although I don't think most of them will be too concerned about their results.

https://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=773&y=2022&k=8

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
We lost something like 3 weekends of cross in the twin cities this year, too much burn out from promoters. Seems to be doing well over in eastern WI still.

I'd like to see remco on a cross bike, that raw power would be impressive to see on a big sandy cross course.

Alas, he’d always be handicapped relative to those with muscle memory going back a decade or more. Also don’t see him faring well with the explosive starts. Could be very good at reeling in people though.

RandMart wrote:
echappist wrote:

Pothole problems?

Freeze-thaw cracks are a lot worse than pot holes. Never-ending rumble strip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus, you can never be sure if the tar snakes are gonna be of the slippery or sticky variety

Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following the relegation battle has been my guilty pleasure for the past few months. Raul has posted his update to the current situation. Three weeks to go until the hammer drops (or until the UCI changes their mind).

The Cliffs Notes. IPT will be relegated. They have an outside chance of catching TotalEnergies for one of the two "Wildcards to all WorldTour events" spots, but even that doesn't look likely. Lotto will need a lot of things to fall their way in order to avoid relegation, but they're going to get the other "Wildcards to all WorldTour events" spots

https://lanternerouge.com.au/2022/09/26/israel-premier-tech-is-virtually-relegated-whilst-the-world-championships-save-ef-bikeexchange-relegation-battle/

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Following the relegation battle has been my guilty pleasure for the past few months. Raul has posted his update to the current situation. Three weeks to go until the hammer drops (or until the UCI changes their mind).

The Cliffs Notes. IPT will be relegated. They have an outside chance of catching TotalEnergies for one of the two "Wildcards to all WorldTour events" spots, but even that doesn't look likely. Lotto will need a lot of things to fall their way in order to avoid relegation, but they're going to get the other "Wildcards to all WorldTour events" spots

https://lanternerouge.com.au/2022/09/26/israel-premier-tech-is-virtually-relegated-whilst-the-world-championships-save-ef-bikeexchange-relegation-battle/

Interesting analysis, thanks.

Link fixed:
https://lanternerouge.com.au/...e-relegation-battle/
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave B has been commentating on the lure of signing Remco. I can't wait for Don LeFevre's next column (never thought I'd utter those words).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a chance to rewatch the women's race, and I have to say, not impressed with Uttrup Ludwig, Niwiedoma, and Moolman-Pasio. They had a 10+ second gap (along with Longo Borghini and Lippert), but only Longo Borghini and Lippert were arsed enough (or rather, primarily Lippert was) to drive the break. Longo Borghini has an excuse (Persico in the chasing pack), but her turns were at least bona fide efforts.

The same can't be said for the other three, all riding not to lose rather than to stay away. Serves them all right that they got jack squat from it. Only "injustice" from all this is that Lippert was too tired from all the pulling to even have a medal to show for it. Maddening, like how Longo Borghini tossed away any chance at a victory at Amstel 2021 and allowed the group containing Vos to come back.

Couldn't care less how "authentic" Uttrup Ludwig's interviews may be. She wanted to be sly like a fox but ended up getting herself outfoxed.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 28, 22 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw it pretty much the same way. Lack of cooperation in the break, even though there was no concerted chase. The break had a lot to gain from cooperating - everyone would've had a fair shot at a medal. And they should've known that they'd get nothing at all if they got caught. I think they would have stayed away if everyone would've at least pulled through briefly, instead of skipping turns entirely or pulling off as soon as they hit the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

It was cool that Worst came to the U.S.

Over in Europe, looks like van Empel has reached a new level. Which is not surprising at all.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which other big hitters are showing up? At least Neff and Brand for sponsorship purposes?

And where did you find the start list?
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 29, 22 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure would be nice if procyclingstats.com also had CX and MTB, besides just Road - unless they already do, and I can't find it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Sure would be nice if procyclingstats.com also had CX and MTB, besides just Road - unless they already do, and I can't find it?

I've wished the same thing. Otherwise they should change their name to proroadcyclingstats.com.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, well, well ... look what I found ...

https://cyclocross24.com/

Sorta has the same format as PCS

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Startlist is empty for now

Pretty sure Trek Baloise will send a few riders; just an issue of who exactly will fly over. Ditto for Team Dipping Sauce

Was hoping that Vos would race, but she's done a lot of traveling lately
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 29, 22 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Which other big hitters are showing up? At least Neff and Brand for sponsorship purposes?

And where did you find the start list?

Sorry, I was talking about the two non-UCI races in Rochester last weekend, not the upcoming one. Though I imagine if Worst flew in for those, she might as well stick around.

Not sure why Honsinger wasn't in Rochester. Maybe still has road responsibilities.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 29, 22 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Dave B has been commentating on the lure of signing Remco. I can't wait for Don LeFevre's next column (never thought I'd utter those words).

"Too stupid for words."

Nevertheless PL gives us a good number of words anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Startlist is empty for now

I saw that too, but at least it's something to follow results with as the UCI site is kinda weird - for me, anyway

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cross Results has some data on who is racing:

https://www.crossresults.com/?n=racers&sn=pred

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:

Partially burn out, partially just not getting shit done in time….I hope to see it come around next year.

Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if a guy could set up a non profit or something of the sort that could pool donations from "sponsors" that could then provide the initial capital for someone that wanted to host a race. Say you come to me and have a race you want to host, my NPO provides a $5,000 scholarship to cover the initial fees etc.

Said NPO would provide numbers and some other stuff splattered with the sponsors that contributed to the NPO. After the initial $5k or whatever is covered the remaining money gets split between NPO and host team.

This would leave the "host team" only liable for course set up etc. I know Endurance Promotions does a bunch of that stuff, just not sure how their business model is really set up.

Quote Reply

Prev Next