Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:
@ Echappist
I couldn't stand it so I looked it up. Dude was fast. :)
I had no idea.

Tyler Hamilton?

Nope

Is he known for a special nutty cream?

DZ?

Not that one either. You guys are overlooking someone obvious
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Haga?

I'm stumped, even going back through and look at the last 10 years of results. Unless there's some dual nationality situation I'm not aware of or including the Giro Rosa, eb should get a point, as far as I can tell.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 3, 19 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i cheated so i won't post name - obvious yet obscure heh
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Haga?

I'm stumped, even going back through and look at the last 10 years of results. Unless there's some dual nationality situation I'm not aware of or including the Giro Rosa, eb should get a point, as far as I can tell.

It was Phinney in the 2012 prologue ITT

TTT doesnt count, as it's a multi-rider event (not to mention that Phinney was gapped by his own team during the TTT, due to injury
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i raced "with" him.......same even, same day, different, um, level
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if people didn't think of it, b/c of all the flak lobbed at him. Dude was supremely talented (finishing 2nd place in Worlds ITT in 2012 was no mean feat, only 6 seconds behind Tony Martin), and that motorcycle-caused crash probably permanently set him back a few percent.
Last edited by: echappist: Jun 3, 19 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
Chapau to Nibali

He had great form, but I don't know how this isn't one he will be slapping himself in the forehead for the rest of his life.

Lost by 1:05 and gave up 3x that on two stages playing around with Roglic on two stages instead of riding.

Sure hindsight is 20/20, but no great champion is so cocky he allows any rival (and Carapaz has to be a rival after finishing 4th the year before - behind Froome, Dumoulin, and Lopez) to go up the mountain without a chase. He even admitted at the time he might be losing the race as a result.

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah...Nibali is going to have a lot of regrets from this tour, but honestly I didn't really have a problem with it at the time. He needed to make up what seemed like a monumental 1:40 on Roglic, and he figured the way to do that was to make him work to chase the other GC guys that were way back on time and attack him late. I don't think anyone thought that after Roglic's performance in week 1, that they could just ride him off their wheels. I bought into it that Roglic was playing poker with his big lead...I think Nibali did too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
It was Phinney in the 2012 prologue ITT

TTT doesnt count, as it's a multi-rider event (not to mention that Phinney was gapped by his own team during the TTT, due to injury

eb (way back upthread) wrote:
Phinney in the TTT?

I feel so cheated, so used ... :-)
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yeah...Nibali is going to have a lot of regrets from this tour, but honestly I didn't really have a problem with it at the time. He needed to make up what seemed like a monumental 1:40 on Roglic, and he figured the way to do that was to make him work to chase the other GC guys that were way back on time and attack him late. I don't think anyone thought that after Roglic's performance in week 1, that they could just ride him off their wheels. I bought into it that Roglic was playing poker with his big lead...I think Nibali did too.

I saw how strong Carapaz was in stage 13 (see post 285). Actually, I didn't see it as the camera was only on Landa and Nibali/Roglic, but when then results came up I saw Carapas took over a minute on Nibali/Roglic -- all alone, despite attacking much, much later than Landa, and without all the helpers Landa had. If anyone in Nibali's team was paying attention, they would have told him don't let that guy go -- yet they let Carapaz have two minutes the next day.

Cyclingnews said it well today:

Quote:
The Sicilian myopically preferred to focus on Roglic – his bête noire of the Corsa Rosa, and the two were so presumptuous to think they were the only contenders for final victory this year that they committed the biggest mistake in Grand Tour racing: they let rivals gain precious seconds. There should never be any gifts in Grand Tours.

Yet I do agree that the burden to chase was on Roglic. Jumbo-Visma were idiots on stage 14 deciding to let Carapaz ride into Pink. Their mistake was the biggest.

Nibali is one of my favorite riders. Special mention to this statistic, also from cyclingnews:

Quote:
In his 21st Grand Tour appearance, this was his 11th podium finish, a feat bettered only by Jacques Anquetil with 13 and Bernard Hinault, Eddy Merckx and Felice Gimondi with 12.

I'd love for him to podium in the Tour -- crazy as it seems considering all the strong fresh riders who will be in that race -- yet he is the Shark.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHHHHH yes. MVDP is racing road worlds this year. The MTB community just collectively let out a sigh of relief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Special mention to this statistic, also from cyclingnews:

Quote:
In his 21st Grand Tour appearance, this was his 11th podium finish, a feat bettered only by Jacques Anquetil with 13 and Bernard Hinault, Eddy Merckx and Felice Gimondi with 12.

Wow. Who knew?

Even with all his Tours, [and one Giro] Lance only has 8 podiums ... I mean ZERO, sorry

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Vincenzo is bringing his personal doctor (who also looked after Pantani) with him to Trek! Hmmm
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm, is right, considering he gave us one of the greatest responses do a doping question ever

"La madre degli imbecili è sempre incinta" = The mother of idiots is always pregnant

Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
The MTB community just collectively let out a sigh of relief.

But Oliver Naesen is rocking back and forth in a fetal position.

Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I loved that post
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Hmmmm, is right, considering he gave us one of the greatest responses do a doping question ever

"La madre degli imbecili è sempre incinta" = The mother of idiots is always pregnant

;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw that and thought the same. MTB community stoke level: peaking. Road: Not so much.

Should be a wickedly good road worlds this year. Gotta think he and Sagan are favs, with plenty of 4.5 star guys like GvA, Valverde, Alaphilippe, Kwiato.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Saw that and thought the same. MTB community stoke level: peaking. Road: Not so much.

Should be a wickedly good road worlds this year. Gotta think he and Sagan are favs, with plenty of 4.5 star guys like GvA, Valverde, Alaphilippe, Kwiato.

Sagan seems stuck in his starting blocks. Just haven't looked "right"; hoping that he'll turn it around

MvdP on the road should make things really interesting. Too young (and talented) to know what the words moderation and caution means
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Sagan seems stuck in his starting blocks. Just haven't looked "right"; hoping that he'll turn it around

Not to sound facetious, but maybe he's depressed? The divorce last year, and a bad Spring maybe be getting to him

Plus, all his usual "racing frenemies" [Cav especially] are kinda going through the same thing - for different reasons, of course

I could be misreading

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I could be misreading

Yeah, I probably am

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByYQF22iF05/

Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dutch team is typically very deep. Would be interesting to see how the team pecking order is set. Must be kind of weird to have this "kid" who's not even riding road full time show up and some of these hardened pros may have to ride for him.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is the reigning road national champion (and CX and MTB for that matter), so I'd say that gives him some cred among the other riders on the national team. It doesn't look like he's racing nationals this year though based on the schedule he posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
AHHHHH yes. MVDP is racing road worlds this year. The MTB community just collectively let out a sigh of relief.

And a bunch of roadies just shit themselves!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Dauphine is any indicator, the TdF is going to be a 21 day victory lap for Ineos. TD claims to have lingering knee issues from Giro crash. Pinot is looking game but can't see him as a real contender. Quintana may not even win the polemic on his own team. Porte will have an untimely mechanical or crash (and didn't even make front group today). Bardet: love the way he races but hasn't really been in it for a while. Yates? Don't see it.

Not inconceivable that Ineos sweeps the GC podium.

<Sighs>
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 10, 19 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
If the Dauphine is any indicator, the TdF is going to be a 21 day victory lap for Ineos. TD claims to have lingering knee issues from Giro crash. Pinot is looking game but can't see him as a real contender. Quintana may not even win the polemic on his own team. Porte will have an untimely mechanical or crash (and didn't even make front group today). Bardet: love the way he races but hasn't really been in it for a while. Yates? Don't see it.

Not inconceivable that Ineos sweeps the GC podium.

<Sighs>

TdF

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Hope to be pleasantly surprised but I can't see how or by whom.

Let's talk transfers. I was working in the yard at the old ranchero and saw what looked to be a super skinny pro ride by in the red and black of Ineos. Now, not many Europros in VA and fewer this time of year. Could've been Ben King but too skinny and he's still under contract with DD....unless they just said screw it, we've had enough.......;)

I'm just seeing things, I think.....anyway, who is going where? Nibs is going to Trek, the Washington Redskins of the UCI- a place where old pros go to get one more fatty of a check. Who else is a free agent?
Quote Reply

Prev Next