Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2017 Stem and mono spacers [sbear55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picked up this used 2017 last weekend. A couple paint chips near the BB from a dropped chain. Otherwise it's stock and in amazing condition.

It's for my kid and a quick couple looks says I'll be switching to med-far stem and a shorter spacer. While I'm doing that work is there any other preventative maintenance I should consider?

I'm already assuming a full recable. I know the 2017 had some aerobar bolt breakage issues. Is that isolated or is a change to the 6mm hardware and extensions warranted?

I've built bikes from the frame up including wheels from a pile of parts but the speed concept might make me hand my money to a professional!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Stem and mono spacers [sbear55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea to re-cable especially the rear brake.

My recommendation:
While you have everything apart and re-assembling, for sure replace the following:

- Change the headset bearings; literally, it is just 2 bearings. The top one is really small and tends to wear and have an "index feeling"
(to mitigate the above, make sure to use very little torque on the steerer bolt, per the manual, as too much tension will make this issue appear a lot faster; riding rougher roads will also cause this to happen faster.)

- Order the handlebar hardware kit (bolts and nuts) and put all new bolts in there
(watch out, there are newer mono versions with larger (6mm) bolts and T-nuts, but the 2017 one I believe should be on the previous version, that should be covered by the handlebar/stem fastener kit mentioned above. (part #437027)

This would help insuring that you are good for a while!

hope this helps

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
RXL base bar [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone.
I’ve got a 2013 SC 7.8. It’s still going strong.
It has got bontrager RXL carbon base bars. These base bars have a standard circular cross-section in the middle, for a standard stem.
Would anyone have any idea where I could get a new base bar? I can’t seem to find them anywhere!
Thanks very much!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a gen1 with a high/near stem and I'm having a hell of a time fitting the rubber top tube grommet back on. I bought it used as a frame build so I'm not sure how it was set up before.

The rigidness of the housing mixed with the angle of the housing coming out from the stem makes this look like an impossible feat. The grommet won't come close to fully seating properly let alone being strong enough to overcome the pressure of the housing.

Not to mention when I turn the bars the stem seems to push the stationary grommet out of place as well.

What an absolutely horrible design. Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this?

*Edit* attached picture. Housing was pulled back a bit prior to taking this photo. There is not usually that much slack.

Last edited by: KFBR392: Oct 10, 21 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I apologize if this question has been asked before, as I am new to the forum and cannot figure out an efficient way to search for the answer. My question is what type of disc wheel are people running on their speed concept? I am wondering if there are any recommended disc wheels that accommodate the clearance issues with the duotrap sensor, for my 2019 SC. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [cnigro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure people have a HED Jet+disc, zipp disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Zipp Super 9 fits just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

is there among you someone with similar body proportions as I have?

I am 5 feet 11 and have an inside leg length of 35.43 inches (180cm tall, 90cm inseam)

I have read that the Speed Concept is well suited because it has a short top tube. The specification from the reach is not very different from other bikes though.

Can someone maybe help me? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TTbikeNewbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a PRO one - fits fine. It's almost flat - not much of a lenticular bit on that
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TTbikeNewbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest getting a bike fit on a fit bike with a reputable fitter. He/she will give you coordinates (mainly pad x & pad y) which you then can figure out what frame and stem options are best suited for you. The idea is that you want to “fit the bike to you”. Not… “fit you to the bike” like many do and they make a couple thousand dollar mistake.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cnigro wrote:
I apologize if this question has been asked before, as I am new to the forum and cannot figure out an efficient way to search for the answer. My question is what type of disc wheel are people running on their speed concept? I am wondering if there are any recommended disc wheels that accommodate the clearance issues with the duotrap sensor, for my 2019 SC. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am running HED Jet Black Disc, no clearance issues at all. Best bang for the buck.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the new sc, I’m pretty sure I’m a medium with the lowest base bar. Just not sure about the arm cup length.

Pad x: 472 mm (mid pad)
Pay y: 595 mm

Appreciate the help.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for sizing/fit recommendations for the new SC as well. I posted in a different thread and was directed here.

A number of articles on the new SC mention a "fit calculator" on the SC microsite, including the write-up on the Slowtwitch front page. I haven't been able to find the fit calculator. Any chance it is live somewhere and I just am missing it?

Or, if someone has their hands on the "hard copy" fit guidance, my fit metrics are as follows:

Saddle height: 839 mm
Pad stack: 700 mm
Pad reach: 506 mm

Trying to figure out which of the following I should order: 1) L or XL frame, 2) mid/high/low base bar, and 3) near/mid/far tower toppers.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [fatguytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Received a sneak peak at the fit chart.

You could fit on a L with far/mid or far/high, or on an XL with far and all 3 basebar heights. XL with far/mid puts you almost directly in the middle of reach adjustability while using 55mm (out of 85mm max) of pedastal, with a pad to hood drop of 87mm. XL with far/high is still in the middle of reach, with 40mm of spacers and a pad to hood drop of 52mm. Personally I'd go with the XL far/mid as spacers under the pads are sexy, but if that creates an uncomfortable drop to the hoods for you, the far/high will work perfectly fine as well.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Nov 18, 21 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the NEW disc brake Speed Concept as well. I'm currently on a Large Gen1 Speed Concept, so I think a Large disc brake SC is what I need BUT I was hoping for about 10mm more reach (hopefully the new cockpit can accommodate that), and I am not sure which pursuit bar I would need given that there are 3 heights.

Pad X (stack from BB): 613mm
Pad Y (reach from BB): 502 mm
Drop from pads to basebar/handholds: 19mm

Any input would be great. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, that is incredibly helpful
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that reach to center or back of pads? (And you swapped x and y there but they're described correctly so no worries).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back of pads. Thank you (and thanks for correcting my poor coordinate grammar! no sarcasm intended).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. You're in a tough spot here between L and XL. You'd need the far stem on either option. Reach maxes out at 511 for the L and 530 for the XL, but only the L low had the ability to get you low enough, and even then the low limit is 607. So you'd make it, but just barely. I'd have to look at both charts, but it might be that this one isn't quite as long/low even in the longest/lowest configuration.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post the fit chart?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting... thank you. I"m using a Tririg Alpha to hit the current numbers on the Gen1 SC. I assumed that the Gen3 disc could get me at least to the same spot if not a little better with more adjustment options. Maybe it was the Tririg that was giving me all the extra space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Not sure on the etiquette there. I'll let Dan share it it's allowed. I'd assume it's ready but they haven't built out the webpage yet.

Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Our online fit calculator will be a bit late to the party, but we're working on getting that out soon. It will be the best way to dial in your fit, all the way down to the tower base and adjustment spacers for each angle (0,7,14 degrees).

In the meantime, I can share a document here that can help generalize fits. Keep in mind, the angle spacers can affect your components needed for a fit so aim to be within the middle of the given range charts to start. This is something I edited and dressed up for you all, so hopefully it helps.

I'll also do my best to aid fits, but keep in mind it takes some time to get to everyone, so if I don't get to you right away, don't worry I got you! Be sure to also lean on your local fitters, they are the pros (and definitely know more about fits than I).

Cheers!

Edit: Uploaded the correct document - it didn't load all of the pages before and full size it was too large to upload.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Nov 19, 21 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. My challenge always comes down to reach. Could you give me some guidance on frame size based on the following:

Pad stack 680mm
Pad reach (back of pad) 512mm
Saddle height (bb to center of saddle profile) 821mm

Cheers
Quote Reply

Prev Next