Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
There isn't. Look up the WAVA age-graded results for running, or any endurance sport, for that matter. There isn't a huge dropoff until the 60+ age range. At 40-50, the dropoff is small enough that you can likely outperform your younger self with superior training unless you were training at pro/elite level at age 18-30.

Age graded results reflect the best performances of talented runners who can still train at a relatively optimum level. We've all known the exceptional runners, men in their 60s or women in their 50s running sub 3 hour marathons. They are, by definition, the exceptions upon which results are indexed.

The ability to train and race as effectively as the top veteran runners isn't matched by many of us. Age-graded stats do not represent an accurate linear decline for many, possibly most, of us. Particularly so for a weight-bearing sport like running.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with that. Arthritis and disease doesn't get factored into the attrition rate when using wava tables.

But if you are not hobbled by one of those things and can train well, it's a good guideline for expectations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And it's a better metric to monitor recent improvements and current fitness, rather than lamenting over comparisons to antiquated PRs.

:-(
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
plant_based wrote:
RandMart wrote:
A new word [maybe?] that D'Kid made up last night

what’s a D’Kid?

Anyone?

I googled this word and it doesn’t exist.

If you hung out in the LR you would know that this is a RandMart-ism referring to his offspring.

Not that anyone should hang out in the LR, but those who do, pick up on esoterica that even G**gl* miss.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
plant_based wrote:
plant_based wrote:
RandMart wrote:

what’s a D’Kid?

Anyone?

If you hung out in the LR you would know that this is a RandMart-ism referring to his offspring.

Not that anyone should hang out in the LR, but those who do, pick up on esoterica that even G**gl* miss.

Oh ok - thanks for the update - it was really bugging me - I couldn't figure it out!

I'm in the LR sometimes ... not often enough though it seems :)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is she also against the pity clap? There is nothing more soul sucking than the pity clap.I have been fortunate to only find myself at the wrong end of the clap a handful of times but I would have rathered people yelled SHAME SHAME SHAME!!.

I think the worst occasion was at the end of a marathon where I had hit the wall and then fallen off a cliff. I was just trying to get to the finish so I could get my stuff and move past the race altogether and was subjected to the clap. It was a firm reminder of how brutal endurance racing can be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally get that. I deleted Strava in order to do my easy runs really easy and don't be tempted to fall into the "medium-pace" kinda effort. It worked.

I also think Strava in general is just an app for showing off because why would anyone else be interested in sharing their workouts.. but yeah, that's just a personal side note ;)
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
plant_based wrote:
plant_based wrote:
RandMart wrote:

what’s a D’Kid?

Anyone?

Yeah, sorry I didn’t get back to you

D’Kid & D’Wife are collectively known as D’Girls

I simply never was into the DH/DW/DD scene when referring to family online [where D=darling, devoted, etc.] and Barney Rubble would always say “Hey Fred!!! D’Wives!!!” or “Hey Fred!!! D’Girls!!!” when they were about to get busted for some sort of nonsense, so I grabbed on to that

ETA: I use it over on this side too!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...=post_time&mh=25

"Your search for d'kid in posts made by randmart returned 1072 results"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jun 17, 20 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
And it's a better metric to monitor recent improvements and current fitness, rather than lamenting over comparisons to antiquated PRs.

I thought - or the way I've seen it used, anyway - it the exact opposite of that; that is, as a tool to say "I don't suck as bad as I think I do"

YMMV

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
I was doing "speed work" last Friday and thinking about this. All my PR's in running happened in the 80's and 90's. Now at nearly 60 my 400 repeats are slower than my average mile pace on an easy 5 mile run was 25 years ago.

We get old, we get injured, and life takes turns that we didn't expect, but at least we are still running, biking, and swimming, which puts us way ahead of the average person (at least in the US).

Are you in your 60+? Shouldn't be that much of a dropoff before that even for 25 year differential. I'm 25+ years from my 18 yr old self, and sure, while I never really 'maxxed' my run training in x-country HS, I'm faster now than I was back then, despite being 20 lbs heavier. I don't think I'll hit my age 30 maxxed PRs (done on up to 100mpw running) but it's not a matter of age there, it's a matter of lack of run-specific training.

Did you just "Pace-Shame" me?

It isn't just age that gets you. Old injuries from your youth will start causing problems. My work now requires long hours and frequent business trips. All I was trying to say in my post was everyone has their own challenges when it comes to running fast (or biking or swimming fast) and that no one that is still making an effort should be discounted because the vast majority of Americans are making almost 0 effort.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Is she also against the pity clap?

I would say "no" on that ... We volunteer at one of the last Rest Stops on the MS Bike Tour every year - ride on Saturday/tent on Sunday - and she's seen the very last riders + the Broom Wagon come & go through our tent ["The Tail of the Draggin'"], so she's seen suffering up close. She always gives them plenty of encouragement, good cheer, and "Great job!!!"

Quote:
There is nothing more soul sucking than the pity clap.I have been fortunate to only find myself at the wrong end of the clap a handful of times but I would have rathered people yelled SHAME SHAME SHAME!!.

I think the worst occasion was at the end of a marathon where I had hit the wall and then fallen off a cliff. I was just trying to get to the finish so I could get my stuff and move past the race altogether and was subjected to the clap. It was a firm reminder of how brutal endurance racing can be.

On our first MS Bike Tour [75 miles] we finished so late the DJ was gone, the hype music was silent, and the only "fans" were the folks who lived in the beach houses along the last mile or so; a couple cowbells, some sparse applause

It didn't really matter by then; all I wanted was a beer & some Boardwalk pizza

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'll agree with that. Arthritis and disease doesn't get factored into the attrition rate when using wava tables.

But if you are not hobbled by one of those things and can train well, it's a good guideline for expectations.

RandMart wrote:
satanellus wrote:

I thought - or the way I've seen it used, anyway - it the exact opposite of that; that is, as a tool to say "I don't suck as bad as I think I do"

YMMV

I think you, I and Lightheir (to whom I initially replied) are in basic agreement. That being the age-graded index is a good tool for us oldies to measure and assess our current performances.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Totally get that. I deleted Strava in order to do my easy runs really easy and don't be tempted to fall into the "medium-pace" kinda effort. It worked.

I also think Strava in general is just an app for showing off because why would anyone else be interested in sharing their workouts.. but yeah, that's just a personal side note ;)

We're doing a "Run-draiser" at work for the Food Bank of South Jersey, where our mileage determines the $$$ donated [some people are athletes, some are sponsors] and we're to use Starva, NIKE+, or some other app for accountability - submit mileage and screenshot of weekly results

Granted, even that can be fudged, but it would be a First Circle of Hell violation

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
cmart wrote:

We're doing a "Run-draiser" at work for the Food Bank of South Jersey, where our mileage determines the $$$ donated [some people are athletes, some are sponsors] and we're to use Starva, NIKE+, or some other app for accountability - submit mileage and screenshot of weekly results

Granted, even that can be fudged, but it would be a First Circle of Hell violation

Haha.. I've never seen these violations.Well.. is it First Circle of Hell when you're fudging your training log to do something good?
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigDig wrote:
We have a local half marathon that goes by my house at about mile 11. I was in the middle of catching and passing a guy who has been running alone for at least half a mile when we passed my house. My wife and kids are in the front yard and scream out "Run faster, you are embarrassing us!". I shrug and reply "I know, I am sorry" and drop the guy. Probably didn't give him a real confidence boost for those last two miles.

At one point during an IM I was passed by a guy at least 30 years older then me who only had one leg.

Shit happens. The thing I like about these races is while we are all racing at the same time we are all really racing against ourselves and locked in our own internal battle. What someone else is experiencing doesn't really impact me to much, it might give me a laugh or look on in awe, then, pack to my personal suffering.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:
At one point during an IM I was passed by a guy at least 30 years older then me who only had one leg.

Oh! D'Wife would always make note of the old guy who beat me ["... wearing hunting socks" sticks out in my mind], the old woman who beat me, little kid that beat me

I ran a HM on my birthday - Halloween 2015 - and I got beaten by a few Darth Vaders, a few Princess Leias, all The Avengers, Batman, Catwoman, The Dude [in a bathrobe and carrying a quart of milk], Walter White, Sponge Bob, a slice of pizza, and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man

In an unrelated incident, I got beaten by a Dunkin Donuts cup

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:

IMO, there's WAY more to the social appeal of Strava than just vanity. There's enjoyment and pride at the progress and good workouts/races of friends, the voyeuristic appeal and awe of following training by strong athletes who are out of your league, friendly competition among peers (or rivals), ability to share or sympathize with training injuries or setbacks and subsequent recovery, pragmatic aspects of sharing experience of running or riding in the same places (e.g., I've gotten shout-outs for snow/ice reports on common run routes in winter), and keeping in touch with fellow athletes who you used to train with but have since moved away (or have become socially-distanced from!).

But these are all network benefits and depend on having a tribe of like-minded friends on Strava who value the same things that you do. Some clubs default to a leaderboard-centered competitive/vain culture, others are very different.
Last edited by: twcronin: Jun 17, 20 8:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I’ve not ever been a fast enough runner to be pace-shamed for not going faster. I’m jogging my jog, training my training, completing my race/event/virtual event...all that jazz. So y’all speedsters of all stripes enjoy that awesomeness- it’s not for me. I admire it, even if I do not aspire to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw where trump was pace shamed when he went down that ramp at West Point last week. but he did make up for it by running the last 10 feet.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's been drink-shamed lately, too, because he needs two hands to use a small water glass

Yet there are some of us here who can't drink from a plastic cup while moving faster than a walk or they splash all over themselves

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny story. Maybe related to the thread.

Around 10 years ago, we were doing a Ragnar Relay in Southern California where we had to run to San Diego. One of our runners was a young and fairly fast guy. He was 33-35 ish minute 10K runner in college and he was doing his last 13 mile (?) running leg. He couldn't run past this woman. He would get up right behind her and she would give a smile and started to run really fast and then slow down. She would run, an estimate 8:30 min/mile pace to let him catch up and then started running well below 6:30 min/mile then slow down again . The guy kept saying he couldn't catch her after he was finished and he pointed at the woman.

I recognized her and later messaged him online "Remember this person at ragnar? Her name is Helle Frederiksen, she's an itu triathlete and is training to compete in the olympics." He was floored.
Last edited by: BreadPudding: Jun 17, 20 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
No shame in running slower, even if you're a fast runner.

For me, the hardest part of adapting to a "run slow to a run fast" or 80/20 approach was showing a slower overall time on Strava. I quickly got over myself, but the thought was there.

this took me the entire corona shut down to get used to now aside from the strava squirmish im loving it
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [BreadPudding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BreadPudding wrote:

I think it's more appropriate for the "How hard would you go NOT to 'get chicked?'" thread

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Sexist%3F!_P5118311/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BreadPudding wrote:

I think it's more appropriate for the "How hard would you go NOT to 'get chicked?'" thread

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Sexist%3F!_P5118311/

At 65 I'm way past feeling bad about getting chicked. However I still dread the possibility of being "granny chicked" by a lady near my age.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
At 65 I'm way past feeling bad about getting chicked. However I still dread the possibility of being "granny chicked" by a lady near my age.

Let's shorten that to "Granny'd" shall we? Although some women in that AG can be kinda GILF-y

Quote Reply

Prev Next