Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with pretty much all of this.

And, yes, as you said, barriers still exist.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The story of Major Taylor is an interesting one. He was a black American cyclist in the late 1800s who became world champion in track-sprinting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Taylor

I'd never heard of him before until someone spoke about him at an academic seminar last year.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:
The story of Major Taylor is an interesting one. He was a black American cyclist in the late 1800s who became world champion in track-sprinting:

I'd never heard of him before until someone spoke about him at an academic seminar last year.

Yes, if you want to read a true-life adventure about an incredible athlete with some eye-popping details (racial and otherwise), I would highly recommend this outstanding book:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:

If I understand correctly, he was the first international sports superstar

Imagine Muhammad Ali on wheels

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's been movie talk for years now, but the funding has never quite come through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:

Explain these teams racing in Europe at the highest level?

https://qhubeka.org/...-into-the-spotlight/

https://nttprocycling.com/

I am getting confused. You want to engage but then you don't want to engage but then you want to engage? What's up here?

As you might guess, l am not nor never claimed to be an expert on world sport. The article that l linked in the OP (did you read the article? -- it is very short) mentioned a tremendous lack of black riders in European professional cycling teams. Your links are very interesting, but are you saying the statistics mentioned in OP article are wrong?

I think l mentioned this earlier, but it bears repeating. Europe has a population of nearly 750 million people. That is A LOT of people, well over double the population of the United States. Not sure exactly how many African Europeans live in Europe and how many are immigrants and how many are native born, but l imagine that both numbers are a lot more than zero.

Anyway, out of all this, according to the claims of the article (the one linked in the OP), there are just 10 black professional road riders in Europe. Why exactly this is the case we can discuss forever and never know the answer.

Just 10 black pro riders.

Call me crazy, but to me that seems low.

I'm sure you can find racists in every European country but if racism is what is preventing non-whites from participating and making it to the highest levels of cycling it must be particular to the sport given that soccer teams have tons of non-whites. I would think in many countries disproportionately so.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
if racism is what is preventing non-whites from participating and making it to the highest levels of cycling it must be particular to the sport...

Yes, exactly.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:
if racism is what is preventing non-whites from participating and making it to the highest levels of cycling it must be particular to the sport...

Yes, exactly.

I dont agree, I just dont think cycling at the highest levels is all that interesting to kids.(no matter the race)
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It must be interesting to some kids, as there are pro cyclists.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

ok maybe it's not interesting to enough kids of color, but I'm not about to blame racism for all that. I dont know why you do other then not really being honest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

ok maybe it's not interesting to enough kids of color, but I'm not about to blame racism for all that. I dont know why you do other then not really being honest.

My only point is that something odd and interesting is going on ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nah what's interesting is I dont think you are getting as much traction in the Tri portion of the forum as you might have hoped for. Maybe stick it in the LR where it might be more friendly to your incorrect view of cycling as a sport.

Like Shambolic I no longer wish to go back and forth with you anymore on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:
nah what's interesting is I dont think you are getting as much traction in the Tri portion of the forum as you might have hoped for. Maybe stick it in the LR where it might be more friendly to your incorrect view of cycling as a sport.

You want traction?

Here is some traction. But you may want to buckle up.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/...eryone-akim-aliu-nhl

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water-polo
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So its not all the fault of white guys holding us back.
Exactly.... I think false narratives illustrated in this thread hold more people back than actual racism.

IME racism is a pretty equal opportunity thing today.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [swimbikerun66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimbikerun66 wrote:
Water-polo

Honestly, I was gonna say curling

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All disparate outcomes = racism
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:

I found some more, uh ... 'traction'.

https://www.cnn.com/...nted-trnd/index.html

Racism in sport? Racism in cycling? What?! Impossible !

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Meatysmeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People who think that cycling is the "whitest sport" have never been to South Korea or Colombia.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
People who think that cycling is the "whitest sport" have never been to South Korea or Colombia.

it's the same kind of people that think racism only exist in the USA. It's not worth listening to those ppl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:
lt's the same kind of people that think racism only exist in the USA. It's not worth listening to those ppl.

Well said. There is racism in the usa, but there is also lots of racism in Europe. Unfortunately, there is probably no country that is free of it.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
KKG wrote:
lt's the same kind of people that think racism only exist in the USA. It's not worth listening to those ppl.

Well said. There is racism in the usa, but there is also lots of racism in Europe. Unfortunately, there is probably no country that is free of it.

There is no country free of it and anyone who says white people can't be the victims of racism have their heads firmly buried in only one narrative.You are fixated on that one narrative here.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jul 4, 20 21:10
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
KKG wrote:

There is no country free of it and anyone who says white people can't be the victims of racism have their heads firmly buried in only one narrative.You are fixated on that one narrative here.
Being born with white privilege is a heavy cross to bare...
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
KKG wrote:

Being born with white privilege is a heavy cross to bare...
Being abused and attacked multiple times for being "A white cunt" certainly is...
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is pretty sad. How were you attacked like this?

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next