Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$1,100 initiation and $200/mo for my gym!!!!!
Quote | Reply
Greetings all-

Now that the season is winding down, it's time for me to start thinking about joining the local gym. Although, the gym that's close to my house is more like a country club for fitness folks - 2 pools (with Masters classes daily), tennis, squash, racquetball, 3 spin classes per day, yoga daily, 2 full court basketball courts, daycare for the little ones, a full restaurant, weight room, etc, etc, etc.....I'm sure you get the picture.

My dilemna (sp?) is the cost......Are you sitting down? Try $160 per month for my wife and me with a whopping $1,100 initiation fee. WOW!

Yes, there are other gyms here that cost less, but they are inconvenient....so my only option is to keep training as I have been or bite the bullet and suck up the $200 per month (after $25 fee for unlimited Masters swims classes, the occasional smoothie from the restaurant, and $5/hr for baby daycare while the wife and I workout).

Also, I'm thinking that training for IM's will limit my trips to the gym because I'll be out running and/or riding. Who has time to go to the gym when you're already running and riding for 10-14 hours a week. The other point that I have to bring up is that I'll be a new dad come February, so I definitely will want to be spending time w/ the baby and not so inclined to working out. What should I do?

Some other questions for you:

1) What do you get at your gym?

2) How much does it cost?

3) How many times a week do you go during the "season"?

Thanks for any advice!!!!

---------------------------

How many miles did you ride today?
Last edited by: Red Dragon: Oct 15, 04 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: What do you get from your gym? [Red Dragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pay close to $100/month in gym fees just for me. I go about three times per week, probably more in the dead of winter. I swim, run on the treadmill, lift and do yoga. (Take advantage of the yoga, it will help you a LOT in your training, especially if you're..well...not 19 years old). If they have good spin classes, that can also be a great way to maintain bike fitness when you're short on time.

I wil pay a premuim for a good gym...a place I look forward to going to, that's convenient, where I can get in a decent workout without a lot of hassle. (Hassle=scary men trying to chat me up, a too crowded weight room, a weight room where nothing gets put away).

It's a question of priorities, as a former bodybuilder I have always had an active gym membership and I think its money well spent. I get a lot of physical and emotional benefit from that 100 bucks.

Also, FWIW, going to the gym was ESSENTIAL for my sanity when I was a new mother. Really.
Last edited by: Cyborg42: Oct 15, 04 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's steep. Our local YMCAs have a cooperative membership that allows my wife and I access to around 17 different facilities for less than 100 a month. The sign-up fee was free with a coupon. At our local Y we have free master swims, free organized runs, free spin classes, free child care, and a very decent nautilus and free weight section.

I don't know how much you can afford to spend on these luxuries, but If I were in your shoes I'd seek out a cheaper strength facility and perhaps a standalone pool membership somewhere, especially in light of your projected use of the facilities in the coming months. Congrats on the little one.

Heck for that much, you could finance several machines and a pool in your backyard!

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gym that me & my husband go to is actually located at a hospital - a new though limited trend in this area. When I first went there I was bowled over. There is, starting from the top level to the bottom level: an indoor track that has 5 laps to a mile (not bad!) which surrounds a bunch of full size tennis courts - 6, I think; another area with treadmills, elliptical machines, stair steppers, stationary bikes, etc; a well equipped weight area, a bunch of full size basketball courts, squash and racketball courts - 3 of each, a spinning room, a full sized pool with 6 lanes, a therapy pool, a spa (massages & stuff), and a huge carpeted locker area with a lounge and tv. Also in the locker area are a steam room, sauna and hot tub - each hold at least 10 people comfortably. There is also a masters program, baby sitting, and there was a running clinic for a while, too. I'm sure I'm missing stuff - I don't take advantage of even half of what's there.

I think it costs about $150/month for both of us (he pays). The initiation fee was steep, but you can get free services up to the amount of the fee, a massage at the spa for instance, plus personal trainer evaluation, etc.

It's about 2 miles from home. During the summer I'll only go there a couple of times a week, but last winter with all the snow and ice on the ground I was there almost every morning. I even did an 18 mile run indoors preparing for Boston, half on a treadmill, half on the track.

I sometimes feel I'm not there enough to justify the cost, but I would go nuts if I didn't have it available when I need it. It's an indulgence, I guess, but it's worthwhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've been a member at my gym for 5 years now. with an initial $250.00 fee then $25 (plus tax) per month.

gives me access to 2 different locations. one has a great cardio and weights area. the other has spin classes, tennis courts, 25m pool, massage and physio thearpy on sight. (and a salon that offers waxing that more men should take advantage of)

during the tri season i'm not there very often...maybe 2-3 x month when i sleep in and miss swimming with the group. off season i'm there 2-3x a week.

k

p.s. that $25 is in loonies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gym is 145/mth with an initiation of $2000. I consider it money well spent. We have a 4 lane 25 yard pool, a fully equiped gym, squash courts, spin classes and there is an organized masters group that swims at lunch (the gym pays our annual masters dues so that we can race in the club's name).

The gym is close to my office. I ride my bike to and from the train station and then take a train to work. I use the gym as a place to change and store stuff. It actually allows me to spend more time with our little one and to stress my wife a little less as without the gym she would have to drive me to and from the train (only one car) and I wouldn't be able to sneak workouts in here and there during the workday.

The pool was obviously the critical factor for me. My suggestion is that a gym close to work is more practical than a gym by the house. If I tried to work out at home I would make it a lot less.

Very poorly drafted response, sorry.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes!!! $160 per month

I pay for unlimited usage of my local Bally's club for $24 a month and the first month was free.

I swim there in the summer 2 times a week and 4 times a week in the winter. In the winter months I run on the track or treadmills and sometimes use the weights.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am increasingly appreciating that I live in a low cost-of-living area!!! WOW!

I pay $250.00 a YEAR for full gym membership that includes: 6 lane 25 yd. pool., great weight room, aerobics room (treadmills, stationary bikes, and ellipses), huge gym, and classes for everything under the sun! I go 3x/week for swimming and weights while tri training... I'll go a lot more when I'm done with an upcoming marathon.

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from signing at the gym down the street where I live. I just moved back to Brazil and I pay a whooping US$ 20 (R$ 65) for unlimited usage Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturdays 8am-1pm. What do I get? A weight room. Complimentary towel, water fountain, and locker room. Sounds very good to me. A trainer is there for whatever questions I may have, and would even help me sketch a training plan if I didn't bring one with me, made by my coach.

A fancy gym in the same neighborhood with yoga, aerostep, power-this and jump-that, spinning and the like costs about twice as much, but it's too much hype for me - I'd rather go in, do the workout, and leave.

In Germany I used to work out at the very popular McFit chain - 15 euros/month for unlimited 24x7 access to their 20+ locations. Amazingly large weight rooms, a locker/shower room, bring your own water, and that's it. Never needed anything besides that anyway. I think they had spin classes but I never checked them out.

Last winter I worked out up to 3 times a week - as I will be doing all my base training in summer this year, I'll keep it to 2 times and ride a lot more outside =)

Greetings,

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are close to a Y - join there. I find when in full training mode I only need a gym to swim. The free child care is a plus. You won't find a better value out there.

I set up a "home" gym in my basement with treadmill, bike trainer, free weights, multi machine and a TV/DVD for less than 2.5k (may seem steep - but oh it's nice to just hope down there and workout whenever - especially for a new parent)

Good luck

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$160 per month---Ouch!!!!

Have you asked if they will waive the initiation fee? Most gyms that I have been a member of waived the initiation fee as a "favor" to a new member.

My fiance and I currently pay $90 per month for spinning, yoga, pilates and stretching classes. Free weights and machines are also available. As the weather gets colder i will be at the gym 6 days a week, with runs thrown in as the weather allows.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you get from your gym? [here&anon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim at the Jr high for a buck a swim $12 a month and the weights are free. Isn't that a song ? I run in any weather .Bike when the snow isn't to deep then a mag trainer . $160 a month. Wow ! I might be sick !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone seems to pay so much!

I pay $65/month for a full membership at my Y - that includes two gyms, two basketball courts and a pool. The only downside - the pool often has teams working out, so I'm best swimming at 5:30 AM. On the plus side, they offer cheap babysitting. I go 4 times a week during the "season" -- but since Ironman Canada, I haven't been on the inside of the gym except to play basketball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow-that initiation fee is huge. I'd have a hard time caughing that up.

here's my rundown...

-initiation fee, 300.00

monthly fee--about 70.00

included:

-unlimited use of cardio room (huge and has everything under the sun)

-weights (they're ok, I go to a different place for real weight training)

-the pool--always clean and well kept

-hot steam room (yeah baby)

-hot whirlpool tub thing (very nice)

-and classes, which I never go to

-basketball courst, again, have never stepped foot in one

-outdoor pool in the summer that's for leisure

-spa, massage and all of that crap.

it's pretty nice, and I can stay on the treadmill forever. no one says a word. use it for pool and treadmill, plus my best friend goes which is huge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put my wife to work at the Y. We still have to pay 15 dollars a month but she has that taken out of her check.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: What do you get from your gym? [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these are excellent points. with that type of initiation fee, you could quite a bit at home. I'd consider that before joining up--long term it's a better investment. (but, not everybody digs the home thing...just doesn't work for some).

kitty
Quote Reply
Re: What do you get from your gym? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Bally's do you go to? I've been a member of the Bloomfield 'Executive' club for a long time, so it's about $12 a month for me. I also joined The Sports Club of West Bloomfield since it has a much better pool. I hardly go to Bally's anymore, but I since the membership is so cheap, I keep it for convenience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) 8 Lane, 25m swimming pool. Outside during the summer, 'bubbled' during the winter.
Good sized weight room, free weights, machines,etc.
Decent number of aerobic machines. A few new treadmills, some are older.
Spin, yogo, aerobics classes.
Numerous tennis courts, indoors, outdoors, and bubbled.
Towels, soap, hairspray, and other junk.
Carpeted locker rooms with TVs.

A) $85/month for a couple membership.

A) I swim 3 mornings a week throughout the year.
Have run from the club to the track a few times.

I'll be hitting the gym for weights and treadmill work more in the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Gym is full service with two 25 yd pools and a good masters coach - can swim just about any time and it is 5 min. from the house. Tennis/squash/raquetball for cross training.

2) 140 per month for 2 - other masters was 45 each and was a 15 to 20 min drive with more limited time so the extra cash is worth the convenience and extra ammenities.

3) 3 days a week or so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn..I get all that and more for less than $90/mo for family at LifeTime Fitness (can use any of their clubs). All the classes are free including spin, pilates,and yoga and the child care area is fantastic and free as well. www.lifetimefitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a membership at the community center in my town. under $300 for annual membership, no initiation fees, unlimited use. 6 lane 25 yd pool. exercise room is a little smallish and light in terms of weights and machines, but has enough treadmills and cardio machines for my needs. has spinning classes which i might do every now and then during the offseason. only drawback in my mind is the being a community center, the pool is used for high school and club swimming practices and meets, swimming lessons, aquacize lessons, and pool parties for the kids during the summer. but not that big of a deal as i can usually schedule around it. overall, works pretty well for my needs, and very close to home and work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use the local YMCA. I forget if there was an initiation fee or not, but the family rate is $60 per month. We use it mainly for the pool, but they also have a full feature gym- weights, aerobics classes, spin classes, treadmills, etc. They also have free babysitting, which works out nicely. That way we drop the kids off, Mrs Vitus and I get to swim together, then we pick up the kids and bring them to the pool.

The Y is a great deal.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have about 10 YMCA's in my area that I can visit. In addition when I'm traveling I never have a problem using another city's YMCA with no charge. I go to one Y during lunch which is 3 miles away from work. Full gym, 8 lane, 25 m pool, machines, etc. Other Y where I do masters is 2 pools, 8x25m, one lap, one for families. Again fully equipped weight wise and machine wise.

$50/mos. Company pays $30 of my bill.

At least 6 times/wk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quit my gym last year. It was only $50/month (YMCA), but I found it time-consuming to get to it all the time. It was a 15 to 20 minute drive each way. Instead, we bought a top-notch treadmill last December and love it. I can swim at a local community center for just a few dollars per swim and I have my bike on a trainer for the winter.

If you'll use it and it's convenient to get to, then it's worth the cost. Otherwise, I agree that you should look at home equipment.

D.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you get from your gym? [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wherever you go, there you are.

"no matter where you go, there you are." Heck of a weird movie.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next