Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I got my IA10 a couple of weeks ago. Due to my fitting needs I had to mount the extensions below the base bar but now I have some reach issues. I have a couple of solutions - from different low stack negative angle stems like Syntace Flatforce stem to some different aero bars.
I was wondering if the IA Dagger adapter stem would work with the IA10? I know it is 110mm x -16 degrees which would give me just enough additional reach and it would put me just a bit lower but I don't know if there is enough of steerer tube length on the IA10 fork.

Thanks,
Boki
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found this in the original ST article: The stem is also Felt's, and it's a 90mm-long stem with a pitch equivalent to –7° (slightly angled up)

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/Felt/Felt_downstreams_its_IA_5210.html
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boki wrote:
Dave,

I got my IA10 a couple of weeks ago. Due to my fitting needs I had to mount the extensions below the base bar but now I have some reach issues. I have a couple of solutions - from different low stack negative angle stems like Syntace Flatforce stem to some different aero bars.
I was wondering if the IA Dagger adapter stem would work with the IA10? I know it is 110mm x -16 degrees which would give me just enough additional reach and it would put me just a bit lower but I don't know if there is enough of steerer tube length on the IA10 fork.

Thanks,
Boki

Have you got a picture of the below the basebar setup by any chance?
I'd really appreciate a look and I think a few others were asking for a photo of this arrangement too.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Feb 9, 16 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how does one go about obtaining #2 ;-) would love to have that as an option!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the answer about bar stack height that I got from Ben Wait at Zipp;

"The stack from the center of the basebar to the top of the pad isn't really useful since the center of the basebar is an arbitrary point in space.
From the bottom of the stem clamp (where it attaches at the steerer) to the top of the pad is the measurement that should be most useful. For the Vuka Stealth, that is 93mm with the normal extension clamp and 81mm with the low stack extension clamp. Does that help you out? "

When I use the Zipp Vuka Fit app it works out for me now that I'm putting in a -6* stem

I'm 6'0, how tall are you?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those of you that are 5'10"-5'11" and that can fit either the 54 or 56, are you going with the smaller size or the larger one? I know Dave said go with the largest size that fits you (sail effect of larger frame). Just curious how many are doing this since most of us in this height range can fit on both.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
boki wrote:
Dave,

Thanks,
Boki

I'd really appreciate a look and I think a few others were asking for a photo of this arrangement too.

As soon as I get the chance I'll post some pictures. I did it first with stock hardware I got with the Bayonet 3 but there was too many "moving" parts. Currently my setup is with Zipp Vuka Alumina Clip below the basebar mount.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [smt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10" and went with size 54. 56 would have been very close for me to get low enough with the stock bars (fit sheet said 5mm riser, so not much room to go lower if wanted). With an aftermarket bar probably easier, which is what I've ended up going with anyway on my 54. I'm in the process of installing a Tririg Alpha C with the stock Tri155 stem and am using the 20mm riser on that bar to hit 615 stack. Reach-wise on the size 56 with this bar and set up I would have been in the most rearward position and on the 54 am middle of the road. I have 12.5cm drop from saddle to pads FWIW. Overall the 54 might be a touch on the small side for me, but gives me a lot of room to play with versus the 56 where I would be on the small end of range.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Sounds similar to my situation. Be on the small size of 56 or be on the large size of 54. Just that SuperDave's mention of going with the largest size that fits was his recommendation had me thinking things over. Either one will work, but the 54 probably gives more adjustability going forward without running into issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boki wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
boki wrote:
Dave,

Thanks,
Boki

As soon as I get the chance I'll post some pictures. I did it first with stock hardware I got with the Bayonet 3 but there was too many "moving" parts. Currently my setup is with Zipp Vuka Alumina Clip below the basebar mount.

Here is the link with some pictures:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4mombVj6z6dcFRFdEpZUW9TVjg&usp=sharing

Let me know if you need some specific view angle.

Unfortunately when I did set up with the original Bayonet 3 hardware I didn't take any pictures.
The BTA bottle holder is there just for training purposes. My race setup will be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The second to last picture looks like the right setup. The first three, with the undermount and straight bars where you arms and hands are below your elbows, no bueno at all. In fact, slower than stock. I know a few that have the undermount and dropped arms/hands and I shake my head that they paid money for the setup.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just last two pictures were taken with both wheels on the ground. The rest of them were taken with the bike on a bike stand where the bike was hanging with just front wheel touching the ground.

Last edited by: boki: Feb 9, 16 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boki wrote:
Dave,

Thanks,
Boki

It would fit on the IA10 but leave an open void because it was designed to have the brake covers bolt-on.
Can you not move the arm rests on the extensions to the reach position you need?

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [cpotter88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cpotter88 wrote:
how does one go about obtaining #2 ;-) would love to have that as an option!

That is not a production piece, it was just drawn and printed.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shredz2000 wrote:
the 56 where I would be on the small end of range.

shreadz,
That's where I would have put you with 615.
Just as you've been creative with your bar spec to get to 615 on a 54cm you could have gone the other direction on a 56cm if you ever wanted to get lower/shorter.

smt,
Bigger is better for IA and triathlon.

unless you've got a big gap between arms and base bar (+6cm) try to have no gap and fill the area under your arms with frame/headtube.

-SD

Quote Reply
Post deleted by shredz2000 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Quick question: are we locked into the stock stem with the IA 16? Any reason I couldn't use a standard 31.8 stem or one of TriRig's Sigma stems? I'm seriously considering the new IA 16 with an Omega front brake, Sigma stem, and 3T's new aero bars.

You have only ~29mm of exposed steerer tube to work with above the compression ring of the top bearing of the headset. There's also limited room because of the recess the stem tucks into.

TriRig seems to work although I haven't seen their stem nor done any ISO and/or fatigue testing of the clamp with our steerer.

SD

Dave, speaking about the stem, can you clear something up for me? I've seen it reffered to in this thread (or maybe in one of the reviews) as a 90 mm + 6* stem. I realize that either way you put a 6* stem it will have a rise, but looking at the pictures:

It looks to me like it is in the -6* position. Am I correct?

I bring this up because I'm ordering a Zipp Vuka Aero to be installed with my size 56 IA16 looking for a 627 mm pad stack. The bike and the bar will arrive at the shop tomorrow. When I was fit for the bike last week, the fitter thought I had plenty of stack space on a 56.

Sunday I started messing with the Zipp Vuka Fit app. I was using a +6* stem and it was getting pretty tight. Using -6 this morning, it all looks good again.

yes, -6 degrees down relative to the steerer whereas 0 degrees would be perpendicular to the steerer.
-SD

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Pflughound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pflughound wrote:
SD - Thank you for these consistent updates. One thing I haven't seen on here yet. My wife just got the IA10 and is super excited about it. When picking it up after her fitting at the LBS, they mechanic and fitter recommended keeping the battery junction box cover off of the bike. They said that the Torx t9 screw is easily stripped and will become a problem after multiple removal attempts for charging purposes. Without the cover on: 1. The front end doesn't look as clean. 2. The junction box cables rub a little with the brake cable 3. Worried about liquid and debris getting into the opening. When we put the cover back on, we could tell that one of the screws was already pretty stripped. Is this a known issue or is this something the LBS should deal with considering it's a brand new bike?
Thanks!

I'm a practical guy so I also recommended to consumers they leave the covers off their IA when we introduced that model with aero brake covers. I hadn't realized that vanity was more important than access to the brakes for adjustment between training and racing wheels and swapping alloy-compound and carbon compound pads.

If it bothers your wife to leave the Di2 junction A outside the frame for regular use and tuck it away for race day, then don't. As for the risk of stripping the bolts, that's why we changed from hex to torx. With a careful hand and very low torque requirement I'm about 2,000 out of 2,000 for removing and installing bolts without stripping them. Your results may vary.

the junction A 5 cables can be shrink wrapped for added protection once the aerobar extensions trimmed and position identified. This protects them from any wear.

Debris can also enter the opening in the frame at the cable wire slot entry on the storage box on the top tube. The frame is not sealed.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ilsapproach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilsapproach wrote:
I have a fit question on the IA-16. I can't seem to decide if the stack and reach will fit me or not. My current fit coordinates (from a Retul fit) are:

BB to top of pad 713mm
BB horizontal to back of the pad 436mm
Frame stack 564mm
Frame reach 443mm
Tip of saddle reach 437mm
Arm pad drop -39mm
Seat tube angle 80degrees

(I have other coordinates that I don't know if would help or not)

It looks like the IA 16 58cm would fit me, but I'm not sure. I'll have to travel to find a felt dealer who deals in TT bikes, so before I go on a trip, I'd like to be sure (or reasonably sure).

Making assumptions on you being able to fit a "normal" hand position and ride a "normal" saddle height, you should be fine.
I don't agree that frame reach has much to do with the actual fit band on the Felt IA. This can be +/-4cm.
What is your saddle height out of curiosity.
-
SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
boki wrote:
Dave,

Thanks,
Boki

It would fit on the IA10 but leave an open void because it was designed to have the brake covers bolt-on.
Can you not move the arm rests on the extensions to the reach position you need?

-SD

Thank you for your reply.

Moving arm rests on the extensions is one possible solution, but if I do that, I need extra long extensions since the stock extensions are already on the short side - I have very long forearms. Also, I would have a pad stack issue since my extensions are mounted below the base bar and it might happen that the pads are lower than the base bar. I'll try and see how it goes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp Vuka Alumina 110 extensions might be just what you need;

They come long and they are meant to be trimmed at either or both ends.

(my IA15 came shop yesterday. I'm going over there later)

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Feb 11, 16 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could you send drawing file? in the process of having a IA16 built up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Another option is the new Profile Design V4+ Aluminum. Similar design, with under bar mounts. http://www.profile-design.com/...aerobars/v4-aerobar/

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Yes, it is on my list of possible solutions. Although, longer flat or negative angle stem would give me a bunch of different options. I really like the stock stem - cable routing and how it fits front tube and CalPac cover - but, I suppose that Felt will not have different length/angle options...

You will love your IA. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave - in addition to working a redesign of the front storage box, can you confirm if Felt is working on anything similar to the seat tube storage box Trek and QR have? I would imagine there are patent issues there as well but would be helpful to know if I should wait it out for something from Felt or get one of the other designs already out there.

For ST - is there a consensus on which storage option (Trek or QR) is preferred>? There have been some discussions but wondering if anyone feels one of the two is definitively the way to go.
Quote Reply

Prev Next