Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good bike rack for the SC. I don't like the way my old one straps the bike down.

Which rack are you using now? I can give you some personal recommendations from the multiple ones I've used and owned.

Older Yakima that has three straps. I have to really wrench it down to hold the bikes. Not wanting to put the new SC on there.

So I highly recommend a hitch rack if you are not using one now. They are the most secure racks and you get plenty more options. My current rack is a Kuat Sherpa 2.0, works really well. But I'm moving to a new Saris MTR soon and I'd highly recommend one after checking it out in person. Basically any tray rack works the best where it doesnt contact the frame for the best hold. Thule T2, Saris Superclamp EX have also been used by me in the past and work well.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also posted the L and XL charts on my other thread. If you want to view them you can check them out HERE. But keep the Speed Concept questions in this thread please & thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant, thanks for all of the info! I'm on a small frame too, so hopefully won't have to completely dismantle the speed fin.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Clausfj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clausfj wrote:
Hi

I don't know if this is off topic?

I am looking for parts for a SC9 Gen 1 and it's hard to find parts for those old models in the shops.

If anybody have a Bontrager Speed Concept Gen 1 Race X Lite Stem 10/100mm. (Low/Far) or a
Bontrager Speed Concept Gen 1 Front Break Cover White Size L. They don't use anymore I will be a happy buyer

Claus.

You should contact your local dealer, they can order the parts from Wisconsin. I got a new 10x100mm stem for my Gen 1 SC two years ago that way.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
I have question to Bontrager Mono Bar Plug in owners. I'm trying to have praying mantis extensions position.
Just recently purchased mono bar, and the problem is that clamps don't hold my extensions very well, it is still can move left and right. The clamps sign shows that torque should be 7nm, i used even 8nm , it is still can move. Does any one have similar issue? Should i try to use more torque?

Don't use more torque. Have you added installation paste?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try carbon fiber friction paste. It helps a lot in these situations.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Draft box popping off. Does this happen? I have never had it happen to me but I always tape it so not sure? I hate the electrical tape as it looks bad and hard to find the color to match celest lol!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the little button on the bottom of the draft box fully engaged? If it's not pushed all the way down and engaged, it will pop out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a hitch tray rack and it works great. The only thing I sometimes get worried about is transporting when my disc is installed (or even my 808's sometimes) and the impact the wind is having on the bike. It sort of seems like a sail sitting back there. I have a roof mount as well, and with the disc installed I had to pull over once to cram the bike in the trunk because it was bouncing around so much in a heavy cross-wind. Anyone else get nervous with this or am I being ridiculous? When it's on the hitch I can't stop watching the rear view mirror, and when it's on the roof I can't stop watching the sunroof!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Older Yakima that has three straps. I have to really wrench it down to hold the bikes. Not wanting to put the new SC on there.

I use the Saris SuperClamp, but it does require a hitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
I have question to Bontrager Mono Bar Plug in owners. I'm trying to have praying mantis extensions position.
Just recently purchased mono bar, and the problem is that clamps don't hold my extensions very well, it is still can move left and right. The clamps sign shows that torque should be 7nm, i used even 8nm , it is still can move. Does any one have similar issue? Should i try to use more torque?

Use carbon fibre paste. Works perfectly. Do not over torque it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to replace the two bolts holding on the front brake (the ones that actually screw into the front fork) of 2018 speed concept . However I can only see them online as part of the front brake kit. Are they able to buy separately? If so is there a code I can search for?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe they are only available as a kit with the entire brake.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
I need to replace the two bolts holding on the front brake (the ones that actually screw into the front fork) of 2018 speed concept . However I can only see them online as part of the front brake kit. Are they able to buy separately? If so is there a code I can search for?

Those bolts are just available through ordering the brake itself. They are a specialty bolt that are seated into the brake. I assume you have corrosion on them which is why you want to replace them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A problem with the threads on the bolt. So the brake works fine just needs a new bolt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a HED Jet 6/Disc Plus combo for my 2018 SC. Any thoughts on tires/tubes? I was thinking Conti GP5000 tires, 23 up front, and 23 or 25 on the rear. Theory with the 25 on the rear disc would be to get the benefit of lower pressure/resistance since the air is already less clean back there, and I've heard the GP5000s are "less wide" than older models in terms of ballooning out on the wide rims like the Jet Plus. Think this holds up, or should I just run 23/23?

I'm ignorant here but apparently tubes can make a significant difference. Latext is the fastest, but high maintenance and more prone to burst, is that roughly accurate? I'm 6'3" 180 lbs so not exactly featherweight. Would you go with latex, if so which brand/model, or would you go for a more traditional butyl tube? I also see that they offer a GP5000 TL tubeless which seems to have good reviews on bicyclerollingresistance.com, but it only comes in 25 width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch my shop cant find this part: I am looking for the draft box part the bolts to frame and the draft box slides into. Online its showing you have to buy the draft box + this part.

Thanks

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crentist wrote:
Just ordered a HED Jet 6/Disc Plus combo for my 2018 SC. Any thoughts on tires/tubes? I was thinking Conti GP5000 tires, 23 up front, and 23 or 25 on the rear. Theory with the 25 on the rear disc would be to get the benefit of lower pressure/resistance since the air is already less clean back there, and I've heard the GP5000s are "less wide" than older models in terms of ballooning out on the wide rims like the Jet Plus. Think this holds up, or should I just run 23/23?

I'm ignorant here but apparently tubes can make a significant difference. Latext is the fastest, but high maintenance and more prone to burst, is that roughly accurate? I'm 6'3" 180 lbs so not exactly featherweight. Would you go with latex, if so which brand/model, or would you go for a more traditional butyl tube? I also see that they offer a GP5000 TL tubeless which seems to have good reviews on bicyclerollingresistance.com, but it only comes in 25 width.

I race once on latex tubes, like you read the article, got the gp5000 and switched to latex same time.
Luckily I got through the race alright, but next day front was flat and apparently tube torn somehow.
High risk with latex, forget it basically. I've swapped mine out now for standard to be safe. Get the tyre benefit but tubes not worth it imo.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will just never get this. Latex with some selent is more resistant to flats then a butyl tube. Oh well numerous threads on this, I give up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crentist wrote:

Latex tubes from silica are great, I have had zero issues with them on my HED's and GP4000.

Make sure though to watch this video before mounting the tires (https://www.youtube.com/...-XFMGDO2rA&t=46s). If you can, either warm up the tires in the dryer to make them my pliable or start with a used tube in case you pinch it, as new tires have no stretch at all and can be more difficult to mount. Leave them at 90/100 psi for a few days then go back and pop the latex tubes in.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you elaborate on latex tubes and sealant? I did a little searching, found this: https://road.cc/...ter-or-prevent-flats But I still don't understand what the sealant is doing, how it's applied, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crentist wrote:
Could you elaborate on latex tubes and sealant? I did a little searching, found this: https://road.cc/...ter-or-prevent-flats But I still don't understand what the sealant is doing, how it's applied, etc...

Use the search function: Numerous threads on this, Dan also has a nice article from a few years ago. If your not racing on latex in my view your either not educated (meaning go educate yourself) or you just dont give a shit about how fast you go.

We could debate kinds of sealant: but there is a thread on that from a few months ago. I am using up the last of my Bontrager TLR then switching.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not fully finished yet, but I welcome my Series 9 2017 Trek Speed Concept to my life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch,

Is there a recommended grease (if any at all) to use between the frame and bearing race when replacing the headset bearings?

Thanks

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may actually have an extra one of those. Haven’t looked through my spare parts bin lately but I’ll check tomorrow and let you know.
Quote Reply

Prev Next