Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Qudos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

I'm looking to buy a Speedmax CF 8.0 and can't work out whether I should be an S or M - any help would be much appreciated.
I have previously been fitted to a Trek Speed Concept, size M.
My fit measurements are: Saddle height: 745mm, Reach (saddle nose to pads): 525mm, Drop: 95mm
I'm 5'9 with a 78.7cm inseam
I'll be switching the original cranks over to 170's as well.
Thanks!

Qudos,
I'm guessing your Pad Y is roughly 614 and your Pad X is in the neighborhood of 473. You'd be a medium in the Speedmax CF as well. You run a healthy drop so you might want to consider going even shorter in your cranks to 165.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
So I finally got a refit last week. (I found a FIST certified fitter in my area)
new details
Pad X - 528
Pad Y - 622
(Changing my current bike setup to accommodate this position to see how it works for longer rides)
(Just a small change)

Cape_Horn,

I'm hoping you've had enough time in this new position to confirm it. If you're good with Pad Y of 622 and Pad X of 528 then it completely changes the prescription from our earlier back-n-forth when the ONLY bike that would fit you was the CF in size large (to get the pad height high enough) but with a shorter stem (to get he cockpit short enough). Now you're so much lower and longer that the CF won't really work anymore. Now the prescription is...

The Speedmax SLX in a size medium with 30mm of riser and the pads pushed out to the max with the short stem (that one comes stock on the bike). That results in a Pad Y of 625 and Pad X of 529.

Now, if you started riding these new numbers and tweaked them a bit get back to me with the changes and I can re-prescribe.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [east31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian. I am looking at a Speedmax CF. I am guessing that I am an XL but I want to double check as I am concerned that I won't be able to reduce my pad stack much (should I want to in the future) while maintaining 30mm of spacers under a TriRig Alpha One (apparently that will keep the stem inline with the bento box). By my calculations if I have 30mm of spacers then the mono bar will be at 30. Also, I am not sure if there are any aero advantages to a larger or smaller frame.
Pad Y: 700 (ctr pad)
Pad X: 535
6'5" tall with a 37.5 inseam.
If there is an argument for the Large then I would like to know. Thanks!

east31,
Sorry for the slow reply but if you're still working on this project I'd like to walk through a few steps with you.

You mentioned Pad Y of 700 to center of pad, I'm concerned about the Pad X of 535 being center of the pad or rear - that's the current pickle we're in in the bike industry, some measure to center, some to rear.

You are for sure an XL in the Speedmax CF. The Pad Y range on the XL is 634-721 so not only are you covered there but you have some room to move. The Pad X on XL maxes out at 533. Keep in mind that this is with the Canyon 90mm stem. You could put another stem on the there, the steerer and bar are all standard. But from your notes it sounds like you perhaps planning on using a Tri Rig bar and if that's the case you'll get a little bit more out of the Pad X as it has a range of 40mm while the stock Canyon set up has a range of 37mm.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I am not sure you can help me given that I can’t provide the requested information but I figured I would give it a shot anyway.
Canyon is currently running a nice sale and I figured I would pull the trigger on the Speedmax CF SL 8.0. Thing is, I am somewhat unsure about the frame size. My height is 177 cm and my inseam 84 cm. Their online tool places me at a size m frame. Though at the lower end of the range. At 82 cm inseam it would be a size s.
What’s your view on this. Go with the recommended size or rather size down?
Thanks in advance for your feedback. It’s highly appreciated.

Jo,
If you're still on the fence I can help. I can even help with the info you've provided but I feel I could be more accurate with one little tid bit that you might have available. Do you know your current saddle height (from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Thanks for your help. It’s highly appreciated.

I am still in for the bike. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet as I am still unsure about the size.

The measurement from mid bottom bracket to the top of my saddle is 72 cm on my road bike. I measured straight up. Quite happy with the position on it.

Cheers,
Jo
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, really excited about this. Newbie to the site and forums, but loving all this information. This is exactly what I was looking for without many LBS or tribike options to size on. Hoping you can help us out! Wife gave me the "soft" go ahead on new bikes, so I'm running with it!

Both my wife and I are looking at buying our first tri bikes. We currently ride 2011 Trek 2.1 road bikes (mine a 54cm H2, hers a Lexa 54cm H3). She has very long legs proportionately, but i question if the 54 was right for her. We have clip-on aerobars and have been fit (as well as possible) by a fitter with them. We've done a number of triathlons in the past, but are just getting back into it after a break due to kids. We were scheduled for our first IM 70.3 this year (postponed now) and I would envision us sticking with the Olympic/70.3 level. We are age groupers and compete hard, but likely won't be podium dwellers at any point. I've seen an excellent price on P2's (Competitive Cyclist), but struggle to find sizing information - and I suspect my wife is smaller than sizes offered. I've also been looking at the Canyons and it seems like a great deal with the Reynolds wheels on the base model. Thus, I've been looking at the Speedmax CF 7.0 for both of us and looking forward to what you suggest!

Here goes - best measurements I could take with our road bike setup (and a few other measurements, not sure if relevant)

Wife (she looks stretched out, but doesn't seem to bother her):
Pad Y = 676
Pad X = 345
Pad Z (C2C) = ~245
Saddle = ~ +1.5 deg (OEM road saddle)
Saddle Height = 723
Height = 160cm (5'-3")
In Seam = 75cm (29.5")

Me:
Pad Y = 665
Pad X = 331
Pad Z (C2C) = ~183
Saddle = ~ -4 to 4.5 deg (ISM PR2.0)
Saddle Height = 770
Height = 173cm (5'-8")
In Seam = 79cm (31")

Looking forward to any suggestions you have. I really appreciate you doing this and excited about #newbikeday. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian.

Hope you are well.

I'm currently looking to order a Speedmax CF, exact model not not decided (wife dictates budget!!).

I've gone through pretty much all the posts, but getting a bit lost with all the numbers/angles - not my strong point!!

I had a bike fit a little while ago, but this was on a road bike with clip on aero bars, so there may have been 'some' compromise in specific TT fitting. I've attached my stats report - although do question some of the measurements when I've compared to the Speedmax geometry charts?!

If you can give a pretty confident size idea based on these that'd be great. Another fit is a potential option if I'm on the border of sizes, but with lock down restrictions this may be a while!!

Based on the Canyon height/inseam calc I JUST make a size M, so just want to be sure S is definitely out the question. Small seems out based on the seat height alone, so I was surprised Canyon put me right on the edge. However, I'm lost with the pad x/y stuff.

Height 178cm
Inseam 84cm

Any advice appreciated.
Last edited by: GazCT: Jun 7, 20 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [GazCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posting this here but recognize it may be in wrong thread...not looking for fit advice (yet) but wondering if anyone has any views on which Speedmax to go for...i'm torn between the CF and CF SLX.

To me, it seems that the main difference between two bikes are the integrated brakes and the hydration unit?

Wondering if the difference in price between two models (assuming same wheels, gears etc) is justified?

As background, this is my first TT bike (previously using road bike with clip on bars) so I'm leaning towards the Speedmax CF model as I get the impression that it might be more adjustable and suited to me given that I will be working on TT position more over coming years.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

I don't know if you're still doing this but if you can assist with sizing that would help a lot. I am looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 or 8.0.

I am 176cm.
Not sure of inseam, but wear 30 trousers (length).
I have had a prof bike fit for a road bike:

713mm BB to Saddle
495 - tip of saddle to handlebar (using bontrager Aeolus 138)
165mm cranks

If this makes sense to you:
Saddle X 173
Saddle Y 649
Handlebar X 441
Handlebar Y 620

Thanks v much
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [zaskar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
If you can assist with sizing that would help a lot. I am looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 or 8.0.
I am 176cm. Not sure of inseam, but wear 30 trousers (length). I have had a prof bike fit for a road bike:
713mm BB to Saddle 495 - tip of saddle to handlebar (using bontrager Aeolus 138) 165mm cranks
If this makes sense to you: Saddle X 173 Saddle Y 649 Handlebar X 441 Handlebar Y 620
Thanks v much
Dan

Dan,
Lots of good info in here, thank you.

I think your Pad Y is right around 615 and your Pad X is pretty near to 470. The right Canyon Speedmax is most likely a size Small. The Pad Y range on the Small is 562-649 so you fit nicely in there with some room to go up or down. The Pad X range on the Small is 447-472, and you're right there on the edge of it (with my guess). The Pad Y & Pad X of the Medium would work as well but the seat height will not work for you. Side note here, the Small comes stock with an 80mm stem. If you needed a longer position on the small all you'd need is a 90mm stem to get the cockpit extended.

Also, and this has to be said. The cranks that come on the Small are 172.5. They are too long. My advice to you and so many others is this - purchase a shorter crank at the same time you order the bike, and if you're gonna ride with power then purchase a shorter crank with power built in. When the bike arrives pull the long crank, sell in the used market and new, never ridden and install the proper, shorter crank.

Get back to me with more questions if/when you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian, that's brilliant. I shouldnt worry about the 1cm too tall thing on their sizing chart?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [zaskar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly I don't even know what the 1cm too tall thing on the sizing chart is. You gave me good data to consider - some is just flat out factual; for example you said your road bike saddle height is 713. Well the lowest the Medium will go is 720. Some of it requires some massaging and I think you're Pad Y/ Pad X will work on the small with the stem that comes stock.

Here's the cold truth.... the only way to really KNOW your fit coordinates is to go to an educated, experienced fitter who has a dynamic fit bike and go through a process that yields your Pad Y/Pad X for sizing---- and----all your fit coordinates so when the bike does arrive you know where to put everything. That process is expensive: $249 at my place, $300+ at others. BUT IT'S SO WORTH IT because you know you're buying the right size bike, the fit is finished even before you buy, you can try different saddles within the process, have cleats tweaked, arm pad width, tilt - some much to detail and solve. Short of that process everything else - and I mean everything, is guessing. What we've come to realize is when you buy a bike from a bike shop 99% of the time the guess that the sales person is making is oftentimes less accurate than most of the on-line systems we're using. Shops shouldn't mind if you ride a few times and walk back in with an issue because nearly every visit means another sale. On-line sellers are deeply motivated to get you the right bike the first time because they don't want the return.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

I'm looking to buy a Speedmax CF 8.0 and can't work out whether I should be an S or M - looking at the PPS it points towards a small frame
I have a M/L frame Merida Reacto 4000 with clip on bars which I used for my ironman but I don't think the position could really be classed as aero.

My fit measurements are: Saddle height: 725mm(BB to saddle centre) 705mm BB vertical up saddle height, Reach (saddle nose to handlebar centre): 504mm, Armpads ~ 70mm behind handlebar centre

I'm 5'9 with a 31inch inseam Current crank length is 172.5mm not sure if that's too long for me? Frame maybe feels too big with Merida and not really anywhere near an aero position I would like to get for my ironman. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live on an island in Scotland so don't have access to a Dynamic fit bike or anything like that, was hoping to get the frame before I arrange a proper fit.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Shetlander31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
I'm looking to buy a Speedmax CF 8.0 and can't work out whether I should be an S or M - looking at the PPS it points towards a small frame
I have a M/L frame Merida Reacto 4000 with clip on bars which I used for my ironman but I don't think the position could really be classed as aero.
My fit measurements are: Saddle height: 725mm(BB to saddle centre) 705mm BB vertical up saddle height, Reach (saddle nose to handlebar centre): 504mm, Armpads ~ 70mm behind handlebar centre
I'm 5'9 with a 31inch inseam Current crank length is 172.5mm not sure if that's too long for me? Frame maybe feels too big with Merida and not really anywhere near an aero position I would like to get for my ironman. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live on an island in Scotland so don't have access to a Dynamic fit bike or anything like that, was hoping to get the frame before I arrange a proper fit.

Shetlander31,
The thing that keeps the current bike from putting you "anywhere near an aero position I would like to get for" your triathlon is the fact that a road bike's geometry resists the position that is comfortable/powerful/aerodynamic for what we do. You gave me some good info and I suspect that your Pad Y is roughly 615 and your Pad X is around 475.

The PPS is right, you're close to both. For the Speedmax CF 8.0 I want you to get the small. The Pad Y of 615 can be had in the XS, S, M, and LG but the minimum seat height on the Medium is 720 and that's just too close to what you're already working with. Pad X of 475... well, the small tops out at 472. Now, so here is the important option you need to know. The small comes stock with an 80mm stem, that bike would work for you with a 90mm stem (from Canyon or any stem really as the steerer is 1 1/8 and base bar is 31.8 - both common). So just swap of a stem. One more thing the small comes with 172.5 cranks which will work but are not optimal. My advice is simple, when you're ready buy a new set of cranks in 165 and, since you're doing that, get some with power built in - and then you'll be perfect.

Get back to me with questions if you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply i appreciate that. I had started talking to someone on the canyon live chat yesterday and when i gave them my height they immediately said medium, however when i provided my seat height i think that advice was about to change before my connection got cut off. Should i expect to see a big difference with how comfortable/powerful/aerodynamic I can be on the Speedmax as opposed to my Merida Reacto? Feel like I gave away alot of time over an ironman.

With regards to the stem, is that something they will change for me at the point of ordering the bike or will i need to purchase one separate?

For the cranks, is the reason you advise going for 165 over 172.5mm that it allows for a better position on the bike or a more open hip angle? Apologies if thats a stupid question, my bike knowledge is very limited.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Shetlander31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply i appreciate that. I had started talking to someone on the canyon live chat yesterday and when i gave them my height they immediately said medium, however when i provided my seat height i think that advice was about to change before my connection got cut off. Should i expect to see a big difference with how comfortable/powerful/aerodynamic I can be on the Speedmax as opposed to my Merida Reacto? Feel like I gave away alot of time over an ironman.
With regards to the stem, is that something they will change for me at the point of ordering the bike or will i need to purchase one separate?
For the cranks, is the reason you advise going for 165 over 172.5mm that it allows for a better position on the bike or a more open hip angle? Apologies if thats a stupid question, my bike knowledge is very limited.

Shetlander31,
The potential to be more comfortable/powerful/aerodynamic on the Speedmax over your road bike is there for sure. Funny, I believe it might be possible for your body to be put in the same position on both bikes but then the handling of the Merida would be a nightmare because it would require a whole lot of oddities (forward angle seat post, slammed -17to23 degree stem that was short, under mounted aerobars, etc. etc.).

The Speedmax is designed to be ridden in the aero position, the Reacto is not. How good you feel and how good you go on the Speedmax is - to some degree - dependent upon how your body is fit to it. In brief.... your hips on the Speedmax will be much more over (on top of) the bottom bracket than on the road bike (this speaks to power somewhat). Your shoulders will likely be much more over your elbows allowing you rest your upper body weight on your humorous bones like a pillar (this speaks to added comfort) and the front end of the bike will very likely be lower (this, and other bits, speaks to aero-ness).

Canyon will ship the bike as-is. In the future the fantasy is that we'll be able to ask for changes when ordering but we're still a long way off from that. So the bike arrives. You should tri the 80mm stem that's on there but push the arm pads out as far as they go, it might work for you. If the cockpit feels to cramped then you can purchase a 90mm stem and install. And, yes you are right on the money in terms of the cranks. You can't ride very low with long cranks because at the top of the pedal circle the hip gets impinged and you get "stuck" as you come over the top of the circle. To solve that you either bring the aerobars up (that hurts comfort, aero, and sometimes power) so the best thing to do is go to a shorter crank. Keep in mind.... if your seat height is 725 (and it might not be due to the new seat angle) then moving from 172.5 to 165 means your saddle height has to go up 7.5mm to maintain what you know/love/want.

All of these questions are good and important, keep 'em coming.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Aug 10, 20 5:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice one, thanks very much for your help. I have ordered the small frame as suggested. Will come back to you for some more advice once it arrives and i get it set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Looking at the CF 8.0 Di2 in either medium or large.

I did not have a proper fit or an old TT bike, but maybe you can help me based on the following measurements:

Height: 185 cm
Inseam: 88.5cm
Torso: 65cm
Arm length: 65cm
Current saddle height on road bike: 78cm on 175 cranks

Website suggests size medium, but after reading posts #607 and #608 I might better go with a large?

Many thanks. And awesome work, 30 pages of detailed replies and insight.

Kind regards
Strobes27

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Strobes27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Looking at the CF 8.0 Di2 in either medium or large. I did not have a proper fit or an old TT bike, but maybe you can help me based on the following measurements:

Height: 185 cm
Inseam: 88.5cm
Torso: 65cm
Arm length: 65cm
Current saddle height on road bike: 78cm on 175 cranks

Website suggests size medium, but after reading posts #607 and #608 I might better go with a large? Many thanks. And awesome work, 30 pages of detailed replies and insight.

Kind regards
Strobes27

Strobes27, Thank you for such a sweet and thoroughly well thought out post. May I still be here helping athletes get on the right bike at 3000 pages!

I suspect your Pad Y is ~650 and your Pad X is ~500. So, for a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 with Di2 you should get a size Large. Both bikes will meet you in terms of Pad Y and in terms of seat height. The Medium could work as well but the Pad X maxes out at 492 with the 80mm stem that comes stock. If the the Large is out of stock you should get the Medium a simply put a 90mm stem on that (you can order it from Canyon at the same time - or, the steer tube (1 1/8th in) & handle bar diameter (31.8) are standard so many 90mm stems in the world that will fit.

I want to go a step further in this discussion to say this... the 175mm cranks on your road bike are probably fine. Both the Medium and the Large in this bike come stock with 175mm cranks and those are too long for a triathlon or time trial bike. I suspect the proper length for you is 165 or even 160mm. Currently Canyon cannot swap out parts upon order so my advice is this...when you order this bike, go else where at the same time and acquire a set of Ultegra cranks in the 165 length* and when the bike arrives do a quick swap of the cranks so that you can sell the 175s as new, never ridden.

Get back to me here with any more questions you might have.

Ian

*Since you're getting new cranks now is the time to consider getting a set with power built in if that's in your budget. Also, since were gonna make it perfect, you have to decide on chain rings for those cranks and here's my advice on that:
1) If you only train/race on flat, and you're light, and you're a masher who likes to make the bike go at 70-80rpm then you are allowed to get 53x39 rings.
2) It's far more logical that you get mid-compact 52/36 as it's a gearing that'll still let you go pretty fast in the 52x11 and still keep cadence up on climbs with the 36x??28?? 30?
3) If it's all hills all the time and you need help climbing, and you're a bigger athlete, and you simply hate going downhill fast then you get compact 50x34.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Here are My road bike fit numbers, please help me choose between size S or M on the Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2,
The site has me in a small but does not take half inch measurements. I have never ridden a Tri bike, but been riding a road bike for years. Canyon calculator has me in small with 32 inseam and in medium with 33” inseam.

My Measurements:
Inseam is 32.5
Height 5’11”
Weight 200
Flexibility low to medium

I had a road bike professional fitting few years back here are my numbers.
Saddle height over crank 75.3 CM
Saddle set back -4.8
Drop from saddle to handlebar top -4.3
Nose of saddle to stem center 48.6
Nose of Saddle to lever Hood 65.8
Handlebar angle 25.4
Saddle Horizontal Tilt -2.5
Crank 170mm

Thank you in Advance
Ari
Last edited by: XTRMTB: Sep 9, 20 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [XTRMTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Here are My road bike fit numbers, please help me choose between size S or M on the Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2,
The site has me in a small but does not take half inch measurements. I have never ridden a Tri bike, but been riding a road bike for years. Canyon calculator has me in small with 32 inseam and in medium with 33” inseam.

My Measurements:
Inseam is 32.5
Height 5’11”
Weight 200

Saddle set back -4.8
Handlebar angle 25.4
Crank 170mm

Thank you in Advance

Ari,

I think your Pad Y is roughly 630 and your Pad X is roughly 486. The best Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 for you is the Medium. Both sizes (Small & Medium) will meet you for your Pad Y but the in terms of the cockpit distance the small's Pad X maxes out at 472. With the Medium you'll still have some room to move up/down/longer/shorter in terms of the front end and the seat height will meet you perfectly as well. I think you're writing in from the U.S. and I see that the Medium in the bike you want is in stock so there's no need for me to blather on about how to make the Small work with a longer stem if stock is low.

So, let me know blather on about a couple other salient issues:
1) that bike's gonna arrive with 175mm cranks on it. I think you should be on 165s or 160s so equip yourself to make that swap from the moment you unpack the box so you can sell the 175s as new, never ridden. Within that process you'll have to choose chain ring sizes (53x39 or 52x36 or 50x34) I can help with that decision if you want advice. Also, since you're making this change you should consider power in the process if your budget allows.
2) Bike comes with a Fizik Mistica, a good saddle, many love it. You have to be able to sit comfortably on the first half of that saddle to make this bike/position/sport work.

Get back to me here with questions if/when you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

My Measurements:
Inseam is 32.5
Height 5’11”
Weight 200

Saddle set back -4.8
Handlebar angle 25.4
Crank 170mm

Thank you in Advance

Ari,

I think your Pad Y is roughly 630 and your Pad X is roughly 486. The best Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 for you is the Medium. Both sizes (Small & Medium) will meet you for your Pad Y but the in terms of the cockpit distance the small's Pad X maxes out at 472. With the Medium you'll still have some room to move up/down/longer/shorter in terms of the front end and the seat height will meet you perfectly as well. I think you're writing in from the U.S. and I see that the Medium in the bike you want is in stock so there's no need for me to blather on about how to make the Small work with a longer stem if stock is low.

So, let me know blather on about a couple other salient issues:
1) that bike's gonna arrive with 175mm cranks on it. I think you should be on 165s or 160s so equip yourself to make that swap from the moment you unpack the box so you can sell the 175s as new, never ridden. Within that process you'll have to choose chain ring sizes (53x39 or 52x36 or 50x34) I can help with that decision if you want advice. Also, since you're making this change you should consider power in the process if your budget allows.
2) Bike comes with a Fizik Mistica, a good saddle, many love it. You have to be able to sit comfortably on the first half of that saddle to make this bike/position/sport work.

Get back to me here with questions if/when you have 'em.

Ian

Hi Ian,
Thank you for comphernsive and quick reply, so much good info there and so helpful, yes I’m in the US and will be ordering a medium.
As far as cranks which size would you recommend 165 or 160? 53x39 or 52x36 or 50x34, ( my Tarmac Now Has 52/36 and 11-30 cassette ) would love some advice, will also send the new crank to 4iiii for power meter install, do you think it makes sense to get a durace crank since I’m buying a new one anyway and price difference is about $120.
Thank you so much for your input and help.

Sincerely
Ari
Last edited by: XTRMTB: Sep 9, 20 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [XTRMTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thank you for comphernsive and quick reply, so much good info there and so helpful, yes I’m in the US and will be ordering a medium.
As far as cranks which size would you recommend 165 or 160? 53x39 or 52x36 or 50x34, would love some advice, will also send the new crank to 4iiii for power meter install, do you think it makes sense to get a durace crank since I’m buying a new one anyway and price difference is about $120.

Ari,
Let's start with the easy one.. In my mind the only difference between the Dura Ace (R9100), the Ultegra (R8000), and the 105 (R7000) cranks is weight. DA is 624gms, Ultegra 681gms, 105 742gms. In terms of triathlon weight is far less critical than drag so we ride heavier wheels that are 60+mm deep even though they are far heavier than a very shallow wheel that is say 20mm deep.

I'm a full on bike snob and I ride Ultegra on all my bikes. I also don't judge - some folks want a YSL or Hermes handbag and that's their focus so you can get whatever level you like but beyond the label it just comes down to weight and the 57gms (an egg) isn't that big a deal in triathlon.

Now, about length - I think you should go 165 simply because is the shortest Shimano makes but I also think a 160 would likely be better to avid hip impingement to allow you a lower arm pad elevation if you liked such a place. Here's a list of other makers: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...k_Database_2862.html

I think you should "mid-compact" at 52x36. 53x39 might work if you were both a bike monster, masher, and only raced flat courses. A 50x34 is great if a) you struggle going uphill and want the easier gear and b) don't care about going over, say, 35mph. The 52x36 is a nice compromise.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,
As far as cranks which size would you recommend 165 or 160? 53x39 or 52x36 or 50x34, would love some advice, will also send the new crank to 4iiii for power meter install, do you think it makes sense to get a durace crank since I’m buying a new one anyway and price difference is about $120.

Ari,
Let's start with the easy one.. In my mind the only difference between the Dura Ace (R9100), the Ultegra (R8000), and the 105 (R7000) cranks is weight. DA is 624gms, Ultegra 681gms, 105 742gms. In terms of triathlon weight is far less critical than drag so we ride heavier wheels that are 60+mm deep even though they are far heavier than a very shallow wheel that is say 20mm deep.

I'm a full on bike snob and I ride Ultegra on all my bikes. I also don't judge - some folks want a YSL or Hermes handbag and that's their focus so you can get whatever level you like but beyond the label it just comes down to weight and the 57gms (an egg) isn't that big a deal in triathlon.

Now, about length - I think you should go 165 simply because is the shortest Shimano makes but I also think a 160 would likely be better to avid hip impingement to allow you a lower arm pad elevation if you liked such a place. Here's a list of other makers: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...k_Database_2862.html

I think you should "mid-compact" at 52x36. 53x39 might work if you were both a bike monster, masher, and only raced flat courses. A 50x34 is great if a) you struggle going uphill and want the easier gear and b) don't care about going over, say, 35mph. The 52x36 is a nice compromise.

Ian

Ian,
I was ROFL, YSL or Hermès , that’s too funny. :)
Thank you so much for the input and great advice.
Will let you know how it all works out.
Thank you
Ari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

Thanks for your help so far on the private chat.

I currently have a cervelo P2 size 54 and looking at a Speedmax 8 di2 CF. Here are my details. I am pretty sure they are right :-).

Height - 177cm
Inside leg - 80cm

Saddle height - 734

X- 412
Y - 690

I currently use 165mm cranks.

Thanks you.
Last edited by: Aarbiser: Sep 10, 20 7:19
Quote Reply

Prev Next