Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The roads are mostly hard-packed gravel. Some spots are bare, some are covered with snow and ice. I don't own a pair of Yaktrax or similar footing aids, so I took it pretty easy going down the steeper grades. For the most part, I could find grit or bare-ish gravel to run on for greater traction. That's Zoe in the distance.

There are some big snowdrifts left by the storm a few days ago! The town of Iqaluit actually does a really good job of clearing the snow and keeping the roads drivable.

An inuksuk in front of the coolest place in town, the Black Heart Cafe.

Of course, Iqaluit also has a Tim's. If you were wondering how to spell "always fresh" in Inuktitut, here you go.

The warm and inviting Nakasuk Elementary School.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St. Jude's Cathedral, known as the Igloo Cathedral.

The Iqaluit Graveyard with Koojesse Inlet of Frobisher Bay in the background. The jumbled ice directly behind the graveyard is the result of the incoming and outgoing tides breaking up the ice against the shore. Farther out the ice is flat and smooth. This photo also shows just about the maximum height of the sun above the horizon at this time of year. Sunrise today was at 9:20 a.m., sunset at 1:56 p.m.

I have figuratively been on this road a few times, but today was the first time I've literally been on the Road to Nowhere, the official name of this road. It runs a few kilometres out of town and ends, well, in the middle of nowhere.

Possibly the world's northernmost mosque, near the start of the Road to Nowhere.

Heading back up the other side of the plateau.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rider Nation, even near the Arctic Circle. Speaking of football teams that wear green, forget Green Bay's Lambeau Field. Today I literally ran on the frozen tundra! (And also used "literally" correctly twice in the same post.)

Back near Zoe's place with my run almost finished. Thank you, Iqaluit, for providing such a memorable birthday run. Happy Birthday to me, Happy New Year to all!

I needed to run back and forth a couple of times in front of Zoe's place to finish my run and get the exact time I wanted. But after coming inside to take a photo of my watch, I was not going back out in the cold to run another 27/100ths of a second.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After seeing these posts, I'll never complain about running in the snow or cold again. Cool pics -- thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snowed in folk, what do you have on your feet? My ski resort run zi use OC trail version.

Today for 20"21" did 21km bike, 21km running broken into 4 parts traveling down form Utah. Too bad if it will count only as 1 run since 3 were under 4km
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realized when I was out on my first run by the canal and parliament in a year that it was your birthday today and only remembered on the way back as o was parked at Pretoria bridge....not far from your house but did not realize you are at 63 degrees north in Iqaluit on Baffin Island. That run looks epic!!!

Those images are amazing. happy birthday! Let us know when you are back into town. I am sick of training solo but even in lockdown we can run distanced and outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rolldown wrote:
Thank you, Iqaluit, for providing such a memorable birthday run. Happy Birthday to me, Happy New Year to all!

Happy birthday & happy running/swimming/biking year to all!

I will also definitely stop complaining about... pretty much everything after seeing your pics. Amazing stuff.

Good luck everyone with the rest of the challenge.

instagram | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great photos, thanks for sharing them.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 49, second day of 2021, in the hills of San Diego county, our "big mountain" in the distance, Mt. Cuyamaca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it!

Our winter hasn't been nearly so extreme, but ice has been problematic for a large chunk of the recent weeks.

That was my first run of 2021, and as a friend of mine said, it was definitely "spikes or die". I got out before noon as we were predicted to receive ~15mm of freezing rain starting yesterday afternoon, but we fortunately got a solid coating of snow first!

We got an annual pass to our local conservation authority's parks as a Christmas gift (my mom is awesome!), so headed over there. It's usually the site of a snowshoe race around the beginning of February, but unfortunately the pandemic has put that on hold; nothing to say I couldn't bust out my snowshoes for a run anyway, though!

The simple joy of bombing down a hill with perfect traction!

Just about the most beautiful spot in Cambridge.

A snack and change of sweater later, I headed back out to another wooded tract in town with my spikes; I might have been ok without them as the surface was more like corn snow (it has been around the freezing mark most of the day), but was certainly happy to have them after the sun went down.

I've always been tickled by this spot where the trail goes right through a tree, and it looked even more dramatic in the snow by headlamp!

So I'm at 59 runs now, and will definitely be taking advantage of the snowy trails again tomorrow before it's back to work (and not having a vehicle available, so just running around my neighbourhood) on Monday.

Quote | Reply
great pics!

half way through-now @ day 50 and at least 100 people are 'on pace'--congratulations!!

keep up the great work folks

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations everyone for getting to the hump.

I am a firm believer of the benefits of this challenge and have learned that it’s not about speed or distance but perseverance.

Learn to run easy and you will succeed.

Good luck with the second half.
Last edited by: triordie1994: Jan 3, 21 20:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
Day 49, second day of 2021, in the hills of San Diego county, our "big mountain" in the distance, Mt. Cuyamaca

when i lived in vista, and my factory was in san marcos, i used to fairly routinely shoot up there. i'd say in a B&B in julian, and i'd ride the cuyamacas, and i'd run in the cuyamaca state park. that was about the best running there was, for me, back then. just about the only reason i didn't move to julian instead of where i moved now is that your dogs were not allowed to run with you in cuyamaca state park. right there on engineers road, across the street from lake cuyamaca, i had my eye on that area. tom warren (ironman legend) had a cabin there. i believe many of the homes there went up in the cedar fire.

that whole area is a gem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev, your photos brought back memories of one of my favourite running routes when I lived in Ottawa. I would start near the Bagel Shop on Wellington, make my way to Dow's lake, follow the canal to Parliament Hill and then back home along the river. My last year of living there though was when the hill behind the Supreme Court starting crumbling down on to the foot path, so I usually to crossed over into Gatineau (Hull back then I believe).

Did they ever re-open that section behind parliament hill, I remember it being closed for a really long time?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
coyote pelon wrote:

when i lived in vista, and my factory was in san marcos, i used to fairly routinely shoot up there. i'd say in a B&B in julian, and i'd ride the cuyamacas, and i'd run in the cuyamaca state park. that was about the best running there was, for me, back then. just about the only reason i didn't move to julian instead of where i moved now is that your dogs were not allowed to run with you in cuyamaca state park. right there on engineers road, across the street from lake cuyamaca, i had my eye on that area. tom warren (ironman legend) had a cabin there. i believe many of the homes there went up in the cedar fire.

that whole area is a gem.

👍. 😎😎😎
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 50 of Challenge, 50 days running. Tami21 and coyote pelon. A father/daughter running/tri/etc. team.
Just for demographical fun - in this challenge, anyone else participating with another significant person? How many years doing this challenge? Oldest/youngest person participating in the challenge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
❤️such fun!

Last edited by: Tami21: Jan 3, 21 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Hey Dev, your photos brought back memories of one of my favourite running routes when I lived in Ottawa. I would start near the Bagel Shop on Wellington, make my way to Dow's lake, follow the canal to Parliament Hill and then back home along the river. My last year of living there though was when the hill behind the Supreme Court starting crumbling down on to the foot path, so I usually to crossed over into Gatineau (Hull back then I believe).

Did they ever re-open that section behind parliament hill, I remember it being closed for a really long time?

the path behind parliament is open to the locks up to Chateau Laurier/Wellington except the section from west block descent of the hill to the foot of the locks appears to be snow covered. The West Section heading behind Supreme court to war memorial is open and cleared of snow. In terms of the Quebec side, technically during lockdown we are asked not to cross the border (it is legal though), although all kinds of people are crossing for a variety of items. I am choosing to not to (even though I want to go across the Gatineau Park and XC ski) as I don't want to deal with any altercations with police during a lockdown. Sadly I don't trust that I would be dealt with fairly and I won't be able to hold back debating about civil liberties even though I have the law on my side. We are always taught to veer waaay clear because people who look like me generally don't get the benefit of the doubt with law enforcement or border security. Its the way it is. Better to avoid any potential confrontation. Hopefully three weeks till lockdown ends and I can feel comfortable crossing the bridge to Quebec to ski and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing Chris!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 50 breaks my previous running streak by 46 and feeling better all the time. Have run through a blizzard, rain, icy roads and cold but having a blast. Just go some spikes to try and its snowing again tonight. The 100/100 challenge is doing just what I needed and I am building my base and am feeling less sore and stronger all the time. Times have also started to come down. Do not have anyone to run with but see one other runner most mornings and we have enjoyed a few miles together. Started the 100/100 on my 69th birthday.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JCM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you. Keep it up. Thanks for sharing . For me , 77 years coming up.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
So yes I support 50/50.

I'll go make more bibs

Circling back - so the 50/50 [if it's actually on & going to be its own challenge?] starts January 4, 2021 in order to conclude on the same day as the 100/100?

My take on the 50/50 bib is up on my IG

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJoUw5mHNG9/

PM me if you want one

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
Just for demographical fun - in this challenge, anyone else participating with another significant person?
Last year I got my wife hooked on it as she was building for Boston. This year she's "ahead" of me again with 56 runs to my 50.

coyote pelon wrote:
How many years doing this challenge?
This will be her 2nd and my 3rd.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Good for Team mgeer ! Thanks for sharing. Boston!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have enjoyed this challenge the past several years but have decided that I needed a bigger challenge so I decided to crash my bike on a cross ride at the end of November and break a bunch of ribs :( I cannot believe how 'impactful' that injury is - see what I did there :) I lost six weeks of running (but still ended with my best annual mileage ever of 4,100km - with 2,300kms run while deployed in South Sudan (many of those kms were just me running away!).

I am slowly starting to return to running but cannot put out much effort or breathe deeply yet. The challenge tells me that I need to run somewhere north of 80 times in the next 50 days but as I am a mere mortal (looking at you Mr. Bluestacks) I will have to see how it goes. I may use a bunch of doubles to try and kick start my return with some shorter runs.

I do enjoy seeing the different approaches to this challenge and the wonderful pictures - so thanks to all of you for sharing.

Happy New Year to everyone and best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2021!

Michael
Quote Reply

Prev Next