Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TRISandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRISandy wrote:
Well, I went for 23 runs in 28 days in my first 100/100 challenge. I was excited to do more, but my wife and I signed up for a 50k and after a week I realized that long runs, cross training, and rest days don't exactly fit well with this challenge.

I am going to bow out now and take the loss this year. I am excited for this to come around again next year and hopefully I will be in a better place to go all the way.

Best of luck to everyone! Keep on grinding away!

Hmmm... This challenge is what you make it. I think you should think through your plan and approach to the challenge. I really can't think of anything MORE useful for a 50k than this challenge is.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today, for me was lydiard style hill bounding, with strides in between each hill. Then I extended out to 15 miles. Ive been doing these for 4 weeks now. Today was the first "all-out" day to failure. #8 was a bit of a flail.

Tomorrow we will play by ear.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Today, for me was lydiard style hill bounding, with strides in between each hill. Then I extended out to 15 miles. Ive been doing these for 4 weeks now. Today was the first "all-out" day to failure. #8 was a bit of a flail.

Tomorrow we will play by ear.

Sounds good - you’re killing it. Nice work.

Yeah play by ear is the best. Sometimes endurance comes knocking and it’s easy.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 29, Coronado,CA
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Dec 13, 20 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant to post this at the start of December...

I was looking for a way to motivate myself to keep running this fall, so. I decided to try running 1k on Nov. 1, 2k on Nov. 2, 3k on Nov. 3, etc., adding one more kilometre of running each day, and seeing how far through the month I could get.

I got this idea from reading about 2018 Boston Marathon champ Des Linden doing it. Except she did it in October (31 days) and she did it in miles, not kilometres, which is totally studly.

On Nov. 1, off I went, running 1k – hey, this is easy! The next day I ran 2k, and made the biggest day-to-day increase, percentage-wise, of the month. When I told a running friend that I now had it in the bag, he smiled and said something like, “it doesn’t always work like that.”

The first week was easy, seven runs for a total of 28k. I even had time to squeeze in a 124k Saturday ride on my hybrid bike. I thought I might have blown it, as after that ride I was sore all over — hands, arms and shoulders as well as legs and butt. Fortunately it was just an 8k run the next day and things were fine.

The second week of 77k was also pretty easy, though the distance was adding up quickly. I started doing double runs, with longer runs in the morning.

On Sunday, Nov. 15, I did my longest run of the month, but just 15k. From then on it was double runs and four days of triple runs the rest of the way. Things were tough but manageable during the third week of 126k. As long as I ran at least half of the daily distance in the morning, I felt able to finish the rest of the day’s distance in the afternoon/evening. I did a couple runs at lunch, but most runs took place before or after work.

Staring Monday, Nov. 23, I ran the same 14k route first thing in the morning for the next eight days, then finished whatever distance needed to be done after work. Snowstorms on Nov. 23 and Nov. 25 made for poor footing and tough going, but those were the only two bad-condition runs of the month – overall we had an amazing November for running. The fourth week’s total was 177k, by far my biggest week ever, but I still needed to run 59k in the next two days.

During my noon run on Nov. 29 I felt for the first time that I would be able to get through the month, and indeed I did, doing a run in the afternoon and then three runs totalling 30k on Nov. 30. The total distance of 465k is by far the most I’ve ever run in a month.

A couple of thoughts:

• I don’t know if Des Linden did them in October, but I couldn’t have completed this without doing double runs (and triples near the end of the month).
  • The weekly distances were 28k, 77k, 126k and 175k. Hmm, I’ll have to do some intricate calculations to see if that violates the “don’t increase your weekly distance by more than 10 per cent” rule.
  • This challenge is really back-end loaded (duh). After the run on Nov. 15, I was halfway through the month but had run barely 25 per cent of the distance. After 21 days of running, I had completed less than half the total distance. And after my morning run on Friday, Nov. 27, I had exactly 100 km left to run by end of day Monday.
  • I got to know the pavement on the west side of the Rideau Canal between Dow’s Lake and the Ottawa River really, really well – that’s where I did pretty much all of my runs.
  • The Slowtwitch 100 runs in 100 days challenge started Nov. 15. Since then, as every run of mine was 30 minutes or longer, I started logging my runs for that challenge. Despite running 35 times in the first 16 days of the challenge, I was only in 4th place out of 700+ participants in number of runs (though I did lead in both distance and time). There are some obsessive runners in this challenge ;-)
  • Other than the two runs the morning of the snowstorms, almost all my runs were between 4:35/k and 4:45/k – not super fast, but not dawdling along, either. I was kind of surprised that my pace didn’t slow down toward the end of the month. My fastest runs were the ones I did at noon. The ones I did in the dark always seemed faster than they actually were.
  • After running 7-14k pretty much every 12 hours for the last two weeks, I was looking forward to a few days off, but I wasn't sick of running. Toward the end, though, I was totally sick of showering and changing clothes. For the last three days of three runs/day, I gave up on both; after drying off after a run, I just changed into the next set of running clothes, then showered after the day’s last run.
  • This was a fun challenge but I can’t say I’d be in a hurry to do it again. But IF I tried it again, I guess I’d pick a month with 31 days, and I’d run 5k instead of 1k the first day, so the month’s total would be an even 500k.
I took one rest day on Dec. 1 but have been running every day since then, including a bunch of doubles in recent days. I am amazed at the number of people who are running multiple times per day. Well done to them and to everyone who is taking part in this year's challenge.
Last edited by: Rolldown: Dec 13, 20 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:

hey buddy, how come you didnt want to join me and your daughter Tami21 today? We ran trails near Jamul. We could have been 3 slowtwitch 100/100 participants who ran together!

My new challenge to ST 100/100 participants. Who can run with the most other slow-twitchers participating in the 100/100? Post a photo of your group run (fyi me and Tami where 6' apart from everyone else)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
TRISandy wrote:
Well, I went for 23 runs in 28 days in my first 100/100 challenge. I was excited to do more, but my wife and I signed up for a 50k and after a week I realized that long runs, cross training, and rest days don't exactly fit well with this challenge.

I am going to bow out now and take the loss this year. I am excited for this to come around again next year and hopefully I will be in a better place to go all the way.

Hmmm... This challenge is what you make it. I think you should think through your plan and approach to the challenge. I really can't think of anything MORE useful for a 50k than this challenge is.

I totally agree that this challenge could aid in the build towards a 50k, but for me trying to run 100 days straight in the lead up to an ultra would be a recipe for disaster. I joined this challenge with the goal to get the 2020 pandemic monkey off my back and get back into a regular training routine, but I now that a 50k on the horizon I have all the motivation I could need.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TRISandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRISandy wrote:

I totally agree that this challenge could aid in the build towards a 50k, but for me trying to run 100 days straight in the lead up to an ultra would be a recipe for disaster. I joined this challenge with the goal to get the 2020 pandemic monkey off my back and get back into a regular training routine, but I now that a 50k on the horizon I have all the motivation I could need.

Fair enough....but, no one said you had to, or even should run 100 days in a row.

slowman wrote:

Accumulated Wisdom: This is year-14 of this Challenge. Much has been learned, good and bad.

- This is an exercise in who can whisper the loudest.
- Don't try to bank run sessions early. Just trust the process. You'll probably be more successful "banking" runs, as in, performing double runs, later in the Challenge rather than earlier.
- Take days off when you need to. As your fitness increases, you may find later in the Challenge you can run doubles. Most who hit their 100/100 do take rest days.

And a regular training program would probably still get you a bronze medal. At any rate, good luck with the 50k!

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 14, 20 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRISandy wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
TRISandy wrote:

but many competitive top ultra runners do run everyday making 100/100 possible. most their runs are z2. you must be hammering the pace on every run?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
but many competitive top ultra runners do run everyday making 100/100 possible. most their runs are z2. you must be hammering the pace on every run?

:o)

synthetic wrote:
year 2 sub 20 min 5k every day one month, year 3 all runs under 4:40km pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh crap! I had the 15th of Dec in my calendar to start this and haven’t been checking the Twitch for a while...ok I’m 30 days behind.

Sorry if this has already been answered but can I enter the last 30days of runs (4-5 per weeks average) and try to make up the remainder heroically over the next 60 days???

Thanks!!
Last edited by: Bass: Dec 14, 20 8:41
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Bass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bass wrote:
Ahh crap! I had the 15th of Dec in my calendar to start this and haven’t been checking the Twitch for a while...ok I’m 30 days behind.

Sorry if this has already been answered but can I enter the last 30days of runs (4-5 per weeks average) and try to make up the remainder heroically over the next 60 days???

Thanks!!

Yes, you can. If your runs are on strava and you link them up...then it will happen semi-automatically. You do have to select the sync timeframe (2 months in your case) and click a button...so, two clicks (after your account is linked).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!! “So you’re saying I have a chance” (dumb and dumber, 1994)
Last edited by: Bass: Dec 14, 20 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Bass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bass wrote:

Thanks!!

i've been noodling the idea of a 50/50 challenge that starts in day-51 of the 100/100, so that those who weren't ready for the 100/100 can join. those in the 100/100 can also join if they want, and be in both simultaneously. i don't know if that's a good idea or not, however, it came to mind

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both the 100/100 and 50/50 are great ideas. The more people involved the better!

The challenge last year was not only fun but helped me lose weight and PB in a half Marathon at 1:20 knocking 2 full min off my best ever much younger time.

My fault for not checking the event sooner.

My challenge is now 85 runs in 70days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Bass wrote:

Thanks!!

i've been noodling the idea of a 50/50 challenge that starts in day-51 of the 100/100, so that those who weren't ready for the 100/100 can join. those in the 100/100 can also join if they want, and be in both simultaneously. i don't know if that's a good idea or not, however, it came to mind

I support the 50/50 idea. When I did the first 100/100 I had never ran more than 7 days in my life in a row. I organized an ST Christmas camp and ended up running 2 weeks in a row and then the streak took on its own life and I ran every day in January. At this point, I was at 44 day, so naturally I had to extend it 50, the only problem the 50th day was the day of a 50km XC ski race with 4400 feet of vertical climbing on the Olympic 1980 course in Lake Placid....so I said, "what the heck" I will just jog back and forth on Mirror Lake drive and do my 50th and finish at the finish line on the oval where Eric Heiden won 6 gold medals in speed skating at the Lake Placid Olympics and where I had qualifed for my first Kona after 12 tries at IMLP 5 months before.

So I finished the 50th, and I totally inpired, and I was warmed up and hammered the 50km ski race on my 50/50 day, and finished 12th overall and 3rd in 40-44 (I was kind of proud of myself given various ex Olympians and National caliber skiers....I was a 40+ triathlon hack, doing 50/50 and in the mix).

Sooooooo, on the drive home from Lake Placid you can probably guess what happens.

Indeed, I said, "if I can do 50/50, why not 100/100" and now the quest was on. The rest of you guys are going for 100/100 or if you want a 50/50 because I finished my 50/50 at the finish line where Eric Heiden won 6 gold medals. I realize that on ST the common sentiment is that pro athletes don't matter, but we would not be doing 100/100 in a different sport if that finish line of 50/50 was not where 6 gold medals were won in speed skating (and for those who do not know, speed skating is one of my winter sports).

A few years later in 2009 I traded pulls in the speedskating lead pack for 8km, then permantently took the lead out of T1 for the XC ski 8km, then held on from faster runners during the 5km run on ice and snow for the race win:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...s.xhtml?raceid=20143

that 5km run was too short to qualify for 100/100 (I think it was 19.xx) so I had to go out and do cooldown jogging for the time limit of 30min.

But all this to say 100/100 started with 50/50 while I was doing fairly pointy end winter sports competitions.

So yes I support 50/50.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:

:o)

synthetic wrote:

year 2 sub 20 min 5k every day one month, year 3 all runs under 4:40km pace.

yes this year no consecutive z3+ days for me. i lended myself to the community as test subject. 2 days is what i believe the body can handle sustainably.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
TRISandy wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
TRISandy wrote:

You must be confusing me with a competitive top ultra runner..... :P

I never would have imagined I would get so much flack on ST for wanting to do more biking and swimming....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
yes this year no consecutive z3+ days for me. i lended myself to the community as test subject. 2 days is what i believe the body can handle sustainably.

I completely agree. 2 per week is a much better number than 5, 6 or 7.

I'm sure your mile attempt will be all the better for that perspective. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRISandy wrote:

I never would have imagined I would get so much flack on ST for wanting to do more biking and swimming....

There are two places (well three...but, we don't talk about that OTHER one), on ST where you can be assured of getting flack:

1. The monthly fish thread for talking about running and/or biking without any swim context.
2. The 100/100 thread for talking about anything other than running.
3. again...we don't talk about that place.

TTSTTTF. :o)

In the 100/100 thread we do not acknowledge that running should be sacrificed in order to swim or bike. That goes triply for anyone who has a professed RUNNING goal!!!! I mean really, how did you expect a bunch of crazy runners to react when you tell us, "I've got a 50k I'm preparing for....so, I need to run less and swim/bike more."

/pink?
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 14, 20 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
TRISandy wrote:

There are two places (well three...but, we don't talk about that OTHER one), on ST where you can be assured of getting flack:

1. The monthly fish thread for talking about running and/or biking without any swim context.
2. The 100/100 thread for talking about anything other than running.
3. again...we don't talk about that place.

TTSTTTF. :o)

In the 100/100 thread we do not acknowledge that running should be sacrificed in order to swim or bike. That goes triply for anyone who has a professed RUNNING goal!!!! I mean really, how did you expect a bunch of crazy runners to react when you tell us, "I've got a 50k I'm preparing for....so, I need to run less and swim/bike more."

/pink?

Fair enough. I concede.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So yes I support 50/50.

I'll go make more bibs

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I completely agree. 2 per week is a much better number than 5, 6 or 7.

I'm sure your mile attempt will be all the better for that perspective. Good luck!

and as of that post that maybe on the back burner. took a nasty hit on the bike. popped something back in and was able to soft pedal home . so maybe thankful just to finish this basic challenge.

also what is this #3 that wont be revealed by TRISandy
Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 14, 20 14:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next